Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

pumpinglemma posted:

Wait, was he also the guy who started yelling when Qud removed some deeply tedious way of mutation scumming from unstable genome?
I don't play Qud or have any idea what you're talking about but sure, why not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

please knock Mom! posted:

packetmantis lives to get into fights in threads about unrelated stuff, don't worry about it.

Sorry for discussing a roguelike review in the roguelikes thread! I'll be sure to avoid conversations you disapprove of in the future.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Have any good "survival" focus RLs along the lines of Cataclysm DDA, Unreal World, or Neo Scavenger come out lately?

Found myself wanting to scrounge and scavenge lately. Hell, I was idly musing on an "Escape from Tarkov"/STALKER style roguelike at work today (basically Catalysm with predominantly human enemies).

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Have any good "survival" focus RLs along the lines of Cataclysm DDA, Unreal World, or Neo Scavenger come out lately?

Found myself wanting to scrounge and scavenge lately. Hell, I was idly musing on an "Escape from Tarkov"/STALKER style roguelike at work today (basically Catalysm with predominantly human enemies).

Does Door in the Woods count?

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Does it seem like caves of qud is headed for a switch release at some point? I can’t tell if this is just total speculation or not.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

tildes posted:

Does it seem like caves of qud is headed for a switch release at some point? I can’t tell if this is just total speculation or not.

Ask the dev, they're really active on both this forum and twitter.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

tildes posted:

Maybe someday but itd be post pc 1.0 if so

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Maybe https://store.steampowered.com/app/379210/Wayward/?

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Woo, first rift wizard win. It seems like some shrines can really amp a spell up to 11 all by themselves. I had a plague of filth spell with the shrine that makes monsters take fire damage every time a creature died. That was fun, but god drat does Mordred pack a punch. I had no idea what I was up against, so the next time I'm definitely grabbing a one-shot skill just to chew through that 700 hp.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

please knock Mom! posted:

Woo, first rift wizard win. It seems like some shrines can really amp a spell up to 11 all by themselves. I had a plague of filth spell with the shrine that makes monsters take fire damage every time a creature died. That was fun, but god drat does Mordred pack a punch. I had no idea what I was up against, so the next time I'm definitely grabbing a one-shot skill just to chew through that 700 hp.

plague of filth is good enough that you can win the game with it by itself with no shrines. Throw on that shrine and take melting armour and you shred pretty much everything. This is true for basically every source of fire damage and melting armour, by the way. try it with searing orb if you want the easiest possible win.

Mordred in particular gets completely hosed by it because the resistance reduction never wears off, has no cap, and doesn't reset when he reincarnates so by his last life you can easily get him to -700% resistance at which point basically any damage will murder him

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Serephina posted:

The devs themselves marketed their game in EA as "FTL, but more tactical". Their own words.

If the game's focus has shifted as they finished&polished the product that's fine, but I do remember seeing the grid combat in the demo and thinking "this sucks".

Fair enough! Not the first thing that would come to my mind but I can see why they might want to associate their game with another very successful game. And there are certain similarities besides what I said earlier, you do assign crew to either hull, squadrons or weapons and you can switch them around although normally you wouldn't. And you can take 'heat' damage on weapons or squadrons which will increase cooldowns. Main gameplay still pretty different though, and the general tone and feel is insanely different.

For a game that is REALLY a lot like FTL (and I mean, exactly like it pretty much), take a look at Trigon: Space Story on steam. lol

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

cock hero flux posted:

plague of filth is good enough that you can win the game with it by itself with no shrines. Throw on that shrine and take melting armour and you shred pretty much everything. This is true for basically every source of fire damage and melting armour, by the way. try it with searing orb if you want the easiest possible win.

Mordred in particular gets completely hosed by it because the resistance reduction never wears off, has no cap, and doesn't reset when he reincarnates so by his last life you can easily get him to -700% resistance at which point basically any damage will murder him

I assumed -resistance was capped so I didn't play much with it, but knowing this...

