Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

What is the UWF ruleset? I know what it is in general but not the specifics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

TTBF posted:

What is the UWF ruleset? I know what it is in general but not the specifics.

The main thing is you lose a point for a knock down or rope break or foul and you only have 5 points and if you lose them that's loss. Wins are either KO, submission or points, if it goes to the time-limit then whoever has the most points left wins.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Why did Chris Benoit have an extra patch of contrasting colour tights sewn into his crotch? I've never seen it before or since. Benoit even does it later years when his tights were the same colour (purple on purple, yellow on yellow).

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Why did Chris Benoit have an extra patch of contrasting colour tights sewn into his crotch? I've never seen it before or since. Benoit even does it later years when his tights were the same colour (purple on purple, yellow on yellow).

reinforcement for his powerful dong

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Kosmo Gallion posted:

He was insane OP

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Baby, let me show you my enclosed pool area...

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Saddle pants

He was a horseman

Wait what the gently caress is that actually it?

smikey
May 22, 2004
It's not a hootenanny, it's an extravsganza!

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

Saddle pants

He was a horseman

Wait what the gently caress is that actually it?

Jodhpurs

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I always assumed it was some kind of reinforcement to avoid the crotch of your tights ripping. Surely other people have had this style of tights before? I know Triple H did, but that went with his whole gimmick of being a snob and having his tights look like horse riding pants.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
He was mentioned a few pages back, but a question about Kurrgan which probably has a very simple answer. I was rewatching Survivor Series 1997 and he was put over strong in the Truth Commission/DOA match. A few months later, he's a giant dancing goofball with no future to speak of. Is it as simple as "Vince lost interest in him" or "Vince saw him dance once and loved it so that's your gimmick now pal"?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

CVagts posted:

He was mentioned a few pages back, but a question about Kurrgan which probably has a very simple answer. I was rewatching Survivor Series 1997 and he was put over strong in the Truth Commission/DOA match. A few months later, he's a giant dancing goofball with no future to speak of. Is it as simple as "Vince lost interest in him" or "Vince saw him dance once and loved it so that's your gimmick now pal"?

vince saw him dance at someone's wedding, specifically

i forget who it was, maybe mick foley, who said in his book he told kurrgan "buddy if you go out on that dancefloor with your wife, and vince sees you, that's your gimmick from here to eternity"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Alaois posted:

vince saw him dance at someone's wedding, specifically

i forget who it was, maybe mick foley, who said in his book he told kurrgan "buddy if you go out on that dancefloor with your wife, and vince sees you, that's your gimmick from here to eternity"

I think it was Don Callis who told him that

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Never have a dancing gimmick. You will, at best, get stuck tag-teaming with Disco Inferno.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Isn't there a thing where some guys wear trunks over full length tights (think Superman) so it's easier to hold them for suplexes and such?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Halloween Jack posted:

Never have a dancing gimmick. You will, at best, get stuck tag-teaming with Disco Inferno.

Natural Vibes is good, actually

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Halloween Jack posted:

I remember the story Don Callis tells that he was out with Kurgan and Vince at some function or other and Kurgan was there with his wife and naturally wanted to dance with his wife and Don very, very fervently tried to talk him out of it and sure enough, Dancin' Kurgan not too long after.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jul 8, 2021

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Only people I can think of who benefited from a dancing gimmick are Too Cool and Michael p.s. Hayes, and with Hayes the moonwalking thing was a small part of his overall shtick

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jul 8, 2021

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Imagine being at work and your boss happens to pass by as you're singing a little tune and he likes it so he tells you that you'll have to do that every day from now on or you're fired.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

When someone asks about solid, safe, and reliable hands in the ring, a few names come to mind; Chris Jericho, Bret Hart, Ric Flair, etc.

Have any of them, or any other generally safe wrestler, ever botched so badly they injured someone else or ruined a match? I feel like every botch I've heard involving Bret was either injuring himself or it was the other person's fault.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Flair botched four marriages.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Well sure he also can't wrestle his way out of debt either but we'll be here all day trying to tabulate that.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Admiral Joeslop posted:

When someone asks about solid, safe, and reliable hands in the ring, a few names come to mind; Chris Jericho, Bret Hart, Ric Flair, etc.

Have any of them, or any other generally safe wrestler, ever botched so badly they injured someone else or ruined a match? I feel like every botch I've heard involving Bret was either injuring himself or it was the other person's fault.

Samoa Joe is extremely reliable but almost killed TJ Wilson/Tyson Kidd

Jericho also accidentally stiffed Chyna and pissed off WWE so bad Vince demanded he go over his matches with X Pac until he earned his trust back

Owen was safe as milk until the Austin incident

D'Lo isn't on the level of Bret but was the definition of safe & reliable, but a freak accident paralyzed Droz and I think it killed D'Lo's career

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jul 8, 2021

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Kane had a rep as being very safe. Heath Slater was also super safe.

CHIVERS
Apr 28, 2004

c'est quand meme la honte
When was the first major exposé on the worked aspect of wrestling? How did it impact the business? Also, I remember reading somewhere that a New York paper put out an exposé that basically killed the wrestling business in NYC for a quite a long time. Is there any way to access that article?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

CHIVERS posted:

When was the first major exposé on the worked aspect of wrestling? How did it impact the business? Also, I remember reading somewhere that a New York paper put out an exposé that basically killed the wrestling business in NYC for a quite a long time. Is there any way to access that article?

