Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Hahaha they put Kevin Sorbo on there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/DeanTrantalis/status/1412563013383737344

Bugs Bunny drilling holes under Florida until it detaches into the sea

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Hahahhahahhahahahahhahahhahahhaa holy loving poo poo the amount of sinkholes that loving poo poo is gonna cause.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
From The Soufan Group:

U.S. – IRAN PROXY WAR IN IRAQ ESCALATES
Bottom Line Up Front:

The Biden administration is escalating deterrent U.S. attacks on Iran-backed Iraqi militias, risking an expanded and protracted U.S.-Iran conflict.

The Biden administration’s policy is similar to the Trump administration’s approach in subordinating Iraq policy to a broader effort to roll back Iran’s regional influence. 

The Iraqi government is failing in its efforts to rein in Iran-backed militias that operate outside the Iraqi command structure. 

Iran is arming its allies with increasingly sophisticated drones and rocket technology that pose a significant threat to U.S. and coalition forces in Iraq.

A United States-Iran proxy conflict inside Iraq appears to be escalating, approaching levels last seen in 2019 during the height of the implementation of the Trump administration’s “maximum pressure” strategy against Iran. 

On June 28, U.S. President Joseph Biden authorized airstrikes against three targets straddling the Iraq-Syria border, including two inside Syria and one inside Iraq. U.S. military officials said the sites bombed were linked to earlier drone attacks on U.S. forces in Iraq, launched by the Iran-backed militia groups Kata’ib Hezbollah and Kata’ib Sayyid al-Shuhada. Iran sponsors several such militia groups as part of its effort to shore up the embattled regime of President Bashar Al Assad. The Iran-backed militia groups said that four of their members were killed in the June 28 attacks. In retaliation, American troops patrolling northeast Syria—as part of the ongoing U.S. effort against the so-called Islamic State (ISIS)—came under rocket fire from Iran-backed groups operating in that country, prompting U.S. forces in Syria to respond with artillery fire against the rocket launching positions. The combat, near eastern Syria’s al-Omar oil field, did not result in any U.S. injuries. 

Since President Biden took office, Iran-backed Iraqi militias have attacked U.S. forces and personnel in Iraq with at least five armed drone strikes and as many as twenty-four rocket and missile volleys. Press reports indicate that the drones Iran is supplying to its allies in Iraq are increasingly sophisticated, homing in on their targets with preset GPS coordinates—an advance over the remotely-controlled and less effective drones Iran has supplied in prior years. On July 5, hours after rockets launched by Iran-backed militias fired on Iraq’s Ayn al-Asad base where U.S. forces operate, the United States shot down one of these drones as it tried to attack the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad. The following evening, July 6, another attempted drone attack occurred, this time targeting Erbil airport, though Coalition authorities reported no casualties or damage.  Nevertheless, three separate attacks over the course of 36 hours is a clear indication of an increase in operational tempo on the part of the militias. 

The June 28 U.S. strikes appear to represent a departure by the Biden administration from its early positions as well as from those of the Trump administration. The June strike differed from a similar incident in February, in which U.S. aircraft struck Iran-backed Iraqi militia targets over the border in Syria, where they maintain weapons depots and other facilities. That attack avoided striking inside Iraq in order not to complicate Iraqi Prime Minister Mustafa al-Kadhimi’s efforts to balance Iraq’s relations with the United States with those of neighboring Iran. Following the June 28 strike, U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken said that President Biden is “fully prepared to act and act appropriately and deliberately to protect U.S. interests,” if Iran-backed militia continue to attack American forces in the region. This stance contrasts with that of the Trump administration, which retaliated against Iran-backed forces only if their attacks caused loss of life.  

On the other hand, the Biden administration stance continues a different aspect of Trump administration strategy: subordinating Iraq policy to the overall U.S. battle with Iran for regional influence. The U.S. strike inside Iraq went ahead despite its potential to complicate Prime Minister al-Kadhimi’s attempts to limit the influence and autonomy of Iranian proxies in Iraq. A spokesman for Kadhimi criticized the U.S. strike inside Iraq as “a blatant and unacceptable violation of Iraqi sovereignty and Iraqi national security.” Indicative of the degree to which Kadhimi has thus far failed to reduce the influence of Iran and its proxies in Iraq, he attended a June military parade by Shia militia forces, including Iran-backed groups, at a base in the east of the country. In recent months, armed militia maneuvers intimidated Kadhimi to release militia commanders who were arrested in connection with abuses against Iraqi human rights and political activists. Reining in the militias is likely to form a pivotal component of discussions between President Biden and Kadhimi when the prime minister visits Washington in late July.

