Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Dick Trauma posted:

Since I'm doubled up on a few class types I was looking for alternative skins. Disappointed to see that almost all are outlandish anime garbage, but at least a couple of skillful people were able to simulate the art style.

On the other hand some of the fan-made Bloodborne skins are pretty much a perfect match for the setting so I like to think it evens out.

Also there's some tilesets you can install to add more variety to the environments, those are nice:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1447858689
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1434609021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

EDIT: Also, gently caress those Dagon fish-people in the cove. I wish there was a fisherman class I could bring with me to strike fear into their hearts.

Cove is where you want blight and disregard bleed (much like Ruins) plus damage-heavy lineups that can hit the rear ranks and gently caress with Guard. Highwayman, Shieldbreaker (like, she just loving dunks on everything in the Cove), Plague Doctor, Occultist (his damage bonus vs Eldritch hits most things in the Cove), Grave Robber etc. The goddamn fishstack (4 normal fish) is pretty much a damage race; forget about trying to draw that out, just murder them as quickly as possible. Guards and Shamans comes down to murdering the Shammie ASAP or dropping stun or guard breaks to prevent the drat squid from getting in the way. Oh, and if there's a Thrall, kill it ASAP.

Magni fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jun 30, 2021

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
What do you mean by "disregard bleed"?

I haven't seen a Shieldbreaker yet but I'll keep an eye out.

Kimchi Surplus
Dec 4, 2007

Daddy's out of bourbon...
A lot of enemies in the Cove and Ruins have high bleed resistance, so bringing classes that use lots of bleeds isn't the best idea.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Oh, yes, I understand that. I thought it was a reference to bring classes that might have some sort of high resistance to bleed.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

punishedkissinger posted:

how many weeks should it take to win?

If you really know what you're doing, beating the game at around one year (52 weeks) is not hard at all. Of course, that only theoretically matters in Stygian mode, so otherwise feel free to take your time! I think I finished around 100 weeks in my first casual playthrough.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Better to bring a plague doctor and patch up any bleeds you get. She'll be useful regardless as the cove enemies are blight-weak.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Although I find the quirks and stress frustrating to manage the responses to being sent for treatment sometimes make me laugh. My lovely occultist was meditating, and it went so poorly that she now refuses to go back! And my poor plague doctor was gambling his cares away and has subsequently disappeared.

Realizing that I had only one blight-er (Antiquarian) I decided to pass on the Cove and instead go into the Weald, bringing two bleed-ers, a nun and my new leper. It got close toward the end when I was up against two arbalests who kept AoE'ing my team, but I made it to the end and even got the chance for the Jester to sing away some of the leper's awful stress buildup.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Bogart posted:

Better to bring a plague doctor and patch up any bleeds you get. She'll be useful regardless as the cove enemies are blight-weak.

She's a godsend anywhere but the Ruins, really. My favorite class in the game for all that I struggle to describe what exactly her specialty is. She patches bleeds, she does blight dots, she has a great shuffle/stun, she has a not too shabby melee attack, she has decent buffs...

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

I'm usually pretty reluctant to do anything other than attack moves, but i've had some really good luck with a man-at-arms antiquarian combo. I have a trinket on the man-at-arms which gives him +8 speed for the first round. This lets me get off his riposted skill as the first move on almost every fight, then I use the "defend me" move from the antiquarian to help trigger his riposte more often. It has easily tripled his DPS.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

punishedkissinger posted:

I'm usually pretty reluctant to do anything other than attack moves, but i've had some really good luck with a man-at-arms antiquarian combo. I have a trinket on the man-at-arms which gives him +8 speed for the first round. This lets me get off his riposted skill as the first move on almost every fight, then I use the "defend me" move from the antiquarian to help trigger his riposte more often. It has easily tripled his DPS.

poo poo why didn't I think of that? That's pretty rad

Celebrity Ghost
Sep 26, 2007

Cythereal posted:

She's a godsend anywhere but the Ruins, really. My favorite class in the game for all that I struggle to describe what exactly her specialty is. She patches bleeds, she does blight dots, she has a great shuffle/stun, she has a not too shabby melee attack, she has decent buffs...

