Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Beefeater1980 posted:

I learned to drink a fuckton in my 20s because that was what City Lawyers Did. I kept it up in my 30s even after leaving the profession because it was what I did. Now I don’t really want to do it any more but it’s pretty ingrained.

I’ve recently had to cut down my (also pretty habitual) drinking recently and I’ve found a few things have helped:

- Taking a solid break of at least a week without any booze just to sort of break the cycle.

- Only drinking on social occasions that are already planned around drinking. If going to meet a friend I’ll go for coffee, but for the something like an England game I know I’ll want to drink and resent the whole thing if I miss it or sit there with a lemonade the whole time.

- When drinking only drink standard strength lager, always have a pint of water sat there (a lot of my issue is I’m just a fast drinker of anything, I get thirsty, so if I have something else to sup I don’t drink as fast), and intersperse drinking beer with non-alcie beer.

- if you fancy a drink at home have a non-alcoholic version. I was surprised at how much of my desire to drink was the ritual of, for instance, popping the cap off a green glass bottle and swigging back the taste of a beer, as opposed to just ‘being drunk’.

Obviously this is just what’s worked for me and might not be of any use at all for you but thought I’d share in case any of it is helpful.

Jakabite fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jul 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Borrovan posted:

If that works for you, great. What it doesn't do though is address the absurd. A lot of people who try to leave the world a better place struggle with the concept that all of their efforts will ultimately come to nothing, and become depressed. Absurdism gets around that. Others might not acknowledge that at all, and always feel that they need to be doing more, and become depressed because there's such a strict limit on exactly what one person can do. Or, struggling to come to terms with the absurd might cause people so much anguish that they ultimately don't have the emotional wherewithal to really do much to make the world better, so they might see their life as lacking meaning. Embracing the absurd means acknowledging that actually that's not the case, do or don't, your life still has meaning - which, ultimately, can help people to do more good regardless.

Another trap that some people (hi) fall into with deriving meaning from doing good is that it's hard to justify the stuff that you do just for you. To my mind, you've basically got four choices: just ignore the problem (then become miserable because your life lacks meaning by your own measure); just don't do stuff for yourself (then become miserable, burn out, ultimately do less good, become more miserable); justify it on the basis that you've done your part so you're entitled to it (the danger here is that, if you're the reflective type, you might recognise the potential for motivated reasoning and so err on the side of not seeing value in doing things for you, become miserable, burn out, &c); or, justify it on the basis that it's essential maintenance in order to make it so you are capable of doing good at other times. The problem with the last one (in my extensive experience thinking like that) is that it's bad for your self esteem to just see yourself as a "tool" to be "maintained", rather than having intrinsic value anyway & doing stuff just for you to have intrinsic worth. Then, that lack of self-esteem makes you miserable, &c.

These problems become especially hard if you just can't do much good for whatever reason. Maybe you just get old, & regardless of what you've done in the past it's hard to see your continued life as meaningful. Or some people might have disabilities and just be incapable of interacting in the world much at all, for good or bad. Absurdism allows them to find meaning in just spending months building a kickass dwarf fortress settlement or w/e. To take a less extreme example, you agreed that the kind ditch-digger's life has meaning - but, what if that person was generally kind-hearted, but just antisocial, so didn't particularly do any good? Or, if they saw value in doing good, they might feel that their life lacks meaning as compared to the activist, because they just aren't able to do that kind of (more far-reaching) stuff. I don't think any reasonable system of morality would judge any of these people harshly, but it's an easy pitfall in judging your own actions by reference to whether or not you make the world better, because of the core problem in judging your own moral worth:

That's not actually a problem in absurdism, because it involves recognising that all action is ultimately futile so who cares. If you're judging yourself by your moral worth though, then drat right you should be thinking about that - people who don't even question whether their moral assessment might be wrong are, ime, the kind of people who tend to be wrong. And if you are questioning it, then you ultimately have to conclude that you have no idea whether you're right or not, which, if you view your life having purpose as being contingent on "doing right", means you've just got to live with not knowing whether your life has meaning or not. Separating "meaning" from "virtue" allows you to just be, your existence stops being contingent on fundamentally unanswerable questions so those questions become much less urgent, so you can reflect on them much more clearly & impartially (imo).

