Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you call the disposable plastic bags with the clip at the top?
Zip Lock Bags
Glad Bags
View Results

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Is it true that yous guys are not allowed to have the Mortal Kombat video games?

we have had an R18+ classification for almost a decade now and its pretty uncommon for games to be banned outright these days.

Hotline Miami was one of the last problematic games I remember.

we have Mortal Kombat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Is it true that yous guys are not allowed to have the Mortal Kombat video games?

When I played mortal kombat 1 on my super nes it looked like sweat was coming out of the people when you uppercut them

actually that was probably a nintendo thing and not an Australia thing

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

nunsexmonkrock posted:

I think there were some issues around the amount of violence in the classic MK1 and 2 games, but the latest ones are available.

On a related note, R18+ movies couldn't be shown in theatres up until around the time Kill Bill 1 came out, because restricted movies were straight to DVD only, and I think there was a release delay. I remember that a lot of people hadn't seen 1 but saw 2.

Pretty sure there are just restrictions about how they can be advertised on public TV now.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Laserface posted:

we have had an R18+ classification for almost a decade now and its pretty uncommon for games to be banned outright these days.

Hotline Miami was one of the last problematic games I remember.

we have Mortal Kombat.

And the cert board haaaates that that rating finally got added because they can't rubber-stamp bans on games they don't like anymore because they're outrageously conservative and religious. They still try it though anytime they can get away with it, and nearly got Disco Elysium: The Final Cut for drug references before a recert. And probably someone telling them the original version had been on Steam for years already.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

They made the strippers invisible in duke3d
:australia:

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

Edit: you're right, I guess I unlocked it early enough I only remember the uncensored version

Aware fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jul 6, 2021

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Not only do we have Mortal Kombat, the recent movie was made in Australia too

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mx. posted:

They made the strippers invisible in duke3d
:australia:

If you've ever seen the Atelier games on store shelves and wondered why one of them has an R18+ rating, it's because of a single off-screen inferred boob-grope.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

drunkill posted:

Not only do we have Mortal Kombat, the recent movie was made in Australia too

It would be very Australian to give them a tax write off to film it here and then ban showing of it though.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Inceltown posted:

It would be very Australian to give them a tax write off to film it here and then ban showing of it though.

Then Hollywood doesn't care because Australia isn't a "big market" then proceed to make sure China doesn't get pissed off.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's because we just plain have better places that serve fried chicken :v:.

Seriously though, I personally recommend giving Belles Hot Chicken a try if you''re ever in Melbourne or Sydney.

Eh we do too. Drasko's is incredible.

But like, :effort: sometimes it's a pain to go where good food is when you live in the exurb wasteland.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Night trap, falsely accused of being some kinda rape game, I remember this as it was on display in the Gamesmen Penshurst.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7-I1nqmqTA

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

No picture cause I was driving but I just saw a cockatoo rip a bunch of siding off a house and fly away with it.

Stopped at a cafe and saw a man with a mullet and more face tattoos than teeth order a truffle hashbrown sandwich and a $12 coffee.

Australia :australia:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Excuse me, $12 coffee? What the gently caress have you yobs been up to down there?

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

What's in a $12 coffee?? Fukken avocado???

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

A Sometimes Food posted:

No picture cause I was driving but I just saw a cockatoo rip a bunch of siding off a house and fly away with it.

Stopped at a cafe and saw a man with a mullet and more face tattoos than teeth order a truffle hashbrown sandwich and a $12 coffee.

Australia :australia:

So, how was Lorne?

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Sic transit gloria. Maybe we'll meet again someday, when the fighting stops.
making that sweet tradie cash

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

It's good to have a sense of scale.

I've noticed Australia has an unusual respect for tradies. Is that real or put-on for comedic effect on the internet? I feel like I could get elected PM by walking around giving anyone in an orange vest a cold Gatoraide and calling them a legend.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Caedus posted:

I've noticed Australia has an unusual respect for tradies. Is that real or put-on for comedic effect on the internet? I feel like I could get elected PM by walking around giving anyone in an orange vest a cold Gatoraide and calling them a legend.

