Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

It really depends so much on the area I suppose.

We bought our house in 2008 for $65,000. All of the houses around us are pretty much the same. Several house have been put on the market for $120,000+ but no one is buying them.

One house has been on the market since 2019 and it started at $129,000 and we have watched the asking price just drop over and over again. It is now down to $79,000.

Edit: Or my area sucks and no one wants to live in it with neighbors like my family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1412797679785099270

lmao Crystal Lake.

Why bother showing up anywhere before the districts are redrawn to save Underwood's rear end end of this year early next year.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Dexo posted:

lmao Crystal Lake.

Why bother showing up anywhere before the districts are redrawn to save Underwood's rear end end of this year early next year.

Crystal Lake is a fun choice if you want a receptive audience, lol

rachel ray romano
Jul 5, 2021

Forrest on Fire posted:

Crystal Lake is a fun choice if you want a receptive audience, lol

It's mostly demographically in line with the other suburban press-hits he's been doing this past month across the Midwest. Makes sense on a national scale/from 30,000 feet.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Yeah, we are doing a heloc thing and our house appraised for 25% more than we paid 4 years ago. The portage park area has gone absolutely nutso. I'd love to sell this thing for 450k except for the fact there is no where to buy a house for that much near anywhere I can live since I will have to keep commuting. Oh and the thing has like a 3 year value estimator and it projected the house out to like 500+. That's frankly insane.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well like all bubbles it's gonna pop and a lot of people are gonna go crazy so all that really matters is not being left holding the bag.

I certainly wouldn't be planning anything three years out or buying at these prices, but if you're in a position to sell goddamn you could make bank.

(translated: only the wealthy who could afford to hoard multiple properties are gonna see any benefit)

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

xzzy posted:

Well like all bubbles it's gonna pop and a lot of people are gonna go crazy so all that really matters is not being left holding the bag.

I certainly wouldn't be planning anything three years out or buying at these prices, but if you're in a position to sell goddamn you could make bank.

(translated: only the wealthy who could afford to hoard multiple properties are gonna see any benefit)

People who can work remotely who are moving to a cheaper area of the country as a result could also cash in.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Dexo posted:

lmao Crystal Lake.

Maybe he wants to see Jason?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Tomorrow is the first day of the Illinois vaccination lotteries. I saw a post with the phone number that they would call with and the email they would send from. Then I saw this comment beneath. Honestly, it is the first time I have watched anyone complain about the lottery.

Jows
May 8, 2002

I wanna see people ask if the state will open it up to non-vaccinated people like loving Krispy Kreme only for Big Daddy Pritz to go "lol no".

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
Illinois: we have slightly more integrity than Krispy Kreme. Sometimes.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Tomorrow is the first day of the Illinois vaccination lotteries. I saw a post with the phone number that they would call with and the email they would send from. Then I saw this comment beneath. Honestly, it is the first time I have watched anyone complain about the lottery.

These idiots will complain about anything because whoever they are they're always the most oppressed person in America today.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Source4Leko posted:

These idiots will complain about anything because whoever they are they're always the most oppressed person in America today.

YOU MEAN TO TELL ME THAT I HAVE TO PURCHASE A TICKET IN ORDER TO BE A LOTTERY WINNER!?!?!?! TYRANNY!!

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Sarcastro posted:

YOU MEAN TO TELL ME THAT I HAVE TO PURCHASE A TICKET IN ORDER TO BE A LOTTERY WINNER!?!?!?! TYRANNY!!

Did you not read? He purchased a vaccine through his tax payer money. Now, he never got one because “reasons” but that means that he should win the lottery and if not, then he is being discriminated against.

The people I do actually feel sorry for are those who, due to real medical conditions, are not able to get the vaccine. Sucks for them but, in the end, they will benefit from more people getting the vaccine.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

https://twitter.com/IDPH/status/1413248610297384961

All the winners are from Chicagoland. Must be rigged. :freep:

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Is Dekalb really considered Chicagoland?

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Oracle posted:

Is Dekalb really considered Chicagoland?

I was thinking the same thing. Next Rockford will be listed as a suburb.

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

Might as well include Bradley-Bourbonnais and Kankakee in there as well.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
College town? Close enough!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think the rule should be if you can draw on a map a straight line between buckingham fountain and main street of the town in question without touching a cornfield, it's a Chicago suburb.