I took the doctor into the Ruins fairly often just because I can't think of any location that her stuns weren't pretty drat useful. Shieldbreaker is the same way for me: there might be locations she's better at, but a unit that can pierce armor, break stealth, hit all four positions easily, fairly tanky... there weren't any locations or teams she would be entirely a bad fit.

Flagellant and Grave Robber were the two units I really liked conceptually and aesthetically but never really could make work. Flagellant at least, had a regular spot in my Warrens teams (pair him with an antiquarian, give him his big fat heal, and turn him into both party tank, healer, and DPS in one unit), but outside there he struggled. Grave Robber seemed too fiddly or dependent on the team composition, when you could just take a highwayman or a shieldbreaker and get similar damage.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Celebrity Ghost posted:

I took the doctor into the Ruins fairly often just because I can't think of any location that her stuns weren't pretty drat useful. Shieldbreaker is the same way for me: there might be locations she's better at, but a unit that can pierce armor, break stealth, hit all four positions easily, fairly tanky... there weren't any locations or teams she would be entirely a bad fit.

Flagellant and Grave Robber were the two units I really liked conceptually and aesthetically but never really could make work. Flagellant at least, had a regular spot in my Warrens teams (pair him with an antiquarian, give him his big fat heal, and turn him into both party tank, healer, and DPS in one unit), but outside there he struggled. Grave Robber seemed too fiddly or dependent on the team composition, when you could just take a highwayman or a shieldbreaker and get similar damage.

Grave Robber/Vestal/Crusader/Crusader is one of the rudest possible team comps. Insta-gib a backrow with Lunge, then follow up with repeated Holy Lances from the Crusaders. You'll often mulch entire enemy groups on the first turn, and you have so much healing, light generation, and de-stress that you'll usually come out with a team healthier than when they went in. It's obviously best for the Ruins but it works just fine in any location.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I went into the darkest dungeon too early and haven’t played since I realized I was going to fail. 😞

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I made yet another attempt on the Cove with the plague doctor, antiquarian and a couple of fighters and made it through two fights before I had to retreat. The doctor has been out of action for weeks due to stress, alcohol therapy and then disappearing on a bender, and as soon as we entered the dungeon he said "Another run like the last will be the end of me!" and sure enough he got targeted by everything and melted.

But... I finally got a second plague doctor so I guess I can jump back in. I killed the Hag right after, so I still have some hope that one day I will finish a goddamn Cove mission.

EDIT: Took a doctor, occultist, jester and man-at-arms into the Cove and made it to the last room before I had to run due to not enough healing. Everyone took 60-80 stress because the Jester was in the #2 spot and couldn't use his stress heal unless I moved him during battle.

I just got a grave robber who can do extra damage against blighted, so maybe doctor, antiquarian, grave robber and tank?

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Jul 2, 2021

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Get rid of the antiquarian for the highwayman (He and the man at arms can both use Riposte) or an off-healer (occultist, arbalest) imo. I know you like the protect me! riposte combo but having two riposters is even better.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

But who will take care of my antiques? :ohdear:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Once nice thing about pelagic groupers is that they have predictable attacks. Rank 1/2 uses seaward slash, rank 3/4 uses spearfishing. If you have a tanky rank 1/2 you can try to pull groupers forwards to ensure they'll only target your tougher heroes and not pull back liners forward with their harpoons.

With off healers you're typically going to want 2 along with at least one other that can self heal. My favorite mark team, Arb/Occ/HM/BH only has the Bounty Hunter that lacks any kind of heal and both backliners can heal him. This can handle most situations you'll face. Plague Doctor does have a great support heal but it's risky to rely solely on it unless your allies have self healing options.

