Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Summer Games Done Quickl 2021 Online is over! A big thank you to everyone who helped out in raising just shy of 2.9 million dollars for Doctors Without Borders!

(Placeholder downscaled Twitter-sized banner until I can find the regular-sized ones)
(I never found the regular-sized ones)

A year since the first online GDQ, and as it's still not deemed safe to have an event in-person, we're doing it online for the third time. If everybody can just speedrun getting vaccinated, maybe it'll be back to a physical event next year.

But for now, you will just have to enjoy this online edition of Summer Games Done Quick 2021! Happening July 4th-11th, and benefiting Doctors Without Borders, and all that stuff you know and love.

====================

The usual things are all as you remember them, including a schedule for you to study, that conveniently enough adjusts to your time zone. As always, slight variances are to be expected, but in general, you should be able to assume that nothing will start long before it's scheduled. But be there in time anyway.

Ways to watch involve the GDQ website, as well as the GDQ Twitch page. If you're just going to be watching through a browser, the website is recommended.

Even more recommended is to just watch it through whatever media player you prefer, by using Streamlink and Streamlink Twitch GUI! They're quite simple to install and use. Make sure you're using the latest versions of both, Twitch likes loving with stuff that makes older versions choke.

Whichever way you choose, you're gonna miss things. So you'll end up with a list of runs to catch up on, which you will be able to do on the GDQ Youtube channel, and to find things easier there is the fantastic site GDQ VODs, maintained by fellow goon Steve Holt!.

For what you don't miss, part of the fun is talking about it with other speedrun nerds. Forget about Twitch chat and swing on over to IRC and/or Discord, in the following places:

GDQ IRC: #sdamarathon at irc.quakenet.org (not GDQ official anymore, has been taken over by myself and anton and is now the Speedrunning marathon channel on Quakenet.)
Direct linkQuakenet Webchat
GDQ Discord

Goon IRC: #speedruns at irc.synirc.net
Direct linksynirc Webchat
Goon speedrunning DiscordSpeedfriends Shitposting

====================

I don't know if anyone needs the history lesson anymore, but I'm putting it here anyway for the one person who found this thread and has somehow not actually heard about GDQ before.

Games Done Quick first came into being in 2010 with the very first GDQ marathon, Classic Games Done Quick, broadcasted from Mike Uyama's mother's basement. It has vastly outgrown its humble start and now hosts two big Games Done Quick marathons annually, plus some shorter marathons like Frame Fatales and a couple of one-off Charity events, along with a whole bunch of other speedrunning content every week on their Twitch channel.

The two main GDQ events are currently the largest global fundraising events for the charities they benefit. AGDQ 2014 was the first time any GDQ event broke one million dollars in donations for a single event, and SGDQ 2019 was the first to break three million. The current lifetime total of donations to GDQ event is over thirty million dollars, with said thirty million mark having been reached during AGDQ earlier this year.

All of the money raised during Summer Games Done Quick goes directly to Doctors Without Borders. There is absolutely no cut taken by any event staff or participants. Some of the organizers do get paid for their involvement, but this is not via any cut of the donations. Games Done Quick has simply grown so large that making sure that these events can happen as they to biannually is essentially a full-time job for many of the core staff, so some of them are employed by the charity to make sure that it can happen.

The staff always try to make sure that the quality of the stream is as good as it can be. Mistakes can always happen with all the tech involved, especially for an online marathon. Delays and unforseen problem are not unlikely to occur. Please be patient when this happens, it's definitely even more frustrating for the runners and staff than it is for you as a viewer!

====================

Now then, let's get to donating, and the first place to go for that is the Summer Games Done Quick 2021 Online donation tracker page! Click the big green Donate button to make your donation. You can also leave a comment, check out what prizes you'll be eligible for, and also put your money towards some donation incentive or bid war or such. If you're lucky, and you left a good comment, it might even get read out on air! Don't count on it, though. Too many comments for that.

Aforementioned incentives are various bids related to runs and games, where you can chip in towards things like naming a character, picking game modes, playing extra levels, and even add games to the schedule. There's a wide variety of them and you can find them on the SGDQ 2021 bid index.

