Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Yeah I immediately flipped everything to original models when I started up again. Last week I decided to give new Iksar a try but I’m unsure which I like better. All the others it’s gotta be the old model, especially Halflings and Ogres.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

BGrifter posted:

Yeah I immediately flipped everything to original models when I started up again. Last week I decided to give new Iksar a try but I’m unsure which I like better. All the others it’s gotta be the old model, especially Halflings and Ogres.

To be fair, the Luclin Ogres look closer to the EQ box art than the original fatties. However, the Luclin Ogre/Troll models don't have the buttscratch animation, right?

Classic troll models are unironically my favorite character models of all time. I wore a tree weave for ages just because the leather texture has a substantial amount of plumber's crack hangin' out.

Bring back buttscratch Daybreak you cowards.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I've found that all forms of human, elf, and Iksar look better with Luclin models. However, short races and fat races are significantly worse. Ogres are supposed to look fat and stupid.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.

Prism posted:

Well, I'm sold.

We have a ranger that does low man poo poo with us and hit is basically 80-90% of epic monk dps and any mob he can land spells on, including some MOTM stuff.

They also have taunt/aggro as a back up for DT takers. I have a feeling the gap with increase during velious, but then luclin/pop they become bow dps which is cool (if not a bit boring).

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

FranktheBank posted:

We have a ranger that does low man poo poo with us and hit is basically 80-90% of epic monk dps and any mob he can land spells on, including some MOTM stuff.

They also have taunt/aggro as a back up for DT takers. I have a feeling the gap with increase during velious, but then luclin/pop they become bow dps which is cool (if not a bit boring).

Classic, their biggest problem is they out DPS warriors but can't tank like them. Kunark and velious they do good DPS; not monk, not rogue, but good. They have a lot of versatility due to snap aggro, kiting, etc. If they can land their dots, their DPS gets better. Like all melee, their damage is better on long, sustained fights.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Floob posted:

You prefer the graphics and textures from launch, over what they are now? I'm no expert, but I don't think I have ever heard that before.

What? The new graphics are absolute garbage. It looks like if they made a iOS phone Everquest. gently caress each and every person who likes them.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

RCarr posted:

What? The new graphics are absolute garbage. It looks like if they made a iOS phone Everquest. gently caress each and every person who likes them.

I like the old graphics too but this seems a tiny bit harsh?

Watching the minutes slowly tick off the clock till my shift is over and I can get back to Mischief! :3: I’m up to 44 Druid now with Elder Spiritist Vambraces (clickable at 45) and Luminescent Staff (clickable at 46) in my bags! Also at 46 I can get started doing all the running around for my Epic. :woop:

Life in Norrath is pretty sweet right now.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

BGrifter posted:

I like the old graphics too but this seems a tiny bit harsh?

Watching the minutes slowly tick off the clock till my shift is over and I can get back to Mischief! :3: I’m up to 44 Druid now with Elder Spiritist Vambraces (clickable at 45) and Luminescent Staff (clickable at 46) in my bags! Also at 46 I can get started doing all the running around for my Epic. :woop:

Life in Norrath is pretty sweet right now.

Yea I know I’m just exaggerating. The new graphics really are gross though.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka
Wow, shows what I know. I had no idea there was so much hate on the newer updates. I personally love all of them, the player models, the Mage pets are far better than launch, and I love the textures in the newer zones. Particles effects, and even the targeting ring they added that shows the con of the mob. So many things that weren't there at launch. Not everything is better though I guess. I kind of miss sense heading, and needing to do the best you could by landmarks to get places.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Floob posted:

Wow, shows what I know. I had no idea there was so much hate on the newer updates. I personally love all of them, the player models, the Mage pets are far better than launch, and I love the textures in the newer zones. Particles effects, and even the targeting ring they added that shows the con of the mob. So many things that weren't there at launch. Not everything is better though I guess. I kind of miss sense heading, and needing to do the best you could by landmarks to get places.

Drop a sword on the ground, it will always point north

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

I think I just hit a creature?
IMO they went after "realism" way too hard and landed squarely in the uncanny valley. The old models were blocky but they were crisp, had fairly decent animations (for the time), and the skins could actually sport a fair amount of detail. The new models look really....muddy, and the animations are laughably jerkey and weird. The weird offhand attack animations come to mind, body stays completely rigid and the left arm just kinda darts and fails out way too fast.

