Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

If you have either Revan team, don't start over. You have a good enough team to do at least something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy
At this point, unlocking a GL for old accounts will at least get you into the top 100, no matter how old the shard is.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
The start over advice is really more applicable for someone that comes back and is basically still on a starter team, though hyperdrive still introduces a little problem into that plan.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
If I just kicked someone named TUM from the 'cord, please rejoin. You were mistaken for an account that got hacked.

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008
Any space in a goon guild? I haven’t play since the ships were introduce. I don’t want to restart as I’m pretty casual. I just want a cool sith team.

Ally code:769-171-778

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

New Wave Jose posted:

Any space in a goon guild? I haven’t play since the ships were introduce. I don’t want to restart as I’m pretty casual. I just want a cool sith team.

Ally code:769-171-778

Come to the discord my dude. Fun community & we'll get you hooked up on the waiting list.

Brass
Oct 30, 2011

I picked up this game a few months ago and I've been pretty hooked on it. The more I learn about the game, the more I realize all the mistakes I've been making. I had been playing for 2-3 months and had just 7 starred some of my Phoenix team while spending here and there. I was around level 50 when I decided to buy the HDB since I figured I was going to commit to playing more seriously. I had been worried that it would be too much and/or that I might lose interest afterwards. Well now I feel kinda stupid anyway with all the shards, exp, and gear progression I wasted. I've been diving deeper into the game since then, the HDB is definitely a lot. I've downloaded Bluestacks and created a few alts since then. I want to do a few hoard accounts, some long-term, some short term, mostly f2p but 1 that I want to buy HDB. I'm not averse to spending 10 bux, I just get off to a perception of value, and being efficient. There are a lot of various and interesting progression paths to take in this game that I want to check out myself to know more about them.

There is a lot to learn and I plan to continue being clumsy on my main, learning as I go. I have realized how I've been misallocating my resources - which again was made worse by the HDB wasting the progress that I worked hard/spent money on already, lol. Like a true addict, I'm doubling down on the game, if I just work smarter AND harder then I can get back some of that precious value that I lost. I don't completely regret it of course, I get to experience the lvl 85 content and have a lot more to do and work with. It's given me a lot of understanding, especially about how much there is still to learn and things I have yet to experience like the level grind or scavenging. Right now I am learning more about the guild and raid aspect of the game.

The game has a cool community too, lots of nerds with spreadsheets. I've been lurking in a number of different swgoh discords.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Welcome! If one of the discord's isn't the goon discord, you should jump in with us!

https://discord.gg/N562thWF

And if you haven't joined a guild, we'll get you on the (small) waiting list for Qui GoonJinn.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Brass posted:

I picked up this game a few months ago and I've been pretty hooked on it. The more I learn about the game, the more I realize all the mistakes I've been making. I had been playing for 2-3 months and had just 7 starred some of my Phoenix team while spending here and there. I was around level 50 when I decided to buy the HDB since I figured I was going to commit to playing more seriously. I had been worried that it would be too much and/or that I might lose interest afterwards. Well now I feel kinda stupid anyway with all the shards, exp, and gear progression I wasted. I've been diving deeper into the game since then, the HDB is definitely a lot. I've downloaded Bluestacks and created a few alts since then. I want to do a few hoard accounts, some long-term, some short term, mostly f2p but 1 that I want to buy HDB. I'm not averse to spending 10 bux, I just get off to a perception of value, and being efficient. There are a lot of various and interesting progression paths to take in this game that I want to check out myself to know more about them.

There is a lot to learn and I plan to continue being clumsy on my main, learning as I go. I have realized how I've been misallocating my resources - which again was made worse by the HDB wasting the progress that I worked hard/spent money on already, lol. Like a true addict, I'm doubling down on the game, if I just work smarter AND harder then I can get back some of that precious value that I lost. I don't completely regret it of course, I get to experience the lvl 85 content and have a lot more to do and work with. It's given me a lot of understanding, especially about how much there is still to learn and things I have yet to experience like the level grind or scavenging. Right now I am learning more about the guild and raid aspect of the game.

The game has a cool community too, lots of nerds with spreadsheets. I've been lurking in a number of different swgoh discords.

