Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Memento posted:

Hey Americans, how do y'all pronounce "kludge"? Rhymes with sludge, right?

I just heard a dude from Utah pronounce it "klooj" and that didn't sit right with me.

I've always pronounced it "klooj." It's a made-up word, you can pronounce it however you want.

ETA: According to the Free Dictionary, "klooj" is supposed to be correct.
https://www.thefreedictionary.com/kludge

Deteriorata fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jul 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Memento posted:

I just heard a dude from Utah pronounce it "klooj" and that didn't sit right with me.
The latter is much more common, but I’ve heard both.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Heard it both ways. Either works

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Never heard of it any way other than "klooj".

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Memento posted:

Yes.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Which Lincoln SUV would be easiest to put a lift and 35” tires on?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

It’d be monumentally stupid, but the Navigator would probably be the easiest option.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

neogeo0823 posted:

Ok, that will at least answer the wife's question then. She was under the impression that, had she had some sort of guard or trim or something, the rock that hit right near the edge of the glass wouldn't have caused the crack. She thought that because my car has a plastic guard, hers should as well, and that it must be missing, or something.

I don't know if this makes sense with where you live but it sounds like from where you've described the cracks they could be caused by someone getting in the car in the morning where it's been freezing temps and then turning the heat on full blast through the defrost vents under the windshield.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Charles posted:

Yeah what position is the vent switch in? Not just defrost but some cars turn on the a/c starting in the foot vent only position. I don't know why.

This seemed to be the issue, thanks a lot!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

pro starcraft loser posted:

This seemed to be the issue, thanks a lot!

It's always nice when it's a simple thing :)

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I'm working on an electric car and the battery pack is 1000 pounds. It drops out and mounts back in from underneath. A fork lift is out of my price range. I managed to get it down and up with a Harbor Freight 1000lbs motorcycle lift. The motorcycle lift would work perfectly except it has tiny casters and my driveway is super uneven. Is there some kind of lift from Harbor Freight or elsewhere that is a little more forgiving of banged up asphalt? I was looking at self-propelled pallet jacks, but those seem hardly any cheaper than fork lifts.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Zero VGS posted:

I'm working on an electric car and the battery pack is 1000 pounds. It drops out and mounts back in from underneath. A fork lift is out of my price range. I managed to get it down and up with a Harbor Freight 1000lbs motorcycle lift. The motorcycle lift would work perfectly except it has tiny casters and my driveway is super uneven. Is there some kind of lift from Harbor Freight or elsewhere that is a little more forgiving of banged up asphalt? I was looking at self-propelled pallet jacks, but those seem hardly any cheaper than fork lifts.

How much does resurfacing your driveway cost?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Charles posted:

How much does resurfacing your driveway cost?

Even if I spent the thousands for that, the lift wheels would definitely then sink into the fresh asphalt. I only need to move the battery over a few feet into the open so I have clearance to work on it, so at that point maybe I could try to buy a piece of thick steel sheet metal to use as a surface...

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Charles posted:

Yeah what position is the vent switch in? Not just defrost but some cars turn on the a/c starting in the foot vent only position. I don't know why.

The "why" is that running the A/C dries the air out, making "defrost" much more effective.

Zero VGS posted:

Maybe the HF transmission jack, with larger casters added?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Zero VGS posted:

Even if I spent the thousands for that, the lift wheels would definitely then sink into the fresh asphalt. I only need to move the battery over a few feet into the open so I have clearance to work on it, so at that point maybe I could try to buy a piece of thick steel sheet metal to use as a surface...

3/4" plywood would probably be strong enough.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Deteriorata posted:

With 250 pounds+ on each caster? Guess I can give it a shot... is there anything at Home Depot that might be a little more dense than that? I got some 3/4" before and it warped super bad once it rained, looked more like a half-pipe.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

IOwnCalculus posted:

The "why" is that running the A/C dries the air out, making "defrost" much more effective.

Why the foot vent only position though?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Zero VGS posted:

With 250 pounds+ on each caster? Guess I can give it a shot... is there anything at Home Depot that might be a little more dense than that? I got some 3/4" before and it warped super bad once it rained, looked more like a half-pipe.

If you're going to keep it outside, get an exterior grade that will resist warping. Try a small piece of scrap to test it.

