Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i assumed it was a moba based on the name.

I figured CCG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Rinkles posted:

the reviews for the old bethesda published Call of Cthulu are full of warnings about bugs. is that something fan patches fix? It's only $1.50.

From what I recall, yes, it's a relatively buggy game, but I don't think there's anything gamebreaking or anything.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Mordja posted:

I figured CCG

This post brought to you by Clash: Artifacts of Chaos!

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Rinkles posted:

the reviews for the old bethesda published Call of Cthulu are full of warnings about bugs. is that something fan patches fix? It's only $1.50.

I think there's one place that's an immediate CTD that has still never been fixed, but otherwise yeah. Highly recommend it for that price, it's a very unique game with some outstanding set pieces that really loses its way after the opening hours.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Dark Corners of the Earth on steam actually does have a showstopper bug that has not been fixed to my knowledge (an enemy that's supposed to appear during one sequence doesn't, which softlocks everything)

It also just isn't very good at the end of the day.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

deep dish peat moss posted:

Diablo 2 is my favorite game of all time and I have played virtually every ARPG that has come out since. At the end of the day I hate them all. I even wrote a big effort post about how much I dislike Last Epoch but I didn't post it and just made it a Steam review instead

I say all of this just to say that Chronicon is the only post-Diablo 2 ARPG that I like. The only downside is it's solo / local co-op only, there's no online play.

It has classes and skills that feel good. It doesn't make you play for 20 hours to unlock the skills you'll actually use on your character. It has loot that's fun and clearly defines or enables a certain build. It's packed full of giant hordes of enemies that can drop powerful loot right from the beginning. It gets extremely chaotic but in a way that leaves you excited to get back to town and sort through loot. It's not bogged down by a sluggish non-responsive 3d engine like almost every single 3d ARPG that isn't named Diablo 3. It takes a small adjustment to get used to the movement and animation lock on the skills but as soon as it clicked I loved it.
Plus you can give people diseases so hard their blood hops out to help you beat them up.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I think there's one place that's an immediate CTD that has still never been fixed, but otherwise yeah. Highly recommend it for that price, it's a very unique game with some outstanding set pieces that really loses its way after the opening hours.

I stopped playing just about as soon as I got a gun.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Dirt 5
3BPCI-G5Q3J-TVYJC

Kill it With Fire
4ET4R-4IKJI-2VNVW

Elderborn
4CT9B-AX29W-IMHY9

Deadly Days
44F2G-MAGXG-5X8JK

Darkhold fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jul 7, 2021

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Redeemed, thank you!

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Darkhold posted:

Deadly Days
44F2G-MAGXG-5X8JK

Was literally just looking at zombie roguelikes (State of Decay 2 and Zomboid) and managed to snag this instead!

Edit: I complete forgot to say, THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

Artelier fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jul 7, 2021

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

FirstAidKite posted:

This game called Slasher's Keep showed up in my steam queue and it looks pretty neat, any of you heard of this game?
People seemed pretty into it! Wasn’t my favorite but others really liked it.

deep dish peat moss posted:

The first and only time I played SNKRX I built a party of all warrior-types and got some relic that let me bounce off the walls (I think? Something like that). I was able to beat most levels by literally taking my hands off the keyboard and letting it play itself, and the remaining three-ish levels I beat by steering straight into enemies because I was a blender of aoe damage, bump damage, and massive damage resist. And that was all just from the way the warrior-type units are designed, and only using the basic ones you see right at the start of the game with none of the expensive advanced units. No relic synergies or anything.

I can't bring myself to play it again after that :effort:

Beaten, but new game + gets a lot harder if you do a clear or two. I also did a warrior clear and got it first try, but it definitely starts requiring more synergy and thought. Also, it’s on mobile, works super well there, and is getting pretty frequent updates. I’d definitely recommend it for mobile where I think it’s an easier sell.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Artelier posted:

Was literally just looking at zombie roguelikes (State of Decay 2 and Zomboid) and managed to snag this instead!

