Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Let's rejigger that framing:

Like, IDK what the Amazon LOTR series will actually be, but there's not really a good track record of LOTR properties that are not 2001-2003 Peter Jackson LOTR trilogy. It'll be Expanded Universe that nobody actually cares about, plucked from backstory that vanishingly few people actually read. Even if it's based largely in part from curated notes, it's not like Chris Tolkien's wretched works actually get a lot of eyeballs.

Comparatively, people actually bought and read WoT books in large numbers (can't compete against 50 years of Frodo Sam and Gandalf, but neither can whatever fanfic Amazon writers thought up).

----

Now, as far as dragons are concerned, there are actually wyvern-like creatures as soon as TGH. Raken and to'raken (pronounced as closely to dragons as you can get without just calling them dragons) are giant flying lizards that are described as dragons (and carry spellcasters that can throw fireballs ...)

And then near the end the Sharans go into a formation that is basically a sinuous asian serpent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

to'raken (pronounced as closely to dragons as you can get without just calling them dragons) are giant flying lizards that are described as dragons (and carry spellcasters that can throw fireballs ...)

:doh:

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Invalid Validation posted:

Not only that but they aren’t even described in stories or anything. We earth humans know what a dragon is supposed to be from drawings and stories. So it’s literally just for the reader. The dragon symbol might as well be gibberish to anyone looking at it.

They also make a point that only scholars really know what it's called and what/who it represents.

It's ambiguous if the Clan Chiefs know that the the creature on their arms are dragons. They know they're called the people of the dragon, since all Aiel warriors do, but whether they would know the symbol as a dragon would really depend on what any of them saw in the previous lives. It wouldn't be surprising i f they did, but I don't remember it ever being spelled out.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

ninjoatse.cx posted:

They also make a point that only scholars really know what it's called and what/who it represents.

It's ambiguous if the Clan Chiefs know that the the creature on their arms are dragons. They know they're called the people of the dragon, since all Aiel warriors do, but whether they would know the symbol as a dragon would really depend on what any of them saw in the previous lives. It wouldn't be surprising i f they did, but I don't remember it ever being spelled out.

I'd imagine that plenty of them would see it in their ancestors' memories.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

^2 geez.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
80+ new replies. Thought for sure the trailer must have dropped.

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

th3t00t posted:

80+ new replies. Thought for sure the trailer must have dropped.

The teaser wasn't the Trailer.
There are neither trailers nor credit sequences to the Wheel of time.
But it was a trailer.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Stormangel posted:

The teaser wasn't the Trailer.
There are neither trailers nor credit sequences to the Wheel of time.
But it was a trailer.

It was a teaser. Though, a proper teaser would have shots from the actual show, with, you know, people, even for a few seconds.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Armauk posted:

It was a teaser. Though, a proper teaser would have shots from the actual show, with, you know, people, even for a few seconds.

Yeah. They've done nothing to hype anyone.

Everyone already hates GOT so that's not a catch anymore to watch a new fantasy.

Whatever. I'm accepting the WOT fps tower defense game as the best thing made for it ever

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
The real audience for LOTR and WoT is Jeff Bezos, so they'll stick around until he gets bored of em

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I think he already sells Bored of the Rings

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

The Glumslinger posted:

The real audience for LOTR and WoT is Jeff Bezos, so they'll stick around until he gets bored of em

ah, that's why he quit Amazon? So he can just stay at home and binge the whole series?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Sab669 posted:

ah, that's why he quit Amazon? So he can just stay at home and binge the whole series?

Probably figures if he retires now he can read the first couple books by showtime

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

The Glumslinger posted:

I think he likes them for the sheer amount of money fanboys will shell out to buy Amazon Prime memberships and merchandise related to those shows. Amazon is doing what HBO did for GoT.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
I've been fully re-reading WOT for the first time since having read The Stormlight Archives and the rest of the Cosmere books, and it has been interesting. I had read Mistborn before reading through Sanderson's WOT contributions the first time, but I hadn't realized how much he had really followed through on his promise to tell RJ's story in his own style rather than trying (and likely failing) to imitate another author.

The initial Gawyn chapters in TGS when he's conflicted about which Tower faction to support and is being a dumbass (still) with regards to Egwene read so much like mopey Kaladin chapters from Stormlight it's almost painful. Some sequences with Mat where he's being "witty" or "clever" read just like early Shallan stuff. Rand, Perrin, and Egwene (and Tuon!) all have sections that read like Dalinar, and there's plenty of other similarities as well.

