Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I wish there was some sort of Will system instead of the game automatically distributing titles because it always does it in the most cack handed way possible. Like you die and then it throws you to a succession screen where you divide up your titles in way that accords with your current succession law where everyone gets x dutchies or x counties, but gives you a bit of say in who gets what. Because say I rule England and am in the process of conquering Ireland I might want Dublin to go to my primary heir along with London (or something along those lines).

Maybe you could even add in modifiers so that if your ruler had high stewardship he can buy off some of his more terrible sons by giving them extra gold in the will rather than a county or if he's got a high intrigue he can use a legal loophole to cut someone out of the inheritance at the expense of an opinion hit for his heir.

I agree, though you can certainly accomplish that now by distributing titles prior to succession.

And that "loophole" should 100% be Investiture. I say this a lot but it's insane that it's not in the game now, and equally insane how valuable Theocratic vassals are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Quorum posted:

Collective Lands brings CK3 one step closer to simulating fully manual peasant bisexual German communism, and also enabling a full Dithmarschen mega campaign.

I am living for this, I cannot wait.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

A will would be fun as an artifact as well once those get added back in. A plot to steal your predecessor's will so you can write out a sibling's claim or potentially have it blow up in your face and cause you to lose legitimacy would be fun.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

PittTheElder posted:

You can absolutely trust the in-game succession screen, it does not lie.

First off, for Confederate petition,

The way distribution works is by title tier essentially. Your top level title goes to your primary heir. If you have additional top level titles, it will give the primary title to your oldest eligible non-primary heir, then the next oldest, etc. If you have more titles than heirs, your primary heir receives a second one, and the process repeats. The distribution of top level titles will include titles that are de jure part of those top level titles, and they will be given to the appropriate heir of said top level title. There is no attempt at equity here, what matters is the top level title. This attempt at geographic coherence allows you to influence who gets what; if an eligible heir owns a county within the top level title, they will be given preference for the top level title.

Once that's done, any eligible heir who received a top level title is removed from the calculations. If there are no more heirs, your primary heir will receive all remaining titles, regardless of rank or location. If not, it moves down the tier list and repeats the process.

First, your primary heir receives a second tier title, specifically the title that contains your capital. Then it distributes remaining titles on this tier to the eligible heirs, again with the same preference for geographic coherence. If you have more titles than heirs, it wraps around again but higher level tiers of titles count against the lower tier titles your primary heir can receive. This I think is the big thing that gives people fits, but top level titles are more valuable. The process then repeats itself until you run out of titles to distribute.

You can absolutely pre-distribute titles to your heirs, and the titles they already hold will count against them in the distribution (ie. allow your primary to inherit more) as long as they remain part of your realm. If they become independent of you, the titles you've given them in advance don't count for some reason, which is I think what's giving you grief in your particular case. Luckily there are no penalties for holding too many top level titles (aside from general vassal limit), so just hang on to all of those and let succession distribute it.

Maybe lie is the wrong work. I can't trust it because it keeps changing. Like this case.
Son1 - Getting most of the good land.
Son2 - one county and creating a duchy
Son3 - one county and creating a duchy
son4 - some scraps of the good land.

Cool, I have a handle on this. I'm at like 7/4 held territories so I want to divy as much up now and get things sorted. So I create duchy 1 and give it to son 2. Then I go and create duchy 2, and when I go to double check which son should get it, I see now that it will go to son 2. Who a minute ago shouldn't have gotten anything more. So I say thats weird, and give it to son 3, like the original succession plan said.

Then I go back into the succession planner, and both of those sons, now have claims on additional claims in the good land that weren't there before.

So trying to fulfil what the succession planner told me was going to happen actually changed everything. I just disinherited those fucks so they would stop being so greedy, but I'm still trying to figure out what the hell happened.

Another weird thing that keeps happening that I don't understand is when a faction replaces my king, all vassals outside of my core duchy get taken from me and end up reporting to the new king. Is that just a part of factions replacing rulers?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

What level is your top level title? Also post screenshots.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Serephina posted:

Heir gets it all. Standard strategy is to hoard gold for your heir to buy all the mercs he needs to put down the rebellions that inevitably spring up on succession.

