Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

The Black Stones posted:

Just gonna pop in here just so I don’t get any more DM’s in the future. I no longer have my copy of BSG and it will have a nice new home. Thanks for the interest!

I am very much looking forward to shooting and/or being some fraking toasters, thanks! :psylon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Arch ravels sure is a game whose theme is very nice and whose gameplay is the blandest most random rear end poo poo.

Pure single deck market row, variable player powers that barely matter, order fulfillment that lets you do more order fulfillment, completely random events that might let you get stuff or have to give away stuff or take that.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I like Archravels for playing with my mum and can see using it as a gateway game but yeah, mechanically it's nothing great.

kalthir
Mar 15, 2012

Played some Dune Imperium the other day, really liked it. Don't know if it was done earlier but the agent/reveal reward mechanic on the cards is nifty. Really nice interaction between all the different parts. This may have been due to us playing inefficiently, but we ran out of components for resources several times. That happen to anyone else? I did a cursory search on the various meeple sites looking for additional pieces, but didn't find anyone selling them (not identical wooden ones anyway ; there do seem to be a lot of custom ones on etsy). Anyone seen them for sale anywhere?

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
Lots of pleasant if not amazing boardgames lately:

Parks is gorgeous, well organised (v. nice trays) and plays about as long as the game deserves. Having said that, there's some elements that don't seem as well thought out as the rest (e.g. the bonus cards are a real crap shoot). Still, a decent game.

Master of Orion is best described as Race For The Galaxy lite, but that's not no bad a thing. Don't think the game has a huge number of plays in it, but it's currently v. cheap and thus has already paid for itself. In a few months I'll sell it on without regret.

I remember finding Food Chain Magnate a brain boiling, tough experience, thinking that I'd have to invest a lot of time into understanding it and getting good at it. A very small number of games later, I'm no master but have this creeping feeling that I've seen all it has to offer. Still fun just not the involving experience I'd hoped for.

Jaws is not a good game. But it's not an awful one either and it's ridiculous enough to entertain a few times before leaving behind.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
Yeah, I might just grab Draftosaurus because it's so cheap and the cost basically covers the dinomeeples

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Pandemic WotLK :swoon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FEFspIwUGA

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

nonathlon posted:

Lots of pleasant if not amazing boardgames lately:

Parks is gorgeous, well organised (v. nice trays) and plays about as long as the game deserves. Having said that, there's some elements that don't seem as well thought out as the rest (e.g. the bonus cards are a real crap shoot). Still, a decent game.

My spouse and I really enjoyed Parks quite a bit too! Surprisingly fun, was not expecting the mechanics to work as well as they did, especially for two. A bit bummed we bought it before New River Gorge had its designation upgraded to a National Park, so there’s no tile for that otherwise wonderful place. Otherwise I completely agree, there’s a few mechanics that could use clarification in the rules and probably some balancing that would help with the bonuses and stuff.

Haven’t seen anyone mention Dice Forge recently, that’s another fun game for a small group that we recently played. Also really been enjoying Skulls (basically bullshit the card game but with tiles), and Pirates of the Carribbean Liars Dice (circa 2006)

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013

Rusty Kettle posted:

One last recommendation for Summoner Wars. The 2nd Edition just got released and it has been getting very high praise. There is a solid online implementation that can be played against AI on Plaid Hat's website. You can subscribe to releases and about once every few months you'll get sent a couple new Summoners, which will vary tremendously.

The Arkham Horror LCG is fantastic as well, but you might want to wait for the new edition of the core set that will be released in a few months.

Summoner Wars looks interesting. I am trying a blind play against the AI right now. How are factions handled? Are they packaged separately, or is it a CCG type approach? Are the factions customizable? If so, is there at least a stock deck list for each faction to quick start a game?

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

OSU_Matthew posted:

Haven’t seen anyone mention Dice Forge recently, that’s another fun game for a small group that we recently played. Also really been enjoying Skulls (basically bullshit the card game but with tiles), and Pirates of the Carribbean Liars Dice (circa 2006)

Dice Forge is fun but has some balancing issues with a few of the base card options just being straight up better than anything else on the board. (The deer one, IIRC?)

Skulls is a great quick party/drinking game that is super easy to teach and nicely replayable, I highly recommend that one too!

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

nordichammer posted:

Summoner Wars looks interesting. I am trying a blind play against the AI right now. How are factions handled? Are they packaged separately, or is it a CCG type approach? Are the factions customizable? If so, is there at least a stock deck list for each faction to quick start a game?

Think of it like Marvel Champions. You’ll get premade expansion decks but you can also deckbuild if you want to.

The back of the new core box has deck lists on it but the decks are already assembled in the box.

