Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you call the disposable plastic bags with the clip at the top?
Zip Lock Bags
Glad Bags
View Results

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!
Since that bloody Americana.jpg thread is going burko with its voyeuristic expose of otherworldly American offal, it's best we show the world what is actually up with the land Down Under, rather than being an insular discussion for local AusGoons, this is where we get to exhibit our unique culture and confusing country from bizarre animals, delectable cuisine, dry sense of national humor and deeply ingrained casual racism where we love claiming other country's inventions and hate people who are good at things...

I'll kick her off with stupid big things

we have:

THE BIG MERINO Goulburn, New South Wales.

Not to be confused with The Big Merino in Wagin, Western Australia, this hulking, demon-possessed, and much-lauded Bovidae is a monument to one of our longest-standing exports, WOOL.

We were exporting so much bloody wool at some point that ports and docks of cities and major towns boasting enormous woolstores that housed more wool than could fit on one ship.

The industry so large that dotted across the country were massive shearing sheds, some still remain that date back to the mid-1800s or earlier and are generally in the middle of loving nowhere, like this sandstone beast rotting away in Cordillo Downs in South Australia.

As for the woolstores, these massive warehouses spent generations soaking up all the lanolin from the wool itself and would occasionally burn to the ground in an unstoppable, oil-soaked-wood fuelled inferno that firemen dreaded.

Anyway, also there is The Big banana in Coffs Harbour, NSW.

This massive yellow tourist trap has been photographed by north-coast passers' by since 1964 and represents one of our other big exports that seems to go to poo poo every time North Queensland cops a decent cyclone.

Just a casual 5-hour drive north and you'll find The Big Pineapple in Woombye, Queensland.

While not as popular as the banana, it boasts the intriguing bonus that you may actually enter the pineapple and be inside it, which is an outrageous drawcard for people who have dreamed of being inside a pineapple, though it is allegedly full of spiders.

It recently came back to headline news locally as a drunk gronk decided to take a cheeky hoon in the little tourist train on the property and managed the derail the fucken' thing. What a legend.

https://www.4bc.com.au/big-pineapple-train-derailed-and-crashed-in-alleged-joyride/

There's also a Big Prawn in Ballina, New South Wales, which doubles as a focal point for stoned welfare recipients of the region.

And finally for now, Big Poo of Merimbula, NSW (Formerly of Kiama) which itself is a treat of a selfie op and a wonderful story...

quote:

Unveiled in 2002, the Big Poo is made out of foam. This gives it two advantages, according to Cohen. One, it’s portable; it can very easily be moved if need be. And two, “it’s a floater,” he said. While it can float, it doesn’t. Instead, the Big Poo sits right next to the Welcome to Kiama sign next to the Princes Highway. “I am very unhappy to be here today to officially launch this five-meter-long memorial to the renewed stupidity and deceit of Sydney Water,” Cohen said at the time of its placement. “Sydney Water has distracted and misled South Coast community groups and Jamberoo farmers for two years with so-called ‘consultation’ on a new sewerage scheme for the local Jamberoo Valley, a consultation focused on reuse of effluent.... Now Sydney Water has shown its true colors - brown and yellow - and has finally revealed that it proposes to retreat to past standard operative procedure and dump the effluent on the ocean at Bombo.”

Update as of November 2019: The Big Poo has resurfaced near the Ford Oval toilet block near Merimbula’s Main Beach.

Contributions to this thread and encouraged and welcome, as well as questions from confused members of anywhere else in the world.

Cheers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

While I had no intention of adding to this thread so soon, a friend is touring the Northern Territory right now and just posted this absolute gem of a find.

The Pink Panther Hotel in Larrimah, NT. The middle of nowhere in an incredibly sparsely populated land...

The pub hosts another notable landmark, The Big Stubby which is its only claim to fame other than the mysterious disappearance of a man and his dog in 2017 which is still unsolved.

I'll let the images speak for themselves as far as folk art and general WTF goes...

