Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Krakkles posted:

Do you not? :v:

Somehow all of my vehicles have full size spares.

And two of four have fire extinguishers.

gently caress it

Tow strap
Clevis
Tow ball
Receiver hitch with clevis
Hi vis vest
Ratchet straps
Lighter
Flashlight
Hand sanitizer
First aid kit
Petty cash
Sunblock
Water
Windshield sun screen
Binoculars
Poncho
Ice scraper
Hats
Permanent jumper cable installed

The rest is usually trip or vehicle specific, like a shovel, kitty litter, blanket, washer fluid, mechanic tools, snacks, flares, radios, jerry can....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Cars I care about get fire extinguishers, cars I hate and only drive for the utility get fire theft coverage.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So the Forester has fire extinguishers? :v:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

StormDrain posted:

Edit: I secretly love this question because various goons all think we need different things and if you follow all of the advice you will not have room for any other cargo. I have never needed a toolkit on any car newer than 2010, and even my screwdriver only gets used to take into work or someone's house. I cannot imagine actually torquing my lugs on a roadside replacement, and any tire needing to be inflated is probably screwed anyway, unless you have plugs too.
For the record, everything I listed fits in a Fiesta ST with plenty of room to spare both under the trunk floor and up front. Any vehicle that has space for a full size spare should have no trouble with it.

I have I rarely actually needed the toolkit on the road, but it's really nice when doing minor work at home to not even have to go get my toolbox, just pop the trunk. Totally disagree on the tire pump though, I have had cars with slow leaks where it'd get low enough to set off TPMS every few months but wasn't low enough to cause damage.

The torque wrench could definitely be dropped though, I have a bad habit of doing my summer/winter tire swaps right before traveling a few hundred miles and I messed up once, Since then I've just kept the wrench in the car for my own comfort. Gutentight with the four-way is of course just fine for a roadside repair.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

wolrah posted:

For the record, everything I listed fits in a Fiesta ST with plenty of room to spare both under the trunk floor and up front. Any vehicle that has space for a full size spare should have no trouble with it.

I have I rarely actually needed the toolkit on the road, but it's really nice when doing minor work at home to not even have to go get my toolbox, just pop the trunk. Totally disagree on the tire pump though, I have had cars with slow leaks where it'd get low enough to set off TPMS every few months but wasn't low enough to cause damage.

The torque wrench could definitely be dropped though, I have a bad habit of doing my summer/winter tire swaps right before traveling a few hundred miles and I messed up once, Since then I've just kept the wrench in the car for my own comfort. Gutentight with the four-way is of course just fine for a roadside repair.

Yeah each individual list is usually fine, I mean if you just grabbed every item everyone listed.

The slow leak I still dont think warrants a tire inflator, you know it's a thing and fix it, or fill up before a trip, or use air at a gas station or home. If it's slow enough to take weeks to set off the tpms its like 5psi below, and OK to drive for a while on.

It's fine if you want to carry that, I don't think it's necessary.

Your toolkit use makes sense. Situation dependent.

And I have the Tpms tool in my truck for the same reason, when I change tires and need to program it, it's nice to have it right there.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I have a 2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R with AWD and 36,000 miles. I had to have the front left tire replaced due to an edge puncture and now the dealership wants to install 3 new tires in addition to the replacement because theres greater than 2/32nds inch difference in tread wear between the replacement tire for the punctured one and the currently installed tires on the other wheels. The reason they cite is the different tire diameters will produce uneven strain on the AWD system. Is this a real issue and I should just replace all the tires, or am I being massively upsold? Obviously I would like to avoid replacing 3 good tires if I can just have a few more frequent regular tire rotations until the tread diameter evens out.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
AWD systems depend on wheel speed sensor inputs and are extremely sensitive to wheel diameter. Unfortunately they are telling you the truth, though 3 tires is a lot cheaper than a new AWD transfer case.

ChineseBuffet
Mar 7, 2003
If you're open to non-dealer solutions, Tire Rack can shave a new tire down to the tread depth of the three existing ones.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

ChineseBuffet posted:

If you're open to non-dealer solutions, Tire Rack can shave a new tire down to the tread depth of the three existing ones.