Like I don't mean to poo poo on your worldview here, like I said, if it works for you, great. It definitely did not work for me though. I identify a lot with the kinds of examples that I've given here, so embracing absurdity and finding meaning in obviously pointless activities makes me much happier, and, therefore, much more able to actually do good things.

hello it is me the theistic absurdist, I'd say ama but honestly please don't because :can:

Excellent post

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Beefeater1980 posted:

AA creeps me out. Either I win this on my own terms or I lose it.
SMART (Self-Management and Recovery Training) and LifeRing have similar recovery rates but without all the 12 step badness or trying to convince you that the moment you leave you'll take one sip of beer and then drink yourself to death. Because more often than not that's not true.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Alcohol free beer has got way better in the past couple of years and as Jakabite says cracking open a cold tin at the end of the day seems to scratch that itch.

Having a drink is a very nice delineation between work time / me time, but it turns out I don't actually need the EtOH for that to happen.

Xeno
Sep 16, 2005

MAD TYTE DUBZ, YO.
The Monster Munch chat is much more interesting than this philosophical one, and also contributes more to our existence.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Beefeater1980 posted:

I learned to drink a fuckton in my 20s because that was what City Lawyers Did. I kept it up in my 30s even after leaving the profession because it was what I did. Now I don’t really want to do it any more but it’s pretty ingrained.

I'm a bit younger than you but my historical alcohol abuse (which still continues, though far less than before) was also environmentally mediated, at least to start with (then it became a coping strategy). If it's not just habit, but a coping strategy, then you need to get to the bottom of what's bothering you. Addiction is environmental, end of story. It gets worse with anxiety and stress and gets really bad when the despair kicks in.

I am finding therapy immensely helpful, although it's a long, hard, slow process.

I also found that substitution with a less deletrious habit was a decent stop gap - in my case weed - but I can understand that if you're in your 40s with a wife and kids that may not fly.

Good luck, though. I wish I never started. It's been a ball and chain my whole life

EDIT

Beefeater1980 posted:

Yes to both? I’m religious enough to believe in God but not irreligious enough to believe that He would be terribly exercised about my relationship with the vine. AA creeps me out. Either I win this on my own terms or I lose it.

If you really want to win it you're not going to be able to do it on your own. I know that's not exactly synonymous with "on my own terms", but still, worth bearing in mind

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jul 7, 2021

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Becks Blue is decent for replicating swill, Moretti weirdly has quite an ipa vibe to it, and nanny state is well regarded. Not tried to Stella one. You can get alcohol free wine now too tho I don’t know how good it is, and alcohol free gin is real nice.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Xeno posted:

The Monster Munch chat is much more interesting than this philosophical one, and also contributes more to our existence.

Thanks for the input but it seems like most people seem to have gotten quite a lot out of it so maybe just check back with the thread in a few days and see if it's more to your taste.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Barry Foster posted:

Excellent post

It really was! Thank you, Borrovan, for all the effort

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Jakabite posted:

I’ve recently had to cut down my (also pretty habitual) drinking recently and I’ve found a few things have helped:

- Taking a solid break of at least a week without any booze just to sort of break the cycle.

- Only drinking on social occasions that are already planned around drinking. If going to meet a friend I’ll go for coffee, but for the something like an England game I know I’ll want to drink and resent the whole thing if I miss it or sit there with a lemonade the whole time.

- When drinking only drink standard strength lager, always have a pint of water sat there (a lot of my issue is I’m just a fast drinker of anything, I get thirsty, so if I have something else to sup I don’t drink as fast), and intersperse drinking beer with non-alcie beer.

- if you fancy a drink at home have a non-alcoholic version. I was surprised at how much of my desire to drink was the ritual of, for instance, popping the cap off a green glass bottle and swigging back the taste of a beer, as opposed to just ‘being drunk’.

Obviously this is just what’s worked for me and might not be of any use at all for you but thought I’d share in case any of it is helpful.