He our goon discord is very active and fun. We would be glad to have you

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Brass posted:

Just chiming in to say if you bought the hyperdrive bundle, dont abandon it. Just come to the goon cord and we'll get you sorted and on the road to top 10 arena

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Anyone who isn't in the goon guilds, be sure to come hang out in discord or join up!!

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010
We're in need of a new thread title (well, and new thread). The era of Thrawn is at its end

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Star Wars: Galaxy of Hockles memes

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
Hock needs to be a galactic legend imo

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
Him or gonk droid, whichever

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Malgrin posted:

We're in need of a new thread title (well, and new thread). The era of Thrawn is at its end

This is bullshit.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Do we know the details of the nerf yet? I've just heard people talking about it, but no specifics.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

thrawn527 posted:

Do we know the details of the nerf yet? I've just heard people talking about it, but no specifics.

Who's getting nerfed?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

mdemone posted:

Who's getting nerfed?

Apparently anyone who can counter GLs, but my post was specifically about Thrawn.

I've been seeing posts like this: https://www.reddit.com/r/SWGalaxyOfHeroes/comments/orxfzk/screw_zodiac_signs_who_is_your_favourite_non_gl/

Again though, I can't find details.

edit: Road ahead: https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/247334/road-ahead-july-2021

Apparently Vader is being nerfed by having Culling Blade do 40% less damage on all tiers. That's some bullshit.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jul 28, 2021

Dead on Arrival
Nov 4, 2008
Fracture will work like it does on Raid Bosses for Galactic Legends. Vader's culling blade is having its damage nerfed. GAS no longer ignores defense. Weapon tech is changing from WAT. A couple of others. But CAT instantly deleting a person is fine...lol.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Dead on Arrival posted:

Fracture will work like it does on Raid Bosses for Galactic Legends. Vader's culling blade is having its damage nerfed. GAS no longer ignores defense. Weapon tech is changing from WAT. A couple of others. But CAT instantly deleting a person is fine...lol.

Well that's not too bad, and I didn't use Thrawn against GLs anyway (my Empire team isn't really up to it). Most everything else for other characters seems pretty crazy, though.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jul 28, 2021

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Well I hope they wait to nerf CAT at least until after I unlock her in a couple weeks damnit.

newershadow
May 18, 2014
CAT seems to be their first attempt at a new second tier below Galactic Legends, and they've given no indication of nerfing her so far (but have mentioned publicly that they are considering improvements to her AI)

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

thrawn527 posted:

Well that's not too bad, and I didn't use Thrawn against GLs anyway (my Empire team isn't really up to it). Most everything else for other characters seems pretty crazy, though.

The non-Thrawn nerfs are mostly sensible;

The damage nerfs, I.e. to Wat and Vader are mostly about trying to make defense actually work as a stat again by eliminating the various ways to totally ignore armor. It doesn’t feel great, but it had to be done.

A bunch of sith empire stuff also got the “raid bosses and galactic legends” treatment, but also, most of it wasn’t stuff that was actually key to existing counters. At worst it closes off some potential SEE counters that people were thinking about because they buffed SEE to block the trooper counter to him.

Jedi Knight Luke, hilariously, also gets hit by both of these bats, but in both cases, in ways that are clearly buffs to him.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Glad to hear Sith Empire gets taken down a peg; they keep unreasonably beating my r8 GG+Wat squad just because of that loving "Deathmark on the enemy leader" ability.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Oh I love how the only teams i have that are effective at all are going to be completely nerfed. yay.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

mdemone posted:

Glad to hear Sith Empire gets taken down a peg; they keep unreasonably beating my r8 GG+Wat squad just because of that loving "Deathmark on the enemy leader" ability.

To be clear the Sith Empire changes literally only apply to how their abilities affect (or don’t) Galactic Legends.

The only changes that aren’t specifically and explicitly about how abilities interact with galactic legends are those to abilities that “ignore armor” and the various changes being made to compensate those characters for the removal of the ability to ignore armor. (Vader gets a big damage buff v raid bosses, More reliable/high crit chance, more reliable ability block, and a bit of prot regen to make him less fragile. GAS stands up faster after sitting down and always pops up at full prot, and gets some of his defense pen back when leading 501st. JKL gets some more baseline armor pen, does true damage to tanks, and his Jedi’s will buff adds way more offense and a bit of tenacity. Wat gets shafted.)

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

twistedmentat posted:

Oh I love how the only teams i have that are effective at all are going to be completely nerfed. yay.

