Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

GimmickMan posted:

I once played in a short lived game where we had to save the world from a robot uprising courtesy of a hewlett packard ai malfunctioning and going hostile on all life.

"Saved" seems like a very strong term for stopping something that wouldn't even make it out of the factory before it crashed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

paragon1 posted:

One time in a past campaign my players were raiding a syndicate's stash house and found a safe. The party decker asked if the safe was wireless. I said "That's completely idiotic. What's the point of a wireless safe? It adds no functionality and opens up massive security holes. All a safe needs to be is a tough metal box with a combination lock on it.
Of course it's wireless. Roll Computer+Sleaze."

Have you seen LockpickingLawyer's channel? He has looked at lots of electronic/biometric locks and safes.
They are universally complete poo poo.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

GimmickMan posted:

I once played in a short lived game where we had to save the world from a robot uprising courtesy of a hewlett packard ai malfunctioning and going hostile on all life.

I'm assuming that the malfunction was whatever allowed it to actually do anything, since a deep and abiding hatred of all things organic is factory standard on all HP products.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I'm assuming that the malfunction was whatever allowed it to actually do anything, since a deep and abiding hatred of all things organic is factory standard on all HP products.

Share and Enjoy!

:awesomelon:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

The Lone Badger posted:

Have you seen LockpickingLawyer's channel? He has looked at lots of electronic/biometric locks and safes.
They are universally complete poo poo.

I like the one that just unlocked when you put a rare earth magnet near it

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

My favorite one is the one where he tried to get his wife into lockpicking by locking her Ben and Jerry's with one of their "Pint Locks" (which are apparently trivially easy to open by feel) and she just cut the bottom of the package.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Printer companies really fit in with the whole corporate dystopia theme of the game.

Imagine trying to print something in shadowrun. Utter hopeless despair. Unless you're a decker, technomancer or demolitions expert.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Paper's pretty dead in Shadowrun, for better or for worse. So thankfully very few people have to deal with an Ares-HP Deskjet All In One Armored Printer or a MCT-Canon Color Printer Defense Turret Combo Device. I'm not sure they even sell that last one; I think they just make them for their Zero Zones.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Which corporation is most likely to have an 'all in one combination fax, printer and autonomous turret' as a flagship product?
Because I could definitely see a machine that you can't actually smash with a baseball bat as a thing in the 6th world.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

By popular demand posted:

Which corporation is most likely to have an 'all in one combination fax, printer and autonomous turret' as a flagship product?
Because I could definitely see a machine that you can't actually smash with a baseball bat as a thing in the 6th world.

Probably one of the Japanese corps. In real life, Japanese corps still really loving love their fax machines.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Paper's pretty dead in Shadowrun, for better or for worse. So thankfully very few people have to deal with an Ares-HP Deskjet All In One Armored Printer or a MCT-Canon Color Printer Defense Turret Combo Device. I'm not sure they even sell that last one; I think they just make them for their Zero Zones.

It really only happened because a manager fell in love with the pun and demanded it be made to happen.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

And Aztech is sure to have at least looked into the possibility of a printer which sucks the blood out of a living person for ink.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

If that's what it takes to not deal with ink cartridges I'm all for it.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
A mere 0.1 essence for 250 full color pages? Sign me the gently caress up!

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Xerox Zones

TitanG
May 10, 2015

It seems that you got some story to tell friend and it will be a while until the next update so :justpost:

My therapist says HP and Epson are something out of a particularly bad trip or something I read on sup/tg/ as worst Shadowrun villains, not real and can't hurt me anymore.

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

And Aztech is sure to have at least looked into the possibility of a printer which sucks the blood out of a living person for ink.

it would certainly save on costs!

US medical system also is still surprisingly reliant on faxes, though depending on where you are electronic faxes are more of a thing, thankfully.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

By now it's time to admit that we will never be rid of fax machines, they won and humanity lost.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

By now it's time to admit that we will never be rid of fax machines, they won and humanity lost.
By popular demand is over here, spitting...

