Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Had to deal with family for a few days so hadn't seen the show. How did Great White Way get to be a triple stumper? Ah well...

IMO Dr. Gupta clearly isn't phoning in his hosting job unlike his CNN counterpart. A nice cadence that lends itself well to presentation though he's a old hand at that. He and Samantha seem to be on the same level which is likely above Ken at this point if it wasn't Jeopardy! At this point, 5 seem to be in contention for the job and everyone else can go back to their lucrative careers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Eternally annoyed at contestants who, in a category where all the responses are already questions, still add "what is" instead of being fun and leaving it off.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
This Gupta guy makes a lot of distracting faces.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
My wife is going to be on Jeopardy next Wednesday :woop:

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Golbez posted:

Congrats!

Also, I couldn't believe they gave them "night oil" as a correct answer.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Golbez posted:

Nice! As in taping next Wednesday, or airing? If the former, good luck to her! If the latter, retro good luck!

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

HookShot posted:

Nice! As in taping next Wednesday, or airing? If the former, good luck to her! If the latter, retro good luck!

Taped back in March, after auditioning 5 times over 12 years. (I'm only on my 3rd)

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Golbez posted:

Taped back in March, after auditioning 5 times over 12 years. (I'm only on my 3rd)

This gives me hope, as I've given up on this round (3rd audition in 15 years, 4th if you count the teen tournament audition in HS) and am trying to figure out when I'm eligible to take the test again.

I haven't been eager to do it too soon, though, as I really want the permanent host thing settled first. I've honesty wondered if I had finally gotten on after trying for so long only to find "Dr." Oz on set if I would have just walked out.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Golbez posted:

This loving rules. Congrats !

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Golbez posted:

Helllllllllllll yeah!

BaronVonVaderham posted:

This gives me hope, as I've given up on this round (3rd audition in 15 years, 4th if you count the teen tournament audition in HS) and am trying to figure out when I'm eligible to take the test again.

Austin Rogers said he auditioned like seven times, so maybe there's some truth to the idea that it's just not your time yet since I can't imagine him missing on either personality or knowledge. I got through on my second by spending the entire audition pretending I was standing across the parking lot from the casting folks and yelling *literally* everything I said at them. It felt immensely stupid and then they called me and said "hello please be on jeopardy"

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Blessings upon Sanjay for being the only guest host so far who can add more contextual information onto a correct response without sounding like a turd.

He's clearly not super comfortable doing the contestant interviews, though, just absolutely milquetoast for that section.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Spokes posted:

Helllllllllllll yeah!

Austin Rogers said he auditioned like seven times, so maybe there's some truth to the idea that it's just not your time yet since I can't imagine him missing on either personality or knowledge. I got through on my second by spending the entire audition pretending I was standing across the parking lot from the casting folks and yelling *literally* everything I said at them. It felt immensely stupid and then they called me and said "hello please be on jeopardy"

I remember them saying at my last audition that James only got through on his 5th try. If that creepy weirdo can do it, I guess anyone can.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Dr. Gupta is rapidly climbing the ranks for me. I'm enjoying his quips and personality.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
One of the contestants got credit for a response containing a word written "Univesity" in FJ tonight, which tweaks me just a little bit

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

banned from Starbucks posted:

Dr. Gupta is rapidly climbing the ranks for me. I'm enjoying his quips and personality.

yea I'm enjoying him, not my fave but he's been pleasant. I don't really watch his stuff but I knew he wasn't an Oz level huckster so I wasn't expecting the worst, but he's surpassing my low expectations of 'probably will be boring and awkward'.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
I don't know how much is bias for a fellow Portlander, but I'd really like to see Courtney's streak keep going awhile!

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
I hope not since she's up against my wife Nikole today. :holy:

Golbez fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jul 7, 2021

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Golbez posted:

Oh poo poo that’s right. Def gonna watch this !

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Golbez posted:

so cool! i hope the viewing experience is a blast

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Gupta's a fuckin weirdo.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Golbez posted:

Her interview story was cool. Rooting for her!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Golbez posted:

I’m about a week behind right now but I will be cheering for Nikole when she’s on my catch up schedule!

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Congratulations to your wife. A real easy final I thought but the leader just didn’t know.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

The Sean posted:

Gupta's a fuckin weirdo.

Finally someone else who sees this.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Zero One posted:

Congratulations to your wife. A real easy final I thought but the leader just didn’t know.
Under the lights I can certainly imagine second guessing them having a 2017 number one album, or just forgetting they they existed for 30 seconds

Congrats!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Under the lights I can certainly imagine second guessing them having a 2017 number one album, or just forgetting they they existed for 30 seconds

Congrats!

I didn't get it, mostly because I really hate U2 and can't fathom that they'd have one number 1, let alone 8, so I was thinking Sting as well :negative:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Congrats!

Yea it was a solid 'aw gently caress I dunno who's a band from the 80's with a guy who used a dumb fake name' guess.

Congrats to Wife of Goon! Her interview part was sweet!

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Sting and The Police were my guess, even though I knew they didn't fulfill all of the clue.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Lol wasn't that latest U2 album only a "hit" because they preloaded it on every iPhone and counted it as a sale.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Lol wasn't that latest U2 album only a "hit" because they preloaded it on every iPhone and counted it as a sale.

That'll probably do it. It was less preload and more had all iPhones download it regardless of desire or cell plan.

A win is a win so Congrats! That's 2.5 goons with J! wins

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

I almost feel embarrassed for knowing this, but the 2017 release they referenced was the follow-up album to the one with the stunt release. I'm genuinely surprised it was a #1 album, but I guess that doesn't really mean much these days.

Golbez posted:

Congrats to her! Glad I didn't jinx it!

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

I thought that would be the case, but that one only hit #9 on Billboard. The next album, Songs of Experience, hit an honest #1.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Golbez posted:

Congrats !!!!!

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Congrats Golbez

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Golbez posted:

I thought that would be the case, but that one only hit #9 on Billboard. The next album, Songs of Experience, hit an honest #1.

Jokymi posted:

I almost feel embarrassed for knowing this, but the 2017 release they referenced was the follow-up album to the one with the stunt release. I'm genuinely surprised it was a #1 album, but I guess that doesn't really mean much these days.

Huh go figure. I guess people still like U2.

Also congrats on the win!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Huh go figure. I guess people still like U2.

I don't understand it. I guess The Joshua Tree being considered a Christian album in the early 90's garnered some fans.

I did have a woman that really liked me in my 30's, but it would have never worked out, because she was really into U2.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

"Beautiful Day" was a monster hit and that was 2000 so that must've got them some newer fans. Couple other tracks off that album were hits too.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Cyril Sneer posted:

Finally someone else who sees this.

I feel like he's someone who memorized how to be a person. Not the worst host so far but just weird.

Worst for me in no specific order are Gupta, Guthrie, and Bialik. My favorite was the football guy. He seemed really genuine and didn't give lovely commentary. Like I get when someone has the wrong answer but some of the hosts are kind of lovely about it and Rogers seemed to be like "I'm really sorry you got that wrong" instead of dunking on the contestant. Couric was pretty decent, too.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Ya, Rogers and Buzzy have been my favourite by a large margin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Dr. Gupta has been fine as a guest host. I'd put him in 4th below Ken but above Savannah.

Next week, George Stephanopoulos starts up the one week runs/GMA fortnight