Also I finally assembled the soul harvest/death roulette combo, only to be beaten up by a bunch of dark-immune snakes (the other rift had dark immune enemies too). Dammit

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

FYI ADOM steam version is part of the Humble Bundle choice of this month.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I keep bouncing off Noita. I had the exact same issue with Spleunky, so I'm not terribly surprised.

That said I don't understand at all how the wand spell system works. Do projectile buffs come *before* or *after* the spell you want to buff? Shuffling the order in which my spells are loaded into the wand seems to produce wildly different results, totally incongruous to how I'd expect them to interact with each other. Simply switching two spells can turn a wand from a machine gun into something that has to reload for 3 seconds after firing off only 1 charge (but is still a machine gun if you *hold* down the mouse button instead of clicking :confused:).

I haven't managed to get very far yet as I keep dying to random stuff coming at me from off the screen so I haven't really found any of the extra-powerful stuff. It seems like the best bet for spiking the power curve is to just heavily farm stages 1-2 for gold?

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Different wands have different firing speeds and such, but it's pretty opaque and I still don't really get it tbh.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Having your modifiers to the left of your spells works, that's the normal way.

Double spell, triple spell... etc. multicast spell modifiers will take other modifiers on their left and apply them to every one of the the next 2 or 3... etc. spells.
The confusing part: multicasts can also pick up modifiers on their right, namely the ones being applied to the spells that are getting multicasted, and will apply them to the whole multicast.

If a multicast modifier doesn't have enough spells to the right of it, it can wrap around and pick up the leftmost spell(s) on the wand. This can make it so you can cast the same spell twice per reload. With a spell like chainsaw this can mean you get the delay and recharge reducing effects multiple times, which can really make a wand shoot quickly.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Noita: Highly recommend getting some 'cheat' mods and adjusting the experience to taste. I use mods that allow respawning, give me a minimap, and give TWWE at the beginning (wish a mod could make nightmare mode scale more sanely, though). Also, there's a wand bag mod for incorrigible hoarders :v:

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

I would just get a "edit wand anywhere" mod tbh. That helped me get a better understanding of how the wand system works.
The wiki also has a pretty good guide on it: https://noita.fandom.com/wiki/Guide_To_Wand_Mechanics

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Once you arrive at a temple in Noita, watch the background as you shoot your wand. It will show it the exact spell interaction that's happening.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Flimf posted:

I would just get a "edit wand anywhere" mod tbh. That helped me get a better understanding of how the wand system works.
The wiki also has a pretty good guide on it: https://noita.fandom.com/wiki/Guide_To_Wand_Mechanics

this mod isn't really cheating or buffing yourself most of the time, by the way, since there's already an immensely tedious and finicky way of achieving most of its benefits during a normal run. this just means that you don't have to do that. it's mostly a convenience thing

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I mean it's 100% cheating and buffing yourself most of the time, just like giving yourself infinite gold in a game instead of tediously grinding for it until you can buy everything would be, but obviously there's nothing wrong with that if that's how you want to roll.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Kanfy posted:

I mean it's 100% cheating and buffing yourself most of the time, just like giving yourself infinite gold in a game instead of tediously grinding for it until you can buy everything would be, but obviously there's nothing wrong with that if that's how you want to roll.

The game doesn't pause while you edit wands so you never have time to do it in combat.The main benefit of edit wands everywhere is that you can strip every wand in a level for all of its good spells. You never have to make a difficult choice about whether you want to ditch a decent wand with bad spells to grab a crappy wand with good spells that you can slot in later. This is really nice.

But the thing is: you can do this without the perk anyway, it's just really annoying. You have to skip taking a perk in the holy mountain. This prevents it from collapsing which allows you to drag wands back up into it to strip out their good spells. This is really boring and takes forever, but it doesn't cost anything other than your time. Then, once the level is clear you go back up again, take the perk and let the mountain collapse. The main benefit of the perk(and the mod that gives it to you for free) is that you don't have to do this, you can just strip wands on site.