Grave Robber's bonus vs blighted is a little perk to setting up combos. She has a blight skill (though it's pretty niche compared to her knife throw) and can theoretically blight then Lunge next turn or have allies blight, her Lunge and let the blight tick hopefully finish them off. But like her knife throw bonus vs marked its situational. Lunge is her big burst damage skill but she's so fast it works better as a strong opener you hope will crit and one shot a middling enemy she can reach.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Grave Robber/Vestal/Crusader/Crusader is one of the rudest possible team comps. Insta-gib a backrow with Lunge, then follow up with repeated Holy Lances from the Crusaders. You'll often mulch entire enemy groups on the first turn, and you have so much healing, light generation, and de-stress that you'll usually come out with a team healthier than when they went in. It's obviously best for the Ruins but it works just fine in any location.

Huh I’ve never tried this I don’t know if I have 2 crusaders atm but this sounds fun for long runs in the Ruins

E; nope Crusaders just aren’t for me, I can work with them but that team doesn’t do it for me. Funny how fast you slip back into comfort teams.

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jul 3, 2021

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I decided to start fresh now that I understand which negative quirks need to be eliminated right away and which don't matter too much. Things are going well, but I just took a Vestal/Plague Doctor/Abomination/Man-at-Arms group into the ruins and it was amazing. Got in a few lucky shots and crits and it gave me a sense for how well things can go.

EDIT: I've restarted three times today because so many characters are coming out of even a short dungeon with 70+ stress, and I had no money to get them healed. I only have a couple of mods but maybe one of them has done something weird to the gameplay. In the early game there's no way to stay ahead of that combination.

EDIT 2: Yeah this game is not for me.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jul 4, 2021

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
You really shouldn't be coming out of short dungeons with 70+ stress on the whole group unless you're doing something wrong or something way unusual (like a Shambler fight) happens. Like, not using torches, interacting with all curios willy-nilly or not focusing stress-dealing enemies.

Magni fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jul 5, 2021

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Why would you install a bunch of mystery mods onto a game you haven't played yet

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

https://www.pcgamer.com/au/darkest-dungeon-2-charts-a-new-path-through-terror-in-a-roguelike-road-trip-to-save-humanity/

Solid info on the sequel. They're trying out some big changes, I like it. Shorter Slay the Spire type runs instead of sprawling exhausting campaigns sounds like it will satisfy a broader range of players.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Chadzok posted:

https://www.pcgamer.com/au/darkest-dungeon-2-charts-a-new-path-through-terror-in-a-roguelike-road-trip-to-save-humanity/

Solid info on the sequel. They're trying out some big changes, I like it. Shorter Slay the Spire type runs instead of sprawling exhausting campaigns sounds like it will satisfy a broader range of players.

Also confirms we're losing a whole bunch of the original classes. We're getting 8 returning total and a new ninth.

We know that the returners are the Man at Arms, Grave Robber, Highwayman, Occultist, Leper, Hellion, Plague Doctor and Jester.

RIP Abomination and Houndmaster :( Much more minor rip to the Crusader, Vestal, Flagellant, Bounty Hunter, Shieldbreaker, Arbalest, Musketeer, and Antiquarian

Zore fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jul 7, 2021

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

I'd be surprised if a bunch of those guys aren't added in later. That interview says they're aiming for 5 acts but only launching with the first.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
On the other hand I also wouldn't be surprised if we don't get them back either, they're expanding each class' capabilities and the new structure is to do a full run with 4 character instead of having a roster of 30 you're constantly shuffling in and out. Focusing on a smaller cast of characters to balance out and fully flesh out is probably the correct choice especially as some of them fill roles that you don't need any more (looking at you Antiquarian).

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Interesting that the only healer class in the initial lineup is Occultist. Maybe Plague Doctor will pick up the slack? Or maybe the game will be such that you don't need healers that badly

Crusader and Vestal not being in straight away despite them being pretty iconic classes makes me think that they're gonna be antagonists somehow, I remember there were some speculation that the Light the religious folks worship could be an eldritch being itself

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think ideally your tanks would have a guard/barrier/absorb mechanic to account for a lack of healers.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

jokes posted:

I think ideally your tanks would have a guard/barrier/absorb mechanic to account for a lack of healers.

