Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
It would be nice if they could incorporate off-site runs into future events, both to provide runners who can't make the trip and/or play games with really unique hardware setups with a showcase and also because it seems like it would give the on-site crew a breather when they have complicated things to coordinate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

JethroMcB posted:

It would be nice if they could incorporate off-site runs into future events, both to provide runners who can't make the trip and/or play games with really unique hardware setups with a showcase and also because it seems like it would give the on-site crew a breather when they have complicated things to coordinate.

Thats not really how this works, the crew would be the same ones coordinating the remote runs.

Like, right now the way this is working is there's a location where the tech crew is all in person working to take the individual runner and commentator streams and produce them into what you see.

SeXReX fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jul 7, 2021

pmcTRILOGY
Feb 9, 2014

MY BRAND!

Aye Doc posted:

the time apart will only make your's and KZ's bromance stronger

:hmmyes:

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

SeXReX posted:

Thats not really how this works, the crew would be the same ones coordinating the remote runs.

Like, right now the way this is working is there's a location where the tech crew is all in person working to take the individual runner and commentator streams and produce them into what you see.

ha, I knew I should have ended my original post with "somebody actually knowledgeable about this tell me that wouldn't be the case."

I was thinking in terms of when there was a complicated in-room hardware setup (multi-monitor/system relay races, or the Tetris Grandmaster showcase from a few SGDQs back where it took over half an hour to get the finicky arcade board working with the streaming setup) but also realize that trying to get a remote stream going at the same time would just create a new workload for a different part of the team.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Bruceski posted:

On the one hand yeah, on the other hand it's opened GDQ up to people who simply couldn't do runs before so I hope they find some way to integrate remote runners.

sure, i totally love that games and runners we might not see at an in-person gdq event are able to be showcased here, and i also agree that it'd be rad to incorporate some remote runs into future gdq events for that reason.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Back when in person turnout for the event series I help run was way lower (and I was the only one willing to be awake overnight) we did partial remote runs. The only way it can really work is to switch to it for a large block of time going back and forth would just be absolutely awful.

It would absolutely obliterate the in person crowd energy level which is already low enough during overnight

On a related note for our return to housing in person events I pushed to have both a VR run and a vtuber runner to set up because I "solved" regular setup and made things too boring for myself by only having small fires at all times instead of huge ones.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

SeXReX posted:

Back when in person turnout for the event series I help run was way lower (and I was the only one willing to be awake overnight) we did partial remote runs. The only way it can really work is to switch to it for a large block of time going back and forth would just be absolutely awful.

It would absolutely obliterate the in person crowd energy level which is already low enough during overnight

On a related note for our return to housing in person events I pushed to have both a VR run and a vtuber runner to set up because I "solved" regular setup and made things too boring for myself by only having small fires at all times instead of huge ones.

Has anyone done a writeup on how GDQ does its tech setup, especially in the age of remote running? It's kind of amazing how dozens of runners in different countries with different home setups can generally still get their cam and game feeds into whatever GDQ's using to output, in decent quality with little audio/video lag or buffering.

I know there are sometimes tech issues, but to the viewer that seems to be the exception rather than the rule.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

WhiteHowler posted:

Has anyone done a writeup on how GDQ does its tech setup, especially in the age of remote running? It's kind of amazing how dozens of runners in different countries with different home setups can generally still get their cam and game feeds into whatever GDQ's using to output, in decent quality with little audio/video lag or buffering.

I know there are sometimes tech issues, but to the viewer that seems to be the exception rather than the rule.

The short version is everyone streams their bit of it and tech basically watches the streams and does a screen capture of it. All the various audio feeds get pumped into a physical analog mixer so they can balance and apply compression or noise removal as needed.

Everyone streams with a clock in the corner so they can sync, even commentary/hosts who are broadcasting literally just the clock. Runners use various means to split the audio so that the left and right channels have only microphone and Game sounds. Everyone is sitting in a discord call so they can hear each other but isn't actually broadcasting the sound of everyone talking. The runner will also generally use discord screen sharing so the commentary can watch

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

They could potentially just abandon late night (like, 12-6am) in person slots entirely and do remote runs - an engaged remote run is way better than a tired audience free in person run, it's a decent sized block, would give a bit more of a break for in person production, and keep up the idea of opening it for those in other time zones. The other solution I guess is to have a third marathon dedicated to remote runs, but that has it's own organisational costs.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Deformed Church posted:

They could potentially just abandon late night (like, 12-6am) in person slots entirely and do remote runs - an engaged remote run is way better than a tired audience free in person run, it's a decent sized block, would give a bit more of a break for in person production, and keep up the idea of opening it for those in other time zones. The other solution I guess is to have a third marathon dedicated to remote runs, but that has it's own organisational costs.

