Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Here's a step-by-step video that looks legit, but no recipe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzKvTMmcTfA

From what I've read, lightly poaching the lamb in the onion, ginger, and garlic mixture is key for reducing the gamey taste. You need to search for "tonur kawipi" to find anything in English.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Hololive is pro Taiwan, boycott Hololive!

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
hey theres a bunch of new posts in this thread. nm mark as read and move on

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
or just dont post bitch

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

shuo zhua fan/polov/polo/pilaf/im sure some other names is p easy to make. sorry for lack of measuring on this, I learned it from my old landlord who was a chef in Urumqi for years in the 80s and early 90s.

you will need some fatty cuts of lamb. traditionally you'd include big ol boney pieces but as this thread hates bones you can opt to just use pieces of meat. (I also do this cuz I don't have a massive pot to fit a whole lamb shank on the bone as is tradition lol)

first you need to soak some rice, so do this first. needs to soak for 30~45 minutes total.

cut off some big chunks of fat from your lamb and separate it. you will use this to cook stuff in later.

then you blanch the rest of lamb (including any extra bones) in a pot with some slices of ginger for a few minutes. You will be using the liquid once youre done boiling the lamb to cook the rice with, so you need probably like 3~4 cups(??) depending on how much rice you're cookin. get the lamb pieces out, feel free to discard the ginger and any whole bones, and strain the liquid and reserve it.

cook the fatty lamb you separated over low heat in a big wok or pot. your goal here is to render some of fat and get a nice char on the bigger pieces. You shouldn't need to add any oil.

once that's done (4-6 min over low/med heat) add a bunch of diced onion and some garlic in and cook it for a bit, till the onion is translucent.

then add the rest of the lamb in and get it nice and seared on all sides.

add enough of the reserved liquid to cover everything (save any extra you have), mix in cumin and salt (and soy sauce if you want, idk how authentic it is), and cover and let it simmer for 15-20 min. I personally add a gently caress ton of cumin but this parts on you. I also sometimes add onion powder which is nice, or some chili powder. Also kinda up to you. I like adding a drizzle of light soy and some MSG for umami personally.

Add in sliced up carrots and if you want, raisins (raisins are very contentious. some people say you need it to be authentic, others hate it. i'm not a fan lol), let it boil for a couple more minutes.

Now you have a few options for finishing up-

1. If you want to cook it right in the wok, drain the rice you were soaking and then layer it on top of the lamb. You want a layer of like stuff below the rice here, so do NOT mix it up. You can poke some holes in the rice with chopsticks here, and you want to make sure the liquid goes to like RIGHT below the top of the rice. You may need to add more liquid here depending on how you cooked it/how much boiled off/etc....

Turn the heat down low, cover, and let it cook for like 15-25 minutes until the rice is cooked.

2. Cheat mode- transfer the lamb/carrot/etc to a rice cooker, layer the rice on top, make sure liquid is at the correct level right below the rice, poke a couple holes, etc... and then just run the rice cooker. This works about the same but unless you have a massive rice cooker it will limit how much you can cook. I have a big ol pressure cooker with a normal rice setting I use and it works nicely. (the rice mode on mine doesn't really "pressure" afaict cuz it still takes like 20 minutes)

Once it's cooked mix everything up, and serve!!! add parsley/cilantro/whatever if you want some green on top.

BONUS TIP- peel all the paper off a whole bulb of garlic and throw it on top of the rice before you cover it and start cooking. The garlic will steam and each clove will become a very soft, lamb-infused flavor bomb you can spread into your rice.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

WarpedNaba posted:

>Gets paid to play videogames

Didn't Hololive China get the poo poo slapped out of them?

Could be a gold-farmer.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I'm vaguely amazed that that's still a thing

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
100 vtubers, all in cubicles with voice modulators

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Do they have one of those "influencer houses" or is it more of a Dickensian arrangement?

EDIT: oh wow, just googled 'hololive' and now I'm on a watchlist, aren't I?

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011

bob dobbs is dead posted:

neo-neo-neo-neo-taoism. i think i got that count right

I'm still waiting for Mo-ism to make a comeback.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Do they have one of those "influencer houses" or is it more of a Dickensian arrangement?