Is this a good solution or a only if you cant possibly afford the tires solution?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Lawnie posted:

Is this a good solution or a only if you cant possibly afford the tires solution?

If you're other 3 tires are in good condition and have a ton of tread left it's a good solution. Would I personally buy a new tire and have it shaved down to 5/32nds to match 3 older tires? Probably not. If they're still pretty good with 7/32'nds or more, I'd probably replace 1 tire.

If money was tight I'd call around to used tire places looking for a tire in similar condition. If I could afford it, I'd just replace all 4, but I'd shop around. Dealer tire prices are sometimes good, sometimes not so good.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

I had a sidewall get hosed when all tires on my AWD sedan had 8/32nds. I bought a tire from Tire Rack and they shaved it down for a small fee, and it worked great. Would everything probably have been fine if I never shaved it down? Yup but it was peace of mind.

The tire shop that installed it never heard of tire shaving, apparently it used to be done more back in the day, nowadays TR is basically the only place that does it. It's probably unnecessary but car nerds gonna nerd. I would be surprised if a couple mm tread difference would cause a differential failure or significant wear, I just doubt there's dramatically so little tolerance in a normal mass produced automobile. But I'd have to ask a mechanical engineer that works on differentials if my theory is right.

Also it may matter I have a Torsen diff that I assume does not use wheel speed sensors at all, but instead uses the physical speed of the axles? I'm not a mechanical engineer and I haven't spent enough time learning it to get past 'black magic' in my head.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jul 7, 2021

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

DildenAnders posted:

AWD systems depend on wheel speed sensor inputs and are extremely sensitive to wheel diameter. Unfortunately they are telling you the truth, though 3 tires is a lot cheaper than a new AWD transfer case.

It's the differentials and couplings that are the issue, not wheel speed sensors.

Lawnie posted:

Tire Rack is far better usually. What tires is the dealer offering you?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

skipdogg posted:

If you're other 3 tires are in good condition and have a ton of tread left it's a good solution. Would I personally buy a new tire and have it shaved down to 5/32nds to match 3 older tires? Probably not. If they're still pretty good with 7/32'nds or more, I'd probably replace 1 tire.

If money was tight I'd call around to used tire places looking for a tire in similar condition. If I could afford it, I'd just replace all 4, but I'd shop around. Dealer tire prices are sometimes good, sometimes not so good.

Thanks, that sounds reasonable. Ill find out how much life the OEM tires still have and decide from there - probably will just replace them if theyre lower than 40% or so.

Cant really justify trying to just replace it with a used tire because I got it replaced free with the puncture protection I bought with the car based on my past experience in the office parking lot (at least 4 tire repairs/replacements in 7 years).

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Also when I bought my Impreza the dealer offered a tire protection package that included tire shaving if necessary. Don't know if that was a Subaru option or aftermarket plan, but they presented it like it was by Subaru.

Discount Tire / America's Tire told me they don't offer shaving because it may invalidate the manufacturer warranty, dunno if that's true or just what the guy said.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

DildenAnders posted:

So Ive always heard to replace them all. When I had a forester, I caught something in my sidewall and all four tires needed replacing, even though they only had about 15k miles on them. They also refused to shave a new tire down and several other places said the same.

When I bought my Lexus AWD gs350, they tried to sell me a rim and tire warranty. I asked them if they would replace all four tires in the event something similar to the above happened and they looked at me like I was crazy and that there was no reason to replace all four tires. I declined the warranty.

I dunno if its the type of AWD each car has or if the Lexus dealership was just clueless or something else.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
different AWD design basically, anything with a torsen diff hates unequal wheel speeds. electronically controlled systems are a lot more tolerant.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
In my industry 0.060 out of tolerance for a spinny bit diameter is about 20x the usual max allowance on that kind of dimension, and I appreciate the discussion of the different failure modes for cars compared to the helicopter engines Im used to.

Farten Barfen
Dec 30, 2018
So Ive got what seems is a stupid question: Does anybody know anything about shipping a car within the US?