They call it an Expandable Card Game but it’s basically an LCG.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

nonathlon posted:

Jaws is not a good game. But it's not an awful one either and it's ridiculous enough to entertain a few times before leaving behind.

I think the first phase is a lot better than the second, but the second is still ok enough. It's been a huge hit with non-gamers though and easily worth the < $20 the game goes for.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Bottom Liner posted:

I think the first phase is a lot better than the second, but the second is still ok enough. It's been a huge hit with non-gamers though and easily worth the < $20 the game goes for.
I keep going back and forth on Jaws. It's super cheap, which is always a bonus, but I already own Whitehall Mystery so it feels like it's niche has already been filled.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

We finally finished Pandemic Season 2 last night, squeaking out a win in late December with a count of 7 on the incident meter, but that felt more like luck than anything else. If we hadn't previously built a supply center in J'Berg & made it permanent, had a permanent broadcast tower in Lagos to send red cards, and as well as having put all the red cities into play in November with the Captain, there'd be no way to have won the game -- and that's not counting the luck needed to pull an airlift special event early because the runner died in early December. December was tuned too tightly I think; we just happened to have done those three key things required to make victory possible at all.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

How'd you like it, in the end? We never managed to get the group together for more than a few sessions, and it never *quite* landed like season 1 did.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

I need this

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
If you're looking for something cheapish for an even number of people with a nice diverse set of unique characters, take a look at Funkoverse Strategy Game.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Bottom Liner posted:

I found attractive things in both phases - the hapless response of the humans in phase 1 as Jaws chows down on the sheriff's son, and then the slowly eroding boat in phase 2.
But otherwise I agree. The price is right and while Gamers may object, it's a sufficiently entertaining and interesting game.

I find that in a lot of these hidden hunter games, there's a certain fragility. If the hunter is a little good or a little lucky, the opposition can have a terrible time chasing their tails and failing. If they're clumsy or a little unlucky, the prey flip the tables and start chasing the hunter. Jaws seems slightly vulnerable to this although perhaps not as much as other games. It's a tough genre to get right.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Admiralty Flag posted:

We finally finished Pandemic Season 2 last night, squeaking out a win in late December with a count of 7 on the incident meter, but that felt more like luck than anything else

It's been a while for me, but apparently I had similar feelings at the time, though I think overall I was fairly positive.

Still waiting on Season 0. We've got it, we just need the world to be sane enough to visit our distant friends.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

nordichammer posted:

The Master Set has 6 armies all pre-made. I don't think there is any ability to customize them with just the core.

I recommend it as an "out of the box" experience with the option to deckbuild later.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

silvergoose posted:

How'd you like it, in the end? We never managed to get the group together for more than a few sessions, and it never *quite* landed like season 1 did.

It definitely felt more difficult than season 1 (e.g., in S1 I think we went 11/12 or 12/12 on months but we dropped at least 4 months in S2; in S1 our win on 1st half of month % was higher, etc.). That difficulty ramp was frustrating but not overly so (like the end of game would have been if we hadn't been lucky). Still, I think there were some days where we played, lost twice, and decided to box it up instead of going for a third game due to getting disheartened at two brutal losses. (It didn't help that we got the second +15 cubes probably a month after we should have due to focusing on the wrong things.)

Mechanically, I think we enjoyed exploring the world and reconning new regions to add them, even if some of the discoveries weren't great (forsaken cities). The theme definitely felt fresher than S1 and yet another rage zombie virus/false flag government op to take over the world. Quality of life improvements were appreciated (in S1, I accidentally opened package 8 instead of Advent Calendar 8 because of misreading the card; S2 didn't seem to have these ambiguities). Finally, the quality of the stickers was better; the back page of the S1 manual was littered with city improvement stickers that had fallen off cards and we had Sharpied the names of those stickers right onto the cards, as they came off during shuffling. Only one S2 sticker came off of a card.

For those who have played Season 0, how would you rate the difficulty and the novelty compared to S1 & S2? (Not that I'll get to play until January, when my daughter comes home from college again; not enough time to run through it on the rest of her visit now.)

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

For the group I played all the seasons with, I would rate season 2 the hardest because of how experimental it was. It was also my favorite basically for that reason.

Season 0 is much closer to base pandemic with some interesting twists. While it wasn't in our experience overly difficult, it also wasn't a breeze. Honestly I didn't like it as much as season 2 but it was interesting and refreshing.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

OSU_Matthew posted:

My spouse and I really enjoyed Parks quite a bit too! Surprisingly fun, was not expecting the mechanics to work as well as they did, especially for two. A bit bummed we bought it before New River Gorge had its designation upgraded to a National Park, so there’s no tile for that otherwise wonderful place. Otherwise I completely agree, there’s a few mechanics that could use clarification in the rules and probably some balancing that would help with the bonuses and stuff.