According to this: https://www.makeitfrom.com/material-properties/Medium-Density-Fiberboard-MDF

MDF will take 1500 psi. You can't get it wet, though.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Zero VGS posted:

Exterior grade and also get plywood, not OSB.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Deteriorata posted:

They're trying to save money over replacing their driveway with concrete

Charles posted:

Why the foot vent only position though?

Laziness and/or an assumption that foot vent mode usually means heat and the potential for foggy windows? :shrug: My Ranger had pretty much only two positions that were actually A/C off, and one of those was turning the entire HVAC off.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Classic Harbor Freight... called 3 different locations that were sold out of the lift I needed, with no restock state, yet they all wouldn't sell me the display model they had out.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Zero VGS posted:

What's your budget? Try googling something called 'duradeck mats' if you want something that will out last you. They aren't cheap, but you might find them used somewhere

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

What's your budget? Try googling something called 'duradeck mats' if you want something that will out last you. They aren't cheap, but you might find them used somewhere

I mean, it says they are rated to 200psi, but if I stop to think about it, the contact patch of each caster is about a square inch and with 1000 pounds that's gonna be exceeding it and possibly marring/sinking. If it's HDPE then it is essentially a 10:1 scale cutting board?

It's $200 for a 4x4' sheet of 12-guage steel, is there a way to calculate how dent-resistant that would be?

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

Zero VGS posted:

I mean, it says they are rated to 200psi, but if I stop to think about it, the contact patch of each caster is about a square inch and with 1000 pounds that's gonna be exceeding it and possibly marring/sinking. If it's HDPE then it is essentially a 10:1 scale cutting board?

It's $200 for a 4x4' sheet of 12-guage steel, is there a way to calculate how dent-resistant that would be?

12 gauge is comparable to nickel coin in thickness, so think a commercial metal cabinet or tool box wall thickness. Pretty floppy in 4 x4 piece.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Zero VGS posted:

Stop overthinking it to find the one perfect thing and go try some stuff.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Zero VGS posted:

Just get some 3/4” exterior plywood. I’ve rolled 2000lb machines on a harbor freight pallet jack over it no problem. It’s strong as heck. If the caster wheels are small, you might want to bevel the edges so they don’t get stuck moving on/off the plywood.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Deteriorata posted:

Stop overthinking it to find the one perfect thing and go try some stuff.

OK OK I'll try the plywood. I could have sworn what I got last time was both 3/4 and exterior and True Plywood but it still warped. I'll triple-check this time.

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

I assume this is the right thread to ask because, well, stupid questions but is there a thread anywhere for what you should have in your car?

I ask because my wife and I just bought a car (2016 Holden Commodore Evoke Series II, if anyone's wondering) after not having a car for a year or so (my sister-in-law totalled it), and I was wondering what sort of things we should get for it.

Obviously things like jumper leads, it has a jack and a spare (full spare not a space saver, even)

But beyond that I'm kinda lost. I was thinking a phone holder, maybe a jump starter, some seat covers.. but I'm not really sure, and I'd rather leave it up to you guys to recommend some resources or a list of stuff.

My car is going to be stored outside (we don't have a carport or garage) so I'd kinda like some kind of good car cover, but nothing hugely expensive. We rent, so we can't put up a carport or anything, either.

Also, anything else I should be aware of? We're sorting insurance and all that stuff, but it's been a long time since either of us bought a car (like.. 20 years ish) and we want to be prepared.

Thanks folks.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Zero VGS posted:

Rent a forklift if you can't buy an old one on craigslist for the price you want. The second option is good if you're handy with hydraulics, though. I once picked up an old Clark for $200 because it had a blown hose (and was old). Trailer home, new hose, hydraulic fluid, and I was on my way. I sold it years later for $5k.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Mephiston posted:

I assume this is the right thread to ask because, well, stupid questions but is there a thread anywhere for what you should have in your car?

I ask because my wife and I just bought a car (2016 Holden Commodore Evoke Series II, if anyone's wondering) after not having a car for a year or so (my sister-in-law totalled it), and I was wondering what sort of things we should get for it.

Obviously things like jumper leads, it has a jack and a spare (full spare not a space saver, even)

But beyond that I'm kinda lost. I was thinking a phone holder, maybe a jump starter, some seat covers.. but I'm not really sure, and I'd rather leave it up to you guys to recommend some resources or a list of stuff.