On the tracker you can also find the prize index! A list of all the raffle prizes you can become eligible for by donating the right amount at the right time. The buy-in for most of them is in the range of $5-$25, with a few in the range of $30-$50. There are also two grand prizes that you'll be eligible for if you donate a total of $250 across the entire event, no need to do it in one go.

So what do we have this time?

A blob.

A brain.

A book.

A bag.

A ball.

A bad graphics.

A ball. Again.

A boss selection screen.

A bug clock.

A bonfire.

But if you don't wanna take your chances on a raffle, and instead want to just directly exchange money for goods and services but also give to charity, you can do that as well in the two usual ways! If you're in the market for shirts then you want to check out The Yetee's SGDQ collection, and if you're in the market for... well, a variety of stuff, you want to check out Fangamer's GDQ collection. A portion of the sale of each item from both will go directly to Doctors Without Borders!

====================

These days infrequently asked questions:

Q: What runs should I watch?
A: This question has no answer. Read the schedule. Find games that you're interested in, or that you think will be interesting. Thread should hopefully have some recommendations over the course of the marathon. Silly Games block is normally great though.

Q: Will ____ be featured?
A: Check the schedule. If they're not listed as a runner or commentator, it doesn't really matter if they're there or not. There's been some, let's say, controversial runners/commentators in the past—it's for the best if we don't bring that up.

Q: Why isn't ____ on the schedule?
A: Because there's simply not enough room for it. GDQ has grown so much that it's not even remotely possible to let everyone who wants to attend have a game on the schedule anymore. There's going to be hundreds of people there, and while not all of them are runners, many games and people have had to be cut from the schedule to fit it into a weeklong marathon.

Q: What's this about GDQ banning fun?
A: Just a silly misconception. There's no fun police, and certainly no rules in place that state everything has to be super serious and clinical. A rule that is in place is that people on camera who aren't the runner shouldn't be taking focus or attention away from the run or the runner(s). When you're an event the size of GDQ, allowing people to do whatever they want on camera just isn't possible... not that that applies as much to this particular marathon.

Q: Where is this happening?
A: In cyberspace.

====================

And that's all I've got! Now just remember why we're all here. To talk about playing video games fast for a good cause. Please, do not use this thread to bring up drama, old or new, about marathons or runners or anything related. In here, we talk about the speedruns and the marathon. More than anything else, please be respectful towards everybody involved in this event, be they organizers, runners, commentators, announcers, or just watchers. We're here to have a good time.

If there's anything you're wondering about the event or GDQ, just ask! There's a number of goons that are involved with GDQ itself, and more that are just general speedrun enjoyers. So there's a lot of people who can answer whatever questions you might have, either in this thread, in any of the chat channels mentioned above, or in the speedrunning thread that you're very welcome to swing by!

So let's enjoy another marathon together!

====================

Past marathon threads
AGDQ 2012 | AGDQ 2013 | SGDQ 2013 | AGDQ 2014 | SGDQ 2014 | ESA 2014 | AGDQ 2015 | ESA 2015 | SGDQ 2015 | AGDQ 2016 | SGDQ 2016 | ESA 2016 | AGDQ 2017 (Chat) | SGDQ 2017 (Chat) | ESA 2017 | HRDQ | AGDQ 2018 (Chat) | SGDQ 2018 (Chat) | ESA 2018 (Chat) | GDQx 2018 (Chat) | AGDQ 2019 (Chat) | ESAW 2019 | SGDQ 2019 | ESA 2019 | GDQx 2019 | AGDQ 2020 | ESAW 2020 & FF 2020 | CRDQ | SGDQ 2020 | AGDQ 2021

