Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

That Old Tree posted:

~To be fair~ the post said "fantasy/apocalyptic" so, like, currently undergoing an apocalypse and not post-apocalypse.

Which, if I may be so bold, is still fukken wrong as hell.

Yeah, it's kind of a weird idea for the Forgotten Realms in particular because like, at least prior to 4e, it's ultimately supposed to be a positive, progressing fantasy world that IS getting demonstrably better. There are certainly historical magical apocalypses and lots of ruins people live in in the FR, but it's not a dying world that's losing things it can't recover - humanity is growing and spreading and becoming better is the overarching zeitgeist. The tragedies of the past are lost attempts at peace and harmony, not the total ruination of the world forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I really don't view "out of print" RPG repositories as anything but people trying to justify the existence of their pirate sites to themselves. Generally these collections contain things that are not out of print or in "rights limbo" even if you squint. For example, plenty of pay-to-own digital DriveThruRPG stuff finds it way into these "collections" depending on how broad they are intending to be.

I do appreciate that there's like 15 people in the world who have any interest in playing the Ghostbusters RPG and it's not available in any practical sense, but that is not why these sites exist, it's just a side benefit of people trading higher-demand PDFs or the content therein.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

LatwPIAT posted:

Do they care enough, though?

Abandonia.com is at least 15 years old at this point and it’ll let you download the 1986 Ghostbusters computer game.
Abandonia removes games at the request of the rightsholders. Which means the site doesn't have to go through complex tradecraft to stay up, but also means for those games the site is no more useful than a fansite or wikipedia mirror. Sometimes they get removed because they're no longer abandoned and can be legally purchased again through a digital storefront. Sometimes it's just the owner asserting the copyright, without any plan to release the game again.

PeterWeller posted:

There's a website dedicated to hosting all of WEG's D6 Star Wars rules. The only two books they don't have are the 1E Rulebook and Sourcebook that Fantasy Flight is currently reprinting as a collector's set. So I think if you can get away with hosting PDFs of out-of-print Star Wars books, you can probably get away with hosting Ghostbusters books.
Are there any sites that currently host this legendary out of print Ghostbusters RPG, without the aforementioned complex tradecraft to avoid the site being taken down? This seems like an easy thing to test.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
The Ghostbusters RPG gets brought up a lot not because of the license, but because it was written by Warren Spector and is basically the origin of storygames in the industry (ignoring like tiny FKR stuff or similar.) It's relevant as a research subject, which is why losing access to it sucks.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Are you confusing Ghostbusters with Rocky & Bullwinkle?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

Are you confusing Ghostbusters with Rocky & Bullwinkle?

Whoops, you're right, I had the designers confused. GOD WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU TO BE SO GOOD SOMETIMES AND SO BAD AT OTHER TIMES SANDY PETERSEN.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Ghostbusters was an early game to give bennie points too though, wasn't it? That is useful from a development perspective.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Nuns with Guns posted:

Ghostbusters was an early game to give bennie points too though, wasn't it? That is useful from a development perspective.

Yeah, I think it's still useful for design history. I just got the teams mixed up, was all.

gently caress YOU SANDY.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Halloween Jack posted:

[...]Rocky & Bullwinkle?

Now here's something I hope I'd REALLY like to play

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

mellonbread posted:

Are there any sites that currently host this legendary out of print Ghostbusters RPG, without the aforementioned complex tradecraft to avoid the site being taken down? This seems like an easy thing to test.

I don't wanna get into :filez: territory, but I just tested it, and the answer is yes.

PeterWeller fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jul 6, 2021

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Ghostbusters is one of the few out of print RPGs cited that is too expensive to pick up. Stuff like Star Wars D6 is readily available.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Now here's something I hope I'd REALLY like to play

Hey Rocky, watch me pull a plastic-bag hand puppet out of my hat

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
Man, it's probably easier to list the primary D&D settings that AREN'T in some way post apocalyptic...

Mystara has ancient Blackmoor blowing itself up with atomic bombs
Dragonlance has the whole "The gods of good forsake the world of Krynn and take healing magic with them"
The Nentir Vale is pretty much built around mortal civilization recovering from the devastation of the Dawn War and other apocalypses
Birthright has that whole "A bunch of the gods died and mortals assumed their place" bit of backstory
Eberron has The Last War and all its associated ugliness

Abhout the only major settings I can think of without some form of apocalyptic event being important to the backstory are...Greyhawk and Jakandor, I guess? The fact that one of the major driving forces of D&D's design is "Go into ancient ruins and steal poo poo" kinda means that apocalypses are a common worldbuilding feature

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Greyhawk has the Suel Empire and the Rain of Colorless Fire.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

KingKalamari posted:

Man, it's probably easier to list the primary D&D settings that AREN'T in some way post apocalyptic...