Overall I'm still on team "he did as good a job as anyone could have done" with regards to how Sanderson finished off the series and I remain glad that he did. But I don't think I'll bother reading through the end again. It was obvious the first time I read Sanderson's WOT books that the characters were not the same, but now it feels like they've been possessed by other characters I also know, and it's just really off-putting. I'm 3/4 of the way through TGS so I still have a lot of pages to change my mind. I do remember AMOL being pretty goddamn epic but I know the Androl magic system stuff is probably going to seem even more egregious this time around, so who knows.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

He does action stuff pretty good so I’ll give him that. The last battle was good as far as I’m concerned. I read the mistborn/stormlight books recently and he has trouble with the middle of books where basically nothing happens.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

aparmenideanmonad posted:

I've been fully re-reading WOT for the first time since having read The Stormlight Archives and the rest of the Cosmere books, and it has been interesting. I had read Mistborn before reading through Sanderson's WOT contributions the first time, but I hadn't realized how much he had really followed through on his promise to tell RJ's story in his own style rather than trying (and likely failing) to imitate another author.

The initial Gawyn chapters in TGS when he's conflicted about which Tower faction to support and is being a dumbass (still) with regards to Egwene read so much like mopey Kaladin chapters from Stormlight it's almost painful. Some sequences with Mat where he's being "witty" or "clever" read just like early Shallan stuff. Rand, Perrin, and Egwene (and Tuon!) all have sections that read like Dalinar, and there's plenty of other similarities as well.

Overall I'm still on team "he did as good a job as anyone could have done" with regards to how Sanderson finished off the series and I remain glad that he did. But I don't think I'll bother reading through the end again. It was obvious the first time I read Sanderson's WOT books that the characters were not the same, but now it feels like they've been possessed by other characters I also know, and it's just really off-putting. I'm 3/4 of the way through TGS so I still have a lot of pages to change my mind. I do remember AMOL being pretty goddamn epic but I know the Androl magic system stuff is probably going to seem even more egregious this time around, so who knows.
I love TGS for the sheer fact that someone finally starts knocking down the dominos that RJ spent 11 books lining up. I don't mind the shift in prose and shift in the characters. I don't like ToM and MoL as much and they feel more "Sandersony" to me. Androl was enjoyable on the first reading, but he's egregiously out of place on re-reads. Perrin is basically one long repetitive dream action sequence barley connected to the rest of the story after the White cloak trial(which was pretty annoying in it's self).

I greatly enjoy Sanderson's own works and think he did a better job of finishing WoT than anyone could have hoped for. But it's not without it's flaws, and we have nothing else to discuss on this dead comedy forum because Amazon still hasn't dropped a trailer!

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

th3t00t posted:

I love TGS for the sheer fact that someone finally starts knocking down the dominos that RJ spent 11 books lining up. I don't mind the shift in prose and shift in the characters. I don't like ToM and MoL as much and they feel more "Sandersony" to me. Androl was enjoyable on the first reading, but he's egregiously out of place on re-reads. Perrin is basically one long repetitive dream action sequence barley connected to the rest of the story after the White cloak trial(which was pretty annoying in it's self).

I greatly enjoy Sanderson's own works and think he did a better job of finishing WoT than anyone could have hoped for.

This is very much my take. I kinda did mind the shift in prose and pacing, but I knew it pretty much had to happen to actually finish the series. Reading the last few books, I personally called Perrin's chapters the Dragon Ball Z chapters, since all he does is train and then get magical powers for doing it.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

perrin's whole deal definitely sticks out to me after a point, because he's always kind of been the most superfluous of the 3 main protags and after a while he's just blipping around just kind of chasing his own enemy while everyone else is moving the plot

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

ninjoatse.cx posted:

This is very much my take. I kinda did mind the shift in prose and pacing, but I knew it pretty much had to happen to actually finish the series. Reading the last few books, I personally called Perrin's chapters the Dragon Ball Z chapters, since all he does is train and then get magical powers for doing it.
On the previous episode of Dragon Wheel Z:
Perrin in the hyperbolic dream sequence: Itsssssssss jussssssssssssssssst

On the next episode of Dragon Wheel Z:
Perrin in the hyperbolic dream sequence: aaaaaaaa weeeeeaaaavvvveeee

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

It would necessitate revamping a whole lot of plot, but I could see Perrin’s leadership snowballing after the Shapiro are spread across the continent and he ends up unifying the bulk of the nations for Rand just by going around convincing generals to work with him.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Democratic Pirate posted:

It would necessitate revamping a whole lot of plot, but I could see Perrin’s leadership snowballing after the Shapiro are spread across the continent and he ends up unifying the bulk of the nations for Rand just by going around convincing generals to work with him.