When I first got concerned about my drinking in my 20s, I went tee-total for a year. I was living in a shared flat with 7 other people and every night one of the guys (wealthy computer toucher) used to go to the offie and pick up a shed load of booze and we'd all get pissed. Also, the director's secretary used to clear his desk every Friday afternoon when he always had a long board meeting and make a bar on it of mostly spirits and she would take it as a personal insult if you said you didn't want to drink (surprising how many people DO take it as a personal insult if you don't want to drink alcohol!)

After going to work 3 days on the trot with a raging hangover and having not actually been anywhere (*ed oh and passing out on the tube on the way to work one day and another time passing out in the office), and having to manage relations with the director's secretary, I decided to go tee-total for a year and almost managed it apart from the one time the Intrepid Fox barperson picked out the 9% lager which was located right next to the very low alcohol lager which was my 'usual' for that year and I drank it before I noticed and was extremely unwell.

As I hit my 30s hangovers got worse. I found that if I started with low-alcohol lager it tasted fine but if I had started with full-fat lager and then tried the low, it didn't taste good. So I would get a couple of pints of the low-alcohol in first. Then I progressed to if it was my round I would always get myself a low-alcohol lager (and I wasn't cheating because I was the one buying most of the rounds as I was the one with the comparatively large salary in our group at the time).

Eventually mid-late 30s I started feeling extremely unwell - not hangover unwell - after the compulsory Thursday night after work drinking sessions - tachycardia, super-high blood pressure - I could feel the blood literally thumping round my veins - the lot, eventually realized it was the booze and finally went tee-total completely in late 2005 (45yrold). I miss not having a Baileys and sometimes feel I could murder a lager if there was one around - fruit juice or fizzy pops giving me gut rot and also being too sweet - so I've ended up drinking still water most of the time!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

This is good advice!

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Jakabite posted:

Becks Blue is decent for replicating swill, Moretti weirdly has quite an ipa vibe to it, and nanny state is well regarded. Not tried to Stella one. You can get alcohol free wine now too tho I don’t know how good it is, and alcohol free gin is real nice.

The one I like best is Erdinger Alkoholfrei which it looks like you can get in Tescos

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/263042455

Xeno
Sep 16, 2005

MAD TYTE DUBZ, YO.

Barry Foster posted:

Thanks for the input but it seems like most people seem to have gotten quite a lot out of it so maybe just check back with the thread in a few days and see if it's more to your taste.

The question is, what is your taste? You sound like a Pickled Onion type of gent.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Xeno posted:

Username / post paradox.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

A post that takes so long, by the time you go to hit submit there are more posts to reply to.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

knox_harrington posted:

The one I like best is Erdinger Alkoholfrei which it looks like you can get in Tescos

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/263042455

Easily the best of the bunch, the others I find are either flavourless or so overly floral they're like drinking air freshener.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

What up, alcoholic law buddy. I won't weigh in on everybody else's advice, except to note that (1)see a doctor, when I did cold turkey it made me very sick & my GP got very worried, & (2)like other people have said, if you need support, :justpost:

Tarnop posted:

It really was! Thank you, Borrovan, for all the effort
Aw shucks :)

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Username / post paradox.
It is impossible to finish a bag of monster munch.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Jakabite posted:

Thank you, this is actually really helpful. The week long break in particular seems like a sensible and achievable goal.

Guavanaut posted:

SMART (Self-Management and Recovery Training) and LifeRing have similar recovery rates but without all the 12 step badness or trying to convince you that the moment you leave you'll take one sip of beer and then drink yourself to death. Because more often than not that's not true.

Thank you, looking into this.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Barry Foster posted:

I'm a bit younger than you but my historical alcohol abuse (which still continues, though far less than before) was also environmentally mediated, at least to start with (then it became a coping strategy). If it's not just habit, but a coping strategy, then you need to get to the bottom of what's bothering you. Addiction is environmental, end of story. It gets worse with anxiety and stress and gets really bad when the despair kicks in.

I am finding therapy immensely helpful, although it's a long, hard, slow process.

I also found that substitution with a less deletrious habit was a decent stop gap - in my case weed - but I can understand that if you're in your 40s with a wife and kids that may not fly.