State of decay 2 is still real good and worth checking out esp now after the last patch but it's also not really a roguelike :shobon:

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
What was the name of that Ace Combat clone people gushed about toward the end of last year? I might be down for some dogfighting.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Ragequit posted:

What was the name of that Ace Combat clone people gushed about toward the end of last year? I might be down for some dogfighting.

Project Wingman

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Ragequit posted:

Other than the already mentioned Project Wingman, there's also Sky Rogue.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Ragequit posted:

Project Wingman is utterly fantastic and you will not be disappointed.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

It's even better now that they've patched out the few annoyances that were present near release (e.g. everything being ORANGE as gently caress). It's excellent and I easily enjoyed it as much as the "real" Ace Combat.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

bought a bunch of 2021 games (and one 2020 game) for $53.41 (inc tax), i always like spending the price of one AAA game to get a bunch of random indie stuff. the games:

Alwa's Legacy (the one 2020 game), the sequel to Alwa's Awakening, hyphy for this one
Annalynn, a classic arcade style game that combines Pacman, Mappy, and DK Jr. Looks fun!
Astrodogs, a hybrid tribute to Star Fox and Galaxy Force by the developer of Broken Reality. Broken Reality had some iffy stuff in it in retrospect (slightly chuddish memes for example) but this looks to be more all-ages.
Binky's Trash Service, a cute looking platformer with an acrobatic moveset where you go trash hunting
Death off the Cuff, an IF from the PataNoir dev who has posted here before, where you are a detective doing a parlor room scene but you know nothing about the murder
Pear Potion 🍐, a Hero Core-inspired game with witches, bullet helling, and an emoji in the title
Room to Grow, a puzzle game that combines Snake with Sokoban, looks like it will torture my brain in the same way as Snakebird (except you can skip stages, mercifully!!)
Sizeable, a small 3D puzzle game where you can resize any prop in the scene
Tiny Lands, a spot the difference game in 3D
and Tiny Room Stories, a collection of little escape-ish rooms, seems similar to The Almost Gone

i'm going to wait on these games because they might be cheaper later or pop up in bundles: retro machina ($12), godstrike ($12), kaze & the wild masks ($16), foregone ($10), loop hero ($10), mail mole ($11), mind scanners ($14), lacuna ($13)

i can probably round things off at $60 if i also grab qube qross ($3) which looks like reverse Picross 3D, and one other really cheap game. maybe i'll get that one really trashy looking game after all (2008's Collapse, $2). but I don't really think it's necessary to round a number off.

I'm also thinking about Even the Ocean ($7.49) by the Anodyne 2 dev, and then some older games (Gujian3 for $9, Draugen for $6, Willy Jetman for $6, Rumu for $6, Sensorium for $5, Voxelgram for $5, Forgotton Anne for $8, and Rabi-Ribi for $7). It's pretty likely I'll have spent $100 by the time the sale is over.

e: I think I'll shave off Fogotton Anne and Gujian3 and get the other games, and that'll round out my purchases

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jul 7, 2021

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I ended up getting:

Amnesia: Rebirth
Blood: Fresh Supply
Everhood
Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved
OMORI

Pretty deece haul I think

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Is Kingdom Come: Deliverance worth it these days? I've always been an Elder Scrolls fan which is kind of the closest thing I can think to compare it with, but I'm not sure.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

tight aspirations posted:

Could I try Squad? Thank you!

You're getting a good deal.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

GreatGreen posted:

Is Kingdom Come: Deliverance worth it these days? I've always been an Elder Scrolls fan which is kind of the closest thing I can think to compare it with, but I'm not sure.

