Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
I think it’s going to be his shortest review yet and all of this is meta commentary on the delays and feature bloat, and then when it comes out it will mirror the game’s disappointing release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is he he spoofing CDPR with this post it's just too perfect to be real.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Outer Wilds is fantastic. Just utterly fantastic.

Last night I think I made a ton of discoveries. Got some new theories from it all! Still have a few big things to try and find as well!

Still got two quantum lessons to learn - one I know where it is but do not have the knowledge of how to get there yet, the other I think might be on Ember Twin but have not found it yet.

I must complete this game and learn all of its secrets! :D

My jetpacking was still pretty shoddy but I did manage a few nice saves. Even being swept up by Ash Twin a couple of times I managed to get back down to where I wanted to be.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I paid $3 for Tomb Raider and it's really good lol

Kind of like how linear and focused and fast paced it is, starting to think I don't actually like open worlds that much

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Paperhouse posted:

I paid $3 for Tomb Raider and it's really good lol

Kind of like how linear and focused and fast paced it is, starting to think I don't actually like open worlds that much

You won’t like the sequels then :(

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Escobarbarian posted:

Been saying the Switch Pro rumours were bs for years haha. Even if they were working on one at some point, which seems likely, they obv haven’t been for a while

the fallout has been glorious. subreddits are on fire. resetera have gone civil war on the insiders. :allears:

"but trust me, theres another model on its way!! with dlss and ps6 graphics!"

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

acksplode posted:

Nintendo wouldn't release an upgraded Switch without first releasing a minor revision that everyone regrets buying once the full upgrade is announced soon afterward, so I basically took the news as confirmation that Switch Pro is gonna be here in a year or two.

nope. they are going full 8-10 year life span with the switch, any upgraded switch will basically be the next console they do. there will never be a "pro" like rumoured. there will be a super switch that is bc with normal switch and it will tank like the wii u. i have foreseen this.

nothing they can do tho lmao, not like they can call it something else and its not like they are going back to pure tv only either, but they need avoid wii u mistake thats for sure.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
If they were going to make the Switch Pro at any point in the next two years, they would have to start literally TODAY because of how difficult chips are to produce and distribute these days.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
The only Pro switch that matters is the one from a PS4 Pro to a PS5 :colbert:

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i think i need some help with sekiro. i’m at a point where i have two options for boss fights and they’re both very hard: general tenzen or juzou the drunkard. tenzen seems more manageable at this time since he has a safer arena and no status attack, but picking off all of his guys without alerting him so i can hit him with a sneak attack takes a really long time. juzou’s fight is the same deal where there are like eight dudes hanging around that there’s no way i can handle while trying not to get killed by a boss. i imagine these aren’t the only boss encounters set up like this and they will only get harder, so what’s the move here? just pick ‘em all off every time and hope for the best?

the hardest thing about this game is unlearning everything i learned from dark souls. i’ve been trying to fight these guys like souls bosses where i hang back, wait for them to whiff, then run in and punish, but obviously that doesn’t do poo poo for wearing down their posture. i need to train myself to stand my ground and keep guarding

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Weedle posted:

i think i need some help with sekiro. i’m at a point where i have two options for boss fights and they’re both very hard: general tenzen or juzou the drunkard. tenzen seems more manageable at this time since he has a safer arena and no status attack, but picking off all of his guys without alerting him so i can hit him with a sneak attack takes a really long time. juzou’s fight is the same deal where there are like eight dudes hanging around that there’s no way i can handle while trying not to get killed by a boss. i imagine these aren’t the only boss encounters set up like this and they will only get harder, so what’s the move here? just pick ‘em all off every time and hope for the best?