Good luck, though. I wish I never started. It's been a ball and chain my whole life

EDIT

If you really want to win it you're not going to be able to do it on your own. I know that's not exactly synonymous with "on my own terms", but still, worth bearing in mind

Thanks Barry. I don’t think there are any underlying factors left, beyond the general what-the-fuckness of everything.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Really sad to hear these alcohol stories, it's just something I never really got into, partly because my parents were quite open about it so there was almost zero mystery or naughtiness or whatever and partly because even though I'd enjoy a few drinks on nights out I could not handle hangovers

the flipside of course is I've been a passive smoker since I was literally a fetus and so am criminally hooked

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Don't underestimate the mental and emotional weight of said what the fuckness, mind. It's exhausting, stressful and draining living in chaotic decline.

That said, the one other thing to remember is that you won't stop until you really, truly want to, and that can't be rushed. It sounds like you're on the same slope towards feeling it's just not worth it that Jaelunji reached the bottom of at 45 (and I think I may be a bit behind you). If that is the case then it's a case of just trying to make better decisions and curb the worst excesses and consequences til then.

Good luck though, man, and my sympathies. It's tough.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I sort of feel like that should be a qualifier for most psychological treatments, accepting that a lot of the time it's not you that's wrong, it's that you can't handle the awful bullshit going on around you.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

JollyBoyJohn posted:

partly because my parents were quite open about it so there was almost zero mystery or naughtiness or whatever
Conversely, my parents were quite open about it so I was brought up on the assumption that getting shitfaced every night is just what you do

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I think the way that ‘dealing with an unhealthy relationship with alcohol’ is so often made into ‘quitting altogether, right now’ probably leads to a lot of people never bothering to deal with it at all. Some people need to quit this second, and some people will need to quit soon, but I think the majority of people with issues with alcohol (which let’s face it is probably upwards of 50% of adults in the U.K.) would benefit from a more moderating approach. I know I tried to quite entirely a few times and every times it’s not only made me miserable, it’s failed and resulted in no progress whatsoever. I’ve recently accepted that I do want to continue drinking but in a far healthier and more moderated way and it’s already working our way, way better. That’s not to say that quitting entirely isn’t a great thing to do for a ton of people like.

I’d also second what Barry said about underlying issues. People don’t tend to throw themselves to the dogs of booze when they’re feeling good about life and themselves. Underlying issues usually take at least months if not many years to really sort though so getting control of your drinking in the meantime is pretty essential.

It’s always encouraging how many people struggle with this. You’re far from alone!

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I sort of feel like that should be a qualifier for most psychological treatments, accepting that a lot of the time it's not you that's wrong, it's that you can't handle the awful bullshit going on around you.

So true. I'm helping a friend get treatment for his depression and I find I can handle most of the issues he raises and offer advice that has helped me in therapy. Then it gets to the point of him saying "I either have to go back to work way before I'm ready or somehow not end up homeless living on SSP" and there's no therapy or medication that fixes that problem

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Exciting Brexit Benefit: Getting crushed by an HGV after the driver falls asleep at the wheel

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1412777926211289099?s=20

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

sinky posted:

Exciting Brexit Benefit: Getting crushed by an HGV after the driver falls asleep at the wheel

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1412777926211289099?s=20

Didn't there used to be real problems with drivers falling asleep at the wheel and ploughing across several lanes of motorway?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://www.shropshirestar.com/news/motors/2018/04/27/more-than-a-quarter-of-lorry-drivers-have-fallen-asleep-at-the-wheel-study-finds/

quote:

A confidential survey of road hauliers and HGV drivers has found that 29 per cent admit to having fallen asleep at the wheel while driving.

The study, conducted by the Unite workers’ union, questioned over 4,000 lorry drivers and found the shocking number who admit to having fallen asleep on the road. Of those who admitted to nodding off, 64.4 per cent blamed their work for their fatigue, citing long days and insufficient provision for rest.

falling asleep at the wheel accounts for around 20 per cent of serious collisions on motorways and similar roads – rising to almost 50 per cent of collisions on UK motorways between 2am and 6am.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Jesus Christ it is going to be a bloodbath.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Angrymog posted:

Didn't there used to be real problems with drivers falling asleep at the wheel and ploughing across several lanes of motorway?