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
hell yes. im going to have Many Important Questions for this thread

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
First question. Where are the fattest, dumbest rednecks located in Australia? And not "on the other end of the Pacific ocean"

Second question:

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

i am a huge man with a huge appetite for bananas but no banana has ever been able to sate me

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

Aardvark! posted:

First question. Where are the fattest, dumbest rednecks located in Australia? And not "on the other end of the Pacific ocean"

Queensland.

quote:

Second question:

That there, mate, is a Pie Floater. Considered a type of 'street food' and the idea was imported from a cheap English dish.

quote:

The pie floater is an Australian dish particularly common in Adelaide. It consists of a meat pie in a thick pea soup, typically with the addition of tomato sauce. Believed to have been first created in the 1890s, the pie floater gained popularity as a meal sold by South Australian pie carts. In 2003, it was recognised as a South Australian Heritage Icon.

A pie floater commonly consists of a traditional Australian-style meat pie, usually sitting, but sometimes submerged (traditionally upside down) in a bowl of thick pea soup made from blue boiler peas. It is often self-garnished with tomato sauce, and the consumer may also add a combination of mint sauce, salt, pepper, or malt vinegar according to personal preference.

Early records in South Australia state that the pie floater was reputedly born in Port Pirie conceived by one Ern "Shorty" Bradley in 1890s, but it remains unknown if he did and how it came about

It's worth noting that Port Pirie is renowned as one of Australia's crappiest towns, forever holding the #10 slot for the weekly poo poo Towns Of Australia shame list from a popular satirical page (https://www.facebook.com/shittownsofaustralia/) which lists poo poo towns based on notable news articles and also awards specific towns on other demerits.

For example, here is this week's list.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon fucked around with this message at 07:43 on May 24, 2021

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

i am a huge man with a huge appetite for bananas but no banana has ever been able to sate me

You may have a cyclone named after you if you promise to make landfall near Innisfail or Tulley.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
What is a gronk????? Is that like a Florida Man?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Aardvark! posted:

All Australians are Florida man. All.

Gronk translates to something like deadshit.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

Inceltown posted:

All Australians are Florida man. All.

Gronk translates to something like deadshit.

Or drongo

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane

NSW gets pretty drat racist. Found one homestead owner whose dad thought it was a good laugh to shorten the homesteads name on the sign to "nynga" station.

Basically, all of it is the racist bit. And it doesn't stop at skin tone. Aussies rage at poms or anyone else with ideas that don't originate from the motherland.

Also, the gently caress is the OP on about? 5 hours from banana to pineapple? Good luck getting from Coffs to brissie in 4 hours. The traffic loving blows.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
More wool than can fit on one ship? Is that supposed to be a lot of wool?
Anyway, for content...
I was going to post a picture of a poop to express my disdain so I searched for Australian dog poo poo and this was typical....

Even your dogs are a pack of wimp shiters. I would be embarrassed if my mates fat ancient foxy cross did shits that wimpy, just to be within 50 miles of a dog that did that pathetic a crap. Heck I've seen bigger rat turds.

Anyway good luck with your thread I will be watching with bated breath, eager to see your fresh perversions to feel better about myself and my neighbors.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

I was going to bring up Witenoom later on, the town was taken off the map some time ago and removed from the grid because the whole area is contaminated with blue asbestos.

This cute little video will clear up all you need to know, it's surprisingly charming but I don't want to spoil it, so just watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaHw_bGI2ME

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

BrassRoots posted:

NSW gets pretty drat racist. Found one homestead owner whose dad thought it was a good laugh to shorten the homesteads name on the sign to "nynga" station.

Basically, all of it is the racist bit. And it doesn't stop at skin tone. Aussies rage at poms or anyone else with ideas that don't originate from the motherland.

Also, the gently caress is the OP on about? 5 hours from banana to pineapple? Good luck getting from Coffs to brissie in 4 hours. The traffic loving blows.

Two words: One Nation.