EDIT: oh wow, just googled 'hololive' and now I'm on a watchlist, aren't I?

we're all on chinese watchlists

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Everything I know about the streaming biz I learned from Let's Game It Out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pz8tHqfsuqY

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

snergle posted:

hey theres a bunch of new posts in this thread. nm mark as read and move on

Have you considered not clicking on the thread

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me

Blistex posted:

Question: anyone have some good Chinese Lamb recipes? Preferably from the mandatory vocational school region of China. I've got chuar locked down, but am feeling more adventurous since I'm going to be butchering two.

Please share your chuar secrets.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

How are u posted:

Good for these kids! Life is about more than crushing yourself to dust to glorify Xi.

This is correct, and it was also correct in every other country that it happened in at a certain point of development. Which is a lot of them.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Achernar posted:

I'm still waiting for Mo-ism to make a comeback.

You chowderhead, why I oughta!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Blistex posted:

Snow tastes like they bottled the water they used to clean out the tanks with. I'm sure you'd die of water toxemia before feeling the effects of the alleged alcohol in it.

Question: anyone have some good Chinese Lamb recipes? Preferably from the mandatory vocational school region of China. I've got chuar locked down, but am feeling more adventurous since I'm going to be butchering two. One is going to be done western style and my wife wants to do the other Chinese style, but has never attempted such a feat. It's the whole lamb (110lbs, dressed to approx 50lbs) so there are lots of options. I'd prefer your personal experiences rather than my first results from Google.

Thanks.

asian night market here has lamb skewers, they put them on top of stone block walls over the cooking pit. wanna say it's taiwan style but i wouldnt know the difference if it was

loving good

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Alan Smithee posted:

we're all on chinese watchlists

But some of us are looking at the bars

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Goodbye, Apple Daily. Goodbye, Hong Kong

quote:

One of the marks of a totalitarian regime is that it can make anyone, and anything, disappear, any time.

Such was the case with the demise last month of Apple Daily, a raucous, pro-democracy tabloid newspaper in Hong Kong that was beloved for its coverage of the territory’s local government, and its outspoken criticism of the Chinese Communist Party.

Hong Kong’s 7.5 million residents protested and mourned the only way that is now allowed to them: By buying up all of the final issue’s one million printed copies. They are now mementos of a lost world.

Hong Kong has long been a vibrant media market, and there are still many newspapers and other news outlets operating there. But after what happened to Apple Daily, every journalist and every publisher, or anyone else thinking of saying anything that might displease Beijing, is on notice.

The 26-year-old paper closed because, one year ago last week, the CCP imposed a national security law on Hong Kong, with the aim of extinguishing the territory’s dwindling independence and ending the “one country, two systems” promise China made when it took over the former British colony in 1997.

The law, written and enacted by Beijing, created broad offences for secession, subversion, terrorism and collusion with foreign powers, with special attention to be paid to media. Its wording was at once vague and draconian, with sentences of up to life.

In mid-June, using the law as a pretext, police raided Apple Daily’s offices and arrested the editor-in-chief and five executives on absurd charges of colluding with foreign powers to harm China and Hong Kong. Authorities also froze the assets of the newspaper and its related companies.

With owner Jimmy Lai already in prison on charges related to the massive pro-democracy and anti-Beijing demonstrations of 2019, and with no money to pay employees, Apple Daily announced its closing.

Hong Kongers were shocked, the newspaper staff included. “Today’s Hong Kong feels unfamiliar and leaves us speechless,” they wrote in a public letter after the raid. U.S. President Joe Biden called it “a sad day for media freedom.”

And yet you could see it coming. Once the national security law came into being on June 30, 2020, it was only a matter of time before it was used against one of its intended targets: Hong Kong’s most outspoken media outlet.

Hong Kong Security Minister John Lee insisted that Apple Daily wasn’t punished for “normal journalistic work.” He insisted that journalists in Hong Kong are just as free as they have ever been, just as long as they “do not conspire or have any intention to break the … National Security Law.”