What if I told you they broadcast remote content most days, year round and also the frame fatales marathons are already hybrid.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Deformed Church posted:

I feel like a third marathon might be overdoing it. Aren't there already hotfixes and stuff that's remote? Like the Houston one from a few years ago, it was sort of an impromptu GDQ to help with disaster relief for that city. It was nice, and it's probably the best way to have more GDQ outside of A & S.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Yeah I'm not an insider just someone with lots of friends who tell me things off the record who also has been helping run out running their own events for 7 years but I can say with confidence that adding any more events would basically require a whole different team of people working on them, 6 months between events is nearly too much as it is.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I feel like a third marathon might be overdoing it. Aren't there already hotfixes and stuff that's remote? Like the Houston one from a few years ago, it was sort of an impromptu GDQ to help with disaster relief for that city. It was nice, and it's probably the best way to have more GDQ outside of A & S.
Yeah, there's tons of online stuff via GDQ Hotfix - typically around 5 times per week in the evenings they're showing some kind of remote runners doing speedruns. The Hotfix shows don't get the same viewership or hype of the Marathons, nor do they have remotely the same build-up (looking at the website, I honestly can't even find a list for which specific games are being run on Hotfix next week), but it's certainly available.

MagusofStars fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jul 7, 2021

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

After this it's time for some GeoGuessr.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

SeXReX posted:

What if I told you they broadcast remote content most days, year round and also the frame fatales marathons are already hybrid.

Yeah I watch it fairly frequently. The regular content is a very different setup to these remote marathons (or what would be the point in the marathons at all), and the frame fatales events are not produced as main GDQ events.

My point is that every solution to having remote runs at the in person events basically boils down to "what's the least damaging way to do this." The choices are compromise the regular events, do separate events, or don't do remote runs as a part of the main marathons. I think the first one is a non starter, the second is costly as I said (it doesn't take insider info, they've never hid the fact they're already stretched), and not doing them is basically the only realistic move.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

TeaJay posted:

After this it's time for some GeoGuessr.

I'm legitimately excited to see this run.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Arrrthritis posted:

I'm legitimately excited to see this run.

I wonder how they're gonna do it. If they just go for a random seed, a perfect score might take a while if they are dropped into some Brazilian or Russian in the middle of nowhere.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

I fuckin love Geoguessr so I'm excited but I have a feeling this run is going to be a lot of starting over because of middle of nowhere seeds, if it's random.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Is there anywhere I can find like, a list of all the games GDQ has done through the years? I want to check if some games I want to try have been run before

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Flesnolk posted:

Is there anywhere I can find like, a list of all the games GDQ has done through the years? I want to check if some games I want to try have been run before

https://gdqvods.com/

Would this help?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Game&Shout in this prize segment just like: "I'm not owned. I'm not owned."

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

I'll try it and find out! There's some games I'm interested in that I don't think have been run at GDQ and I'm surprised, especially since they don't seem to care about how long the game is - that Golden Sun run was almost six hours after all.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

People are already going crazy from his demonstration

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

And BATMAN immediately, lol

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Batman *is* (Adam) West

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

how do people do this jesus christ

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

I'll never be this good :negative:

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Playing GeoGuessr teaches you a surprising amount of geography. And stuff like "Taxis in Ghana have yellow replacement sheet metal parts"

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I love how Havrd says N America is his weakest area and the chat is immediately going THIS IS SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA

e: Come on it's not kilometres in NA

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
I mean, this middle of the desert one is a fairly tricky one, not a lot to go on...

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

the spiritual successor to Desert Bus

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

TeaJay posted:

I love how Havrd says N America is his weakest area and the chat is immediately going THIS IS SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA

e: Come on it's not kilometres in NA
Mexico and Canada use Kilometers.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Oh, I finally get how he's checking the direction of the road (set the compass to north in street view, look straight down, compare the road marking to the inset map)

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

This runner is much better at geography than I will ever be.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
The world record is three minutes?!

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

This is pretty tough, when it's nothing but straight road for miles

Flesnolk posted:

The world record is three minutes?!

It requires quite a lot of luck with the RNG, to get the kind of maps you can immediately tell where you are.

e: Oh hell he got 5000 from that one too :D

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Holy gently caress

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Wrex Ruckus posted:

the spiritual successor to Desert Bus

Too many turns. Since it's related - Desert Bus for Hope 2021 will be on Nov 12.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

The road direction trick is great. This is going to kick me off on some Geoguessr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

"These suburbs are the worst thing to figure out in the history of the world"

It LOOKS like Abuja