Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Okay maybe sometimes the PRC is alright

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Rabe Radbury posted:

Not to derail, but LGBT is not about kink any more than being straight is. This joke is a bit tone-deaf. Anyway, carry on.

I didn't make an assertion that it was? No offense intended, however, and I'm sorry if it came across that way.

A Jupiter
Apr 25, 2010

quote:

In completely unrelated news, grandparent mask sales up 7,000%

lol this completely caught me off guard

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I'm convinced that loads of Chinese regulations stem from one person in a position of authority seeing it and getting mad. See: People eating lots of food videos and Winnie the Pooh cartoons

CCP = QCS

Gaius Marius posted:

Okay maybe sometimes the PRC is alright

William Wallace screaming "FREEEDOOOOOOM" but he's holding a locked phone trying to play a waifu gacha game

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

:stare:

https://twitter.com/JunxiongMa/status/1411883891590266884

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

That's definitely something, all right.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

They cancelled the Shanghai Pride event last year at the last minute (COVID restrictions basically lifted by May 2020 here, and that wasn't even used as pretense) and the advocacy group that ran it basically just reposts other events and can't schedule anything now, so this doesn't surprise me. This isn't just LGBT tho but a lot of groups esp. for young people on anything "counterculture", which is a super broad bunch of topics including LGBT, feminism, stand-up comedy, etc... have been getting harder and harder to maintain lately.

That said plenty of businesses did have pride flags all month, there were dozens of smaller pride-related events, gay clubs are still openly running, so IDK what the deal is. They aren't working to really stamp it out entirely but seem to be blocking bigger, online groups for collective action?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Ailumao posted:

That said plenty of businesses did have pride flags all month, there were dozens of smaller pride-related events, gay clubs are still openly running, so IDK what the deal is. They aren't working to really stamp it out entirely but seem to be blocking bigger, online groups for collective action?

Yeah it might not be anti-LGBT as much as their general fear of any form of organizing outside the purview of the Party.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

That's definitely something, all right.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
The way I had it explained to me is that China and any other oppressive regime does it because they're trying to force a national image and identity on the populace. Anything counterculture is a direct threat to that image and LGBT+ especially looks like an alternative to making babies for the machine, even though that's usually specifically because they're banned from alternative ways from forming a family, such as adoption.

Authoritarian regimes want you to exist in the name of the state and every action you take should be to strengthen the state. If the state allows one behavior/lifestyle because enough people demand it, then the state sends the message that enough pressure can get them to cave.

Plus it's the old fascist standby of having a group to blame all failures on.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah it might not be anti-LGBT as much as their general fear of any form of organizing outside the purview of the Party.

Yeah, they don't even want nationalism getting too intense which is why they're calming down some of the wolf warrior poo poo.

If you can march for an anti-american rally you can march for other things.

They want everyone quiet, isolated (except for monitored internet spaces), scared, and angry.

So really the company they should be stealing techniques from is Fox News.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

SerCypher posted:

So really the company they should be stealing techniques from is Fox News.
This is the CCP we're talking about, so they're probably cribbing notes from Infowars instead.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07-07/australia-china-trade-tensions-official-economic-punishment/100273964

It was nice of him to admit it, at least. I wonder what it'll do to their chances at the WTO hearings about this?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
speakin about zhao lijian, it might be the ol' case of so-deep-in-the-closet-they-wont-even-admit-it-to-themselves gay peeps oppressing out gay peeps repressed-republican-congressman-style

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

As I said in the other thread where this was posted

Tankies: Genocide? Ethnic cleansing? Not happening! CIA misinformation campaign!

China: Yeah we're doing genocide and if we had the chance we'd do it to you too.

Like this classic tweet, but change "Trump" to "China" and "Shat himself" to "genocide"

https://twitter.com/evilsharkey/status/864548377660317696

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Ailumao posted:

They cancelled the Shanghai Pride event last year at the last minute (COVID restrictions basically lifted by May 2020 here, and that wasn't even used as pretense) and the advocacy group that ran it basically just reposts other events and can't schedule anything now, so this doesn't surprise me. This isn't just LGBT tho but a lot of groups esp. for young people on anything "counterculture", which is a super broad bunch of topics including LGBT, feminism, stand-up comedy, etc... have been getting harder and harder to maintain lately.

I mean that's what you do; it would take an incredible amount of resources to actually stamp out homosexuality itself (lol) and would almost certainly backfire and just bring attention to things domestically and internationally.

All they need to do is basically let LGBT people et al can exist and generally live their lives, but make sure they aren't able to meaningfully organize or hold significant political power.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Tankies: Genocide? Ethnic cleansing? Not happening! CIA misinformation campaign!