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jul 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Recommended runs
F-Zero GX by 1davidj
Mega Man X race by darrenvile, Tiki, Clipper1, and Luiz Miguel
K-Shoot Mania by silentblackrat
Nintendogs by ZooKetra
Ninja Gaiden by Edo_87
Ghosts 'n Goblins Resurrection by TheMexicanRunner
Record of Lodoss War: Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth by BOWIEtheHERO
Shadow of the Colossus by TikTak
Super Mario Odyssey by Dangers
Paper Mario by JCog
Gone Golfing by teddyras
Teardown by thewaffleman
Battletoads by TheMexicanRunner
La-Mulana Remake by Timopy
Grand Theft Auto III by KZ_FREW
Little Nightmares II by Kenhie
GeoGuessr by havrd
Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time by Jordy925
The entire Silly Block, starting with Untitled Goose Game co-op by Thundar001 & Tasselfoot and ending with Time Gate: Knight's Chase by arnaud33200
Sonic 3D Blast 2 players 1 controller by AmberCyprian & TGH
Vanquish by DECosmic
Doom Eternal: Ancient Gods 1 and Ancient Gods 2 by BloodShot9001
Halo 2 by Monopoli
Streets of Rage 4 by themightybill
Timeline by havrd
Celeste custom maps by frozenflygone
Sonic Heroes TAS by Tales98 & Malleo
DanceRush Stardom showcase by Ejiken
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild by Johnnyboomr
maimai FiNALE exhibition by Starrodkirby86
The*Bishi Bashi by billyjr82
Spongebob's Truth or Square race by Jaxter & BubbleBass
Storks and Apes and Crocodiles by SuperBen
Let's Give Up by MrMightyMouse
Pokémon Emerald by AmoebaUK
Super Mario 64 blindfolded by Bubzia

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Jul 19, 2021

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

That time already? Good.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Dear lord that Hollow Knight clock, be still my beating heart.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Also obligatory: when's the silly block?

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
I am looking forward to seeing Arabian Nights again. I wonder what's changed in the route since last time?

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Kikas posted:

Also obligatory: when's the silly block?
Thursday, starting with Untitled Goose Game (or Fight Crab, but UGG is probably where it's at on purpose) and ending with, I'm guessing, Time Gate: Knight's Chase.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Looking forward to this. Should be a great week, thanks for posting the new thread.

Minor nitpick, there's some missing url tags in the part of the intro where you talk about GDQ YouTube channel and gdqvods.com.

quote:

Whichever way you choose, you're gonna miss things. So you'll end up with a list of runs to catch up on, which you will be able to do on the url=https://www.youtube.com/user/gamesdonequick/]GDQ Youtube channel[/url], and to find things easier there is the fantastic site url=https://gdqvods.com/]GDQ VODs[/url], maintained by fellow goon Steve Holt!.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
I'm buying many shirts this year. That MGS3 is a must have.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Oops, two [ had fallen away somehow. Fixed!

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
Some of the runs I'm interested in seeing this week.

(Today! 7/4) FZero GX normally has an extremely high skill cap to just finish the full suite of modes, but there's a physics corner case in the engine that gives you huge speed boosts by sliding back and forth as you play (snaking) and learning to drive flawlessly at 2-10 times the intended driving speed on an already fast game sends the execution to another universe.
Snaking does not render the player infallible while they perform it; while it does allow players to travel extremely fast, the constant use of slide turns while steering can put the player at significant risk of crashing into walls, obstacles, or other racers, which can potentially undo any of technique's benefits. Furthermore, running into walls at an extremely high speed will wear down the player's energy much faster than usual, putting players who snake at a high risk of retiring. Outside of the game, a number of players have reported that snaking can make their hands hurt, as it involves rapidly moving their fingers in a variety of unnatural positions.

(Today, 7/4) Metal Wolf Chaos was a Japan-only Xbox release by From Software.
The player takes on the role of fictional President of the United States Michael Wilson piloting a mech to battle the rebelling military led by fictional Vice President Richard Hawk.

(Tuesday 7/6) Gone Golfing I know nothing about it other than its apparently a horror game and the mascot has swag as donation incentives, so I'll be checking it out.

(Tuesday 7/6) Battletoads by TheMexicanRunner is going to be a very good run.
A consumer guide named The Winner's Guide to Nintendo (1991), published upon the game's release, admitted the Turbo Tunnel level to be "one of the toughest challenges of any NES game."

(Wed, 7/7) Twinkle Star Sprites is a vertical scrolling shmup versus game.
Like certain puzzle versus games, defeating enemies in your lane sends them over to your opponent. There is a 1- player mode, with the same mechanics, just with a CPU opponent.