Due to a series of weird events, my girlfriends sister wants to give her her old car but its in Denver, we live in Middle Of Nowhere in the Pacific Northwest, and theres not really a scenario where somebody could drive it up here.

I personally dont know where to start with this at all. Is there a shipping service thats recommended? Something I should look out for? Expected cost?

All I know is that its 08 Honda CRV (if that helps) and Im very dumb.

Edit: For some reason none of the apostrophes that I included in this post are showing up. Apologies for phoneposting, I promise that I can do punctuation.

Farten Barfen fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jul 7, 2021

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Mephiston posted:

I assume this is the right thread to ask because, well, stupid questions but is there a thread anywhere for what you should have in your car?

I ask because my wife and I just bought a car (2016 Holden Commodore Evoke Series II, if anyone's wondering) after not having a car for a year or so (my sister-in-law totalled it), and I was wondering what sort of things we should get for it.

Obviously things like jumper leads, it has a jack and a spare (full spare not a space saver, even)

But beyond that I'm kinda lost. I was thinking a phone holder, maybe a jump starter, some seat covers.. but I'm not really sure, and I'd rather leave it up to you guys to recommend some resources or a list of stuff.

My car is going to be stored outside (we don't have a carport or garage) so I'd kinda like some kind of good car cover, but nothing hugely expensive. We rent, so we can't put up a carport or anything, either.

Also, anything else I should be aware of? We're sorting insurance and all that stuff, but it's been a long time since either of us bought a car (like.. 20 years ish) and we want to be prepared.

Thanks folks.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

gently caress that's dumb

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Is that a loving compass? :lol:

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

There's a lot of great info in this thread, thanks for your replies. I've made a bit of a list, but I should have added that it's mostly suburban driving / highway driving, with maybe a bit of city driving. Minimum temperature wont go below about 2*C, so no ice or snow. More worried about Australian summers (45*C in some cases), and the occasional hailstorm (never anything really bigger than pea sized hail), since I can't use a carport (renting sucks). That, and we don't drive much, maybe 3000km a year? So it will be stored outside most of the time, and I need something that will protect it.

We are looking at the following stuff, in no particular order:

Phone holder (either vent or adhesive, suction never work for me)
1080p front and rear dashcam, because you've all seen Aussie Dashcams youtube, and people around here are asshats.
Jump Starter (I'm told I should use a v6 specific, does that matter?)
Jump Leads
Spare fuses
Some kind of emergency toolkit and a leatherman
LED Flashlight
Duct tape
Sun Shade
Seatbelt cutter + Escape tool
Fluids - oil, coolant, washer, water.. maybe brake / trans fluid? I dont know about those last two. It's a 2016 3.0 V6 VF Commodore, if that helps.
Seat covers
Tire Gauge
Fire extinguisher
Maybe some armorall? something to protect the dash?

Roadside assist companies here aren't really helpful with what you need, but I did find a few resources. I don't think we need survival stuff because we're never more than 5km from the nearest shop.

Cheers for your help.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Inner Light posted:

even if it isn't, it should be

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Does anyone know about rebuilding coilovers? I don't currently have them, but I'm probably going to have to get some soon because my SVX's suspension is worn and apparently the used struts I put on are bent and Subaru no longer has any struts in stock. The thing is most/all of the brands that make them are Taiwan-based and I'm concerned about them being able to be rebuilt in the 20-30k miles when they need it. Are coilovers similar enough to be rebuilt by places in the US without having to ship them all the way back to Taiwan, assuming the company even exists in a few years?

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
I have aftermarket HID headlights installed in my car (from a PO). How do I replace them when one goes bad?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Farten Barfen posted:

So I’ve got what seems is a stupid question: Does anybody know anything about shipping a car within the US?

Due to a series of weird events, my girlfriend’s sister wants to give her her old car but it’s in Denver, we live in Middle Of Nowhere in the Pacific Northwest, and there’s not really a scenario where somebody could drive it up here.

I personally don’t know where to start with this at all. Is there a shipping service that’s recommended? Something I should look out for? Expected cost?

All I know is that it’s ‘08 Honda CRV (if that helps) and I’m very dumb.

Edit: For some reason none of the apostrophes that I included in this post are showing up. Apologies for phoneposting, I promise that I can do punctuation.