Mystara has ancient Blackmoor blowing itself up with atomic bombs
Dragonlance has the whole "The gods of good forsake the world of Krynn and take healing magic with them"
The Nentir Vale is pretty much built around mortal civilization recovering from the devastation of the Dawn War and other apocalypses
Birthright has that whole "A bunch of the gods died and mortals assumed their place" bit of backstory
Eberron has The Last War and all its associated ugliness

Abhout the only major settings I can think of without some form of apocalyptic event being important to the backstory are...Greyhawk and Jakandor, I guess? The fact that one of the major driving forces of D&D's design is "Go into ancient ruins and steal poo poo" kinda means that apocalypses are a common worldbuilding feature

The part of the World of Grayhawk where the original campaign was set is the Flaeness, where the Rain of Colorless Fire happened centuries earlier and the typical PC adventuring party is helping to "recivilize" and rebuild the area. https://greyhawkonline.com/greyhawkwiki/Baklunish-Suloise_Wars#The_Twin_Cataclysms

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jul 7, 2021

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

You're right: I got the Rain of Colorless Fire mixed up with the Greyhawk Wars cataclysm from the 1e-2e change and didn't count it. Sorry, my Greyhawk history is a little rusty.

So yeah, in terms of campaigns without a major cataclysm or apocalyptic event built into the backstory we have...Jackandor?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

KingKalamari posted:

You're right: I got the Rain of Colorless Fire mixed up with the Greyhawk Wars cataclysm from the 1e-2e change and didn't count it. Sorry, my Greyhawk history is a little rusty.

So yeah, in terms of campaigns without a major cataclysm or apocalyptic event built into the backstory we have...Jackandor?

I never read through the setting, but it doesn't appear so. The Charonti, the faction that has been on the island longer than the invading not-Vikings, were once a mighty civilization reduced to uncomfortable Robert E Howard-esque stereotypes by a plague.

https://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/classic/rev_774.phtml

EDIT: And the Knorr were driven to invade by similar devastation of their own homeland, so :shrug:

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jul 7, 2021

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer

KingKalamari posted:

Planescape maybe?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Sigil has the Lady of Pain's destruction of Aoskar and all his followers after he tried to bring the city into his domain, the Faction Wars, and Vecna's short-lived violation of the ban on Gods after which the Lady rewrote reality to undo the damage he did (as an in-universe explanation for the 2E -> 3E rules change).

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
..... hm

https://twitter.com/GiantLands/status/1412195388048740356?s=19

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Did he just define all D&D except weird 2e outliers like the Masque of the Red Death splat as non-fantasy fiction?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I am certain there have been Dying Earth fantasy RPGs set on a dying Earth before.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Kavak posted:

I am certain there have been Dying Earth fantasy RPGs set on a dying Earth before.
There's even a Dying Earth fantasy RPG set on the Dying Earth.

(It's great).

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

theironjef posted:

Did he just define all D&D except weird 2e outliers like the Masque of the Red Death splat as non-fantasy fiction?
Well, it's subtle, no doubt, but

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Kavak posted:

Oh, like an RPG set on an Earth that is Dying?

EDIT: Ah, should have known I'd be beaten.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Kavak posted:

One of the settings in the Tweet he's replying to IS that. Numenara is straight up just "Earth but a million billion years in the future.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Oh, like an RPG set on an Earth that is Dying?

EDIT: Ah, should have known I'd be beaten.
'If it's still dying is it truly post-apocalyptic,' I ask desperately, in fear of needing to back down about anything ever

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

dwarf74 posted:

'If it's still dying is it truly post-apocalyptic,' I ask desperately, in fear of needing to back down about anything ever

Hey guys, come try my TRUE post-apocalyptic RPG. It's set after the heat death of the universe and is built around a simple mechanic: You need to roll over 48 on an unmodified d20 in order to overcome entropy.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

KingKalamari posted:

Hey guys, come try my TRUE post-apocalyptic RPG. It's set after the heat death of the universe and is built around a simple mechanic: You need to roll over 48 on an unmodified d20 in order to overcome entropy.