I had like 700 stashed away for my heir and spent it all on gifts intead of mercs because like my now murder kinslayer and slow current king i'm an idiot!! I had the ultimate Hungary and now it's ruined... I guess I will slowly take it all back with my idiot king.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

PittTheElder posted:

What level is your top level title? Also post screenshots.

I was a duke. And I didn't have screen shots because I didn't know it was going to happen. I just disinherited them and kept playing.

I'm in a similar situation now and the same thing happened. The first screen shot is the county and the duchy. Then the second is after I gave him those, and suddenly he stands to inherit more.

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Yeah it's wild that you can't make your kids bishops. That was such an integral move for the European aristocracy.

That seems prime for some dlc. It's too big a thing to just be an oversight. Same with stuffing kids you don't want in monasteries, especially in the 687 start. It's such a key part of royal dynastic power.

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jul 6, 2021

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

PittTheElder posted:

I agree, though you can certainly accomplish that now by distributing titles prior to succession.

And that "loophole" should 100% be Investiture. I say this a lot but it's insane that it's not in the game now, and equally insane how valuable Theocratic vassals are.

Yeah it's wild that you can't make your kids bishops. That was such an integral move for the European aristocracy.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah it's bizarre. It really drives home how shallow the content is; what's there works well but everywhere is completely generic.

You can appoint sons as Bishops though, as long as you have or can get counties with a Temple as the capital. Grant it to a son (possibly revoking it first) and badaboom, they're removed from succession.

Demon_Corsair posted:

I was a duke. And I didn't have screen shots because I didn't know it was going to happen. I just disinherited them and kept playing.

I'm in a similar situation now and the same thing happened. The first screen shot is the county and the duchy. Then the second is after I gave him those, and suddenly he stands to inherit more.

Ok so what you're doing "wrong" is giving away your top level duchy titles. When you do that, your son became independent (of you; that you are both vassals of the King of France seems not to matter, this is the important but sneaky distinction of Realm and Top Level Realm), and the titles you've distributed to them no longer count as "credit" or whatever you want to call it.

Instead just give them the lower county level titles, and let actual succession distribute any ducal titles.

E: just to be clear, I'm not arguing that the independence loophole isn't silly, it is, but that's how you play it "optimally"

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jul 6, 2021

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

PittTheElder posted:

Ok so what you're doing "wrong" is giving away your top level duchy titles. When you do that, your son became independent (of you; that you are both vassals of the King of France seems not to matter, this is the important but sneaky distinction of Realm and Top Level Realm), and the titles you've distributed to them no longer count as "credit" or whatever you want to call it.

Instead just give them the lower county level titles, and let actual succession distribute any ducal titles.

Is that how its intended to work? It seems like a bug that handing out the inheritance suddenly doesn't count. But at least I can avoid it now.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Demon_Corsair posted:

Cool, I have a handle on this. I'm at like 7/4 held territories so I want to divy as much up now and get things sorted.

This is a fool's errand and exactly what confederate partition is designed to prevent you from doing.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Demon_Corsair posted:

Is that how its intended to work? It seems like a bug that handing out the inheritance suddenly doesn't count. But at least I can avoid it now.

Confederate partition is "my eligible children each get some of what's left when I die". Because your highest title was duke, when you made Son 2 a duke that other duchy was no longer yours, so "what's left" became smaller, just as it would have if instead of you creating and granting the duchy, you created it and your liege immediately revoked it from you.

Moon Slayer posted:

This is a fool's errand and exactly what confederate partition is designed to prevent you from doing.
If you have an abundance of titles lower than your highest, dividing them up before your death is a good plan if you care about who gets what, though I typically hand them out to grandsons so that my sons don't get any ideas while I'm alive. Also, IIRC it's only confederate partition that creates titles 'for you', so escaping that for Partition as soon as possible is a good plan.

PittTheElder posted:

And that "loophole" [cutting one person out of the inheritance without disinheriting them] should 100% be Investiture. I say this a lot but it's insane that it's not in the game now, and equally insane how valuable Theocratic vassals are.