Stop talking down brexit :bahgawd:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Just update the smart motorways to say no driving the HGV across the central reservation, bish bosh simple as.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Serious talk for a second, the main reason I keep going back to do shifts at vaccination centres (and why I'll have to find something similar to replace it when it ends) is I've discovered, to my utter surprise considering I've had almost half a century of considering myself an antisocial misanthrope, that I actually like helping people.

When I did my first shifts I felt a bit pointless as often the work is stuff you could literally do with some raffle tickets and a couple of bits of cardboard but I've realised that just the human connection of someone pointing you to the right chair rather than having to find it yourself, the occasional little bit of light banter and dad-jokes, or even just being there and looking like you know what's going on takes the edge off of what is even for the most self-reliant person a discomfiting and unpleasant experience. Just little stuff like finding an extra chair if someone has a friend/partner/relative with them for moral support, or taking the all-important pic of them getting the jab - in a tiny, tiny way I've just made that person's life a little bit better, and I get to do that for sometimes hundreds of people at a time. It's an addictive feeling, I've got to say.

The thing is though - there's a tiny bit of me that worries I'm sort of negating the altruism there. It's a really weird thing, and possibly some strange suppressed Protestant Work Ethic complex, but I do actually feel a tiny bit of guilt if I have too much fun doing it, like somehow - if there is a Good Place - I'm knocking something off my score because I'm having a good time. I wonder if the RVS have a special model hi-vis that can fit over a hair shirt to counteract it?

This is a very important thing, which links back to a wider concept which is kind of e/n-like; the massive imbalance of importance of a thing. Vaccination being the perfect example. For the person being jabbed, this is an enormous deal, the Big Day after months and months of waiting, their part in a way out of the pandemic (maybe). For the jabber, they're just arm number 97 of the day, out of thousands of arms they've jabbed so far.

Having someone there to bridge that gap between import and routine is vital to stop the experience being alienating for the jabbee, but also to keep the line moving - a purely robotic and austere system would jam up with confused patients, while the jabbers get increasingly frustrated because it's obvious where to stand, it's obvious what to do, it's obvious how to sit, because they've been seeing it every day.

And this applies more widely, the skill of keeping up that empathy, of remembering that (for the first dose at least) this is the first time most of these people have seen/done anything like this. And that's hard to do, but it would improve most "customer service" type experiences immeasurably more than forcing people to smile, or wear a certain hat, or whatever.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It'll be a renaissance for the British bathtub amphetamines sector!

Jakabite posted:

I think the way that ‘dealing with an unhealthy relationship with alcohol’ is so often made into ‘quitting altogether, right now’ probably leads to a lot of people never bothering to deal with it at all. Some people need to quit this second, and some people will need to quit soon, but I think the majority of people with issues with alcohol (which let’s face it is probably upwards of 50% of adults in the U.K.) would benefit from a more moderating approach. I know I tried to quite entirely a few times and every times it’s not only made me miserable, it’s failed and resulted in no progress whatsoever. I’ve recently accepted that I do want to continue drinking but in a far healthier and more moderated way and it’s already working our way, way better. That’s not to say that quitting entirely isn’t a great thing to do for a ton of people like.
I agree with this. That's why I found that NIAAA article I linked so encouraging in dispelling the myth that someone is either an alcoholic for life or never 'really' an alcoholic. Many more people than you think break out of it without having to live some kind of ascetic life. Sometimes you do need to dry out for a week or so though (with appropriate help where necessary), if only so that it's not your drunk or hungover brain making that decision.

I think Dry January is a lot more significant than people give it credit for too. Livers have an impressive ability to regenerate and a month off every year or so can undo a lot of damage. It's also a lot more socially acceptable to say you're 'doing Dry January' than that you're no longer drinking, and the more people that do it, the more that's the case. Do Sober October too.

