Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

something posted:

i mostly added it cause i would NOT hear the end of a million nerds shrieking if I didn't add something to sad

as in to the point where i am taking an extended sabbatical rn cause i am just SO burnt out on ngu and coding and unity loving up everything and dealing with toxic shitheads and etc

(you guys are not the toxic shitheads )

I'm just happy there's an ending, even if I whine a little about not being able to get it on Kong. Thanks for fighting through the burnout and cranking out some closure! I'll be hoarding that sweet offline EXP until I get myself a windows machine upon which to click Win.

Len posted:

i finally started synergism over the weekend.

it really could benefit from having a good wiki instead of 12 discord channels with pins. we live in a garbage future

Time is a flat circle and we're all back to AOL chat rooms somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Akratic Method posted:

Time is a flat circle and we're all back to AOL chat rooms somehow.

I have an idea, let's make a site to compile all the Frequently Asked Questions about Games

I've gotten used to discord-as-a-resource honestly. When Synergism just got its big update, it was actually more clear what was outdated and what was not, and it's nice to be able to ask a question directly if something's unclear or not mentioned in a guide post. It's just a nightmare for anyone who's into things like "organization" and "formatting"

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

Nibble posted:

I have an idea, let's make a site to compile all the Frequently Asked Questions about Games

I think it says something that my first thought was the Before I Play wiki and not, y'know, GameFAQs. Not sure what, but it's something.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Me in the Synergism discord "why isn't there a wiki?"
them "who will update it?"
3000+ online players

you tellin' me you really can't find anyone willing to work on a wiki? clearly i can't because i'm delving through discord pins for tips

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
I think the wiki companies that just make wikis for every new game as banner ad click farms kind of soured a whole generation on the concept. People have the sense the wikis are bad or outdated because a lot of bad ones are. I wish game wikis in the west were more like the Japanese style where they just kind of look like if old GameFAQs had actual hyperlinks in the FAQs. Here's an example for FFXIV: https://game8.jp/ff14

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
it doesn't help that without ad block they make your computer chug and with them they still serve ads with sound

I agree they're better and honestly mine defense solved this problem by just hosting the drat wiki. it's not like synergism isn't on its own host with Patreon support

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

ErIog posted:

I think the wiki companies that just make wikis for every new game as banner ad click farms kind of soured a whole generation on the concept. People have the sense the wikis are bad or outdated because a lot of bad ones are. I wish game wikis in the west were more like the Japanese style where they just kind of look like if old GameFAQs had actual hyperlinks in the FAQs. Here's an example for FFXIV: https://game8.jp/ff14

Wikis are great, and if someone stops playing the game, other people can still maintain them. Melvor idle is boring in a lot of ways, but they have a kick rear end wiki. The ad farm wikis are just terrible and no one can maintain them or spend more than 12 seconds on them because you wouldn't be able to see the content if there was any. They're also terribly easy to create pages and edit pages too. Minimal formatting, and just type.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Yeah I was gonna mention Melvor's excellent wiki.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

Len posted:

3000+ online players

you tellin' me you really can't find anyone willing to work on a wiki? clearly i can't because i'm delving through discord pins for tips

another issue is the game keeps getting rebalanced in chunks, and the people who snapped the game in twain figured out strategies aren't going to go back and figure that out again so it's up to new people to re-invent the wheel through some segments

i hope at least some of the stuff that got pinned is still valid, admittedly haven't gone to check how crazy it is (if you can find what you need it was all over the place in channels)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Voxx posted:

another issue is the game keeps getting rebalanced in chunks, and the people who snapped the game in twain figured out strategies aren't going to go back and figure that out again so it's up to new people to re-invent the wheel through some segments

i hope at least some of the stuff that got pinned is still valid, admittedly haven't gone to check how crazy it is (if you can find what you need it was all over the place in channels)

THERE'S 12 OF THEM!

and they set them up in such a dumb way. if you're in challenge 10 working towards 11 you go in the challenge 10-11 channel. once you hit 11 you go into the 11-12 channel

just call each one a challenge

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Len posted:

if you're in challenge 10 working towards 11 you go in the challenge 10-11 channel. once you hit 11 you go into the 11-12 channe

...this is the only actually smart part about having 12 channels though? why would naming each channel a challenge be better. is the channel labeled 'challenge 12' for working towards completing challenge 12 or for after i complete challenge 12

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Aurora posted:

...this is the only actually smart part about having 12 channels though? why would naming each channel a challenge be better. is the channel labeled 'challenge 12' for working towards completing challenge 12 or for after i complete challenge 12

i read it as "you're in this channel if you're doing 10 or 11" and "this one for doing 11 and 12" and there've been other discords i've tried to use where you were expected to ask questions in both. if it says start here and then the next is challenge 10 i'm going to assume that's just for challenge 10

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

10-11 means 10 to 11, why would it mean 10/11

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Idle game players don’t understand numbers below a quadrillion

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Are the chapters readable or in scientific notation?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Aurora posted:

Ordinal Markups discord used to be like that, i'd ask questions in one channel because i thought i needed to be in that one but was told i needed to be in the next channel

but also that same one

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
idle games needing a discord is not good, especially since there's Reddit and you can just make a sub if you don't want a wiki. I like the ngu discord but it has nothing to do with enjoying or knowing about the game

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Feline Mind Meld posted:

idle games needing a discord is not good, especially since there's Reddit and you can just make a sub if you don't want a wiki. I like the ngu discord but it has nothing to do with enjoying or knowing about the game

Reddit is awful. There is no point in time where "Make a Reddit" should be the suggested solution for anything.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

synergism is going to be on an indefinite break and tbf i'm kind of glad considering it seems like the dude pushed himself through some stuff he maybe shouldn't have

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Toshimo posted:

Reddit is awful. There is no point in time where "Make a Reddit" should be the suggested solution for anything.