I'm not sure how unusual it is but yes those with a trade a generally well respected. To be clear a tradie has done a 4 (or so) year apprenticeship - as opposed to a labourer.

But it wasn't always the case. I reckon about 20 years ago or so there was still the idea of a tradie being a bit of a dag, plumbers' crack showing etc. I remember there being a distinct shift in public perspective.

'Tradies get the ladies' wasn't always a saying.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Dunno about Aus, but NZ has gone completely insane for tradie chic for the last 5 years. I don't know why. There's even a tradies brand underwear

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Tradies make more money than fuckwits with a degree. They're also generally more useful to have around of anything breaks.

They're also more likely to be dickheads but nobody's perfect.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Outrail posted:

Tradies make more money than fuckwits with a degree. They're also generally more useful to have around of anything breaks.

They're also more likely to be dickheads but nobody's perfect.

People with a degree are more likely to be a wanker than a yob, this is true.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Tradies can be wankers, office snobs can be wankers, basically every oval office can be a fucken wanker ay.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

ili posted:

Tradies can be wankers, office snobs can be wankers, basically every oval office can be a fucken wanker ay.

Truth.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ili posted:

And then there's real estate agents...

Actually I know a couple of real estate agents and they're OK

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Australia has already weighed in this.

https://youtu.be/-4vSEXvLsx0

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

EoinCannon posted:

And then there's real estate agents...

Actually I know a couple of real estate agents and they're OK

Developers. I've never met a real estate developer that wasn't pure uncut scum.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Breetai posted:

Australia has already weighed in this.

https://youtu.be/-4vSEXvLsx0

The amount of tradies and labourers that are now full blown wankers would probably make tism weep

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

Caedus posted:

Tradies get alot of respect and they also get paid alot. We've got strong federal unions, especially for construction, electrical, etc which doesn't hurt.

From what I've seen it seems tradies are thought of like failures or deadshit morons over in the US which just doesn't happen over here.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
then again there are still people over here who look down on trades but most of them are terminally online and have never met actually met tradie IRL

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
While tradies might seem to get paid a lot here, their working life is often shortened by work related health issues.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Lolie posted:

While tradies might seem to get paid a lot here, their working life is often shortened by work related health issues.

I mean we have those in the U.S. too... are there more Australian hazards involved?

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Caedus posted:

It's largely real, but there is an ironic element as well as a culture vulture aspect as well. Private school kids love to feel tough and True Blue by getting a mullet and a high vis and drinking VB.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
More that Australia simply doesn't have quite as much worship of the rich or business owners as the US does. (Except from our politicians, of course)

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

lmao

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Slugnoid posted:

Tradies get alot of respect and they also get paid alot. We've got strong federal unions, especially for construction, electrical, etc which doesn't hurt.

From what I've seen it seems tradies are thought of like failures or deadshit morons over in the US which just doesn't happen over here.

Jesus loving christ. 4 year degree and ten years experience and I don't even come close to that. Next time around I'm wearing shorter shorts.

e: 36 hours week :suicide:

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!

Dove on to the page to find out for all of us, finally found the post (She had changed the background after some complaints) after wading through usual inane local page crap asking for 'Mechanics that doesn't cost an arm and leg' and 'where's the best vet to take my dog', and there are a lot.

Turns out it was a suicide, and naturally, the comments are full of *these folk*... But the last comment made me laugh.

Bonus: Stinjy bogans

Now we debate the proper spelling for stinjy

Maximum Sexy Pigeon fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jul 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!
Scrolled through the page a bit more, found this post:

Fair enough, let's look at some answers.

Oh

Man, folk don't like Townsville...

Oh, that's something I guess.

Guys...

...I think Townsville might be a shithole...