Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Wait what the gently caress? I work in a factory that makes those vans, spent 6 months on them myself, not once heard someone call them that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Elblanco posted:

Wait what the gently caress? I work in a factory that makes those vans, spent 6 months on them myself, not once heard someone call them that!

I spend a lot of time with large transformers for power generation and industrial applications and have similarly never heard that shorthand.... Weird, it's like people are fishing for an excuse.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’ve heard the word used for discrete transistors, and that’s not even on Wikipedia’s list.

0/10

I’m going back to Brittanica.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Hokkaido Anxiety posted:

I spend a lot of time with large transformers for power generation and industrial applications and have similarly never heard that shorthand.... Weird, it's like people are fishing for an excuse.
The transmission shorthand is the only one that's seen any use, really. Now normal people shorten it to trans because they're not assholes.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

All Eleanors are awesome. It's just science.
Eleanor Rigby is the only good Beatles song, this checks out!

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

gbut posted:

Not necessary, no.
Okay, then don't do it. It's never a good look, even when the timing isn't exceptionally poor.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Yeah. Sorry, that was totally without context and looks pretty bad on its own. My bad.

e: I guess I'm the idiot.

gbut has a new favorite as of 03:41 on Jul 7, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
OP not the idiot.
https://twitter.com/MandelaFace/status/1412518703237795841?s=19

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/bestofnextdoor/status/1412553538664681472

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean... I can't think of a better reason to spend an hour looking at a printing off pictures of gary busey?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

OwlFancier posted:

I mean... I can't think of a better reason to spend an hour looking at a printing off pictures of gary busey?

Just for the sheer, nonsexual pleasure

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Computer, give me a printout of Gary Busey screaming.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Never in twitter history has a poll gone as far away from the OP's preferred outcome as this.
https://twitter.com/sIicksista/status/1412482109000798215?s=20

Currently 2.5% yes to 97.5% no.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Henchman of Santa posted:

Never in twitter history has a poll gone as far away from the OP's preferred outcome as this.

Well what the gently caress are you supposed to do with it

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
The bread should come hot and it helps to melt the butter.

This lady is crazy.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Heath posted:

Well what the gently caress are you supposed to do with it

Use it to lure birds to the table and eat them instead to avoid paying for your meal, of course.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

apatheticman posted:

The bread should come hot and it helps to melt the butter.

This lady is crazy.

Yeah you don't want to eat cold rear end bread you can do that at home.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Henchman of Santa posted:

https://twitter.com/sIicksista/status/1412518414464303111

IT IS YOU ALL WHO ARE WRONG

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

A.... Pregame meal???

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Honey, are you ready to go to the Olive Garden? Our reservation is in 10 minutes!

*furiously tries to cram as many pizza rolls into my face as possible to pregame*

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

It’s harmful for learners of languages to think of grammatical gender as an extension of human gender.

They are arbitrary categories that occasionally remove ambiguity in statements, but mostly it’s just something you have to rote memorize. You will waste far more time attempting mental gymnastics to come up with way in which a map can be related to men than to just accept that it is, as readily as you accept that it is spelled “M–A–P–A”.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Mx. posted:

A.... Pregame meal???

I remember reading tips on eat all you can buffets and there'd inevitably be one saying you should eat before you go, so you won't consume so much in the buffet. These are not tips for people on a diet either

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Platystemon posted:

It’s harmful for learners of languages to think of grammatical gender as an extension of human gender.

They are arbitrary categories that occasionally remove ambiguity in statements, but mostly it’s just something you have to rote memorize. You will waste far more time attempting mental gymnastics to come up with way in which a map can be related to men than to just accept that it is, as readily as you accept that it is spelled “M–A–P–A”.