The newer monster models are no better. A great example of an old monster model that stands the test of time would be the oozes from Dalnir or CoM. Really simple but they looked great, and had nice animations that flowed together during combat. On the other side of the coin we have new spiders. Sure they're more detailed, but they're way too stocky and once again the animations are too rigid and jerky. I will say they did a good job updating snakes though.

Finally, why are ALL THE COLORS on anything newer than Velious so drat washed out most of the time? I'm dicking around on FV right now, leveling a BST for the hell of it and I was in some zone called Blackfeather Roost and everything was just the blandest brown, and the harpies were just a flat, boring, monochromatic purple color.

Edit: Additional gripe, the Iksar models.

Iksar is far and wide my favorite race in any game ever, period. The lore, the look, the building esthetic, everything is just so good and is the reason Kunark will go down as some of the best gaming I've ever enjoyed (also helps I was in my teens at the time). My only gripe was the original model's 2h slashing animation. It was frankly just the worst, and when I made an Iksar SK twink back in the day I actually opted for one of the decent 2hb options for that very reason.

Then came Luclin and.....I mean good lord. How do you look at the old model, with all the in game artwork, monster/ghost/skeleton models, and go "You know what would be cool? What if we made Iksar look like a lovely, rejected art concept for a mid 90s Land of the Lost reboot?". The other models were horrid, lifeless, bulgy doll people but the Iksar were just.......uhg.

Then Everquest 2 came out and knocked it out of the park. They literally took the old model and updated it, and it came out pretty fantastic. Same general head/body shape, just with more pixels and detail. How hard was that?

WTF BEES fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jul 4, 2021

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
I’ll never forgive them for getting rid of old school skeleton models.

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

I think I just hit a creature?

onesixtwo posted:

I’ll never forgive them for getting rid of old school skeleton models.

I actually like what seems to be the LATEST skeleton models, since I feel like they just updated the original.

There was a dark time from Luclin until I don't know, where they updated the skeletons with just the worst model imaginable. Giant, doofy, Reese Witherspoon chins and weird, static, giant flipper hands.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I kinda liked the blobby elementals in classic, the weird floating half-people were gross

Creepyking
Dec 6, 2004
Just went from level 23 to 31 on my druid in 4 hours in the UR basement. And got a guise of the deceiver to sell for 4k plat. Overall a very good day. Bonus experience weekend is great.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Its amazing how utterly toxic some people are. Saw a bard sit by a lower level group and just highsun their pulls for hour after hour until they left. Then he apparantely moved to find another group, then through all the picks unless he'd griefed everyone to leave.

He wasn't even after the camp, just pure rear end in a top hat.

To top it off, he does this for night after night for multiple hours and when he eventually got banned, he was back within days with a new char to do it.

It certainly is possible for the GMs to dig deeper and mostly identify all the accounts associated with a person, but I'm only aware of it being done once ever but that was due to something with dodgy kronos.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I’m amazed there’s even a single GM in existence these days. There’s basically no discipline in any form in my experience. People are openly cheating left and right at all times. You have to be an absolute idiot to get banned for anything these days.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Time to give up I think - been playing for an hour and he just turned up again and griefed all the pulls.

Anyone recommend a game where theres some check on this poo poo behaviour because it isn't this one.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Project 1999 classic Everquest

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

please knock Mom! posted:

Project 1999 classic Everquest

This is so true. It's a sad situation, but emulated servers have very good management as long as there's some population to keep them busy. I've been hosting my own server now for almost 15 years. I play there when I want to check out a zone I haven't seen on live, or I just want to test out a class, etc. Project 1999 is doing some fantastic work, and are some of the best players you will find anywhere. They are there because they want to be there, and they are usually players who remember how the communities for EQ used to be, and strive to get that back.

Floob fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jul 5, 2021

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

Baconroll posted:

Time to give up I think - been playing for an hour and he just turned up again and griefed all the pulls.

Anyone recommend a game where theres some check on this poo poo behaviour because it isn't this one.