Enjoying this autocorrect.

But yeah, it was weird to me that they lean hard on Perrin being willing to cooperate with the Seanchan in book 11 and then nothing really comes of it. Mat is obviously in a good place to do some uniting as well, but I agree that Perrin could have been used more politically in the final books considering all the polish he'd been acquiring from Faile and associating with Berelain/Alliandre.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Democratic Pirate posted:

Immensely cursed typo, but also kinda fitting.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

The show runner is doing a panel at ComicCon on 7/23, would make tons of sense to sync it up with a trailer to kick off the hype train.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
They'll probably just show another photo of a guitar.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

How are u posted:

They'll probably just show another photo of a guitar.

Maybe a wagon this time.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Let’s aim big, a presumed magical hood ornament

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Callandor but it’s plastic and obviously so.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Invalid Validation posted:

Callandor but it’s plastic and obviously so.

It's a lightsabre but one of the really cheap shoddy toys

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That SPOCK helmet only it has SWORDS taped over it

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

At this point I'm 50/50 on this being an elaborate joke from Bezos who wanted to one up Star Citizen in showing nothing but getting people excited.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
The dildo ter'angreal.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Enjoying this autocorrect.

But yeah, it was weird to me that they lean hard on Perrin being willing to cooperate with the Seanchan in book 11 and then nothing really comes of it. Mat is obviously in a good place to do some uniting as well, but I agree that Perrin could have been used more politically in the final books considering all the polish he'd been acquiring from Faile and associating with Berelain/Alliandre.

Perrin would be perfect at that, he and Faile were really good as a team at getting people to do poo poo. Watching politicians poo poo themselves because they don't realize he means what he says and is going to do what he says with Faile knifing anyone who disagrees is fun.

Also, the next tease will probably be a clear pool, or a tree that turns around to show a face and everyone will think they're ripping off Groot.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

seaborgium posted:

Perrin would be perfect at that, he and Faile were really good as a team at getting people to do poo poo. Watching politicians poo poo themselves because they don't realize he means what he says and is going to do what he says with Faile knifing anyone who disagrees is fun.

Also, the next tease will probably be a clear pool, or a tree that turns around to show a face and everyone will think they're ripping off Groot.

This could also be used to give Elayne better stuff to do in the mid to late series, instead of chasing the Black Ajah like an idiot and taking baths she could be actively trying to diplomatically counter these people who are building a new, larger kingdom next door to hers.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Perrin always felt like a "rebuilding" character to me. He's well placed (via marriage and personal connections) to start binding the "wetlands" back together at the start of the Fourth Age.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Ponsonby Britt posted:

This could also be used to give Elayne better stuff to do in the mid to late series, instead of chasing the Black Ajah like an idiot and taking baths she could be actively trying to diplomatically counter these people who are building a new, larger kingdom next door to hers.

Bad idea to make her work actively against main characters. There's no way she doesn't come off worse.

Like, the problem already is that she is set against a series of events that must occur so she's not allowed to make any progress against it. What makes you think putting her up against actual ta'veren is going to look better for her?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jul 9, 2021

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Yeah, if you want to make Elayne look better, getting her into a contest of wits against Faile and one of the ta'veren is not going to be a big help.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Might be better off to move most of her machinations into her travel from whereever to Caemlyn. Have her assemble her claim before she even walks in. She's got the Kin and a Seafolk delegation, then the Black Ajah murder plot, while she's marching through Andor trying to convince the major houses to back her, have her visit the Borderlander army, etc., then have her take Caemlyn from Arymilla.

The major accomplishment here is this divorces the Black Ajah plot from the Succession plot so she's not spinning her wheels against everything at once.

Have her make a clean sweep of the Black Ajah plot.

Then, skip around on her a little, fit in the four way Bond, let everyone else catch up to TGS-ToM, and have Arymilla's cohorts, now imprisoned, turn out to be traitor/Darkfriend, escape captivity, and start the Caemlyn attack.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I hope the show does a good job illustrating just how bad some of these characters suck. Make it obvious that Elayne gets people killed all the time and that Gawyn is just totally useless. Do it without making the show itself terrible please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

The next tease will be the flame and the void, and everyone will claim it's ripping off this: