Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

smellmycheese posted:

Let’s brainstorm a cool name for our dumb new company trading NFTs. What’s the worst that could happen?

https://noncefinance.com/

https://twitter.com/noncefinance/status/1412079348861923328

OK so I can understand not knowing what the word "nonce" means on the Eastern side of the Atlantic, but if not from that, where did they get the name from?

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Getting heatstroke

Can't beat hospital-provided Gatorade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

mojo1701a posted:

OK so I can understand not knowing what the word "nonce" means on the Eastern side of the Atlantic, but if not from that, where did they get the name from?

They posted the link to the alternate definition in the tweet you quoted

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
That's why nonce cents was the perfect suggestion suggestion as a slang for crypto coins. It makes perfect sense in all the definitions.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

novamute posted:

They posted the link to the alternate definition in the tweet you quoted

Normally I'd feel ashamed for not clicking on a link, but not when the word "nonce" is used.

von Vicious
Apr 2, 2015

I'M A GINGER BABY WwwWWaaAaAhhH!!!
https://news.un.org/en/story/2021/06/1094362

quote:

[...] every Bitcoin transaction consumes 980 kWh, enough to power an average Canadian home for more than three weeks [...]

quote:

Despite these issues, UN experts believe that cryptocurrencies and the technology that powers them (blockchain) can play an important role in sustainable development, and actually improving our stewardship of the environment.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

mojo1701a posted:

Normally I'd feel ashamed for not clicking on a link, but not when the word "nonce" is used.

Because Google will start suggesting more libertarian-themed content?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

If you think about it it's actually good that the apartment building in Florida collapsed because it can help us figure out how to build better apartments. In fact we should build as many unstructurally sound apartments as possible, to help us build better ones faster.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

"In spite of the horrible reality" might as well be the slogan for cryptocurrencies.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
The UN is just in it for the tech

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Jesus loving christ, bitcoin infiltrators

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

https://twitter.com/CasPiancey/status/1412512802917404672

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Nobody has ruined me! Nobody has stolen my coins!

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

seeing Keene always reminds of this segment about their libertarians

https://www.cc.com/video/dvppp6/the-colbert-report-difference-makers-the-free-keene-squad

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

ok i changed my mind bitcoin is actually good

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
*cyclops gets scammed by Odysseus*

“NOBODY TRICKED ME! NOBODY SWINDLED ME!!!”

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Should have changed their name to 'persons unknown'

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Goddammit, one of my favorite Youtube channels touched the poop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5INCV7AQTI&t=52s

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

The Lone Badger posted:

Or 'Redacted' to throw off the CIA

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The Lone Badger posted:

They should have changed it to "Your Mom."

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

I do some side work as an extra when I can. I just got a casting notice for a reality TV show about people who lost all their crypto and want to recover it lmao. I imagine each episode will be 22 minutes of someone's life story and 30 seconds of "you're poo poo out of luck, there's no way to get it back".

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

The Lone Badger posted:

NULL is the way to go. (because of this https://www.wired.com/story/null-license-plate-landed-one-hacker-ticket-hell/)

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

I do some side work as an extra when I can. I just got a casting notice for a reality TV show about people who lost all their crypto and want to recover it lmao. I imagine each episode will be 22 minutes of someone's life story and 30 seconds of "you're poo poo out of luck, there's no way to get it back".

get me on it

I want to play Mark Karpeles

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
Barclays banning Binance transactions caused some sweet teeth gnashing on UK finance subreddits which led me to the OG r/cryptocurrency thread which is :allears: to skim through:

https://www.reddit.com/r/CryptoCurr...tm_source=share

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Galewolf posted:

Barclays banning Binance transactions caused some sweet teeth gnashing on UK finance subreddits which led me to the OG r/cryptocurrency thread which is :allears: to skim through:

https://www.reddit.com/r/CryptoCurr...tm_source=share

lol that reddit is full of laffcoins waiting to be mined

quote:

Bought a shitcoin. Almost got a heart attack.
SELF-STORY
I put 0.01BNB each in some shitcoins a month ago. Get and forget.

I check my wallet today and i see 8 zeros.
Phoenix Protocol token (PHX) is at $0.08 which makes my "bag" worth $300M.

Immediate palpitation.
I know it can't be true but what if i accidentally bought into some insane rugpull.
Logic and reason out of the window. I close doors, pull window covers.
TrustWallet shows the price spiked moments ago! CMC shows the same!!!
Heart racing, hands shaking. Don't be too late!
Connecting to pancakeswap to get my millions... 0.004BNB

I was already in the process of making a "help me cash this out please" post when i found their week-old tweet saying "CMC and Trustwallet seem to be displaying the incorrect price for Phoenix. It is a glitch unfortunately."

What a ride.

During old days of casual playing lotteries i always imagined how would i feel if during numbers reveal mine would match.
I feel like i had this experience today and it felt both exciting and scary.

edit: tens of similar cases in the comments

quote:

When I copy and paste my wallet address from Kraken, the pasted address is not the same. Is this normal or a virus?
SECURITY
I think this might be a virus, I don't think I've downloaded anything suspicious but maybe I did.

I copy and pasted and address from Kraken into the Monero GUI wallet. The addresses do not match.I copied it again and posted it in a word document, it's the same address from before, but does not match the wallet address on Kraken.

I just tried the same thing again on a different computer and now the addresses match. I'm thinking I have a virus for sure now but I have no idea where it came from our how to find it.

Edit: Ok there were a few viruses, I'm not sure which one was which or where it came from. This is what malwarebyte shows me

Hijack.ShellA.Gen

Trojan.Crypt.MSIL.Generic

Malware.AI.4251292410

Edit 2: I will never use this PC for crypto related stuff in the future.

yeah, just a handful of viruses that try to steal all my money, whatcha gonna do

quote:

How do some posts get over 1K upvotes while other extremely useful once range between 50 and 200 upvotes?
FOCUSED-DISCUSSION
The other day i was scrolling through the Top posts and for real though i have seen some totally random posts with 12 thousand upvotes that simply share a silly self story thats mildly humorous.

On the other hand ive seen other excellent DD and Research posts that are full of comments but stay in an upvote range of double or triple digits.

It really makes no sense to me. Dont get me wrong i lo e a good laugh and i will upvote if something made me laugh but sometimes im really confused.

Are bots involved or how does this happen. The upvote difference between 50 and 12 thousand is pretty large and considering we have millions of members its pretty bizzare to me.

how does reddit work.txt

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
If shitcoins are valuable themselves, why do you need banks for????

Guys, I feel like I'm missing something important here :confused:

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

I have an idea for one of those signs that lists "welcome" in all different languages, but it says poo poo coin instead

pièce de monnaie de merde
moneda de mierda
狗屎硬币
Scheiße Münze

(TM), (c), all rights reserved, OC do not steal, divabot has full permission to use

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

ilovebeersooomuch posted:

I have an idea for one of those signs that lists "welcome" in all different languages, but it says poo poo coin instead

pièce de monnaie de merde
moneda de mierda
狗屎硬币
Scheiße Münze

(TM), (c), all rights reserved, OC do not steal, divabot has full permission to use

:f5: *right-click save as*

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

Galewolf posted:

If shitcoins are valuable themselves, why do you need banks for????

Guys, I feel like I'm missing something important here :confused:

That point is to prevent TYRANNY

YOU WANT THE KING OF FINANCE GETTING ALL UP IN YOUR GRILL????
Point a bitcoin at 'em and watch all those bitches scatter, then relish the gratitude from the masses

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
https://twitter.com/TheAthleticAUTO/status/1412824895646404610?s=20

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
God I loving love how every one of the replies is promoting multiple different shitcoins

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

ilovebeersooomuch posted:

ok!

https://twitter.com/davidgerard/status/1412901872499937281

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

buttcoin

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

hosed up if true

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Hammerite posted:

yeah, just a handful of viruses that try to steal all my money, whatcha gonna do

i remember someone opening a github issue for some open source project where a string they were trying to copy/paste got turned into apparent gibberish, and the same thing fell out: they had malware that was scanning the clipboard for anything that looked like a shitcoin address, and replaced it with a different one

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
"we're all early" to this thing we've been posting about for 12 years

its like how coiners used to compare it to "the early internet" except they are comparing it to 2008

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
laughing all over again at trying to own someone by saying they earn money with shitposts

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

has anyone said bitcon yet

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
a couple guys at work today were talking about shibacoin and i hope they don't end up holding a bag. they're nice kids. i hope they manage to get rich

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I hope they lose all their money and never score

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

This is all fun and games, but if someone does it, know that the implementation can be much better.

The Spanish, say, says "coin of poo poo" but contains no reference to crypto currencies.

Off the top of my mind
"Cryptomierdera"
"Cryptomomierda"
Or
"Cryptomoñiga" might be better

(last one might depend too much on my regional variant of Spanish, please see terms and conditions.)

Translating memes, like translating poetry, is nigh-impossible.

Source: I'm a professional translator.