It's better than a discord at least. If someone is using Google that will at least turn up a reddit post

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Len posted:

3000+ online players

All information is now stored in 2 hour long YouTube tutorials that are 95% filler to ensure you watch ads. There is no such thing as text documentation anymore.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Meskhenet posted:

It is a few minutes each day.

When im currently spending about a minute a day tinkering, then just checking at odd times while i let everything else idle.

Add something in the AP shop where it automatically sets it

6 x 20 x plus some in clicks just to find the right value :/

What's the best approach to finding the perfect mix each day? I seem to get stuck at about 80/90%.

I basically start with the first ingredient, get the highest % from that and then repeat per item.

Going back to previous ingredients abs repeating doesn't seem to have much impact.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Aurora posted:

and apparently 10-11 doesn't mean "can now select challenge 10" it doesn't kick off until you're into challenge 10 and have unlocked more mechanics

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Len posted:

and apparently 10-11 doesn't mean "can now select challenge 10" it doesn't kick off until you're into challenge 10 and have unlocked more mechanics

It means from completing challenge 10 to completing challenge 11. It's not really very complicated.

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010
I just finished NGU Idle. I had stopped playing it twice before. But now I actually managed to finish it too.

:toot:

Thanks for great game, Something.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Zokari posted:

It means from completing challenge 10 to completing challenge 11. It's not really very complicated.

i mean i'm not a smart man, but i kind of assumed the channel labelled challenge 10 would give me pointers for what point i could finish it

not be "oh you've already finished it and moved on"

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

The channel are named at the milestone you have most recently accomplished not what content it is for.

Hope that helps you make sense of them. The challenge ones really do not make sense like this because numbers, but when you get to Alpha Beta Omega it makes sense, or did to me.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Len posted:

i mean i'm not a smart man, but i kind of assumed the channel labelled challenge 10 would give me pointers for what point i could finish it

not be "oh you've already finished it and moved on"

It's not you, it's the imprecision of the language used. It's not a hard fix either, but it would require the use of prepositions like: from, to, until, before, after, etc. Bothered the crap out of me too when I saw it. It doesn't help precision that the limits are repeated in the next room name either (but only sometimes).

The Synergism updates made things smooth out for me in row 2 platonic upgrades, but it's still an optimization and timing problem to get through it and it just wasn't doing it for me anymore. It's just not intuitive gameplay at that point in platonic. Earlier game play was a lot of fun and was easy enough to figure out, but corruptions ruined things for me. You can't just try a bunch of different things out and get progress done. It's a bummer, but honestly I hope the dev goes and takes a month or two off (at least) and deal with what they need to deal with.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Synergism: When I ascend, auto-reincarnate breaks until I turn it off, let enough Mythos build up, and then smack a manual reincarnate. Is there a way to fix this, so I can just let it Do The Thing? Also, does Auto-Ascension ever become a thing? I don't see the unlock anywhere, yet.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Autos are very good when you unlock them then quickly become a trap you should turn off becuase they actually slow you down.

Auto ascend is worthless the moment you unlock it.

It's on the corruption tab

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Ok, yeah, but I could really use the cubes/tesseracts right now, so having a functional auto-reincarnate would be much nicer than having one that breaks the game.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Change the auto-reincarnate settings from doing it based on power to real-time of reincarnation. That's the only way to manage before you can afford the cube upgrade that lets you earn particles automatically.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Change the auto-reincarnate settings from doing it based on power to real-time of reincarnation. That's the only way to manage before you can afford the cube upgrade that lets you earn particles automatically.

Thanks

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Len posted:

3000+ online players

Want to get people to work on a wiki? Make a super simple one up on your own with really bad information. Or at the very least like super inefficient but works information. Guaranteed a least a couple dozen people will not bother to life a finger to create something but sure as hell will edit existing poo poo to show off how much more they know and better they are at the game than whoever put together what they're looking at.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Never mind. I'm done with Synergism. This is why I don't get into browser idles anymore:

Aggressive browser backgrounding the process and boom I lost the whole night's progress.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
Export your saves frequently. If something like that ever happens and you miss progress, loading an exported save will calculate all your offline progress from the time of the save.

Come to think of it, it might not work with auto-ascend, I forget. But soon enough you move on to long-run ascensions, and if you make a save before going offline you can always reclaim that time.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Nibble posted:

Export your saves frequently. If something like that ever happens and you miss progress, loading an exported save will calculate all your offline progress from the time of the save.

Come to think of it, it might not work with auto-ascend, I forget. But soon enough you move on to long-run ascensions, and if you make a save before going offline you can always reclaim that time.

This exceeds the effort I'm looking for in this sort of thing, but thanks.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
On Chrome, I pop browser idle games into their own window instead of a tab, and it calculates fine.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

ya i just run browser idles in separate open windows on firefox that are behind my active one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Red Minjo posted:

On Chrome, I pop browser idle games into their own window instead of a tab, and it calculates fine.

Yeah, this is what I do and it did not help at all.