The only one that was really a 'tank' in 1 that's come back is the Man at Arms though I guess they could re-rig the Hellion and/or the Leper to have a more tanky kit. The preview seems to imply everyone has 7 skills from the first game plus 4 new ones so :shrug:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

blizzardvizard posted:

Interesting that the only healer class in the initial lineup is Occultist. Maybe Plague Doctor will pick up the slack? Or maybe the game will be such that you don't need healers that badly
They might not have have outright healing builds in this one at all, considering how much the game needed to be tweaked over fight delaying healing cheese strats

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Zore posted:

Also confirms we're losing a whole bunch of the original classes. We're getting 8 returning total and a new ninth.

We know that the returners are the Man at Arms, Grave Robber, Highwayman, Occultist, Leper, Hellion, Plague Doctor and Jester.

RIP Abomination and Houndmaster :( Much more minor rip to the Crusader, Vestal, Flagellant, Bounty Hunter, Shieldbreaker, Arbalest, Musketeer, and Antiquarian

We’ll, I’ll wait and see but yeah sorry to see Houndmaster and Arbalest go, I have fun with them. Also sad if there’s no Vestal but that one I get, she’s problematic to balance in some ways. Still, Hellion 1, Highway 2, Occultist 3, Pd/Jester 4 whom i kidding I have no idea but it’ll be fun.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

blizzardvizard posted:

Crusader and Vestal not being in straight away despite them being pretty iconic classes makes me think that they're gonna be antagonists somehow, I remember there were some speculation that the Light the religious folks worship could be an eldritch being itself
They're my two favorites, so I'm disappointed, but yeah they both Express a very particular style together, distinct from most of the others.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
On one hand the Oregon Trail aspect of the sequel sounds interesting. It's kind of like the opening ceremony of the Olympics in that you are carrying a torch to the top of a mountain. I like the idea of the 'prep' animations which give a nice tangible idea of the choice you might make in skills.

On the other hand I'll miss the persistent growth and development of the game. Even the hades type roguelikes had persistent upgrades so I'm wondering how it will work in this game. Having not only permadeath but also few opportunities to recruit replacements makes me worry that you will easily fall into a spiral that requires restarting to pull out of. They changed accuracy and a few other things but unlike the first game you won't even be able to brute force your way to the end. Right now in default difficulty there's no fail state but the nature of the sequel means there definitely is, either through a wipe or I assume letting your magic torch run out before you reach the end. That will discourage a lot of players too.

As for healing there's lots of ways to work around it. If most encounters are pretty short with full recovery between them then healing is less essential. You could choose between several shorter encounters (where offense heroes will want to faceroll quickly) or a longer slog where support heroes can help offset attrition along the way.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Is there a good mod that tells you all the interactions with traps and sites and stuff? Like which things you have to give to an altar, etc.?

30 years ago if I was playing Bards Tale I would have had a little notebooks to write it down and then look it up, but I don't want to have to do that anymore, and my memory isn't good enough to keep it all memorized.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Just keep the wiki open on your second monitor.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

SlyFrog posted:

Is there a good mod that tells you all the interactions with traps and sites and stuff? Like which things you have to give to an altar, etc.?

30 years ago if I was playing Bards Tale I would have had a little notebooks to write it down and then look it up, but I don't want to have to do that anymore, and my memory isn't good enough to keep it all memorized.

Each region has enough reference data to warrant an index card. Honestly, better than the Lil mod I installed that just added a picture of the correct item. I never saw one that gave me a tooltip to hover to see results.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

SlyFrog posted:

Just in case you haven't seen it, this is what everyone uses: https://arnaud.rocks/darkest-companion/

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
What kinda bums me out the most about the DD2 interview is that you can only have one hero of each type now. No more silly, fun stuff like The Pain Train. :(

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
For those who haven’t seen it, here is the Pain Train

https://youtu.be/O1QNyN8aDCY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Some people were commenting that they are worried about the sequel because the Roguelike nature of its framework felt very stripped down for a sequel. No more accuracy, weapon/armor/skill upgrades, hamlet, and they weirdly haven't introduced any new heroes. I didn't get around to playing it but this sounds a lot like the concerns people had for Diablo 4.