Absolutely. It's a hardcore RPG, but what's fun is the character learns with you, i.e. the better you get at sword fighting, the better your character. The story is... decent, and there is plenty of eastern European jank, but the game is worth the time.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

GreatGreen posted:

I've been interested in this game for a while too but I was waiting because I thought they were going to give it Steam Workshop support; some of the mundane poo poo in the game I think I'd rather pass on.

Looks like it's not hard to add mods from Nexus mods but Total War Warhammer made me really appreciate the ease of the Steam Workshop.

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Blood: Fresh Supply

Also got Blood, is it supposed to be super hard or am I just garbage?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

It's pretty hard mostly because of the hitscan enemies IIRC, they're way more accurate on higher difficulties

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Yeah Blood does not gently caress around and will kick your rear end past the medium difficulties.

It's so loving good tho.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

Blood Fresh Supply has a custom difficulty where you can change the parameters as you want, I highly recommend putting the cultists damage/aiming (or both) to low, but then increasing enemy count to compensate. Cultists are the biggest problem, since they're hitscan and can sometimes hit almost immediately.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

Blood has something of a reverse difficulty curve in that you're undergunned for its first set of levels and the most prolific enemy is a deadly hitscanner. My opinion is that you should have no qualms about using Fresh Supply's custom difficulty option to turn down Cultists' reaction times and accuracy.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

I, Butthole posted:

Seeking recommendations for ARPG hack and slashers in the vein of Diablo and Torchlight, as I've got an urge to click on things repeatedly.

I've been enjoying 40K Inquisitor - Martyr quite a lot. The loot is pretty weak is the main thing, very little visual variation, just certain numbers go up as overall quality improves, each item copy has different bonuses and still looks the same.

But for clicking on evil guys and watching their heads explode it is good. Has nice graphics and, for me, captures the 40k universe quite well actually. The central mystery is about an ancient ship called the Martyr, I don't want to say too much (I haven't near finished myself anyways) but it's a story that grabbed me pretty well and reminds me positively about all the great science fiction about ancient massive alien ships. Skills are more based on the weapons you use than class or skill points, although there are also persistent upgrades.

Personally, I prefer the setting over Grim Dawn's but that's a good game too.

I actually just got it in the steam sale for about 12 bucks, should still be that price.

busalover posted:

Man, Huntdown is good. It's really the one retro game I've always wanted.

Hell yeah it is, I love pretty much everything about that game. It's just straight up retro excellence except actually better than most retro games because it has more modern controls and mechanics.

You might be interested to try Mighty Goose which is a modern Metal Slug clone that I actually love

Trick Question posted:

Are there any cool racing games on sale that won't force me to give money to EA? I've already played horizon 4 on game pass, which was really good but I don't feel like buying it or dealing with a subscription service again.

Probably my favorite souls-ish game, tied with Sekiro and Bloodborne. It will murder you a lot until you get used to the systems, but then you can break it in your favor or make it even harder at your own discretion.

Dirt 5 is in this month's humble bundle. Not the best game ever but very solid in most ways and looks absolutely fantastic. It's an arcade game but the driving does have some sim elements. Plays well on controller, I wouldn't use a wheel for this game.

Assetto Corsa is a full-on sim game, it's only 3.99 right now which is crazy. If you want realism go here. Probably better with a wheel but shouldn't be impossible without one.

Dirt Rally 2.0, a fantastic rally game (although I prefer WRC 9) is only 4.99. Pretty realistic driving but doable with controller or keyboard.

I don't THINK any of those are published by EA but I don't know for sure, you can check.

Play fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jul 7, 2021

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

GreatGreen posted:

Given that it was made by a pro-Gamergater I'm still not comfortable playing it, even though I got it from a humble bundle.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/9kzqxd/kingdom-come-deliverance-waypoint-radio

quote:

Kingdom Come: Deliverance, an open world medieval RPG set during the Holy Roman Empire, launched earlier this week, and it's already an enormous hit. Waypoint hasn't written about the game yet, partially because we've struggled over how to cover a game whose creative director has both publicly and forcefully supported GamerGate and made highly questionable statements about the game's "historical" accuracy regarding representing people of color. Maybe we shouldn't cover it all? On the podcast, Austin, Patrick, and Danielle decided it was time to have a public conversation about all this.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Armauk posted:

Absolutely. It's a hardcore RPG, but what's fun is the character learns with you, i.e. the better you get at sword fighting, the better your character. The story is... decent, and there is plenty of eastern European jank, but the game is worth the time.