Those guys are both technically optional- the drunkard area is a side area not required for story progress (the game really does not make this clear) and you don't have to engage the general to continue past him

For the general, yeah, you want to go around killing all the other dudes before taking him on. Near the bridge there's a place to drop down that will reset everyone's aggro so you can run away and jump back up if things get out of hand. Or you can turn around and keep going in that direction and do that encounter later, the rest of the game is past that dropdown. There are other minibosses like that but none of them are required to be killed the moment you find them

For the drunkard fight there are 2 ways to make it easier:

-if you go around to the left you can find a hallway that lets you pull off his minions in batches until the field is clearer

-there is a friendly samurai hiding on the right side of the lake. if it's only you, him, and the boss he's a good distraction

And yes, blocking is an integral part of the game and not using it will make things much harder and more time-consuming

Weedle
May 31, 2006

haveblue posted:

Those guys are both technically optional- the drunkard area is a side area not required for story progress (the game really does not make this clear) and you don't have to engage the general to continue past him

For the general, yeah, you want to go around killing all the other dudes before taking him on. Near the bridge there's a place to drop down that will reset everyone's aggro so you can run away and jump back up if things get out of hand. Or you can turn around and keep going in that direction and do that encounter later, the rest of the game is past that dropdown. There are other minibosses like that but none of them are required to be killed the moment you find them

For the drunkard fight there are 2 ways to make it easier:

-if you go around to the left you can find a hallway that lets you pull off his minions in batches until the field is clearer

-there is a friendly samurai hiding on the right side of the lake. if it's only you, him, and the boss he's a good distraction

And yes, blocking is an integral part of the game and not using it will make things much harder and more time-consuming

huh i saw the little house with the temple note down below tenzen's arena but i didn't see any way to continue past there. i figured i needed something from tenzen to keep going. guess i'll have another look. thanks for the tip, i'll come back to these guys once i'm more confident. the quest for the fourth prayer bead continues

Weedle
May 31, 2006

one of my favorite moments in this game so far has been going under the bridge, seeing that weird little goblin freak and realizing this is going to get a lot weirder than i expected

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Vikar Jerome posted:

nope. they are going full 8-10 year life span with the switch, any upgraded switch will basically be the next console they do. there will never be a "pro" like rumoured. there will be a super switch that is bc with normal switch and it will tank like the wii u. i have foreseen this.

nothing they can do tho lmao, not like they can call it something else and its not like they are going back to pure tv only either, but they need avoid wii u mistake thats for sure.

Nintendo is in the business of making $$ for Nintendo. They are not there to make people happy. The Switch is selling like crazy right now. Arguably better than at any other time in it's lifespan. There is no good business reason for Nintendo to stop that at this time. The Switch has a legit shot at outselling the PS2 and the DS. It's going to fly past 100 million sold this year or early next year.

They aren't competing with anyone. Sony and MS are direct competitors so need to keep pushing the bleeding edge. Nintendo just needs to do the bare minimum to scrape by, so that is what they do. A couple good games a year and an old as poo poo tech handheld that you can connect to your TV.

It really sucks for fans who have stuck by them for years.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Weedle posted:

one of my favorite moments in this game so far has been going under the bridge, seeing that weird little goblin freak and realizing this is going to get a lot weirder than i expected

Had this exact same reaction. Sekiro is probably the best action game I’ve ever played.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
“As a huge fan of Nintendo for my entire life, I’m pretty disappointed that they are behaving exactly the same as they have for my entire life”

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Bust Rodd posted:

“As a huge fan of Nintendo for my entire life, I’m pretty disappointed that they are behaving exactly the same as they have for my entire life”

This isn't true, though. The Wii is the first instance of them mailing it in. But during the Wiis heyday, there were a lot of releases and some innovation. The Switch is by far the worst, though.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

OLED screens are cool and good until you get burn-ins because they don't bother using a good quality one that lasts more than a year and a half.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I have a heavily used OLED vita that has no burn in.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Waltzing Along posted:

It really sucks for fans who have stuck by them for years.

they are releasing metroid 5: metroid dread this year, 19 years after all the rumours and hints and name drops in MP. they are pumping out great video games now, banger after banger and the next zelda looks great and they made fi shut up in skyward sword.

