Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Wasn’t there a D20 fantasy setting whose main selling point was that it was set during an actual golden age instead of post-Cataclysm/Apocalypse/Sundering?

Can’t remember anything else about it other than I think it was one of the contenders in the WotC setting contest that eventually resulted in Eberron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Comrade Koba posted:

Wasn’t there a D20 fantasy setting whose main selling point was that it was set during an actual golden age instead of post-Cataclysm/Apocalypse/Sundering?

Can’t remember anything else about it other than I think it was one of the contenders in the WotC setting contest that eventually resulted in Eberron.

Dawnforge? I think it was published as an early part (2003?) of what became the d20 glut, so it may not be what you're thinking of. When was the setting contest?

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

The contest started in 2002, so it's possible Dawnforge was part of it. All I know about the contest is that there were something like 12k entries (most of which were nearly identical generic fantasy), Eberron won and got published, the author of the Order of the Stick submitted a setting that made it into the final three, and that WotC kept the rights to the final three settings though they only did anything with Eberron.

senrath fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jul 7, 2021

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
It's reasonable to limit the definition of "post-apocalyptic" to settings where the aftermath of the apocalypse is the thing that dominates the setting's aesthetic and themes. An apocalypse far enough in the past that all you can see of it are echoes, but the world has generally moved on, no longer needs the term.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Dawnforge? I think it was published as an early part (2003?) of what became the d20 glut, so it may not be what you're thinking of. When was the setting contest?

There wasn't one, but two such "golden age" D20 settings. Dawnforge is one of them, but MorningStar was the semi-finalist in the WotC setting search.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/3039/Morningstar

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Kestral posted:

It's reasonable to limit the definition of "post-apocalyptic" to settings where the aftermath of the apocalypse is the thing that dominates the setting's aesthetic and themes.

:agreed:

A ton of fantasy games have extinct precursor empires, just because these make a convenient justification for slapping ruins full of monsters, traps and treasures all over the place in an otherwise "normal" medieval setting with kings, countries, and armies. That generally doesn't make them "post-apocalyptic settings" because the apocalypse isn't actually central to the setting.

IMO how far in the past or not the apocalypse is in doesn't actually matter, though. If the apocalypse happened 10000 years ago but your kings and empires are presently engaged in an arms race to dig up super-advanced precursor magitech and scholars sponsor adventures to go spelunking for ancient texts, then that's a post-apocalyptic setting even if the apocalypse was considered an ancient myth until a handful of in-setting years ago. Conversely, if the apocalypse happened 200 years ago but society has moved on and rebuilt and no one cares about the contents of the precursor ruins except scavengers looking to make a quick buck or a secret society trying to make sure no one can rediscover the magi-nukes, then the setting isn't post-apocalyptic.

Stuff like the 4E Points of Light setting isn't post-apocalyptic because Nerath collapsed 100 years ago, it's post-apocalyptic because the collapse of Arkhosia and Bael Turath led to the world being reduced to monster-infested wilderness with a few isolated points of light for centuries, and adventurers are generally trying to foster the development of civilisation.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Jul 7, 2021

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Dark Sun had a really cool thing where it was implied that Athas was the last inhabited world in the entire collapsing D&D multiverse.

You couldn't escape Athas, and it was never explicitly stated, but the only thing that makes sense is that there was literally nowhere else to go. It was isolated in time, at the end.

Then they were like "actually super magic keeps it separate" because D&D is for people without imaginations.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I kinda want to play a game where the apocalypse or collapse is happening elsewhere and you don't quite see it. The tax collector from the empire doesn't show up that year, and you just kinda shrug and carry on, and then he doesn't show up next year and the traders who bring in the food are telling weird stories and nobody's sure what's going on, and then by the third year you start to have some ideas...

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

KingKalamari posted:

Eberron has The Last War and all its associated ugliness

By this logic, the 1950's are post apocalyptic

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Kestral posted:

It's reasonable to limit the definition of "post-apocalyptic" to settings where the aftermath of the apocalypse is the thing that dominates the setting's aesthetic and themes. An apocalypse far enough in the past that all you can see of it are echoes, but the world has generally moved on, no longer needs the term.
The Black Plague was arguably an apocalypse, and the introduction of European diseases to America definitely was, but I do not think these are usually used as primary reference points.