This is Totalitarianism 101, a clear lesson in Orwellian doublespeak. You’re free to say what you want, as long as Beijing likes what you’re saying. Say the wrong thing, and you risk becoming an enemy of the state, charged with invented national security offences.

Back in 2019, when thousands of Hong Kongers protested a proposed local law that would have allowed for residents wanted by China to be extradited to the mainland, there was always a sense that Beijing would respond by trying to crack down to some degree on the semi-independent territory.

But few imagined Chinese President Xi Jinping would unilaterally impose a law that effectively erases Hong Kong’s ability to protect one of the things that made it distinct from China: Its freedom of speech.

And when the law came into effect, few imagined that it would be used to close the leading pro-democracy newspaper – thereby warning all others to toe the line, or else.

And now, a year later, Apple Daily is gone, dozens of pro-democracy activists have been arrested, candidates for “election” must swear fealty to Beijing, local police are learning to goosestep like soldiers of the People’s Liberation Army, and the Chinese ministry that runs Beijing’s secret police – which Hong Kongers once had no reason to fear unless they crossed to the mainland – is building a massive new headquarters on the city’s waterfront.

Hong Kong is now one country, one system. Under Mr. Xi, it will never go back to the way it was. The Communist Party of China has decided that its former freedoms are too great a threat. Instead, the world, and the people of Hong Kong, should only expect things to get worse.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/editorials/article-goodbye-apple-daily-goodbye-hong-kong/

Canadian rights activist says he received death threat for support of Hong Kongers

quote:

A Hong Kong-born Canadian who has worked behind the scenes to help dissidents flee the Chinese Communist Party’s crackdown in the former British colony says a threat has been made against his life.

Paul Cheng, who is in his 60s, is a retired computer programmer in Calgary and one of the founders of the New Hong Kong Cultural Club, a Canadian group dedicated to supporting pro-democracy efforts in the Asian territory.

In late June the group received three messages via Telegram, a software application for smartphones that enables encrypted communication. The first message was a recent photo of Mr. Cheng from a Calgary protest against the Chinese government. The second message addressed him directly: “Having lots of fun, eh, Paul? Don’t blame me for reminding you that if you keep stirring up so much stuff, no one will be able to protect you.”

The third message was an extremely graphic video of a beheading.

“They are telling me to stop doing what you are doing, and the video means they will kill me,” Mr. Cheng said.

The message was written in simplified Chinese characters, which are used in Mainland China, among other places, rather than traditional Chinese characters commonplace in Hong Kong and Taiwan. Mr. Cheng said the phrasing and sentence structure was in-keeping with how a Mainland Chinese writer would communicate. The threat was unsigned, although the sender’s account also used the name Paul.

Mr. Cheng has reported the threat to the RCMP and said officers told him to call the Calgary Police Service if he saw somebody following him. Mr. Cheng said he is now making the threat public in hopes of protecting himself and his family.

Mr. Cheng said he believes the threat is an effort to dissuade people from helping activists flee. The New Hong Kong Cultural Club has been identified in Chinese media as a supporter of asylum seekers, or what pro-Beijing journalists have derisively referred to as “asylum gangsters.”

“They want to show the world that it doesn’t matter where you are, if you are helping Hong Kong you will be in danger,” Mr. Cheng said.

Mr. Cheng said Hong Kong authorities would know him because of his logistics work in support of activists. Among other things, he has arranged airfare for their travel to Canada and is listed in a government registry as a director of the New Hong Kong Cultural Club.

A crackdown on civil rights in Hong Kong that accelerated in 2020 amid the global pandemic has steadily eroded the territory’s political and social freedoms that were unique in China, a legacy of the territory’s years under British control. China had signed a treaty promising that Hong Kong could retain autonomy over local affairs as well as civil rights for 50 years after the 1997 handover. But a sweeping new national-security law imposed on Hong Kong in June, 2020, has violated this pledge. Ostensibly to target secession, subversion and terrorism, the law contains vaguely defined offences that critics say effectively criminalize dissent and opposition.