It does give you a big benefit to exploring the rest of the world, though, since there's no holy mountains there for you to go back to. But it's gonna be a long while before any new player really gets into doing that, and for playing the game as it initially presents itself it's really more of a convenience thing.

on the flip side there's another mod out there that starts you off with another convenience perk that prevents gold nuggets from expiring and that one absolutely directly increases the player's strength because you end up with way more gold and if you find a blood money perk you'll also be able to roll around at full health most of the time.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

The collapse is triggered by passing the top left part of the inverted U shaped exit. Taking or leaving the perks doesn't make a difference. There are a variety of ways to skip the collapse depending on what kind of resources you have. Some of them don't trigger the stevari. The stevari itself can always be dealt with if you know what you're doing.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

resistentialism posted:

The collapse is triggered by passing the top left part of the inverted U shaped exit. Taking or leaving the perks doesn't make a difference. There are a variety of ways to skip the collapse depending on what kind of resources you have. Some of them don't trigger the stevari. The stevari itself can always be dealt with if you know what you're doing.
I know you can sneak out and skip the trigger if you're careful or can teleport, or you can just blast straight down if you have a way to do it and are willing to incur the wrath of steve. I could have sworn that if you didn't take the perk the thing never collapses, though. Admittedly, it's been a while.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Serephina posted:

Ask the dev, they're really active on both this forum and twitter.

Wow, you’re not kidding.

Unormal posted:

Maybe someday but itd be post pc 1.0 if so

👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

tildes posted:

On this note, are there any good actual roguelikes on switch?

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

thehoodie posted:

Shiren the Wanderer is my personal favorite. Tangledeep and One Way Heroics are also very fun.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

thehoodie posted:

Playing Tangledeep on the switch was what inspired the question. I’m a fan!

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
https://www.pcgamer.com/darkest-dungeon-2-charts-a-new-path-through-terror-in-a-roguelike-road-trip-to-save-humanity/

New Darkest Dungeon 2 info. Sounds like they've completely changed up the structure, with a "road trip" progression that they describe as Darkest Dungeon meets Oregon Trail. Super interesting!

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
I should play Darkest Dungeon again. Bounced off it the first couple times I tried but it seems like a very good game that I should like (and it appears to be on Switch, hmm.... - how is that version?)

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

thehoodie posted:

I should play Darkest Dungeon again. Bounced off it the first couple times I tried but it seems like a very good game that I should like (and it appears to be on Switch, hmm.... - how is that version?)

I bounced off it a few times and then watched someone super obsessed with it play it all the way through and there’s no way in hell I was ever gonna put that much time into it to learn all the little nuances of managing 20+ characters. I feel overwhelmed just managing 3 or so in most RPG games.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

darkest dungeon really came alive for me when I started cheating massively so if you bounced off it, try cheating heavily.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

thehoodie posted:

The Switch version is fine. Runs well, no major bugs or problems I ran into during my 10+ hours of playing it.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

The Switch version is fine. Runs well, no major bugs or problems I ran into during my 10+ hours of playing it.

Yeah, the Switch port is fine, but if you're playing handheld the fonts are really tiny and at times stuff is hard to read. I also remember the controls taking a while to get used to, it had some questionable keybinds.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Dropbear posted:

Yeah, the Switch port is fine, but if you're playing handheld the fonts are really tiny and at times stuff is hard to read. I also remember the controls taking a while to get used to, it had some questionable keybinds.

Ha i felt the other way around. Handheld was great because you could use a combo of controller and touchscreen to do stuff, but yeah the key binds while docked were annoying

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Darkest Dungeon came alive for me when I installed a mod that doubled combat speed. Egads that game is slow.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

https://www.dgbaumgart.com/articles/memories_of_dredmor1.html

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

quote:

As mentioned, I was not the first artist Nicholas recruited.

The artist they'd found before me was fantastically talented, a hundred times better than me at drawing JRPG characters and, presumably, animating them. Though that may be presumbing too much, because she never really did animate anything. And she had other problems; some kind of relationship issue saw her camping out in Nicholas' father's weird basement office for a few weeks before she went off somewhere else without telling anyone. She left behind some instant ramen, a sheef of tracing paper, a light table, a computer full of erotic Sonic the Hedgehog fanart, several yams, and perhaps two beautiful frames of animation. We never heard from her again.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

tag yourself, I'm the yam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Erotic art Sonic would draw?
Oh no Big the cat!