They're literally masculine nouns with masculine articles in Romance languages though. Like the person in the article is factually wrong, that's not a gender commentary

Heath has a new favorite as of 05:43 on Jul 7, 2021

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I remember reading tips on eat all you can buffets and there'd inevitably be one saying you should eat before you go, so you won't consume so much in the buffet. These are not tips for people on a diet either

these people demonstrate a profound lack of understanding of buffets, a most simple concept

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Heath posted:

They're literally masculine nouns with masculine articles in Romance languages though. Like the person in the article is factually wrong, that's not a gender commentary
He's almost right in Latin (ocean/sea is neuter, the others are feminine), I'm guessing he looked them up in a (bad) Latin dictionary and just assumed all the descendant languages hadn't switched things up much in the last 2,000 years.

I wish they stressed that word gender is basically unrelated to person gender more at the start of Romance Language classes, it would have saved high-school me several months of mental gymnastics before I finally came to that conclusion on my own. I'm pretty sure every English speaker goes through the same confused period.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Mx. posted:

A.... Pregame meal???

The only instance of this I've heard that actually made sense was vegetarians or (more likely) vegans eating before going out so they don't have to stress with 'does this place even have proper vegetarian options'.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Mx. posted:

A.... Pregame meal???
Some people pregame drinks when they go to clubs, because the prices are way higher when you're out drinking and this way they can be easily buzzed for less cash. But for food?? Why even eat out, then?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Cleretic posted:

The only instance of this I've heard that actually made sense was vegetarians or (more likely) vegans eating before going out so they don't have to stress with 'does this place even have proper vegetarian options'.

The only other thing I can think of is maybe grabbing a quick sandwich if you haven't had a chance to eat yet that day and don't want to make a bad impression on a date with someone you don't know that well. Even that's stretching, because I'd hope a simple "I don't normally eat this much/this fast, but I had to skip lunch today" would be fine with anyone you'd want to date.

Gotta love when someone is given unequivocal proof that they're wrong and just doubles down on it being everyone else in the world who's wrong for not living by some bizarre rule. Insert some pithy comment about religion here.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Heath posted:

In gendered Germanic languages, those are all masculine or neuter as well.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
This page has been really good.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Sunswipe posted:

Gotta love when someone is given unequivocal proof that they're wrong and just doubles down on it being everyone else in the world who's wrong for not living by some bizarre rule. Insert some pithy comment about religion here.

This person has been given an indisputable social pass to cram as much bread in their mouth as possible immediately and decided to be condescending instead

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Kit Walker posted:

This person has been given an indisputable social pass to cram as much bread in their mouth as possible immediately and decided to be condescending instead

Maybe they haven't yet realised you can both be condescending *and* have your mouth packed with as much bread as humanly possibly.

As an added bonus you spray your victim with crumbs.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Knormal posted:

He's almost right in Latin (ocean/sea is neuter, the others are feminine), I'm guessing he looked them up in a (bad) Latin dictionary and just assumed all the descendant languages hadn't switched things up much in the last 2,000 years.

My assumption was that he looked at how the convention in English is to refer to boats as "she" and that the sea is "a harsh mistress" and just went sailing to conclusions

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Knormal posted:

I wish they stressed that word gender is basically unrelated to person gender more at the start of Romance Language classes, it would have saved high-school me several months of mental gymnastics before I finally came to that conclusion on my own. I'm pretty sure every English speaker goes through the same confused period.

He was probably thinking of Greek.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
First and last time I saw someone with a complimentary bread stick up their rear end.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Kit Walker posted:

I get the impression they're condescending regardless of circumstances, a condescension elemental looking down its titanic nose at us from the Twin Planes of Imright-Urong

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

What's that, my opinion and practice vis-à-vis bread while eating out is in the extreme minority? Well, everyone else must be crazy.

Lol, humans are doomed.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Pope Corky the IX posted:

First and last time I saw someone with a complimentary bread stick up their rear end.

It's like they've never heard of an urethra.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
The big lady that sings about respect?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

she's just spitballing dumb etiquette and date rules trying to go viral. reminds me of the insta posts about how it's gay for dudes to eat appetizers or desserts