This is what makes spiritual-but-revocable such a great doctrine. Appoint heir as marshal or whatever, swap marshal and court chaplain positions, put old marshal back in. Now my court chaplain likes me, even though he's not going to inherit anything anymore, and while my old chaplain's disappointed, he's not an important vassal, so nobody cares.

Alternately, have a Zealous, Content son with martial training, and a holy order to stuff him in. (Content is always good for second/third/nth sons anyway.)

zonohedron fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jul 7, 2021

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah it's bizarre. It really drives home how shallow the content is; what's there works well but everywhere is completely generic.

Do you mean there should be events about ruler sons being bishops in religions where it's possible? I'm always puzzled by conplaints about the lack of content, especially compared to CK2.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Tippis posted:

Also, nothing says successful and celebrated transition as a whole bunch of bribes to a select set of complainers…

Ah, the Byzantine method of succession

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Tippis posted:

Also, nothing says successful and celebrated transition as a whole bunch of bribes to a select set of complainers…

I completely agree.

As long as those bribes come in the shape of daggers, snakes, bowmen, or manure bombs.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Communion sure is fun if you can setup your own religion with your player heir as always the head of faith lol

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Jose posted:

Communion sure is fun if you can setup your own religion with your player heir as always the head of faith lol

it is important to have it as heir, not yourself. very very important

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Why? I havent meddled much with religion creation yet

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

ilitarist posted:

Do you mean there should be events about ruler sons being bishops in religions where it's possible? I'm always puzzled by conplaints about the lack of content, especially compared to CK2.

I mean that for Theocratic faiths there should be a whole system for appointing Ecclesiastical rulers within a realm, that should naturally place them in conflict with the Head of Faith. Investiture conflicts were a defining issue of the period in western Europe, most especially in the HRE (due to the Ottonian practice of granting lands to the church to undercut the local dukes). There's also the question of whether the Pope is the true head of the Catholic world, or subject to Imperial authority, which should appear in the game but is basically completely absent.

Even ecclesiastical vassals are just idealized Norman feudal vassals, it's pretty silly.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 7, 2021

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Ah.

Well, I expect something like that to come after the things that defined the era, like the development of cities and, well, trade.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Well yeah that's sort of the issue, everywhere you look there's a desperate need for deeper systems. I think cities and trade being tossed by the wayside is very much a symptom of "treat everything as an idealized normal feudal state" disease, those guys didn't care much for cities or trade so nowhere else should either. Meanwhile if you look around the map there's all sorts of areas where the nobility was heavily involved in city building and commercial entreprise.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
So far with what I've seen of the next expansion, I trust that they'll flesh out plenty of shallow systems in the years to come.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

ilitarist posted:

Ah.

Well, I expect something like that to come after the things that defined the era, like the development of cities and, well, trade.

Yeah, trade is really lacking. Else theres little point in playing anything but a european feudal ruler or a nordic tribal right now.

On some things the game is still a long way from CK2 even. But I trust everything is coming in time

edit: also I dont know if techs are included in that culture overhaul DLC planned, but it also needs some care. Im playing a game from 870 to the tie limit, just to se how it goes, how far I can take my dynasty etc, and I finished all techs by 1250, 200 years before the time limit. It seems not ideal

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jul 7, 2021

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

I think there's no limit to what *should* be simulated in a game like that. For me CK2 felt like a kitchensink of systems and features. It's generic now, but it also means there are no places that are presented in a wrong way (except maybe nomads), just in a too abstracted way. I sure hope devs won't do CK2 wrongly applied detalization again, like a deep torture and mutilation system before they simulate economic reasons that made the world go round. And hopefully with that flexible system they won't add stuff that feels like a mod, like CK2 republics and nomads.

In general what I always felt lacking in that series is the lack of feeling of changes with the times. Like apart from your own empire the map doesn't get more centralized than it was in the time of Charlemagne. Technology is not that noticeable. Economic progress spreads more or less evenly. All you had was a spread of religious. And in CK3 some techs do feel important. Now that the next expansion adds cultural changes it should become more interesting in that regard.

ilitarist fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jul 7, 2021

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Elias_Maluco posted:

Why? I havent meddled much with religion creation yet

I think because you get overwhelmed by indulgence request spam

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

How are u posted:

So far with what I've seen of the next expansion, I trust that they'll flesh out plenty of shallow systems in the years to come.

