Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Oldstench posted:

Nioh 2? Yeah/nah?

I have been playing it for the past week or so and I love it. It was very difficult at first, but once things clicked it is a very deep game and the combat (at least so far) is fun and satisfying and it has that Dark Souls like thing were you die a dozen times to a boss and eventually learn to dunk all over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Are there any cool racing games on sale that won't force me to give money to EA? I've already played horizon 4 on game pass, which was really good but I don't feel like buying it or dealing with a subscription service again.

Oldstench posted:

Nioh 2? Yeah/nah?
Probably my favorite souls-ish game, tied with Sekiro and Bloodborne. It will murder you a lot until you get used to the systems, but then you can break it in your favor or make it even harder at your own discretion.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Just wanted to point up this weird little thing. The developer is very active and thoughtful. This game gets updates constantly.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/659540/Warsim_The_Realm_of_Aslona/

Warsim: The Realm of Aslona

It reminds me of what strategy games might be if the C64 and Spectrum had just kept getting more capable but never really advanced in other ways. No graphics to speak of. You run a kingdom. It will definitely be right up somebody's alley, and that somebody might be you.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Rusty posted:

Someone posted the retro FPSs a few pages back and I got Dusk and man is it a good game. So far I don't have anything bad to say about it, for $10, it may be one of my best game purchases this year. So thanks for that post. Prodeus also looks really good, but I'll wait until it's done and has a sale.

If you like Dusk you should definitely check out Amid Evil

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
So far Van Helsing has some neat ideas (like a permanent customizable companion that levels with you), but I'm not loving actually *playing* it.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Rinkles posted:

So far Van Helsing has some neat ideas (like a permanent customizable companion that levels with you), but I'm not loving actually *playing* it.

Act 1 was driven entirely by the pleasant conversation between Helsing and the Ghost lady. I couldn't tell you a single thing about the plot, world, or story but I can almost remember her sarcastic voice.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Rinkles posted:

For a game where everything explodes into paste, its combat is strangely weightless. In part because everything explodes into paste.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Oldstench posted:

Nioh 2? Yeah/nah?

:yeah:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Oldstench posted:

Nioh 2? Yeah/nah?

yeah

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jul 7, 2021

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Rinkles posted:

It's third person and not an ARPG (although it does have better combat than any straight RPG), but if customizable companions appeal to you, you NEED Dragon's Dogma in your life.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

HopperUK posted:

Just wanted to point up this weird little thing. The developer is very active and thoughtful. This game gets updates constantly.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/659540/Warsim_The_Realm_of_Aslona/

Warsim: The Realm of Aslona

It reminds me of what strategy games might be if the C64 and Spectrum had just kept getting more capable but never really advanced in other ways. No graphics to speak of. You run a kingdom. It will definitely be right up somebody's alley, and that somebody might be you.

I bought this a few days ago. It's a lot and I need to give it a lot more time before I'll have real thoughts on it, but so far it seems pretty cool.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
This game called Slasher's Keep showed up in my steam queue and it looks pretty neat, any of you heard of this game?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/598060/Slashers_Keep/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2YtQAayXEg

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013

FirstAidKite posted:

This game called Slasher's Keep showed up in my steam queue and it looks pretty neat, any of you heard of this game?

You can dress up as a stripper bandit, would recommend

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I got Amnesia Rebirth but god help me I might try Machine for Pigs first since I own it anyway. I have a high tolerance for subpar sequels.

Except for DMC2. gently caress that game

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Sonel posted:

Yeah, it's stuck in legal limbo because of Activision I believe. Heretic 2 is stuck because of a similar problem. Somehow Quake 4 escaped this but eh, it's Quake 4.

I think it's the other way around, Zenimax/Bethesda bought iD in 2009 and owns the IP rights. Nobody wants to spend big-time money to bring back a game that barely sold and maybe benefits a competitor and Bethesda probably doesn't want "brand confusion" with the newer more successful Wolfenstein games(iirc there was a statement floating around about them not being happy with how it turned out).

In any case, it's a bummer that more people can't play a decent game and now Raven is a support studio for CoD :rip:

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jul 7, 2021

.random
May 7, 2007

Been playing more than a little SNKRX and it’s pretty fun :shobon: The only part I don’t like is how stupid strong some classes are compared to others, especially when you add in the item pool. Rogues? So strong. Rangers? Pretty darn strong too, especially with their seeker item. Sorcerers, pretty good! And then you have like… everyone else who is sort of “you may end up with a couple cursers, voiders, warriors, whatever.” (I got to the end of NG+2 with a mage comp but they were way too squishy for level 24 or so.)

I keep trying to make a Psyker build work but I’m pretty sure it’s only going to happen with some insane luck. Ah well! A worthy $3

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The first and only time I played SNKRX I built a party of all warrior-types and got some relic that let me bounce off the walls (I think? Something like that). I was able to beat most levels by literally taking my hands off the keyboard and letting it play itself, and the remaining three-ish levels I beat by steering straight into enemies because I was a blender of aoe damage, bump damage, and massive damage resist. And that was all just from the way the warrior-type units are designed, and only using the basic ones you see right at the start of the game with none of the expensive advanced units. No relic synergies or anything.

I can't bring myself to play it again after that :effort:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jul 7, 2021

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I got Amnesia Rebirth but god help me I might try Machine for Pigs first since I own it anyway. I have a high tolerance for subpar sequels.