More than 45 Hong Kong activists who arrived in Canada before the pandemic have already applied for refugee status while others have been forced to wait until COVID-19 travel restrictions end.

He said neither he nor his colleagues in the China pro-democracy movement have received such a violent threat before.

Jane Lee, co-founder of the New Hong Kong Cultural Club, called the threat against Mr. Cheng intolerable. “We are in a free and democratic country,” she said. She said it’s important for critics of the Chinese Communist Party to speak out and stop this “barbaric behaviour” from being repeated.

Cheuk Kwan of the Toronto Association for Democracy in China said the death threat is one of the “most severe cases of intimidation” he has heard of targeting critics of Beijing in Canada.

“This is the first one I have seen that uses a beheading video,” Mr. Kwan said. He said this is why critics of the Chinese Communist Party live in fear in Canada. “I have encountered several Hong Kong Canadians who would not even work with us [privately] on such mundane things like designing poster or editing a video for fear that their families in Hong Kong would get into trouble.”

Last November the Canadian Security Intelligence Service told The Globe and Mail Beijing routinely uses undercover state security officials and “trusted agents,” or proxies, to target members of Canada’s Chinese community in an effort to silence critics of President Xi Jinping, including threats of retribution against their families back in China.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politics/article-canadian-rights-activist-says-he-received-death-threat-for-support-of/

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jul 6, 2021

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

CIGNX posted:

Please share your chuar secrets.

It's pretty easy.

A) You must use charcoal, sorry Hank.
B) Get spices. Mala Market has two good spice mixes that I use, sometimes you can find ones from China on Amazon or at your grocery, or just make some I guess if you're motivated. I ate bbq in Sichuan so the mix there is generally Sichuan pepper, chili flakes, ?toasted? sesame seeds, cumin, salt, white pepper, MSG. I think. All powdered up.
C) The real key is you need a little bowl of salty oil. Just cooking oil, you can use vegetable or peanut or caiziyou if you got it. Dump in a bunch of salt. The salt won't dissolve because it's oil but what you're going to do is slather salty oil on the sticks then put them on the grill. Regularly re-apply salty oil and your spice powder. Flip frequently.

It's still not quite like real street shaokao because practice and I dunno all their secrets, but the salty oil makes a big difference in authenticity.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
What's the story with Didi getting hosed this week?

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

TheBuilder posted:

What's the story with Didi getting hosed this week?

The story is I feel very vindicated even though the Chinese gov probably doesn't actually care about them harvesting user data and it has more to do with them becoming publicly traded. But they totally are harvesting a poo poo ton of user data in the sketchiest ways so gently caress em.

A while back the Chinese version of the Android Didi app (different from the Play Store version, but not in the ways you'd think. The Chinese version auto-updates itself instead of relying on an app store for updates, which is whatever, Chinese apps do that because there's no one app they can rely on for updates) got an update and started asking for root if it could. The play store version doesn't, I think because google would remove them for it. But this is the version directly from DiDi, no app store middleman.

There is no single loving non-sketchy reason for Didi to be asking for root. It's so bold. So I got ahold of customer service to ask why it's asking for root suddenly. After some back in forth (and expecting them to say 'sorry, it was in error!' or something even if it wasn't) they just go wild and start telling me the android version needs root to run, its impossible without it, and that it's because apple (?) requires it.

The audacity of it, there's like 3 super obvious lies in one sentence. I know tons of apps are like this, but it's the principle of it, that they're gonna do it and then lie to me in the dumbest way like I'm some idiot :argh:

So, gently caress Didi. I hope they burn.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Use the wechat pay interface for didi.
Sure, small increase in prices, but at least that way only one huge unaccountable tech giant has access to all of your data, rather than two.
And I mean you clearly already had wechat because who doesn't?

Man, though, earlier versions of wechat had some... messy permissions. Including some literally unnamed ones. Best assume they have everything. But, at least you get something for it. Didi do not offer enough unique benefit for that sort of crap.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Atopian posted:

Use the wechat pay interface for didi.
Sure, small increase in prices, but at least that way only one huge unaccountable tech giant has access to all of your data, rather than two.
And I mean you clearly already had wechat because who doesn't?