The challenge for the Biden administration is to deter additional Iran-backed attacks without producing a protracted and expanded conflict with Iran that could potentially spill over into other parts of the region and involve U.S. allies. U.S.-Iran clashes during the Trump administration included Iranian attacks on and seizures of international shipping in the Persian Gulf, including tankers owned by the Gulf Arab monarchies. An expanded U.S.-Iran conflict could derail talks in Vienna toward a mutual U.S. and Iranian return to full compliance with the 2015 multilateral Iran nuclear agreement. Iran might opt to try to retaliate against the U.S. and its allies through terrorist attacks in the region, in Europe, or elsewhere.

Any prolonged U.S.-Iran conflict is almost certain to derail the Administration’s efforts to refocus U.S. military resources to threats posed by other great powers like Russia and China. Escalating clashes with Iran could also bring the Administration into a confrontation with the U.S. Congress over presidential authority to take military action without specific congressional authorization.  

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Eej posted:

https://twitter.com/DeanTrantalis/status/1412563013383737344

Bugs Bunny drilling holes under Florida until it detaches into the sea

JUST BUILD TRAINS

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
And we've got an assassination! Was weird and unconfirmed for a while, but it's AP-confirmed.

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1412721501997080578?s=19

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Jul 7, 2021

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
https://www.defenseone.com/technology/2021/07/how-jedis-ghost-will-bring-bitter-rivals-together/183109/

JEDI scrapped, DoD to request proposals for Microsoft and AWS separately.

My theory has been: DoD wanted SharePoint, Office, and Power Apps, but wrote a proposal super vague for 'cloud services' so they could spend the money on whatever other services they wanted via Azure. While business apps that Microsoft already had met 80% of the DoDs needs and they knew going the Amazon or Google routes would require additional development and or implementation risks, since those platforms need independent software solutions to meet those 80% of specific needs, they never articulated it. So Amazon uses Trump's influence to kill the contract while the officials in charge of procurement turned over failing to achieve their legacies of a unified Outlook calendar for the DoD.

Does anybody know if the original JEDI proposal is publicly available yet?

piL fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jul 7, 2021

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

piL posted:

https://www.defenseone.com/technology/2021/07/how-jedis-ghost-will-bring-bitter-rivals-together/183109/

JEDI scrapped, DoD to request proposals for Microsoft and AWS separately.

My theory has been: DoD wanted SharePoint, Office, and Power Apps, but wrote a proposal super vague for 'cloud services' so they could spend the money on whatever other services they wanted via Azure. While business apps that Microsoft already had met 80% of the DoDs needs and they knew going the Amazon or Google routes would require additional development and or implementation risks, since those platforms need independent software solutions to meet those 80% of specific needs, they never articulated it. So Amazon uses Trump's influence to kill the contract while the officials in charge of procurement turned over failing to achieve their legacies of a unified Outlook calendar for the DoD.

Does anybody know if the original JEDI proposal is publicly available yet?

This makes sense. I figured they needed way less space with the Afghan pull out and scrapped the project so they could draw up a proposal/request that was scoped correctly.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Possibly dubious sourcing so take with grain of salt but lmao

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/jul/06/donald-trump-hitler-michael-bender-book

quote:

On a visit to Europe to mark the 100th anniversary of the end of the first world war, Donald Trump insisted to his then chief of staff, John Kelly: “Well, Hitler did a lot of good things.”

The remark from the former US president on the 2018 trip, which reportedly “stunned” Kelly, a retired US Marine Corps general, is reported in a new book by Michael Bender of the Wall Street Journal.

Frankly, We Did Win This Election has been widely trailed ahead of publication next week. The Guardian obtained a copy.

Bender reports that Trump made the remark during an impromptu history lesson in which Kelly “reminded the president which countries were on which side during the conflict” and “connected the dots from the first world war to the second world war and all of Hitler’s atrocities”.

Bender is one of a number of authors to have interviewed Trump since he was ejected from power.

He reports that Trump denied making the remark about Hitler.

But Bender says unnamed sources reported that Kelly “told the president that he was wrong, but Trump was undeterred”, emphasizing German economic recovery under Hitler during the 1930s.

“Kelly pushed back again,” Bender writes, “and argued that the German people would have been better off poor than subjected to the Nazi genocide.”