China: Yeah we're doing genocide and if we had the chance we'd do it to you too.

A tweet from one rear end in a top hat with 4 likes is not "China", any more than some piece of poo poo American say some anti-Semitic poo poo or whatever is an official source of American policy. I know that mostly people in the thread realize that and are doing the ol' hot takes for lols routine but I still hate seeing this line because literally millions and millions of people legitimately do not understand that concept.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Because when 30+ years of appeasement didn't work, the smart solution is to double down.

https://twitter.com/RobbieGramer/status/1412879569456181249

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Dial back the loving gpu tariffs at least

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

LimburgLimbo posted:

A tweet from one rear end in a top hat with 4 likes is not "China", any more than some piece of poo poo American say some anti-Semitic poo poo or whatever is an official source of American policy. I know that mostly people in the thread realize that and are doing the ol' hot takes for lols routine but I still hate seeing this line because literally millions and millions of people legitimately do not understand that concept.

Talking about concepts not being understood, do you not know what jokes are?

Also, have you not been paying attention to the poo poo China actually says?

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

Dial back the loving gpu tariffs at least

I wish GPUs could be had at the MSRP +25% tariff price point.

A Jupiter
Apr 25, 2010

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Talking about concepts not being understood, do you not know what jokes are?

Also, have you not been paying attention to the poo poo China actually says?

I mean you're implying that China has ambitions to genocide outside their borders (or claimed borders). As long as you're not actively leading a separatist movement I think it's safe to say China doesn't have you on the list, so you can relax.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
“Relax,” said the genocide explainer, “it’s not like they’ll put you on the list”

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

A Jupiter posted:

I mean you're implying that China has ambitions to genocide outside their borders (or claimed borders). As long as you're not actively leading a separatist movement I think it's safe to say China doesn't have you on the list, so you can relax.

As long as they're not coming for me, then.

Wait, that reminds me of a saying. Hmmm.

A Jupiter
Apr 25, 2010

oh my bad you guys are right, your eternal vigilance in the Chinathread is what keeps your family safe from the impending massacre

you are the same as Jewish people on the verge of Kristallnacht

A Jupiter fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jul 8, 2021

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

We are the China watchers on the wall :nsa:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I love watching China!

A Jupiter
Apr 25, 2010

Dandywalken posted:

I love watching China!

Great you start Friday night, and if you wanna pick up some shifts Sunday brunch can get pretty busy too. Dishes come in waves early morning so you can help with prep on downtime. Bring your own apron but we'll have knives for you.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

hypnophant posted:

“Relax,” said the genocide explainer, “it’s not like they’ll put you on the list”

"They've ordered your genocide, but it's on back order so you can relax."

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

first they came for the uighur but blah

then they came for black people but blah

then they came for the roundeye ghosts but blah

then they came for the fat ABCs and oh gently caress oh poo poo what the gently caress

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

But I have the Xi Jinping Thought app on my phone!!!
:qqsay:

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Its kinda hilarious seeing Chinese state media attempts at speaking to The West step on all these rakes.

https://twitter.com/JoshuaDummer/status/1413387607254323201
https://twitter.com/BeijingPalmer/status/1413466000851361794

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Mao's back, baby! Awoooooo!!

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
The Chinese govt's own Daily Show looking very solid and not at all disturbing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JU7m9IZV1Dw

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

LimburgLimbo posted:

This is surrealist art.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Scam Likely posted:

This is surrealist art.

quote:

You know… I was skeptical about the lab leak hypothesis… until I saw this video.
When even Youtube comments know what's up.

Rabe Radbury
Dec 12, 2019

LimburgLimbo posted:

Totally captures the smugness of the daily show, but !?!?. Something like this is probably preaching to the converted and solidifying skepticism rather than winning converts.

Is there a lot of English language propaganda out there? Is it aimed at Chinese expats?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

https://beincrypto.com/tiktok-bans-influencers-from-promoting-cryptocurrencies/

drat Tiktok finally does something cool

feizhouxiongdi2
Oct 9, 2019

New season of Hand Maid's tale looking intense.

Trigger Warning: Kidnapping and Violence
https://m.weibo.cn/status/4657103674016011

Unfortunately crimes of husbands/boyfriends/fathers (men in general) against women rarely go punished (Police just tell you to 'make up'), so vigilante help is all you can count on sometimes. And China has bad Samaritan’s laws, and no one cares.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

LimburgLimbo posted:

I didn’t believe the China lab leak thing but this video has me 100% convinced it’s fact now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Alan Smithee posted:

first they came for the uighur but blah

o rly. Still waiting on something of proof of this one tbf!