Nessus fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Jul 7, 2021

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

The Deleter posted:

I kinda want to play a game where the apocalypse or collapse is happening elsewhere and you don't quite see it. The tax collector from the empire doesn't show up that year, and you just kinda shrug and carry on, and then he doesn't show up next year and the traders who bring in the food are telling weird stories and nobody's sure what's going on, and then by the third year you start to have some ideas...

This actually sounds like a great kind of prologue for a campaign!

Warthur
May 2, 2004

theironjef posted:

Gamma World is fantasy Earth but a million years in the future, and Jim Ward wrote for at least one edition of Gamma World. This is just some chicanery, not worth disproving really.
By "wrote for at least one" we can pretty much say "invented the game", he co-authored the first edition and it was kind of a sequel to Metamorphosis Alpha, which was also him.

1st edition Gamma World also billed itself as "science fantasy" so either Jim is spectacularly full of poo poo or (the sadder option) he genuinely can't remember his own most-celebrated accomplishment in the industry.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Prediction: They're doing a standard 80s after the bomb/the morrow project type post-nuclear rpg except the nukes were magic or caused magic. Fallout except replace FEV with ghost rock magic. That's what they mean by the first post apocalyptic fantasy rpg.

All the other ones don't count because they weren't set on earth or involve the wrong alt history or the bombs didn't drop in the late 20th/early 21st century or don't take the concept seriously or are storygames and automatically don't count.

And don't get me wrong, "The Morrow Project but you're a wizard" would be extremely my jam, but dang was their phrasing revealing.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

According to someone on Twitter who might know, Ward has some legit brain dysfunction and this project may be taking advantage of him. So that's great.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

That Old Tree posted:

A clever strategy, to divert attention from your compatriot's clusterfuck of garbage sociopolitical opinions to the one thing nerds love to chew on even more: bizarre, idiosyncratic nitpicking about genres and genre conventions.
To be fair drawing attention to oneself when your Facebook still has you complaining about people who kneeled during the national anthem and saying "NOT ALL COPS" isn't exactly the smartest of plans.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Splicer posted:

Prediction: They're doing a standard 80s after the bomb/the morrow project type post-nuclear rpg except the nukes were magic or caused magic. Fallout except replace FEV with ghost rock magic. That's what they mean by the first post apocalyptic fantasy rpg.

All the other ones don't count because they weren't set on earth or involve the wrong alt history or the bombs didn't drop in the late 20th/early 21st century or don't take the concept seriously or are storygames and automatically don't count.

And don't get me wrong, "The Morrow Project but you're a wizard" would be extremely my jam, but dang was their phrasing revealing.

Imagine him jumping through this many stipulation hoops and still losing because that all describes Rifts of all things.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Splicer posted:

As long as we don't have to use the Morrow Project rules, I'm sold.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Halloween Jack posted:

What, you don't like spending non-refundable points at character creation to increase your chance to roll psionics at character creation? Next you'll tell me that explaining how downs syndrome can be used as a scientificly accurate way to add orcs and giants to your campaign is "in poor taste" :rolleyes:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I didn't get past the tables for calculating your height, weight, "structure points," and how much blood is in your body to read any of that awful poo poo.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Mr.Misfit posted:

It was kind of inspired by the Fall of Rome podcast where a lot of it was just that the wheels of the bureaucracy broke down and all the people who owned the regions started moving to compensate. If you owned a province and no central authority was coming to collect taxes or take recruits for the army, then it was easier to take that money and hire some mercenaries, and whoops you're a king now. This is based on half-remembered stuff and obviously wasn't the full picture but I think it'd be an interesting thing to do - start up a campaign as the social order's breaking down.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Halloween Jack posted:

Aftermath has a magic supplement.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Halloween Jack posted:

I didn't get past the tables for calculating your height, weight, "structure points," and how much blood is in your body to read any of that awful poo poo.
Oh god I forgot about your literal blood points.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

By this logic, the 1950's are post apocalyptic

For large swaths of Asia, Europe, and North Africa, they were. The bombed and burned-out hellscapes of once great cities are from where we draw much of our post-apocalyptic imagery.