My car is going to be stored outside (we don't have a carport or garage) so I'd kinda like some kind of good car cover, but nothing hugely expensive. We rent, so we can't put up a carport or anything, either.

Also, anything else I should be aware of? We're sorting insurance and all that stuff, but it's been a long time since either of us bought a car (like.. 20 years ish) and we want to be prepared.

Thanks folks.

It should be tailored to where you live. Sealed drinking water and first aid kit, and a jump pack are in both of our dailies. In my cars I liked having a stiff sided container that I could throw that all in and have together. It ended up gathering a lot of stuff after I needed it once. Tire pressure gage, poncho, windshield washer fluid....

You should google Australian roadside service and see what they reccomend.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Mephiston posted:

Here's what I've built up over the years as my daily driver loadout:

Glove box/center console:

-Flashlight
-Tire gauge
-Tissues
-Pen/Pencil
-Notepad
-Universal USB charge cable

Trunk:

-spare tire and jack
-Jumper cables
-Lithium jumper pack
-12v air compressor
-Four-way wrench
-Harbor Freight Torque wrench w/ correct socket for wheels
-Pack of fuses
-Tool kit
-Disposable poncho

What the tool kit contains will vary from vehicle to vehicle but it should be whatever tools you'd need to perform normal maintenance and roadside repair type tasks. Usually that means some kind of multi-bit screw driver and a few specific sizes of wrenches, maybe some hex keys or torx drivers. Some cars have factory kits that provide good examples.

Beyond that, as StormDrain notes where you drive the car determines what else you should have. If it only gets used around the city you probably don't need much in the way of survival supplies, but if you go places where you might not be found if something goes wrong you should plan for that.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jul 7, 2021

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Paper towels and trash bags are nice to have on hand too.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Enos Cabell posted:

Paper towels and trash bags are nice to have on hand too.

You mean old fast food napkins and bags?

I think I deleted it but Douglas Adams was right, a towel is a great item to have with you.

Edit: I secretly love this question because various goons all think we need different things and if you follow all of the advice you will not have room for any other cargo. I have never needed a toolkit on any car newer than 2010, and even my screwdriver only gets used to take into work or someone's house. I cannot imagine actually torquing my lugs on a roadside replacement, and any tire needing to be inflated is probably screwed anyway, unless you have plugs too.

StormDrain fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jul 7, 2021

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

StormDrain posted:

You mean old fast food napkins and bags?

But of course!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

StormDrain posted:

It should be tailored to where you live.

Yeah, I'm mainly set up to call for help, but I'm driving on back country roads in the winter, so I bring an extra winter bag with hand warmers and warm clothes in case I need to hike it.

Something I find super valuable: cheap OBDII reader. It's great for "does this require a tow or can I ignore it until I get home".

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

StormDrain posted:

Sealed drinking water

Also, followup: are just a couple of disposable water bottles what we are talking about here? I keep 2-3 and swap them out every year, but I hate throwing water bottles away, but if I get something reusable I need to worry about mold and junk, so I stick with the disposable kind.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Back in my 20s a buddy and I road tripped to Denver in his piece of poo poo old van, and discovered that a 5 gallon gravity bong is nice to have on hand to douse engine fires.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

StormDrain posted:

I secretly love this question because various goons all think we need different things and if you follow all of the advice you will not have room for any other cargo. I have never needed a toolkit on any car newer than 2010, and even my screwdriver only gets used to take into work or someone's house. I cannot imagine actually torquing my lugs on a roadside replacement, and any tire needing to be inflated is probably screwed anyway, unless you have plugs too.

Make sure you have a lot of extinguishers

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

StormDrain posted:

Edit: I secretly love this question because various goons all think we need different things and if you follow all of the advice you will not have room for any other cargo. I have never needed a toolkit on any car newer than 2010, and even my screwdriver only gets used to take into work or someone's house. I cannot imagine actually torquing my lugs on a roadside replacement, and any tire needing to be inflated is probably screwed anyway, unless you have plugs too.
Do you not? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I have a life hammer for smashing out windows in the event of an accident. It's probably overkill but it doesn't take up much space.