Except for DMC2. gently caress that game

I'd call it a dmc2

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
Paradise Killer was in my cart, so I'm glad I waited for the Humble Choice to drop first. Time to save some money buy something else.

E: which shall be Umurangi Generation

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

deep dish peat moss posted:

The first and only time I played SNKRX I built a party of all warrior-types and got some relic that let me bounce off the walls (I think? Something like that). I was able to beat most levels by literally taking my hands off the keyboard and letting it play itself, and the remaining three-ish levels I beat by steering straight into enemies because I was a blender of aoe damage, bump damage, and massive damage resist. And that was all just from the way the warrior-type units are designed, and only using the basic ones you see right at the start of the game with none of the expensive advanced units. No relic synergies or anything.

I can't bring myself to play it again after that :effort:

it goes all the way up to new game plus five - the first difficulty is very easy, i beat it on my first run as well. it gets a lot harder.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Okay, here's another warning not to get Anno 1404 on Steam. I can live with uplay shenanigans, but the game just straight up doesn't loving work. It crashes on startup every time - I went and dug around for workarounds on the Internet, but even then I only got it to even launch once. But after exiting the game that one time, it just never launched properly again. I don't know how you manage to break a release this bad, but it's bad.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Okay, here's another warning not to get Anno 1404 on Steam. I can live with uplay shenanigans, but the game just straight up doesn't loving work. It crashes on startup every time - I went and dug around for workarounds on the Internet, but even then I only got it to even launch once. But after exiting the game that one time, it just never launched properly again. I don't know how you manage to break a release this bad, but it's bad.

I read somewhere that's once it's installed, you can go into the Steam options for the game and untick the Historical Edition DLC. Then when you start the game, it'll ask if you want to play the normal version or Historical version. The normal version should be the untouched version from before they did the upgrade, and hopefully that would work normally.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

I know it's just reusing part of the title of their previous games, but drat, that is the most mobile game sounding name ever.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i assumed it was a moba based on the name.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I read somewhere that's once it's installed, you can go into the Steam options for the game and untick the Historical Edition DLC. Then when you start the game, it'll ask if you want to play the normal version or Historical version. The normal version should be the untouched version from before they did the upgrade, and hopefully that would work normally.

Thanks for the advice, but I refunded the game (after trying several workarounds, albeit not that one). There's only so much work I'm willing to put into a game I paid money for (from a major publisher, no less!). The icing on the cake was that it made Steam crash every time I tried to run it. I've bought enough stuff on Steam to last me for a while anyway; if I feel like trying this again I'll get it on GOG instead.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Man, Huntdown is good. It's really the one retro game I've always wanted.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Anyone want these games?
Dirt 5
ADOM

Squad
Iron Danger

Fae Tactics
Shadows: Awakening
The Suicide of Rachel Foster
The Uncertain: Last Quiet Day

Just ask and I'll send them your way. Give me your steam id if you don't have PM's.

Sininu fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jul 7, 2021

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Sininu posted:

Anyone want these games?
Dirt 5
ADOM
Squad
Iron Danger
Fae Tactics

Just ask and I'll send them your way. Give me your steam id if you don't have PM's.

I'll take Dirt 5 if that's cool!

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Sininu posted:

Anyone want these games?
Dirt 5
ADOM
Squad
Iron Danger
Fae Tactics

I'm up for some roguelikes. Could I take ADOM?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

The icing on the cake was that it made Steam crash every time I tried to run it. I've bought enough stuff on Steam to last me for a while anyway; if I feel like trying this again I'll get it on GOG instead.
So it's a Ubisoft game that launches on steam instead of UPlay? Weird.

I mean, the steam page even says it uses Uplay?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Xander77 posted:

So it's a Ubisoft game that launches on steam instead of UPlay? Weird.

I mean, the steam page even says it uses Uplay?

It does, and... it's very weird. The first time I launched it through Steam, I got a clearly uPlay-related popup that wanted to bind it to my uPlay account. Fine. Then the game (and Steam) crashed. I haven't seen the uPlay window since then when attempting to launch through Steam or directly. In fact, starting the game executables directly through explorer starts Steam, so it clearly tries to use some Steam API (at least the DRM). You can also launch it through uPlay, but it crashes either way.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I feel bad for recommending Anno to folks on SA now. Haven’t ever bought a game that uses Uplay so didn’t know it was that broken.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

There are plenty of uPlay games that work just fine. I don't understand how this one can be this broken.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Oldstench posted:

Nioh 2? Yeah/nah?

yea, just know it's weirdly long in a padding kind-of-way

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

i mananged to get it to run and the menu would run at like 10fps and flicker extremely obnoxiously constantly, it would run ok in game once i got there but kept crashing. very bad!!

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Sininu posted:

Anyone want these games?
Dirt 5
ADOM

Squad
Iron Danger
Fae Tactics

Could I try Squad? Thank you!

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Sininu posted:

Anyone want these games?
Dirt 5
ADOM

Squad
Iron Danger
Fae Tactics

If you still have Iron Danger, I'll take it.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Little Orpheus (2.5D cinematic platformer from The Chinese Room) is finally ending Apple Arcade exclusivity, yay

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1558930/Little_Orpheus/

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Barry Convex posted:

Little Orpheus (2.5D cinematic platformer from The Chinese Room) is finally ending Apple Arcade exclusivity, yay

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1558930/Little_Orpheus/

huh, thought they were done with game development

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

the reviews for the old bethesda published Call of Cthulu are full of warnings about bugs. is that something fan patches fix? It's only $1.50.