Thanks!

The other thing that always struck me about Kingdom Come is the world. How is the world exploration? How big does the world feel? One of the things that always bugs me about Elder Scrolls games (well, Oblivion and Skyrim) is that I never feel lost. The way the worlds of Oblivion and Skyrim are setup makes you feel more like you're in a really big park more than "the open wilderness." How does Kingdom Come feel in that regard?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

alright I got draugen, even the ocean, rabi-ribi, rumu, sensorium, voxelgram and willy jetman. so that puts me at $100 and i'll stop buying games

my steamcompletionist was above 78% and now it's back down to 77.7% (the jackpot number....)

Play
Apr 25, 2006

GreatGreen posted:

Thanks!

The other thing that always struck me about Kingdom Come is the world. How is the world exploration? How big does the world feel? One of the things that always bugs me about Elder Scrolls games (well, Oblivion and Skyrim) is that I never feel lost. The way the worlds of Oblivion and Skyrim are setup makes you feel more like you're in a really big park more than "the open wilderness." How does Kingdom Come feel in that regard?

You might like it because the mapping is pretty rudimentary (as befits the era), I feel like your icon doesn't even appear on the map although I could be misremembering. It's not an enormous world but early on you can definitely get lost and I did several times. This was before I knew it was created by shitheads though, of course

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Play posted:

You might like it because the mapping is pretty rudimentary (as befits the era), I feel like your icon doesn't even appear on the map although I could be misremembering. It's not an enormous world but early on you can definitely get lost and I did several times. This was before I knew it was created by shitheads though, of course

To be clear I don't want to be all "you can't play this game!!!!", no, I still play Battle Brothers. I don't want to end discussion, only inform it.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

GreatGreen posted:

Thanks!

It’s very easy to get lost, though the world isn’t that big, and the game IIRC doesn’t just give you markers everywhere. You can also turn on things to decrease navigation aids as well as picking up a negative perk that makes you wake up in random places because you’re a sleepwalker.

It’s a very well realised place, and the game focuses on making it feel real. If not for the questionable director, I would recommend it without reservations.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Oldstench posted:

Nioh 2? Yeah/nah?

Hard yes having just beat it. Game is insanely good and great value.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Do you need to play the first Nioh before the second one? I bought the first one a long time ago, actually liked it, but put it down for reasons I don't really remember. Is it better to go back to that first?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

To be clear I don't want to be all "you can't play this game!!!!", no, I still play Battle Brothers. I don't want to end discussion, only inform it.

Well said, we all draw our personal lines in the sand in the end but personally if I had known I would not have spent money on the game There's so many good games in the world that it's not some huge sacrifice to say no to one or two. And while a small, probably pointless gesture it's more for my own sake than anything else.

The 7th Guest posted:

alright I got draugen, even the ocean, rabi-ribi, rumu, sensorium, voxelgram and willy jetman. so that puts me at $100 and i'll stop buying games

my steamcompletionist was above 78% and now it's back down to 77.7% (the jackpot number....)

I feel like you're the only one on these forums who could list a bunch of games they bought and I don't fully recognize any of them. Some sound vaguely familiar, but still

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Do you need to play the first Nioh before the second one? I bought the first one a long time ago, actually liked it, but put it down for reasons I don't really remember. Is it better to go back to that first?

They're unrelated plot-wise I believe, you create your own character in the second one. I didn't care for either one personally but I understand why people like them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

No Nioh 2 pretty much obsoletes the first game