Facts. :c00lbert:

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

FWIW I have had dealings with military-grade printers before. No defense turrets fortunately/sadly. But the Ares-HP Deskjet All In One Armored Printer description is surprisingly apt.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
I was gonna say something like "of COURSE there's military grade printers" but thinking for a second it makes sense. Plugging some loving plastic box on a classified network, which immediately goes ballistic making GBS threads out icmp packets the moment it can't connect to the public internet, with who-knows-what hardware/firmware in it and a driver package that tries its best to install a norton antivirus trial by any means necessary, seems like a sub-optimal plan. And that's before you get to the fact that someone has probably already demonstrated an attack that lets you recover all text being printed using a pie pan, a raspberry pi, and a metal coat hanger from 15 miles away using the stray EM waves from the ink level sensor in the magenta cartridge. Then there's the actual intelligence agencies.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
military printers, like most military equipment, are huge ancient pieces of poo poo that break down constantly and are barely compatible with modern systems
luckily this also renders them immune to cyberattacks

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Even if you can convince the office drone manning it that you had access rights it would be too broken to abuse. Perfect security! Plus the grunt gets to laugh at the attackers misfortune/stupidity.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

StillFullyTerrible posted:

military printers, like most military equipment, are huge ancient pieces of poo poo that break down constantly and are barely compatible with modern systems
luckily this also renders them immune to cyberattacks

Plus you can ship one to a forward base in the back of a truck over two hundred miles of bad road and it won't be any worse when it gets there. It won't be good mind you, but it won't be any worse.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I recall a legend about a deleted scene from one of the Terminator movies where they break into Skynet's core and find... drum roll... an HP printer hooked up to a drum of ink.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

achtungnight posted:

I recall a legend about a deleted scene from one of the Terminator movies where they break into Skynet's core and find... drum roll... an HP printer hooked up to a drum of ink.

DUN DUN DUN DUH-DUN
P C LOAD LET-TER

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

I was gonna say something like "of COURSE there's military grade printers" but thinking for a second it makes sense. Plugging some loving plastic box on a classified network, which immediately goes ballistic making GBS threads out icmp packets the moment it can't connect to the public internet, with who-knows-what hardware/firmware in it and a driver package that tries its best to install a norton antivirus trial by any means necessary, seems like a sub-optimal plan. And that's before you get to the fact that someone has probably already demonstrated an attack that lets you recover all text being printed using a pie pan, a raspberry pi, and a metal coat hanger from 15 miles away using the stray EM waves from the ink level sensor in the magenta cartridge. Then there's the actual intelligence agencies.

So, sadly the ones I toughed weren't that developed. They were HP printers (from back when HP printers were the most durable) with a more robust power supply, the plastic casing pulled off, and everything stuck in a properly Milspec-grade box and painted military green. No network to connect to (or not anything that'd be recognizable to non-specialized malware) at least. My involvement was sending a regular patch disk/reimaging disk for all the s/w, because there was no internet at all touching these. So I was able to keep the bloat down too.

Probably there was a built from scratch for the military printer around somewhere, but I never saw that. Wouldn't want to see the price tag on it, for sure.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

idhrendur posted:

So, sadly the ones I toughed weren't that developed. They were HP printers (from back when HP printers were the most durable) with a more robust power supply, the plastic casing pulled off, and everything stuck in a properly Milspec-grade box and painted military green. No network to connect to (or not anything that'd be recognizable to non-specialized malware) at least. My involvement was sending a regular patch disk/reimaging disk for all the s/w, because there was no internet at all touching these. So I was able to keep the bloat down too.

Probably there was a built from scratch for the military printer around somewhere, but I never saw that. Wouldn't want to see the price tag on it, for sure.

lol like they would build it from scratch. They would just do what you did - replace the plastic case with a milspec case and charge $100,000 for it.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Lechtansi posted:

lol like they would build it from scratch. They would just do what you did - replace the plastic case with a milspec case and charge $100,000 for it.