Jakabite posted:

I’d also second what Barry said about underlying issues. People don’t tend to throw themselves to the dogs of booze when they’re feeling good about life and themselves. Underlying issues usually take at least months if not many years to really sort though so getting control of your drinking in the meantime is pretty essential.
This too, if alcohol misuse disorder is a coping mechanism for an underlying trauma, then kicking out the crutch without addressing the trauma and then getting people to internalize that everything happened because of the drinking and you need to go around making amends for it is a really toxic way of addressing anything.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Borrovan posted:

Conversely, my parents were quite open about it so I was brought up on the assumption that getting shitfaced every night is just what you do

Yup this is what happened to me.

It's encouraging that this seems to be less of a problem for Kids These Days (tm). So many of my friends' kids - friends who came up in the same environment - just aren't interested. Not having it.

I don't think booze will ever go fully the way of smoking (cigarettes, not nicotine itself, to be clear) but stats and my own anecdotal experience do seem to line up

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Dry January is a very good thing. I first did one in my mid 20s when I knew deep down I was drinking too much. In the pub over the road from work every night after work knocked off, frequently falling asleep in the pub, not good but I was in denial.

Two days into dry January I was cold sweating at work and I reined my drinking way back in after that point

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

I used to do dry january every year but the last two have just been too unsettled/unsettling. In 2020 I was still reeling from the 2019 election (which was a genuine, Actual Trauma for so many of us, and probably always will be) and there was no way I was going to psychologically make it through the horrors of the start of this year without my life's biggest crutch. I've not beaten myself up about it, but I hope I'm in a better position next year and try and get back into the habit.

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jul 7, 2021

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Bobstar posted:

This is a very important thing, which links back to a wider concept which is kind of e/n-like; the massive imbalance of importance of a thing. Vaccination being the perfect example. For the person being jabbed, this is an enormous deal, the Big Day after months and months of waiting, their part in a way out of the pandemic (maybe). For the jabber, they're just arm number 97 of the day, out of thousands of arms they've jabbed so far.

Having someone there to bridge that gap between import and routine is vital to stop the experience being alienating for the jabbee, but also to keep the line moving - a purely robotic and austere system would jam up with confused patients, while the jabbers get increasingly frustrated because it's obvious where to stand, it's obvious what to do, it's obvious how to sit, because they've been seeing it every day.

And this applies more widely, the skill of keeping up that empathy, of remembering that (for the first dose at least) this is the first time most of these people have seen/done anything like this. And that's hard to do, but it would improve most "customer service" type experiences immeasurably more than forcing people to smile, or wear a certain hat, or whatever.

First of all, I just wanted to say massive thanks to everyone thinking it was more than just a casual aside about the way my brain tries to spoil my fun and offering practical advice - once again this is one of the nicest and most constructive spaces on the internet and you can all take pride in that (oh no I've just ruined it for you all by making you feel good about it).

I just wanted to highlight this post because it really does sum up what I was talking about, especially that last paragraph. Almost every job I've done has - ultimately - boiled down effectively to sales or customer service... and I hate that I'm good at it. It feels so insincere when I'm schmoozing a client or flattering colleagues to get what I want done, done. To be able to use those skills for an undoubted good is massively liberating.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Beefeater1980, it may well be possible for you to tackle your problem alone but never be scared to ask for help. Don't think it's a binary between AA/full-on rehab and just biting the bullet and dealing with it yourself. Addiction is particularly amenable to group therapy and there will definitely be charities and organisations in your area able to get you into a group - hell you can even do AA and just ignore the 12 steps if all else fails.

minema
May 31, 2011

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Almost every job I've done has - ultimately - boiled down effectively to sales or customer service... and I hate that I'm good at it. It feels so insincere when I'm schmoozing a client or flattering colleagues to get what I want done, done. To be able to use those skills for an undoubted good is massively liberating.

This is why I went into physiotherapy - I basically convince people that Exercise Is Good for a living. I'm sure there'd be plenty of other similar jobs with a similar vibe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

minema posted:

This is why I went into physiotherapy - I basically convince people that Exercise Is Good for a living. I'm sure there'd be plenty of other similar jobs with a similar vibe

Coming from someone in my very much built-for-comfort shape, telling people Exercise Is Good would be insincere even beyond my amazing abilities to cover up.