Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Brought To You By posted:

Did Denken adopt that one chick or what?

We know that Denken was married once, and his wife is dead, but no word about any children or grandchildren. He's been treating Laufen as surrogate granddaughter ever since the first exam, and she's apparently fine with it, since it mostly takes the form of him doting on her. Also, Denken agreed with Richter that he might well be dead next time the exam is held, so maybe Laufen is just humoring him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Warden posted:

We know that Denken was married once, and his wife is dead, but no word about any children or grandchildren. He's been treating Laufen as surrogate granddaughter ever since the first exam, and she's apparently fine with it, since it mostly takes the form of him doting on her. Also, Denken agreed with Richter that he might well be dead next time the exam is held, so maybe Laufen is just humoring him.

I agree with everything you said except this one. Denken got into a fist fight with someone probably 1/3 his age. AND WON. He'll live another decade just fine unless get gets ganked. "Beware of old men in professions where people generally die young" and all that jazz. Maybe I'm forgetting something, but outside Frieren and Heiter, we haven't seen many old mages in this story. At least in the modern era because Flamme seems to have lived to a ripe old age.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
This chapter was very sweet

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Chapter 57 - In which Serie isn't having Frieren's poo poo so she screens everyone

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Did this thread know that Fern rules?

Cause she rules.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Just want to chime in and say that Frieren also rules.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Probably for the best that Ubel didn't get the exam before Fern.

Given her track record... things may have gone badly for everyone.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Does anyone ever become a mage in this realm under Serie's impossible expectations?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Well, there's the explanation for "why doesn't everyone just do that?" back when Frieren revealed her mana to the demon.

I just now realized I've had Sense and Serie confused with each other since whenever they were both introduced. Is Sense just a second ancient elf mage?

Sindai fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jul 7, 2021

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

We've seen them before. She's the one Frieran turned down when they said they could teach her any magic.

Grouchio posted:

Does anyone ever become a mage in this realm under Serie's impossible expectations?

Without Frieran and Fern there only one or two would have passed the second test then only one the third.

They out right said everyone but Frieran was probably going to die next round because they shouldn't be there.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Serie is just an awful gremlin isnt she.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Guyver posted:

Without Frieran and Fern there only one or two would have passed the second test then only one the third.

They out right said everyone but Frieran was probably going to die next round because they shouldn't be there.

Yeah, which kind of implies that it's not a very good or useful test.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

It's supposed to weed out everyone except the very best.

Seems like it's working as intended as long as you don't get some thousand year old elf who fought the demon king taking it.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Guyver posted:

It's supposed to weed out everyone except the very best.

Seems like it's working as intended as long as you don't get some thousand year old elf who fought the demon king taking it.

A test which regularly murders most of your best mages who don't quite make the grade probably isn't that good unless the actual purpose is to kill off magic users.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

A test which regularly murders most of your best mages who don't quite make the grade probably isn't that good unless the actual purpose is to kill off magic users.

Agreed. It was a criticism I saw brought up about KnY's Final Selection as well.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I feel like several chapters ago even characters in universe are going "this test is pretty hosed up"

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Serie is the one handing out the reward...

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Only the first test seems designed to kill which would be killing all the poo poo mages getting ahead of themselves. The second gives them a quick escape with magic healing.

The third apparently is survivable if you actually had what it took to pass the second test.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if serie didn't want thousand year old elves who killed the demon king to get through the tests, maybe she shouldn't have made the tests into a sort of passport to cross the border.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

The second test didn't seem like something that would have been too difficult to pass without Frieren and Fern there. Most of the teams made it to the very end of the dungeon and only got held up by Frieren's doppelganger.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Did they ever discuss why they needed to be first class mages to cross the border?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there's dangerous poo poo out there including demons.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.

Guyver posted:

Wasn't it "most of them"? I think they're expecting a few like Denken and Wirbel to pass, but they didn't expect a whole ton of people passing Stage 2.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

if serie didn't want thousand year old elves who killed the demon king to get through the tests, maybe she shouldn't have made the tests into a sort of passport to cross the border.
the party would just go ahead and do it anyways

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARBL0zQVfjQ

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Ethiser posted:

The second test didn't seem like something that would have been too difficult to pass without Frieren and Fern there. Most of the teams made it to the very end of the dungeon and only got held up by Frieren's doppelganger.

That would be true if Sense hadn't also entered the dungeon, ensuring there was a major threat above most of their capabilities.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

chiasaur11 posted:

Probably for the best that Ubel didn't get the exam before Fern.

Given her track record... things may have gone badly for everyone.

Since Ubel's got that sick visualization ability, and has gotten more pages/backstory than the other people in the trials, I think she's definitely a contender to also pass the test. Denken's probably going to squeak past somehow too, which I think would be a nice acknowledgement that when it comes to magic putting in the time can be a big factor. A big part of what makes Frieran so ridiculous is that she's had hundreds of years to practice her stuff, after all.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Serie and Ubel both have weird mouth shapes so I’m sure they’ll get along really well.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I believe in my homie Denken

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

:emptyquote:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Babe Magnet posted:

I now want to see Denken sportin bling.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.

Babe Magnet posted:

Same

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
New chapter is up.

What.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Clone guy rules.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Folks who passed:

Fern
Denken
Ubel
Land
Wirbel
Methode

Waaay more than I expected.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

I like that there was a certain amount of cheekiness required to pass, something unexpected, and the different ways that panned out.

Clone guy actually never being present is great, as is cutting lady getting by without saying a word prolly cuz she was just imagining how easy it'd be to cut up a tiny elf. Denken passing as well due to getting some vigor back thanks to Frieran is great too.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Grouchio posted:

Folks who passed:

Fern
Denken
Ubel
Land
Wirbel
Methode

Waaay more than I expected.

Fern seems to have flipped a switch from "none of these people have what it takes" to "...Maybe there is something here."

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

One of the truly side characters made it. Way to go Methode!

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I'm not really clear on why Methode passed since I can't remember what her thing is. Maybe Serie just wanted to be called cute.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The clone guy has some balls, it rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Sindai posted:

I'm not really clear on why Methode passed since I can't remember what her thing is. Maybe Serie just wanted to be called cute.

Shes the hypnosis mage. But serie seems to think more of people who have a non-standard reaction to her.