Also, google thinks you can get there in around that time, I've never tried it.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
https://allthatsinteresting.com/olive-python-eating-crocodile

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

This post/display pic combo got me rattled

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
Waiting for the potato cake/scallop wars to commence.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

tie me kangaroo down sport, a ruddy dingo ate my baby!

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

Lolie posted:

it's a potato cake.

i'll die on this hill.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

Lolie posted:

Either or, they're awful.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
:boonie:

:boonie::boonie::boonie:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Maximum Sexy Pigeon posted:

It's worth noting that Port Pirie is renowned as one of Australia's crappiest towns, forever holding the #10 slot for the weekly poo poo Towns Of Australia shame list from a popular satirical page (https://www.facebook.com/shittownsofaustralia/) which lists poo poo towns based on notable news articles and also awards specific towns on other demerits.

For example, here is this week's list.

Port Pirie's mayor actually had a sook about it and it made national news
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-10/port-pirie-named-s-test-town-in-south-australia/100128394

:thumbsup:

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Lolie posted:

Pfft.

What about the Pot/middy/schooner etc. divide.

I can still remember the dirty looks I git on my first trip to Sydney. All I wanted was a bloody beer, and the stupid bartender didn't even know what size glass to put it in.

I suppose that's what a lifetime of following Rugby League will do to a person.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

BrigadierSensible posted:

Pfft.

What about the Pot/middy/schooner etc. divide.

I can still remember the dirty looks I git on my first trip to Sydney. All I wanted was a bloody beer, and the stupid bartender didn't even know what size glass to put it in.

I suppose that's what a lifetime of following Rugby League will do to a person.

Easy.

Pot/middy is the same thing on the east coast as a schooner is in Adelaide because they don't know what the gently caress beer sizes are.

Seriously, WTF Adelaide?

Maximum Sexy Pigeon fucked around with this message at 10:25 on May 24, 2021

Turpitude II
Nov 10, 2014

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

sailor goon

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

Tace Vim posted:

sailor goon

:australia:

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

If you grew up in Melbourne during the 90s, then there was a rumour going around that one of your teachers was a member of this band.

But you'd be wrong. Coz the bass player was my year 9 Maths teacher.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

BrigadierSensible posted:

If you grew up in Melbourne during the 90s, then there was a rumour going around that one of your teachers was a member of this band.

But you'd be wrong. Coz the bass player was my year 9 Maths teacher.

Mr. Holt?

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Aardvark! posted:

A dude that had spent some time in various jails in Sydney, when I asked why he just called a person in the room a Gronk he said "because he's a dirty fucker who never has a fuckin shower".

I think it's a jail thing here.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
I watched this documentary about Australia recently, thought it might help answer some questions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6yg4ImnYwA

Visible Stink
Mar 31, 2010

Got a light, handsome?

e: I just realised that is an English magpie, here is a possum smoking a joint instead

Visible Stink fucked around with this message at 14:54 on May 24, 2021

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
lol a lot

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Weka posted:

More wool than can fit on one ship? Is that supposed to be a lot of wool?
Anyway, for content...
I was going to post a picture of a poop to express my disdain so I searched for Australian dog poo poo and this was typical....

Even your dogs are a pack of wimp shiters. I would be embarrassed if my mates fat ancient foxy cross did shits that wimpy, just to be within 50 miles of a dog that did that pathetic a crap. Heck I've seen bigger rat turds.

Anyway good luck with your thread I will be watching with bated breath, eager to see your fresh perversions to feel better about myself and my neighbors.

i tried reading that flag out loud, turns out i wasn't muted in my work call so my coworker heard me say "You dog oval office" in a horrible australian accent :thumbsup: thankfully nobody important

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I could not see the sheep at first

I just got some gunty grub monster with two tiny arms praising the sun Nurgle

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

a friend of mine went backpacking in australia and spent 8 weeks in wollongong for some reason, probably because he thought the name sounded funny

he doesn't talk about what happened there other than that he called some american guy a ginger oval office for stealing his kebab or something and was later attacked by said ginger oval office, which ended up with both of them going to hospital.

wollongong sounds like a city of dreams