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
Idk about yall but “apocalypse” means end of the whole rear end world and not, a single empire falling or a statistically unusual number of people dying so stuff set after the fall of rome or w/e is not even remotely similar

Dark sun is post apoc, forgotten realms or middle earth definitely isnt

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
My post-apocalyptic game is set on September 10th, 2001. History as we know it is over. The future is simply a process of bringing various regional and cultural disputes in line with the global democratic consensus, by which I mean aggregate market activity. All nations, ethnicities, religions, and other cultural groups will dissolve into a mass of individuals who understand themselves as consumers. Now to take a biiig sip of coffee and buy shares in a recently privatized energy company.

Splicer posted:

Oh god I forgot about your literal blood points.
:drac:

Morrow Project is one of those games (Millennium's End is another) that has no real interest in its premise. It's just a jumping-off point to stat out dozens of different small-arms calibers. If I remember right, the Blood Points mechanic was supposed to be a big selling point. For a game that's all about rebuilding the US--to the point where the PCs have all received training in civics--it has awful domain management rules.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jul 7, 2021

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

The Deleter posted:

Mr.Misfit posted:

If this sounds cool to folks here, keep your eyes on the Tales from the Low Cantrefs, which is currently in its second round of playtesting. It bills itself as...

quote:

a hearth fantasy coming-of-age roleplaying game Powered by the Apocalypse and inspired by the Old Kingdom trilogy and the Chronicles of Prydain. It tells stories about adolescence and self-acceptance, about grief and sacrifice, about duty and responsibility, and a slowly gathering apocalypse.

... and that "slowly gathering apocalypse" is mechanically very present. Low Cantrefs protagonists are kids and young adults, but the campaign takes place over decades and multiple settlements that grow increasingly isolated as the old order slowly crumbles. Every playbook has a set of Doom Stanzas, poetic prophecies of woe linked to their themes that the players mark over time, and which remain true even after you've played through one village's arc. Early on there's a lot of creeping societal collapse dooms like guest-right falling by the wayside as people grow suspicious of strangers, and the "fall of the Roman Empire from the perspective of distant villages who might not even speak Latin" energy is very real.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

ilikedirt posted:

Idk about yall but “apocalypse” means end of the whole rear end world

it means revelation :colbert:

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
That sounds dope as gently caress and I'm gonna keep an eye on it.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

PeterWeller posted:

For large swaths of Asia, Europe, and North Africa, they were. The bombed and burned-out hellscapes of once great cities are from where we draw much of our post-apocalyptic imagery.

similarly I want to say it was a thing in interwar films to invoke the imagery of WWI no man's land.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Oh this will go well.

So... TSR2 and TSR3 have now both rebranded - and neither one is using the name or logo.

Bonus points for wonderfiled spelling

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

dwarf74 posted:

Oh this will go well.

So... TSR2 and TSR3 have now both rebranded - and neither one is using the name or logo.

Filed Under: Wonder (how they're going to make any money at this rate)

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
"Make believe happen"?

Did they just forget how grammar works, or are there supposed to be periods at the end of those words?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
also Wonderfiled? Were they aiming for Wonderfield?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I predict maximum glee.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Kurieg posted:

also Wonderfiled? Were they aiming for Wonderfield?

or Wonder-fied

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
My brain keeps reading it as some weird portmanteau of "Wonder" and "Defiled"

Like something rendered completely unusable by excessive wonder.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
I for one do wonder just how deep the money pit they're digging for themselves will be, and what terrible decisions they'll be making before alienating even their staunchest supporters.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

dwarf74 posted:

Oh this will go well.

Wait, what's TSR2? I thought the timeline was Gygax TSR, Williams TSR, Dead, Gygax TSR.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
make believe happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Wait, what's TSR2? I thought the timeline was Gygax TSR, Williams TSR, Dead, Gygax TSR.

TSR2 were the folks putting out Top Secret: New World Order who had their trademark lapse so that LaNasa and Gygax could pick it up. They recently changed their name to Solarian to divest themselves from the whole mess and it looks like TSR3 is trying the same thing.