The party appears in the post heat death universe. Roll a d100 for how many trillions of years it will take to once again maximize entropy. Then roll it again and add. Keep rolling it, that's what we're going to be doing from now on.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

A clever strategy, to divert attention from your compatriot's clusterfuck of garbage sociopolitical opinions to the one thing nerds love to chew on even more: bizarre, idiosyncratic nitpicking about genres and genre conventions.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

KingKalamari posted:

One of the settings in the Tweet he's replying to IS that. Numenara is straight up just "Earth but a million billion years in the future.

To piggyback off That Old Tree's point, is Numenera technically dying or is it just post-eight-different-apocalypses?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Kavak posted:

To piggyback off That Old Tree's point, is Numenera technically dying or is it just post-eight-different-apocalypses?

Gamma World is fantasy Earth but a million years in the future, and Jim Ward wrote for at least one edition of Gamma World. This is just some chicanery, not worth disproving really.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

theironjef posted:

Kavak posted:

Gamma World is fantasy Earth but a million years in the future, and Jim Ward wrote for at least one edition of Gamma World. This is just some chicanery, not worth disproving really.

Yeah, I was mostly just being sarcastic. It's the only "out" for this dumb, weird extra ingredient in the TSR Drama Soup, and I could even see that being the sort of technicality dude had in mind if he even thought about what he was saying, but it still barely rises to the level of "I'm not touching yooooouuuu" Child Lawyer Esq logic, regardless if it's post hoc or not.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

FMguru posted:

There's even a Dying Earth fantasy RPG set on the Dying Earth.

(It's great).

Dying earth as a setting is so dope.... I just wish the source material was better. Pretty hit or miss

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Kavak posted:

Numenera isn't even really apocalypses explicitely. It's been a billion years so there's tons of incredible feats of engineering + architecture around, it's implied that a lot of human civilizations just ascended into beams of light or downloaded themselves into a computer network and other stuff. There's no real explanation where the gently caress humans even came from, they've been gone for several million years and I think octopus people were the dominant lifeform for awhile. I'm sure there's a couple "we blew it up" but there's like sections of outer space that have atmosphere for no reason anyone can discern etc. It's closer to All tomorrows than Dark Sun

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

and I think octopus people were the dominant lifeform for awhile.

They were, and the first thing the octopeople said when humans came back were "Oh. There you are."

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

It's closer to All tomorrows than Dark Sun

So there are living gym mat people, eugenics, and Sex, Drugs, and Velociraptors?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

There's also Low Life, if you ever wanted a far-future post-every-apocalypse-happening-at-once Earth game where you can play a violently racist humanoid snack cake

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Battletech is post-apocalyptic. So is Rifts. So is Paranoia. So are, technically, all the Star Trek games, right? Star Wars probably counts too, I dunno if the fall of the Republic qualifies. Warhammer 40k definitely is, and the current Sigmar regime of Warhammer fantasy is, and the Old World is as well. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: After the Bomb is too. Conan games definitely are (the Age of Hyboria follows from previous Ages that ended in apocalypse, including the super old-school sinking of Atlantis). 13th Age? What happened to the first 12? How Fragged is the Empire?

Last October, a goon posted their friend's (succesful!) kickstarter for a game called The Wildsea, about an earth consumed in a day by a globe-spanning forest and the post-human species that sail its canopy in weird treeships. I bet there's fifty more games I don't even know about.

For the reading of "apocalyptic" as "the apocalypse is happening current to the game" the list is likely a lot shorter but it sure isn't zero. Arguably Warhammer 40k is undergoing a slow-motion apocalypse as the Tyranids consume the galaxy. For example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Leperflesh posted:

So are, technically, all the Star Trek games, right?

Yeah, but they never really got into mad-max apocalypse. Also apparently only 600 million people died but all of earth's major cities were destroyed at the same time.(??????????????????????????????) They developed warp travel a decade later, but after that, many cultures did devolve into mad-max stuff. And that's not even including all the horrible poo poo gene threw in random books and poo poo, the original motion picture novel off-handedly mentions people getting forcibly implanted with implants that were ostensibly used for communication and emergency broadcasts and instantly was used to turn people into sex/work slaves and then there had to be a bunch of bloody riots for that to stop. Gene was not hopeful about humanity, he basically believed that the humans in star trek had literally evolved into a superior species(except for when they hadn't and a godlike alien had to show up to wag their finger at them and tell them to stop acting like assholes).

So the answer is "star trek has never been good at worldbuilding".