Forgot to comment on this...my wife & I love Parks. Best with 3 we've found; one trick I read on BGG that works well for 2P is to always make the first seasonal chevron the Parks/Gear chevron in order to allow the 2nd player a chance to grab first hiker (otherwise the opportunity cost of visiting only one park is too great). I will agree that some of the bonus cards are worth a lot more than others, the primary weak spot in an otherwise solid game.

Oh, the other thing that drags down thegame is I never get any of the really good gear like sunshine counts as forests, but I suppose that's technically not a problem with the game per se

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Season 0 really feels like a more mature design, but still does its own share of interesting experimental twists. I think S0 is probably my favorite overall.

All three are very well made experiences that are highly polished, but to me:
  • S1 was really good
  • S2 was where they pulled out all the stops and tried all kinds of things and new directions
  • S0 is where they still manage to do new and interesting things, but with the benefit of hindsight and experience from everything prior and it shows

In S0 my wife and I -- who are above-average Pandemic players (mostly thanks to her) -- either dominate the objectives, or (twice so far) crash and burn the first game of a month horribly with little or nothing to show for it. Shoot for the stars :2bong:

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jul 8, 2021

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Rusty Kettle posted:

The Master Set has 6 armies all pre-made. I don't think there is any ability to customize them with just the core.

I recommend it as an "out of the box" experience with the option to deckbuild later.

You should be able to do some limited deck building without any expansions, but since it will necessarily involve raiding the cards from other factions it would be hard for two players to do with just the one box.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I don't feel the need to buy each new Pandemic game, because that would be pretty crazy for how little I'd actually play each one, but I wish I had enough board gaming friends who did buy them here and there that I could at least try each one once or twice. It's crazy how many iterations are out there now, but as long as they keep innovating with them, it's hard to be too upset about it.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
For those playing Pandemic 0, the main thing my group messed up was forgetting to read the debriefs for objectives we failed, so don't do that.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Gort posted:

For those playing Pandemic 0, the main thing my group messed up was forgetting to read the debriefs for objectives we failed, so don't do that.

don't forget to remember to not do that

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

homullus posted:

don't forget to remember to not do that

Don't do what Donny Don't does.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

How well does Eldritch Horror work with only two players? I'm thinking of getting a Cthulhu game and pondering between EH and the upcoming new edition of the Arkham LCG. Looking to play with my gf and possibly two other people.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I think it works fine, although I sense that the difficulty was designed with 4 in mind. Luckily you can just play two characters each pretty easily.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I played a bunch of eldritch at 2-player and usually controlled more than 1 character each; it worked fine.

The biggest problem I had with the game (and the reason I ended up selling it) is that for something that is supposed to be rich with narrative and flavor, the ends of games felt lack-luster to me. It just kinda....ends.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
We also would play 2 player EH each controlling 2 characters. It works well.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Siivola posted:

How well does Eldritch Horror work with only two players? I'm thinking of getting a Cthulhu game and pondering between EH and the upcoming new edition of the Arkham LCG. Looking to play with my gf and possibly two other people.

I would vote the Arkham LCG if you are hoping for long term support. EH hasn't had new expansions for a while, and I don't know what they will plan on doing regarding reprints. Maybe they'll continue to print all the expansions even though there is little to no new content in the pipeline.

Arkham LCG is going strong and has an active community. It could always get killed because FFG, but it's continued existence and support is much more guaranteed than EH.

Also, I personally find the LCG to be the better game.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Mm, while I normally don't really care about continued support, it would be nice if I could get at least one or two expansions at some point. My local stores are basically out of everything, but I dunno if that's because of the pandemic and the shipping nonsense.

Oh and the revised LCG will support up to four players huh...

Edit: Oh it won't be out until October. Womp.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jul 8, 2021

Quiz
Mar 1, 2004
finally
I have BSG + Daybreak and they've just been sitting in my closet for years. Wild seeing the prices on Ebay :eyepop:

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Daybreak is the only expansion I’m missing and I still rue not buying it on release

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Fate Accomplice posted:

Daybreak is the only expansion I’m missing and I still rue not buying it on release

BSG kinda gets worse with every expansion though

New Caprica and the sewage ship yaaaay

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Gort posted:

BSG kinda gets worse with every expansion though

New Caprica and the sewage ship yaaaay
Hard disagree; Daybreak fixed problems with the game (sympathizer --> mutineer) and added interesting options like Cylon leaders

And at least it didn't have "Crossroads" or whatever the trial/boxing mini game was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Exodus is the garbage expansion, yeah. Pegasus added the second ship and Treachery(!), even ignoring New Caprica (which you should do). Daybreak has the Search for Home stuff which you can and should completely disregard, but Cylon Leaders and the Mutineer are objectively great changes.