Wrestling was banned in Paris in the 1860s due to being fixed.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Samoa Joe is extremely reliable but almost killed TJ Wilson/Tyson Kidd

Jericho also accidentally stiffed Chyna and pissed off WWE so bad Vince demanded he go over his matches with X Pac until he earned his trust back

Owen was safe as milk until the Austin incident

D'Lo isn't on the level of Bret but was the definition of safe & reliable, but a freak accident paralyzed Droz and I think it killed D'Lo's career

It takes two (or more) to do these things, and everyone involved could be a supremely safe worker and work amazing matches, but things still do go wrong. Wrestling is never going to be "safe".

"Freak Accident" is the word, Droz even said "I have no hard feelings toward D’Lo because poo poo happens and everyone who gets involved in athletics, including WWE, knows the risks that exist. It was an accident.".

https://prowrestlingstories.com/pro-wrestling-stories/droz-dlo-brown-injury/

It didn't kill his career, so much as changed him on a fundamental level.

BooDooBoo fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jul 8, 2021

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

BooDooBoo posted:

It takes two (or more) to do these things, and everyone involved could be a supremely safe worker and work amazing matches, but things still do go wrong. Wrestling is never going to be "safe".

"Freak Accident" is the word, Droz even said "I have no hard feelings toward D’Lo because poo poo happens and everyone who gets involved in athletics, including WWE, knows the risks that exist. It was an accident.".

https://prowrestlingstories.com/pro-wrestling-stories/droz-dlo-brown-injury/

It didn't kill his career, so much as changed him on a fundamental level.

I in no way blame D'Lo (or any of these folks except Owen for ignoring Steve's wishes wrt the style of piledriver to be used), but I do think any chance of a push went out the window the night that the injury went down. Droz is a good guy for taking everything in stride.

I don't think it's fair, but I think him being black and not gassed to the gills were working against him already and it was the final nail.

If he disagrees, that's fine, he has more of an inside track, obviously. But personally I tend to think that it hurt him on the long run with Vince, specifically.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jul 8, 2021

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

He also potatoed nitro girl Whisper by accident, which caused heat with HBK who apparently carried on like a huge baby about it even though he had definitely been in the business long enough to know that sometimes it happens and a fat lip is not a big deal in any way.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i think it's fine to get pissed when your wife gets punched after you probably assured her its totally safe

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

I don't think it's fair, but I think him being black and not gassed to the gills were working against him already and it was the final nail.

Russo leaving at around the same time might have had an impact too I think. He seemed to be a big champion of D'Lo and Jarrett for some reason.

CHIVERS
Apr 28, 2004

c'est quand meme la honte

MassRafTer posted:

Wrestling was banned in Paris in the 1860s due to being fixed.

Wow. Knowing that, I wonder if Abe Lincoln worked heel or face?

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

CHIVERS posted:

Wow. Knowing that, I wonder if Abe Lincoln worked heel or face?

https://allthatsinteresting.com/abraham-lincoln-wrestling

Fought off local bullies
Almost was on the receiving end of a group beat-down
Nearly undefeated

I'd say he was a face.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

titties posted:

He also potatoed nitro girl Whisper by accident, which caused heat with HBK who apparently carried on like a huge baby about it even though he had definitely been in the business long enough to know that sometimes it happens and a fat lip is not a big deal in any way.

TIL that Shawn married a Nitro Girl. Now I'm super curious about the politics around that, if there were any. I always figured Shawn didn't settle down until he was off drugs, though I guess he didn't really settle much.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Admiral Joeslop posted:

TIL that Shawn married a Nitro Girl. Now I'm super curious about the politics around that, if there were any. I always figured Shawn didn't settle down until he was off drugs, though I guess he didn't really settle much.

IIRC she was retired by then?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I in no way blame D'Lo (or any of these folks except Owen for ignoring Steve's wishes wrt the style of piledriver to be used), but I do think any chance of a push went out the window the night that the injury went down. Droz is a good guy for taking everything in stride.

Better than I have talked about it, but I still recall how even to me who knows less than nothing about to actually wrestle Owen's set up for the piledriver didn't look right. Like Austin's head was way too far down.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

If I recall correctly, it was Whisper who helped him get cleaned up.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Better than I have talked about it, but I still recall how even to me who knows less than nothing about to actually wrestle Owen's set up for the piledriver didn't look right. Like Austin's head was way too far down.

Austin specifically asked Owen not to do it like that, and it might have been that Steve didn't know how to take it.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Austin specifically asked Owen not to do it like that, and it might have been that Steve didn't know how to take it.

I don't know how you'd take that. His head was way too low and he couldn't bend his neck.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

1glitch0 posted:

I don't know how you'd take that. His head was way too low and he couldn't bend his neck.

yeah, that was all on Owen.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
If you're taking a crotch-facing piledriver, it has to be a tombstone. If you're facing out, you can take the sitout version. The way I remember Austin telling it was that he told Owen not to sitout, but he did it anyway.

I wonder more why they didn't call an audible for the ending though. Having Austin pin him anyway after that looked silly, and could've made his injury worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bartok
May 10, 2006

sticklefifer posted:

If you're taking a crotch-facing piledriver, it has to be a tombstone. If you're facing out, you can take the sitout version. The way I remember Austin telling it was that he told Owen not to sitout, but he did it anyway.

I wonder more why they didn't call an audible for the ending though. Having Austin pin him anyway after that looked silly, and could've made his injury worse.

I believe if Austin lost he had to kiss Owen's rear end. Still should have just called it a no contest or just ignored the stipulation.