Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
linguists are the scum of the earth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

catacomb 3d
https://twitter.com/emmanuel_2m/status/1395147806470455296

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

what was porter

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Dudes rock

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

if for some incomprehensible reason im given the budget to throw a giant fourth of july party im setting up that exact spread and telling people to gently caress off when they suggest its unpatriotic for there to be almost no beer but an absolute fuckton of wine from places where people talk in funny accents

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord

indigi posted:

what was porter

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

a bear thats like a loaf of bread in your stomach

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

were porters and beers really considered two separate things at the time? I’m pretty sure the term “pale ale” was common by the late 18th century, if they were gonna differentiate it from a lighter colored ale I figured they’d have gone with that

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord
its probably an alcohol content thing; table beers with <2% abv were extremely common and probably what the beer in the receipt was, while porters were the strong stuff you drank if you were looking to get hosed up.

porters also had to be made in dedicated breweries because of the aging/roasting process, while ales and the like could just be made in the tavern's basement or the barkeep's house, so porters were probably more expensive and line-item'd appropriately

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

No, but there's two reasons why they might be separated out.
One, is that the 'beers' referred to are 'table beers' - which were low-alcohol content beers whose function was mostly just safe drinking water. The other is that it might be intended specifically as a badge of American pride.

Robert Hare immigrated to Philadelphia (where that tab was incurred) in the 1770s and established a local brewery that began the first commercial brewing of porters in the United States.

John Adams, Sep 29 1774 posted:

I drink no Cyder, but feast upon Phyladelphia Beer, and Porter. A Gentleman, one Mr. Hare, has lately set up in this City a Manufactory of Porter, as good as any that comes from London. I pray We may introduce it into the Massachusetts. It agrees with me, infinitely better than Punch, Wine, or Cyder, or any other Spirituous Liquor.
Washington himself was a big fan of Hare's porters - at least, up until Hare's brewery was destroyed by a fire and the recipe to it lost, upon which Washington sent Hare his condolences.

George Washington, 1788 posted:

I beg you will send me a gross of Mr. Hairs best bottled Porter if the price is not much enhanced by the copius droughts you took of it at the late Procession.

Tobias Lear, Washington's secretary, 1790 posted:

Will you be so good as to desire Mr. Hare to have if he continues to make the best Porter in Philadelphia 3 gross of his best put up for Mount Vernon? as the President means to visit that place in the recess of Congress and it is probable there will be a large demand for Porter at that time.

I think the table beer explanation is almost certainly correct, but that wouldn't give me an excuse to post information.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/tzoumio/status/1411969752675848192

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/Manglewood/status/1412041351101812745
https://twitter.com/Manglewood/status/1412041357489807361

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
"concept" my rear end

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

several nations tried to update the idea with dogs during the forbidden era.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Wow, those pre-moderns were weird, we moderns would never try this concept with animals like bats or pigeons.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

I've played rome total war I know it's supposed to be pigs covered in pitch

Seatbelts
Mar 29, 2010
uugh we deserve extinction

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Seatbelts posted:

uugh we deserve extinction

bit harsh, you wouldnt beleive what cats get up to with other species

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

the idea was based on the flawed concept of somehow making a cat do something.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

a scared cat will go to the most inconvenient place possible so its based on sound science

Seatbelts
Mar 29, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

a scared cat will go to the most inconvenient place possible so its based on sound science

A place like the tent they're storing all bomb-cat explosives in.
that cat would turn around and run right back where you brought it from

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

yeah or straight up the leg of the handler to deliver a groin bite like that ancient viral cop at the shelter video

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

interesting look at the middle ages live animal trade

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

lol

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
The first historian in that New Yorker piece obviously did next to no research. Yellow crested cockatoos are native to Java.

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

holy poo poo that's giving me Daggerfall flashbacks oh god oh god please don't clip me into the void again ahhhhhhh

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

why were city states a thing in greece? was it a product of geography making overland projection of power a pain in the rear end?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

look at a topographical map of greece

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

look at a topographical map of greece

Yeah but they got really good at boats and weren't there a bunch of greek polities in anatolia?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Stairmaster posted:

why were city states a thing in greece? was it a product of geography making overland projection of power a pain in the rear end?

Well the consensus is the two main factors
-The rugged geography of Greece and the lack of nation level public works like a road system led to isolated urban population centers most which focused on having access to sea
-The greek aristocracy tended to have a big distrust for central king like authority which led to a cycle of tyrants getting overthrown
when someone did try to consolidate power

etalian has issued a correction as of 00:37 on Jul 9, 2021

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

early in the thread there were some recommendations for 'Baudolino'; i'm in the middle of it now and enjoying it a great deal, so thank you!

it also finally got me to play ck3

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

etalian posted:

Well the consensus is the two main factors
-The rugged geography of Greece and the lack of nation level public works like a road system led to isolated urban population centers most which focused on having access to sea
-The greek aristocracy tended to have a big distrust for central king like authority which led to a cycle of tyrants getting overthrown
when someone did try to consolidate power

And nobody wanted to be buddies with Sparta.

Fuzzy McDoom
Oct 9, 2007

-MORE MONEY FOR US

-FUCK...YOU KNOW, THE THING

Crusader posted:

early in the thread there were some recommendations for 'Baudolino'; i'm in the middle of it now and enjoying it a great deal, so thank you!

it also finally got me to play ck3

Yessssssss
Now you just need to play EU4 while reading The Island of the Day Before

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Heck Greek polities generally couldn't even keep control of their colonies.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Weka posted:

Heck Greek polities generally couldn't even keep control of their colonies.

pretty much how the Greco-Persian wars started given all the stirring the pot done by Ionian sea colonies.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

etalian posted:

pretty much how the Greco-Persian wars started given all the stirring the pot done by Ionian sea colonies.
Perfidious Ion! :argh:

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/tzoumio/status/1416690662909566980

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Any good books on the French Revolution? A friend is asking me for one, and I'd be interested too.