Bender adds that Kelly told Trump that even if his claim about the German economy under the Nazis after 1933 were true, “you cannot ever say anything supportive of Adolf Hitler. You just can’t.”

Trump ran into considerable trouble on the centennial trip to Europe, even beyond his usual conflicts with other world leaders.

A decision to cancel a visit to an American cemetery proved controversial. Trump was later reported to have called American soldiers who died in the war “losers” and “suckers”.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I’m so loving glad, every day, to not have to give a poo poo about that gently caress on a daily basis because he might say or do the dumbest possible thing as President.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Same. I had a realization a little bit after inauguration that I now have no loving idea what the president is doing/saying on a daily basis unless I really seek it out, and that is just fine with me.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
we're back to quiet, polite facism.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I am conflicted.

Do I want us out of Afghanistan? Absolutely.

But weirdly, the way we just left Bagram in the middle of the night just makes it even more clear how much of an utter waste my time in the military was.

I guess I got free school out of it? Something I think everyone should get anyway?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

boop the snoot posted:

I am conflicted.

But weirdly, the way we just left Bagram in the middle of the night just makes it even more clear how much of an utter waste my time in the military was.

I guess I got free school out of it? Something I think everyone should get anyway?

That's my feeling too. Nothing was gained, it was all just a wasteful practice in throwing money at the military industrial complex, and we're back where we started.

I always kind of assumed that was what would happen, but to see it first hand is....disheartening.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

boop the snoot posted:

I am conflicted.

We peaced out quietly because if we told the Afghan army we were leaving at 2200 on this day guess how many rockets and VBIEDs would somehow magically be waving us goodbye

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

GD_American posted:

We peaced out quietly because if we told the Afghan army we were leaving at 2200 on this day guess how many rockets and VBIEDs would somehow magically be waving us goodbye

After I made my post I quickly had the realization that no matter what we did, it was always going to highlight just how much of a waste everything was.

Every now and then there’s a big reminder. This is just the current one.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I shouldn't be surprised, but it's still shocking to me how much a nothing the government we propped up for 20 years actually is.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

the taliban deserve death, but the ANA and the afghan government are so incompetent that they deserve everything that's coming for them. If the Karzai family ends up wholly dismantled I will not consider my time to have been a waste.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working
https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys/status/1250509869586812928

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKHPTHx0ScQ&t=108s

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Best Friends posted:

I shouldn't be surprised, but it's still shocking to me how much a nothing the government we propped up for 20 years actually is.

It's almost as if we're entirely incapable of conducting nation building.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Stultus Maximus posted:

Kinda hard to build a nation when poo poo running like it does in the US is your ideal

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
Wrong thread.

MRLOLAST fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jul 7, 2021

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

MRLOLAST posted:

Going to Costa Blanca tomorrow and god do I hope the English lose. It's going to be unbearable otherwise with the million Britts there if they make the final.
Ingerland , tatooed grannies with bad theet, crisps, beer , chips and Oasis karaoke everywhere.

Oi making me nostalgic for the fens and the hooligans of the Queen's overcast isle. It was the 2010 World Cup and I was American in rural Britland, took my buddy to a pub to witness frothing football in person. It was the American Britain game and everything was all volleyball and ice cream because the score was Britland 1 America 0 until late late in the game. At the final hour there was a penalty shot or some poo poo, I couldn't understand but the score went 1-1. I told my buddy "we got to go" and when he asked why he got punched by the dude 3 stools down the bar and we had to start running.

10/10 nostaliga would be 20 in England again

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

We were dumb for trying to nation build without going all the way. We would have needed to assume direct control of every element of their government, military, civil service, industry, and education system. Only after an entire generation had grown up and gone through a functioning civil service and educational system could we start a 20 year phasing out program where we replace americans with afghans starting from the bottom up.

Now I'm not saying we SHOULD have done that. We should have just let socom treat it like a six month field exercise and then gone home.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

KirbyKhan posted:

Oi making me nostalgic for the fens and the hooligans of the Queen's overcast isle. It was the 2010 World Cup and I was American in rural Britland, took my buddy to a pub to witness frothing football in person. It was the American Britain game and everything was all volleyball and ice cream because the score was Britland 1 America 0 until late late in the game. At the final hour there was a penalty shot or some poo poo, I couldn't understand but the score went 1-1. I told my buddy "we got to go" and when he asked why he got punched by the dude 3 stools down the bar and we had to start running.