it really does not suck for fans who have stuck by them for years UNLESS YOU ARE A GRAPIXFRAMZ HOE

i mean poo poo. i can play 8 resident evil games whereever i want now. i can play mario 64 wherever. street fighter. gently caress mario golf looks great. switch is an amazing systems with games.

unlike THE PS4 SUPER PRO

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jul 7, 2021

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Same

Weedle
May 31, 2006

personally as a lifelong fan of nintendo handhelds i am quite pleased with the switch as the best handheld they or anyone have ever made

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Vikar Jerome posted:

they are releasing metroid 5: metroid dread this year, 19 years after all the rumours and hints and name drops in MP. they are pumping out great video games now, banger after banger and the next zelda looks great and they made fi shut up in skyward sword.

it really does not suck for fans who have stuck by them for years UNLESS YOU ARE A GRAPIXFRAMZ HOE

i mean poo poo. i can play 8 resident evil games whereever i want now. i can play mario 64 wherever. street fighter. gently caress mario golf looks great. switch is an amazing systems with games.

unlike THE PS4 SUPER PRO

Mario Kart 8

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

My launch Vita has no burn in thankfully. Wound up getting a slim last year just so I could retire my launch system before anything really bad happens to it.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

quote:

also because nintendo announced an OLED NINTENDO SWITCH on the day i'd planned these announcements: after the cyberpunk 2077 video comes out, i will do a week-long charity livestream event in which i make a whole review of a random game. i WILL teach YOU how to do THIS. for free!

Oh please come on guys let's get him to do 13 Sentinels or AI

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

its better than mario kart 64! wish they had kept the unlock progress tho

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Vikar Jerome posted:

gently caress mario golf looks great.

it's super fun and i play like two hours every day with goons, but it actually is kind of disappointing visually. the characters look great but the courses are kind of drab and some of the textures are insanely bad. in handheld mode there are some severe resolution drops too which is just bizarre considering how visually simplistic it is and how much better mario odyssey looked four years ago on the exact same hardware. i guess that's a product of odyssey being a triple-a bonanza and this probably being more of a low-budget affair but like. come on now.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Weedle posted:

it's super fun and i play like two hours every day with goons, but it actually is kind of disappointing visually. the characters look great but the courses are kind of drab and some of the textures are insanely bad. in handheld mode there are some severe resolution drops too which is just bizarre considering how visually simplistic it is and how much better mario odyssey looked four years ago on the exact same hardware. i guess that's a product of odyssey being a triple-a bonanza and this probably being more of a low-budget affair but like. come on now.

omg is that a real graphics

Weedle
May 31, 2006

completely unaltered screenshot taken straight from the album

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

All graphics are an illusion.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Weedle posted:

I have no idea what you're talking about, that looks perfectly fine for a DS game

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Legit looks worse than some of the games I played on 3DS

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

This is the PS4 thread. Why is everybody talking about Nintendo

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
PS4 thread has no rules, maaaaaaaan

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Pablo Nergigante posted:

they stopped making PS4 and PS5 games

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Pablo Nergigante posted:

i dunno i came in here to talk about sekiro but i also have opinions about nintendos so i'm just going with the flow

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Weedle posted:

completely unaltered screenshot taken straight from the album

eh the ablum compresses stuff but thats handheld right? i think xenoblade does the same weird thing and gets blurry.

i dunno, i play age of calamity on a 110 projector screen and it looks fine to my broken melted eyes.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Vikar Jerome posted:

eh the ablum compresses stuff but thats handheld right? i think xenoblade does the same weird thing and gets blurry.

i dunno, i play age of calamity on a 110 projector screen and it looks fine to my broken melted eyes.

it is handheld but it rarely gets that bad, most of the time it's a lot closer to 720p. xbc2 looks a lot worse, it's always that low-res and has a horrible sharpening filter (unless they patched that out since i gave up on it). it's probably better docked but again, past games like odyssey and mk8 manage to produce much better visuals in handheld mode while still sticking a consistent 60fps. it could be better is all i'm saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Don’t the graphics look worse in Multiplayer than in single player?