The only teams that I would really describe as “completely nerfed” to a point of irrelevance would be Imperial Troopers vs. SEE and the various Vader + Thrawn counters to, primarily Rey.

The others, at worst, probably just need more gear to continue working.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

thrawn527 posted:

Apparently anyone who can counter GLs, but my post was specifically about Thrawn.

It's really any characters with an ability that has alternate application for raid bosses. Those abilities now apply the alternate effect when used on a galactic legend.

CaptainPsyko posted:

The only teams that I would really describe as “completely nerfed” to a point of irrelevance would be Imperial Troopers vs. SEE and the various Vader + Thrawn counters to, primarily Rey.

The others, at worst, probably just need more gear to continue working.

Also the Sith Empire counters to Rey.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jul 28, 2021

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Chilichimp posted:

Also the Sith Empire counters to Rey.

How so? Last I checked Rey doesn’t apply any meaningful debuffs (so the Corrupted Battle Meditation change doesn’t matter) and Rey isn’t a Sith (so the Malak change doesn’t matter - that latter is absolutely to prevent some dumb cheese like 4 imperial troopers + a 0 speed Malak vs. SEE)

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Like, just to get really into the weeds, I’m gonna go through these changes one by one and talk about impact:
Defense changes section
Vader: ignoring the Thrawn nerf (see below), this would actually be a net buff to Vader as a Rey counter tbh. He might need more gear on average to function, but the biggest problems running Vader are usually insufficient crit chance and ability block not landing against key supporting players like Finn. Making those two elements more reliable substantially eases the modding pressure on Vader and let’s him be much more damage focused and is probably a net win.

GAS: Again, this is mostly a damage nerf for him when running with Jedi teams, and damage nerfs are usually overcome by gear. Meanwhile, the buffs to 501st use meanwhile are really strong and we could maybe see a resurgence on defense. Also, low key, this is huge for LSTB.

JKL: this is a straight up buff and a big one probably.

Wat: This is a straight nerf, but also, probably needed to happen for the above mentioned reason. Would be nice to have something offsetting, but Wat is honestly busted good and the change doesn’t really alter how he’s used fundamentally, so… ehhhh.

Raid Bosses And Galactic Legends

Fallen Bastilla: Most sith v GL counters aren’t really dependent on CBM - it’s… unreliable at best, anyway, and most GL’s aren’t really dependent on applying resistable debuffs that CBM would prevent anyway. I guess it’s maybe bad for DR vs. SEE or something, but it doesn’t feel like this really changes the playing field much since any GL that was concerned with CBM has the tools to just murder Bastila in most cases.

Darth Malak This change literally only applies to Sith Eternal Emperor, and I guess Vader when he drops. In the case of the former, it’s protecting the buff they gave to SEE in the same set of notes. It might be closing off some theorycrafted future counter, but it’s certainly not impacting one anyone has invested in for the current state of the game.

GG: If you were using GG to beat GL’s and doing so because his health max reduction was a key part of his kit… well, hats off to you but also you’re full of poo poo.

General Skywalker: This one could be meaningful. The max health reduction, as with GG is whatever, but the lack of cooldown increase means that, for example, GAS is going to be very vulnerable to SLKR stuns after standing up from a meditation session, even if he does come up with full prot. This one actually affects people’s counters in a meaningful and harmful way.

Thrawn: :negative:

JKLS: This is a straight buff actually. GL’s are already immune to stun. Now instead of being stunned, Luke’s special just does big damage to them. Big win.

Moff Gideon: He’s much less of a plug and play superstar now. Gideon centered GL counters were floating around the fringes mostly based on this debuff, but they also never really caught on in a big way, so while there is impact, it’s at the edges of the meta mostly, and this recenters him back with empire units in a more meaningful way, so I’m not too mad.

C-3PO: this is a nerf, but not to something that I think anyone was really dependent on for a counter; triple stacks of confuse are hard to make stick on GL’s anyway, and keeping them there long enough to get meaningful cooldown increases wasn’t part of anyone’s counter play strategies so I don’t know how large the impact here really is.

Other Stuff

Rey: Very slight damage nerf to her WW below relic 7. Small buff at relic 8 and beyond. Whatever.