10/10 nostaliga would be 20 in England again

Lol that's great. In the early 2010s in Seattle when the Seahawks got good the hooligan bandwagoning was weird. They kept attacking fans in opposing team jerseys even when it made no sense, like a Vikings fan after a game the Seahawks won, or a Jaguars fan when they weren't even playing Jacksonville.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

boop the snoot posted:

I am conflicted.

Yeah war is loving stupid

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
They only thing the WWII vet in my family ever said about war -- he didn't talk about it -- was that "war is waste".

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I feel for you guys going through this with the withdrawal. I can empathize because of Iraq. It sucks.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

PeterCat fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jul 7, 2021

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

PookBear posted:

We were dumb for trying to nation build without going all the way. We would have needed to assume direct control of every element of their government, military, civil service, industry, and education system. Only after an entire generation had grown up and gone through a functioning civil service and educational system could we start a 20 year phasing out program where we replace americans with afghans starting from the bottom up.

Now I'm not saying we SHOULD have done that. We should have just let socom treat it like a six month field exercise and then gone home.

You get out what you put in to an equation. Afghanistan was only ever a vehicle for war profiteers. Something got blown up? Cool, we can rebuild it shoddily and charge a fortune for doing it haphazardly. It's just gonna get blown up again anyway, and then we'll rebuild it even shittier.

Again, in an ideal world there would've been a leaflet drop offering asylum and resettlement support for Afghan *women* who are going to experience a Hell beyond words now.

And ultimately, we've just sown the seeds of the next Forever War on Terror by wholesale betraying those who believed in us. All according to plan. America must always cultivate brown boogeymen for future conflicts. Like making a deposit in the bank. =/

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The tragic truth is that the war in Afghanistan was pointless from the start. 9/11 wasn't perpetrated by the Taliban. It was funded by the Saudi royal family, organized and executed by Saudi militants who hid in Pakistan for the next years until finally being caught. We should have never been there in the first place. All of the killing, the destruction, the lives lost, etc. were all just so that rich people could make some money.

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

The tragic truth is that the war in Afghanistan was pointless from the start. 9/11 wasn't perpetrated by the Taliban. It was funded by the Saudi royal family, organized and executed by Saudi militants who hid in Pakistan for the next years until finally being caught. We should have never been there in the first place. All of the killing, the destruction, the lives lost, etc. were all just so that rich people could make some money.

1 country east, 1 country south

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Mr. Nice! posted:

. We should have never been there in the first place. All of the killing, the destruction, the lives lost, etc. were all just so that rich people could make some money.

And my god, they didn't even do it to GET rich, they were already rich.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

The Eyes Have It posted:

They only thing the WWII vet in my family ever said about war -- he didn't talk about it -- was that "war is waste".

Hearing idiot chuds going on about how it's always good for the economy and jerking off about it giving young men meaning coincidentally makes violence look more appealing to me

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Hey, remember when Biden canceled the state of emergency at the border and canceled future National Guard deployments to the border?

They're back on the menu, that is the National Guard is going, paid for by active duty money, though the press release won't be for a few weeks, if ever.

I guess they can spend all the money they're saving on Afghanistan to pay for troops on the border.

This is different than the SD ARNG going on State Active Duty, this is Title 10 Regular Army active duty.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Feel-good court order recap right here:

https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1412873176527343618

At a minimum, they're going to get screamed at from the bench. And they're pissing off the judge just enough to make the judge actually give a drat about pursuing sanctions.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

https://twitter.com/AuroraIntel/status/1412865526691414016?s=20

oh, UAE, you hosed up the entire slate of OPEC+ talks last week and wasted everyone's time?

nice oil tanker you got there, be a shame if something happened to it

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

facialimpediment posted:

Feel-good court order recap right here:

https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1412873176527343618

At a minimum, they're going to get screamed at from the bench. And they're pissing off the judge just enough to make the judge actually give a drat about pursuing sanctions.

Is counsel like, the one lawyer to rule them all or something? I thought this already was to demand all the counsel show up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

CainFortea posted:

Is counsel like, the one lawyer to rule them all or something? I thought this already was to demand all the counsel show up.

The judge said "everyone who signed the kraken filing will appear either in person or on zoom." All of the lawyers hired another lawyer to represent them and asked the judge if they still had to personally show up or if their lawyer could handle the hearing for them. The judge replied "did I loving stutter?"