Yeah that seems to be the idea of the game, release a skeleton that's easy to build on with each DLC/content pack focusing on a particular area.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Steely Dad posted:

I think because you get overwhelmed by indulgence request spam

Couldn't that be automated for a player? If the character has a positive view of the requester, accept it, if negative, reject it.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Charlz Guybon posted:

Couldn't that be automated for a player? If the character has a positive view of the requester, accept it, if negative, reject it.

yeah but i like denying poo poo over really petty poo poo

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
There's a mod for that, yes. Can't recall if it's ironman compatible.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Picked up CK3 a few days ago, last night I decided to jump in with Boudewijn of Flanders (natch), my heir manages to lose to a 'conspiracy' of one (1) of my vassals not thirty years in.

I have been bad at Crusader Kings forever and I'm tired of it, please give me some tips and tricks to help me survive and thrive

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Military investment: 1%
Dynastic investment: 1%
Economic investment: 98%

Someone please help me my playthrough is dying

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

dude did you just built better houses for your peasants? dude just go raid some other peasants or move somewhere where peasants have better houses dude just wow

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Phlegmish posted:

Picked up CK3 a few days ago, last night I decided to jump in with Boudewijn of Flanders (natch), my heir manages to lose to a 'conspiracy' of one (1) of my vassals not thirty years in.

I have been bad at Crusader Kings forever and I'm tired of it, please give me some tips and tricks to help me survive and thrive

Seduce your vassals

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Phlegmish posted:

Always keep some money on hand, especially when you think your character's going to die. Being able to hire mercenaries is a big boost, especially right after succession when everyone hates you. Spending on economy isn't worth nearly as much as spending on military, because having enemies inside your realm as well as outside it means that letting your guard down is even more fatal than in other Paradox games.

Guzba
Mar 21, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

Military investment: 1%
Dynastic investment: 1%
Economic investment: 98%

Someone please help me my playthrough is dying

I find that upgrading your personal demense can be a pretty worthwhile investment. Larger levies means longer periods for rebellions to fire etc. even if they're not fantastic troops. Economic buildings especially crop fields help maintain larger batches of men at arms.

Sounds like what you're struggling with is intrigue/plots at the moment though. Having a friendly relationship with your spymaster is very beneficial, toss them some gold or befriend them if you can.
Additionally make sure when you start up that they actually have a decent intrigue skill, sometimes it defaults characters into bad positions based on their stats and you can round it out by swapping people around etc.

Helping gather positive opinion modifiers helps as well. In particular going on pilgrimages as a catholic ruler lets you get a large opinion modifier for members of your religion as well as piety. (Which will help you get more taxes from your realms priests).
This trip can typically get sponsored by the pope if you ask for a handout afterwards. Typically this is pretty easy with the additional positive opinion you receive from theocratic rulers.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

In CK3 I find military alliances through marriage to be way more important than in CK2. Regularly check who you can get on side if you have spare family knocking about. This can help make sure bullies don't declare war on you while you're bullying others.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Alright, I'll give it another go. Any tips for a starting character? I always try Duchy of Flanders in these games for the memes/anachronistic patriotism, but it's literally never worked out

What are the first things you should do when starting a new game/getting a new ruler, besides getting marriages sorted?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Check any weaker neightbour you might have and create claims on their land

Also, if you got vassal counts on your main duchy, create claims on them too and steal their land for your desmene

edit: also it might be easier, and I think is more fun, if you create your own character with great stats (martial is very important at the start; high martial means you are likely to be stronger than same sized realms near you)

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 8, 2021

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

Alright, I'll give it another go. Any tips for a starting character? I always try Duchy of Flanders in these games for the memes/anachronistic patriotism, but it's literally never worked out

What are the first things you should do when starting a new game/getting a new ruler, besides getting marriages sorted?

Duchy of Munster, D. of Bohemia and D. of Sicily in 1066 are the "beginner" starts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

Making sure your councilors like you and are also talented in the first place is something I like to do to start out.

If you’re starting relatively high tier, like king or emperor, you can marry your relatives to your vassals’ families to prevent them from joining factions. More of a CYA alliance than a military one when that happens.