Or lacking an actual main street, the geographical centerpoint of the town.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

DTaeKim posted:

Might as well include Bradley-Bourbonnais and Kankakee in there as well.

Someone once told me that Kankakee was downstate.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

It is south of I-80. To most of Chicago, that is Southern Illinois.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

If you think about it, Milwaukee is just a Chicago suburb, right?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Yeah I'm gonna have to agree with them. By Chicago rules if its south of 80... (though honestly Kankakee is even way south of 30 which a generous Chicagolander would admit is suburb)

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Rockford is considered downstate.

The only area im unclear on is like, Woodstock. Chicagoland? Probably not.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Lager posted:

If you think about it, Milwaukee is just a Chicago suburb, right?

Flying out of MKE is a pretty good, cheap lifehack.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

so did any posters win $1 million for getting their 5g

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

mastershakeman posted:

Rockford is considered downstate.

The only area im unclear on is like, Woodstock. Chicagoland? Probably not.

McHenry County borders Cook County so, yes?

But I’d agree it’s at the very limit.

Jows
May 8, 2002

xzzy posted:

I think the rule should be if you can draw on a map a straight line between buckingham fountain and main street of the town in question without touching a cornfield, it's a Chicago suburb.

Or lacking an actual main street, the geographical centerpoint of the town.

Coastal Michigan, all suburbs!

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Jows posted:

Coastal Michigan, all suburbs!

In the summer, this is definitely a true statement.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The map is really simple: if you're outside of the Chicago suburbs and your area is poor, it's downstate. Rich? Upstate

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

there are places in illinois people call upstate?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Badger of Basra posted:

there are places in illinois people call upstate?

Trick question, there are no rich places outside of the Chicago suburbs so nowhere is upstate

Now I'm wondering what the richest place is outside Chicagoland? Somewhere tiny near Peoria that has some caterpillar execs ?

Edit according to some Wikipedia per Capita income article it looks like it's Topeka Illinois, population 90, in Mason county

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jul 10, 2021

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

mastershakeman posted:

Trick question, there are no rich places outside of the Chicago suburbs so nowhere is upstate

Now I'm wondering what the richest place is outside Chicagoland? Somewhere tiny near Peoria that has some caterpillar execs ?

Edit according to some Wikipedia per Capita income article it looks like it's Topeka Illinois, population 90, in Mason county
The I-74 corridor with Peoria, Bloomington/Normal, and Champaign is up there. Caterpillar, State Farm, etc.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

mastershakeman posted:

Somewhere tiny near Peoria that has some caterpillar execs ?

Caterpillar moved it’s headquarters to Chicago. After spending 40 million on a visitors center in Peoria.
I assume there are still a number of multimillionaires living on Grandview Drive in Peoria Heights though.

Big Black Dick
Mar 20, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

That's like A dude who actually lives in St. Lucia and claims that as his residence for tax reasons.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Yeah that’s not insane by Chicago standards. Senior year at UIUC, so late enough in that most people knew not to say they were from Chicago if they were actually from a burb because like 90% of the students are from Chicagoland, I got in an argument with an idiot racist about whether African American English was “legitimate” English. Part of her defense was that she was from the south side, and my friend from the south side, hoping to diffuse the situation and find common ground, asked which part. Kankakee was the reply. The situation was not diffused.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Pontius Pilate posted:

Yeah that’s not insane by Chicago standards. Senior year at UIUC, so late enough in that most people knew not to say they were from Chicago if they were actually from a burb because like 90% of the students are from Chicagoland, I got in an argument with an idiot racist about whether African American English was “legitimate” English. Part of her defense was that she was from the south side, and my friend from the south side, hoping to diffuse the situation and find common ground, asked which part. Kankakee was the reply. The situation was not diffused.

LOL that is peak suburban so maybe it is a suburb of Chicago.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Southern Illinois schools are taking the ISBE direction of local control depending on number of cases and vaccination rates as to mean the pandemic is over and who gives a poo poo about any precautions. Good times in this hillbilly hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
This must be your "Katrina opportunity" to rebuild without pesky poor people. Or is that only for cities with black people?