Man, though, earlier versions of wechat had some... messy permissions. Including some literally unnamed ones. Best assume they have everything. But, at least you get something for it. Didi do not offer enough unique benefit for that sort of crap.

Oh definitely. And obviously I'm not gonna give Didi root either way. But that's the obvious solution (not that you can trust wechat too much, at least it's not asking for root.)

But its the principle of it, and I will die on this hill >:[

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

BrainDance posted:

I will die on this hill >:[

I mean, you will if you refuse to order a didi so you can leave it!
:drumkit:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

BrainDance posted:

The story is I feel very vindicated even though the Chinese gov probably doesn't actually care about them harvesting user data and it has more to do with them becoming publicly traded. But they totally are harvesting a poo poo ton of user data in the sketchiest ways so gently caress em.

So, gently caress Didi. I hope they burn.
It really takes something to be more ruthless than noted cutthroats Uber.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Taipei Times posted:

Giant panda Yuan Zai celebrates her eighth birthday at the Taipei Zoo yesterday. The zoo prepared six bamboo tubes for her to choose from, on which were carved the Chinese characters for birthday wishes. The tube she picked read: “Reducing carbon emissions to protect the environment.”

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Shumagorath posted:

It really takes something to be more ruthless than noted cutthroats Uber.

Uber was in China for a while, got murdered and eaten by didi.
Although, that was presumably with legislative help rather than straight competition.
Hard to feel sorry for any company like that.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

oh sure so the bear drives a tesla now

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

At least it didn't pick "intensify rhe harmonisation efforts in the rebellious western province".

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Guess “Get me the gently caress out of here” was too far to reach from that rock.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Atopian posted:

Although, that was presumably with legislative help rather than straight competition.

Those were good days. Uber was so desperate trying to get in rides were essentially free for like the half-year they were competing. From what I understand both sides were also paying drivers a lot in that same time to get people to drive for them. In Chengdu, where I was at the time, a few didi or uber drivers had told me they were (at the time) being paid way more than what they were as actual cab drivers. This of course has not persisted.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Atopian posted:

That's what I was referring to. Uber does not give a gently caress about anything besides growth, to the point of being openly negligent under Kalanick, and somehow China was the one market they couldn't compete in.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
Apparently, a bunch of LGBT college weibo accounts and Wechat groups just got ghosted immediately all over the country.

Remember when it was pride month a week ago?

Remember how the Chinese government classified homosexuality as a mental illness until, like, 2005?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's one of those things where I really have no idea what their thinking is. As you point out the PRC has historically not been good for LGBT rights, but over the past decade or so they seemed to have seen which way the wind was blowing and decided to stop officially giving a poo poo. I don't get what their angle is on cracking down again, just seems like poking people in the eye for no reason.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Grand Fromage posted:

It's one of those things where I really have no idea what their thinking is. As you point out the PRC has historically not been good for LGBT rights, but over the past decade or so they seemed to have seen which way the wind was blowing and decided to stop officially giving a poo poo. I don't get what their angle is on cracking down again, just seems like poking people in the eye for no reason.
no eye

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

If you're poking them in the eye, aim lower. Unless that's their kink, I guess.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm convinced that loads of Chinese regulations stem from one person in a position of authority seeing it and getting mad. See: People eating lots of food videos and Winnie the Pooh cartoons

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I'm convinced that loads of Chinese regulations stem from one person in a position of authority seeing it and getting mad. See: People eating lots of food videos and Winnie the Pooh cartoons
Someone in the party got mad at their failson playing games through dinner:

quote:

Dozens of Chinese phone games now require facial scans to play at night
After a 2018 test, "Midnight Patrol" system officially rolls out to 60 Tencent games.
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021/07/chinas-largest-game-publisher-uses-facial-scans-to-enforce-youth-curfew/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabe Radbury
Dec 12, 2019

Marcade posted:

If you're poking them in the eye, aim lower. Unless that's their kink, I guess.

Not to derail, but LGBT is not about kink any more than being straight is. This joke is a bit tone-deaf. Anyway, carry on.