Hello I have info for a transport broker that will take care of everything for you, you can decide if the price they quote is worth it. I'm currently away from my computer but I will both update this post and PM you the info when I do get to my PC.

Farten Barfen
Dec 30, 2018

KakerMix posted:

Hello I have info for a transport broker that will take care of everything for you, you can decide if the price they quote is worth it. I'm currently away from my computer but I will both update this post and PM you the info when I do get to my PC.

That sounds great! Ill send you a PM shortly.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Inner Light posted:

It's a pressure gauge

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Mephiston posted:

We are looking at the following stuff, in no particular order:

Phone holder (either vent or adhesive, suction never work for me)
1080p front and rear dashcam, because you've all seen Aussie Dashcams youtube, and people around here are asshats.
Jump Starter (I'm told I should use a v6 specific, does that matter?)
Jump Leads
Spare fuses
Some kind of emergency toolkit and a leatherman
LED Flashlight
Duct tape
Sun Shade
Seatbelt cutter + Escape tool
Fluids - oil, coolant, washer, water.. maybe brake / trans fluid? I dont know about those last two. It's a 2016 3.0 V6 VF Commodore, if that helps.
Seat covers
Tire Gauge
Fire extinguisher
Maybe some armorall? something to protect the dash?

On a car that new I wouldn't worry about fuses or fluids until you need them. It's unlikely you'll see a blown fuse and fluids will just get old before you need them. It's not a jalopy from the 60s that will blast coolant out above 30C and leak oil from every mating surface.

The rest is great and it reminded me of Ozium or other air freshner spray to cover up the smell of Maccas. I also keep a microfiber towel to wipe down dust inside when I'm bored. Grab some good charging cable for your phone too, including a high amperage cigarette lighter adapter. They're faster than USB.

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

StormDrain posted:

On a car that new I wouldn't worry about fuses or fluids until you need them. It's unlikely you'll see a blown fuse and fluids will just get old before you need them. It's not a jalopy from the 60s that will blast coolant out above 30C and leak oil from every mating surface.

The rest is great and it reminded me of Ozium or other air freshner spray to cover up the smell of Maccas. I also keep a microfiber towel to wipe down dust inside when I'm bored. Grab some good charging cable for your phone too, including a high amperage cigarette lighter adapter. They're faster than USB.

Yep, got a phone holder with a 2A fast charger built in, as well as a couple of 2A rated charge cables, and a 12v adapter so we can charge both our phones as well as run front and rear dash cams.

not sure about ozium but we got some nice air fresheners from supercheap auto on top of everything else.

With regard to fuses, we got them anyway, just to give my wife some peace of mind and ultimately they don't cost much anyhow. Only fluids we got was a 1l bottle of oil, 1l of coolant and some wiper fluid, so nothing drastic.

wound up spending about $900 bucks overall.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Lawnie posted:

Thanks, that sounds reasonable. Ill find out how much life the OEM tires still have and decide from there - probably will just replace them if theyre lower than 40% or so.

Cant really justify trying to just replace it with a used tire because I got it replaced free with the puncture protection I bought with the car based on my past experience in the office parking lot (at least 4 tire repairs/replacements in 7 years).

FWIW, Discount Tire/America's Tire road hazard normally replaces all 4 tires if there's more than a 2/32" difference on a Subaru. You may consider asking the dealer to put the spare on the back and put in the FWD fuse, then driving directly to your nearest Discount Tire/America's Tire (assuming they have a store near you).

nwin posted:

I dunno if its the type of AWD each car has or if the Lexus dealership was just clueless or something else.

Subaru's AWD is... touchy. It's a fantastic AWD system, but it. is. touchy. Do not anger the Subaru gods, as they will smite your wallet with 4-5 figure repair bills. throw off-brand EJ25 head gaskets in the air to distract them

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Mephiston posted:

Yep, got a phone holder with a 2A fast charger built in, as well as a couple of 2A rated charge cables, and a 12v adapter so we can charge both our phones as well as run front and rear dash cams.

not sure about ozium but we got some nice air fresheners from supercheap auto on top of everything else.