Just train him. Most satisfying part of these servers is being able to create your own justice.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka
Had a decent weekend. I didn't get a lot of time to play, but I was able to get to level 22. I did try OOT for a while, but the trip there sucked, and then I died and didn't want to go back. The undead on that island is just a little too tight and I got killed by a wanderer while I was out of Mana. So I asked in the Necro channel and someone mentioned The Overthere. I used to level my Druid there kiting, so I know the zone. It's handy not being KOS by the city and the patrols, and the exp is great. I need to either get J boots or buy some potions because that zone is hell to run across.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Up to 51 with my crew, having a good time but man did XP kind of hit a wall at this point, though I feel we went to Seb a bit early and probably should have stayed in the hole for another level or 2; the draw of (hopefully) better loot was too strong. Lack of CC/mana regen is being felt as well, kind of kicking myself for not dropping a char for an enchanter.

We're at the point where we're looking to join a guild, we are a group unto ourselves but I'd like to start raiding in the next 2-3 weeks (at the latest in Velious); anyone got any recs for guilds?

We are 2 actual people, other guy is an IRL non-goon friend, i'm playing war/clr/mag he's playing mnk/shm/mag. I have no problems maining the cleric, love healing; I can 2-box raids as well (if needed/allowed), at some point I'd like to give a shot at tanking as well, and my buddy would probably play whatever in raids.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Anyone know how safe the chessboard room in Plane of Mischief is in 1.0 and how easy it is to reach zone-out from? I have a set of the halfling crate port items but I dunno if the port to PoM is a feasible way to get to Cobalt Scar easily.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Edit: Might have solved this problem myself! Wound up doing the epic steps at the same time as a Ranger. We grouped up, I ported him for a few hand ins I was doing, he brought in his guild to help and by the end I wound up in the guild myself. :woop:

Still need to do the Dark Elf fight cause the starter NPC despawns, but I’m getting closer and closer to that epic!

BGrifter fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jul 7, 2021

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

Republicans posted:

Anyone know how safe the chessboard room in Plane of Mischief is in 1.0 and how easy it is to reach zone-out from? I have a set of the halfling crate port items but I dunno if the port to PoM is a feasible way to get to Cobalt Scar easily.

It’s safe there and one of the best ways to get to cobalt scar is via Pom. I want that port item.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
So uh… don’t do the Rat Ears quest if you don’t want to be instantly max KOS to the Freeport Militia.

Welp. Guess I might as well abuse the hell out of it now.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

BGrifter posted:

So uh… don’t do the Rat Ears quest if you don’t want to be instantly max KOS to the Freeport Militia.

Welp. Guess I might as well abuse the hell out of it now.

I have always hated Freeport. I went there with my Dark Elf Necro and started clicking on NPC's and saw they were all Dubious and Apprehensive. I was excited and figured I could just walk over to East Freeport and take a boat or translocator to OOT. I was wrong... A platoon of some kind of knights rolled over me like I wasn't even there. I won't be going back :)

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Floob posted:

I have always hated Freeport. I went there with my Dark Elf Necro and started clicking on NPC's and saw they were all Dubious and Apprehensive. I was excited and figured I could just walk over to East Freeport and take a boat or translocator to OOT. I was wrong... A platoon of some kind of knights rolled over me like I wasn't even there. I won't be going back :)

Yeah those wandering packs of guards are rather unpleasant! I looked into it and it sounds like repairing the faction to non-KOS involves either a brutal two hour grind repeating a quest handing a potion from one NPC to the other, or a less brutal but longer option of farming Deathfist Belts and/or Orc Pawn Scalps. Or as a friend suggested, wait for the Velious bear pet and send it on a Deathfist Orc rampage. :3:

Had a super successful week this week! Managed to ding 50 Druid and get my epic all the way up to the Softly Glowing Stone! Now I just need the Pulsing Green Stone off Venril Sathir or a multi quest and it’s smooth sailing to the Druid epic! :woop:

If I can get or buy the VS piece the only non-solo fights left are Corrupted Seahorse in Kedge (comfortably doable with like 3+ people) and the single group spawned Faydedar.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka
One thing that's been driving me crazy is the lack of Plane of Knowledge. Not being able to travel by stones has been a real problem on a non teleporting class, and the spell vendors at the primary cities suck! The level 23 necro pet buff spell is only obtained through a turn-in in Cabilis. On live you can buy it in PoK. So now I'm running around the Goblin camp in Warslik's Woods looking for Illegible notes... I have 3 and 4 so far. I can't see which ones I have because clicking the lore text doesn't work till level 50 and identify doesn't work like that... It's like playing old EQ, but because of the way things have changed over the years, there are now broken pieces of the game if you then try to remove those expansions.

If they didn't remove No Drop from some items, and if we didn't have a shared bank, both of which we didn't have in 1999-2000 era, this game would be unplayable, or at least undesirable.

I would skip it, but it's such an important spell, so last night I spent 3 hours looking.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Can you just buy the spell from someone? Or it’s no-drop?

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

RCarr posted:

Can you just buy the spell from someone? Or it’s no-drop?

Yeah, but I think that delves into another area of this server that's rubbing me the wrong way. Some of these prices are insane. I haven't been focusing on building my bank, so I have maybe 1,000 plat. In order to afford this spell, I would have to start getting into the poo poo that I hate, and that's camping names and trying to sell stuff in the tunnel. Then, to me, it becomes a job... and I already have one of those :)

schwein11
Oct 13, 2009

Floob posted:

Yeah, but I think that delves into another area of this server that's rubbing me the wrong way. Some of these prices are insane. I haven't been focusing on building my bank, so I have maybe 1,000 plat. In order to afford this spell, I would have to start getting into the poo poo that I hate, and that's camping names and trying to sell stuff in the tunnel. Then, to me, it becomes a job... and I already have one of those :)

I bought that and a bunch of other research only necro spells in the tunnel before kunark came out and although i don't remember what I paid for them, i do remember it was pretty darn reasonable. you don't need to break the bank to buy it - just hang out until a researcher is hawking their wares.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

schwein11 posted:

I bought that and a bunch of other research only necro spells in the tunnel before kunark came out and although i don't remember what I paid for them, i do remember it was pretty darn reasonable. you don't need to break the bank to buy it - just hang out until a researcher is hawking their wares.

Thanks, I'll check it out tonight. I've also never even tried research myself. That might be worth looking into. Can your research skill be trained by guildmasters, or do you have to do the work?

schwein11
Oct 13, 2009

Floob posted:

Thanks, I'll check it out tonight. I've also never even tried research myself. That might be worth looking into. Can your research skill be trained by guildmasters, or do you have to do the work?

I think the guildmaster can only train you up to skill level 20. there's a not bad guide here about skilling up research, but after looking into it i concluded it would be easier and cheaper to just buy the spells: https://www.almarsguides.com/eq/Tradeskills/Research/Classic/

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Floob posted:

research isn't something you level yourself, it's CRAZY expensive so doing it solo is a fools errand, especially if you are already complaining about your lack of money. Find one of the three people on your server that has levelled it and pay them to make what you need. Yes they will "overcharge" you for the service they provide just suck it up or dont get your spell, ultimately it will be replaced anyway so you're paying for the X amount of hours you actually use it.

this is an MMO and trading is an expected part of the game you can't expect to do everything yourself.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

Indecisive posted:

this is an MMO and trading is an expected part of the game you can't expect to do everything yourself.

That's a very good point, and it's because of trying to do everything myself, I have rarely had the best gear, or the highest level characters in the MMO's I've played. Believe me when I say, I have played all of them :) The first thing I will do tonight is hit the bank to pull out my funds, and then I will go tot he tunnel and start looking for the spell I need.

Thank you all for the advice.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea if you just focusing on leveling you’ll have a new pet spell in like a day or two.

It’s not a huge loss.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

RCarr posted:

Yea if you just focusing on leveling you’ll have a new pet spell in like a day or two.

It’s not a huge loss.

Well, you're right, I do get a new pet next level, but the pet haste buff is right up there with the Necro's most important spells for soloing. Take that buff and use it along with an undead slow on undead mobs and you are a far more efficient solo machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Oh my bad I thought you were talking about just a summon pet spell