SEE: RIP countering SEE with Imperial troopers. Flat out.

newershadow
May 18, 2014
I believe you are massively underrating how much "ignore defense" from Jedi's Will plays into JKL's effectiveness and utility to the rest of his team. Post-changes, he'll have 290 defense penetration at relic 7, so an enemy's defense gets modified something along this chart:

High-end tanks like KRU and Fives can easily run upwards of 70% defense, so that boosted defense penetration gets you ~5% of your damage back. Additionally, *whatever ally gets Jedi's Will* gets nothing but the extra offense after the changes, so they have a net loss against most opponents. This also gets magnified when you run his lead and your team gets Jedi's Will from the mass assist - while before it would boost your entire team's damage by a significant amount (from the infinite defense penetration), now it falls flat. I'd guess this will probably make JMLS mirrors miserable, especially since you don't get to cheat and reduce max health; but also LS Geo battles with JKL lead are going to be slower/more dangerous, since droids tend to have a lot of armor.

The true damage (against non-GL Tanks) is nice, but I don't think non-JMLS tanks are enough of a problem that it will make a difference, especially when JKL's basic dispels them so you can go around.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

newershadow posted:

I believe you are massively underrating how much "ignore defense" from Jedi's Will plays into JKL's effectiveness and utility to the rest of his team. Post-changes, he'll have 290 defense penetration at relic 7, so an enemy's defense gets modified something along this chart:

High-end tanks like KRU and Fives can easily run upwards of 70% defense, so that boosted defense penetration gets you ~5% of your damage back. Additionally, *whatever ally gets Jedi's Will* gets nothing but the extra offense after the changes, so they have a net loss against most opponents. This also gets magnified when you run his lead and your team gets Jedi's Will from the mass assist - while before it would boost your entire team's damage by a significant amount (from the infinite defense penetration), now it falls flat. I'd guess this will probably make JMLS mirrors miserable, especially since you don't get to cheat and reduce max health; but also LS Geo battles with JKL lead are going to be slower/more dangerous, since droids tend to have a lot of armor.

The true damage (against non-GL Tanks) is nice, but I don't think non-JMLS tanks are enough of a problem that it will make a difference, especially when JKL's basic dispels them so you can go around.

Are you in the discord under a different name? You should come join us! We enjoy real-time theorycrafting!

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
The cooldown increase from GAS was already not a huge deal vs SLKR especially if it was full FO where everyone has advantage 90% of the time.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Anyone who isn't in the goon guilds, be sure to come hang out in discord or join up!!

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
No don't

Thorbeef
Jul 24, 2007
Keen to join qui goonjinn but I'm still very small in terms of GP. However, keen keen to get powered up, join up and do some good.

Have caught a snag with ships. Finding it real hard to progress in fleet battles. Here's my crappy profile - https://swgoh.gg/p/339511348/

Is it a case of just grinding and leveling up my ships/toons? Or am I using the wrong combo of ships?

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

supermegaultra posted:

Keen to join qui goonjinn but I'm still very small in terms of GP. However, keen keen to get powered up, join up and do some good.

Have caught a snag with ships. Finding it real hard to progress in fleet battles. Here's my crappy profile - https://swgoh.gg/p/339511348/

Is it a case of just grinding and leveling up my ships/toons? Or am I using the wrong combo of ships?

Bossk + his ship Hounds Tooth will help via tanking a bunch, but I didn't go Empire on my run, so I am not too familiar with the group you have.

If you'd like to join up, you'll have to leave your current guild and either send a request via game, or let me know.

Also, join Discord! We'll get you set up nice and proper -- https://discord.gg/RjNC7s7E

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

supermegaultra posted:

We don't care what your GP is for Qui GoonJinn, we'd love to have you!

Fleet rank of 178 isn't bad at all, honestly. As Hockles said, for your currently group, focus on building up Bossk and Hound's Tooth. He's a complete game changer at where you're at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thorbeef
Jul 24, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

We don't care what your GP is for Qui GoonJinn, we'd love to have you!

Fleet rank of 178 isn't bad at all, honestly. As Hockles said, for your currently group, focus on building up Bossk and Hound's Tooth. He's a complete game changer at where you're at.

Awesome! Have just joined in game. Have also changed my username here to reflect my game name. Hell it's been a long time coming tbh.

Will hammer the Bossk and HT nodes! Cheers dudes