That's outdated thinking. Now they charge $100/page and if it runs out of paper you have to fly in a company technician (at $2000 / hr).

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

idhrendur posted:

Having watched The Pentagon Wars ; I'm not entirely convinced the Mk.1b Advanced Tactical Combat Printer would necessarily be free of idiotic bells & whistles ; design choices somebody must have been either high on ethanol fumes or in the throes of a deep nihilistic depression to make ; fiddly bits that break when looked at in a slightly mean way (causing the entire machine to violently implode) ; or that it would, in fact, be able to generate physical paper-and-ink-based documents at all.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

FoolyCharged posted:

Even if you can convince the office drone manning it that you had access rights it would be too broken to abuse. Perfect security! Plus the grunt gets to laugh at the attackers misfortune/stupidity.

"Hey Tommy come check this out, an attacker is trying to use the printer to gain access"
"-The printer we spent two years attempting to properly connect before we gave up and just use the usb drive to print from?"
"Yup. I figure I'd let them waste a couple more hours before I terminate their connection"
"-You're all heart"

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax

Kobal2 posted:

Having watched The Pentagon Wars ; I'm not entirely convinced the Mk.1b Advanced Tactical Combat Printer would necessarily be free of idiotic bells & whistles ; design choices somebody must have been either high on ethanol fumes or in the throes of a deep nihilistic depression to make ; fiddly bits that break when looked at in a slightly mean way (causing the entire machine to violently implode) ; or that it would, in fact, be able to generate physical paper-and-ink-based documents at all.

nah my dude, that's how boondoggle stuff works. for regular equipment obsolete, durable, and beaten up is military grade.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

The Pentagon Wars is not a particularly accurate movie. Of course a Bradley won't withstand getting hit by an AT weapon, they're meant to kill much heavier targets. Of course it's going to have a lot of development issues, all new vehicles do and the IFV is a new concept in the army at the time.

Later in its life, in the real world, the Bradley performed well against contemporary opponents. What more do you want out of a piece of equipment?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

wiegieman posted:

Later in its life, in the real world, the Bradley performed well against contemporary opponents. What more do you want out of a piece of equipment?
Yeah, and the M-16 is a perfectly fine weapon, if you're picking it up in the 21st century.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Speaking of military boondoggle getting fixed, is the f-35 capable of flight yet?

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

"Hey Tommy come check this out, an attacker is trying to use the printer to gain access"
"-The printer we spent two years attempting to properly connect before we gave up and just use the usb drive to print from?"
"Yup. I figure I'd let them waste a couple more hours before I terminate their connection"
"-You're all heart"

That's some real "Vetinari leaving a spoon and weak mortar for prisoners to have something to do" energy.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Xander77 posted:

Yeah, and the M-16 is a perfectly fine weapon, if you're picking it up in the 21st century.

It was good when it was introduced, too - when you put the right ammo through it. Yeah, m16s have problems when you don't properly gas them, film at eleven.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

FoolyCharged posted:

Speaking of military boondoggle getting fixed, is the f-35 capable of flight yet?
If you involve a catapult and use a very broad definition of "flight", sure. But is it really made to actually fly missions? Isn't it more the grand daddy of grift projects?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Poil posted:

If you involve a catapult and use a very broad definition of "flight", sure. But is it really made to actually fly missions? Isn't it more the grand daddy of grift projects?

Nah. In all seriousness it's actually working fine as a plane now. Yes, it was a huge and very successful grift project. But as a plane it's also been basically successful and is now operational, it just hasn't seen much use yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

FoolyCharged posted:

The F-35 is a cromulent 5th gen strike fighter. And there's all of three other 5th gen aircraft in service right now. Hideously expensive and a classic boondoggle? Yes. But there's a reason why the Swiss are gonna buy a ton of them over the Eurofighter or other Gen 4.5 airframes. Likewise, the F-22 is a truly amazing air superiority platform, but even more hideously expensive and an even more classic boondoggle.