(Thurs 7/8) Link: The Faces of Evil All cutscenes. Infamous for the CD-I animation.

(Thurs 7/8) Arabian Nights

(Fri 7/9) Factorio This is a factory/automation game, and it's not the sort of title you usually seen speed-ran. This will likely either be very interesting or very not-interesting.

Saturday (7/10) Super Mario 64 Bubzia 70 Star Blindfolded The 16 Star run by this runner was the best run of AGDQ, and now they are running a 70 star blindfolded run. This is a must see run.

I Greyhound fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 4, 2021

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

I've got off this week so this is the first marathon in a while I'll actually be able to watch live. Looking forward to the silly game block, and I'm also curious about how a couple of the runs will go (GeoGuessr, Outer Wilds 100%, SMB3 co-op).

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!
Greetings from the GDQ Studio! I'll be stream tech once again for the morning shift, as well as host for Bayonetta Monday evening.

We will be live soon with the countdown. Get hype!

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

Musical_Daredevil posted:

Greetings from the GDQ Studio! I'll be stream tech once again for the morning shift, as well as host for Bayonetta Monday evening.

We will be live soon with the countdown. Get hype!

Best of luck! May all the technology work as intended!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

fun little split screen wrong warp there

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

The 7th Guest posted:

fun little split screen wrong warp there

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Okay that opening bit was pretty funny.

Sadly there's no Yetee designs (again!) that immediately jumps out as must-buy. Haven't got a shirt from previous events, so I was kinda hoping to get one now. Maybe the Ristar one.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i can't wait for the geoguessr speedrun which is just a person going "yeah that's ireland", "ok that's canberra"

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
gdq ftw

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

TeaJay posted:

Okay that opening bit was pretty funny.

Sadly there's no Yetee designs (again!) that immediately jumps out as must-buy. Haven't got a shirt from previous events, so I was kinda hoping to get one now. Maybe the Ristar one.
i'll get the RE7 shirt, the goose shirt, the ristar shirt and maybe the megaman one

Mal-3
Oct 21, 2008
SM64 70 star blindfolded? :stare: I thought the 16 star blindfolded run was loving witchcraft.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Its the best week of summer. Hell yeah

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

i like watching games played fast

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
Looking forward to that Arabian Nights run!

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Scrolling past dialogue fast

And jumping

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

I got four shirt this year, Metal Gear, Mega Man, Twinkle Star Sprites, and SPEEDRUNNNING! because I've got the previous ones and like Mario 2 is good.

Also got the trackpants from Fangamer to match my hoodie.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

I have never seen a Geoguessr speedrun and am intrigued at the concept.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

The logistics of this run must be an absolute nightmare

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Mid run version change. What?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

nice, a donation from j kyle pittman (super win the game dev)

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
I love when speedruns do weird poo poo like change game patches partway through the run. (Well, this is the first time I've seen that happen, specifically.) Makes it seem even more like video game wizardry.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

MatchaZed posted:

I got four shirt this year, Metal Gear, Mega Man, Twinkle Star Sprites, and SPEEDRUNNNING! because I've got the previous ones and like Mario 2 is good.

Also got the trackpants from Fangamer to match my hoodie.

How can one person wear that many shirts?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

drat this was fast

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

imagine playing DA inquisition for 500 hours and not being a speedrunner

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Nemo2342 posted:

How can one person wear that many shirts?

That's the speedrun.

I'm hype as hell for this year's event! I'm hosting for Silly Block on Thursday morning and some other guys on Saturday. Y'all hang out and donate to a good cause!

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

The real feat is remembering all those names

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
OK, it was worth the wait to see one of the worst end bosses in a modern fantasy game twang off into the far distance

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!
So, the next runner was asleep. A bunch of people tweeted at them to wake up. They did and proceeded to respond to someone's meme account.

https://twitter.com/BigIaw/status/1411731048090767368?s=19

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Musical_Daredevil posted:

So, the next runner was asleep. A bunch of people tweeted at them to wake up. They did and proceeded to respond to someone's meme account.

https://twitter.com/BigIaw/status/1411731048090767368?s=19

Oops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

i was wondering why they got pushed back