With regard to fuses, we got them anyway, just to give my wife some peace of mind and ultimately they don't cost much anyhow. Only fluids we got was a 1l bottle of oil, 1l of coolant and some wiper fluid, so nothing drastic.

wound up spending about $900 bucks overall.

the fluids thing is silly - anything that causes a loss of fluid that will affect performance is going to be a catastrophic fluid loss, and so your 1L bottle of oil will be pretty loving useless when you have 4+L of oil on the ground out of a rapid leak. Leave that poo poo in the garage. You don't need detailing or interior products in the car either. Fewer chemical bottles floating around in the car is better.

I also think seatbelt cutters and escape tools are also dumb. Where are you keeping it? glove box? good loving luck after a serious accident that affects egress of your vehicle reaching over and opening the glove box and getting your seatbelt cutter out. Center console box? again, likely to be distorted and difficult to open in a crash of sufficient severity to warrant use. If you don't secure it in one of the storage compartments, it's another item that can turn in to a missile within the passenger compartment in the event of an accident.

Otherwise I think your list generally makes sense. Seat covers are a comfort based personal preference, I think they're tacky and generally uncomfortable but you may not.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the fluids thing is silly - anything that causes a loss of fluid that will affect performance is going to be a catastrophic fluid loss, and so your 1L bottle of oil will be pretty loving useless when you have 4+L of oil on the ground out of a rapid leak. Leave that poo poo in the garage. You don't need detailing or interior products in the car either. Fewer chemical bottles floating around in the car is better.

Eh, I could have used an oil bottle in my VW, but that car was known for burning oil and having a bit to top up could have been peace of mind (I was too lazy to ever do that). (checking once a month would have been a better idea)

I keep washer fluid, especially in the winter. I can go from a low warning light to empty super fast if it's slushy out.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

STR posted:

FWIW, Discount Tire/America's Tire road hazard normally replaces all 4 tires if there's more than a 2/32" difference on a Subaru. You may consider asking the dealer to put the spare on the back and put in the FWD fuse, then driving directly to your nearest Discount Tire/America's Tire (assuming they have a store near you).

Subaru's AWD is... touchy. It's a fantastic AWD system, but it. is. touchy. Do not anger the Subaru gods, as they will smite your wallet with 4-5 figure repair bills. throw off-brand EJ25 head gaskets in the air to distract them

The warranty is through Maximus Auto Group and in typical insurance company form, I cannot find a copy of the terms of the contract online and I left my copy in the glovebox of the car in the shop. The more I think about it the more annoyed I am they sold me the tire warranty last august on the promise Id only have to pay a deductible if ANYTHING happened to the tires. Im definitely hassling them for a pro-rated price on the other tires at the very least, or maybe a coupon for a free detail.

I dont know what kind of tires the dealership is trying to sell me because I cant get the service rep back on the phone. Ill at least compare to Costcos price for a similar tire (might post here for some help on that comparison).

E: called up discount tire and they said their protection plan wouldnt replace all 3 tires in my situation, but they would try to prorate replacements based on the life remaining on the other three tires. Unfortunately their price for the replacement on the other three tires is 30% more expensive than what the dealer is quoting me for 3x Bridgestone Dueler HP Sport AS 225/60 R18. Maybe I can be a pain in the rear end up to a free detail ($200 value!) out of it.

Lawnie fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jul 8, 2021

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

Anyone have experience with getting tires from Costco? My brother needs all 4 changed, and I was wondering if Costco would be more cost-effective than something like Walmart.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

DildenAnders posted:

Anyone have experience with getting tires from Costco? My brother needs all 4 changed, and I was wondering if Costco would be more cost-effective than something like Walmart.

The pricing is usually good, the service is usually good, it counts towards your spend for the rebate, but holy poo poo you end up killing a ton of time if you can't drop it off and leave.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

DildenAnders posted:

If you compare Out The Door pricing, they're usually fairly competitive. I've bought my last couple sets of tires from Walmart though. I've caught them on ridiculous sale prices, plus my MIL worked there 25 years so she gets an extra 10% off.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I do all my tires through our Costco and it's great. Because of what I get tires on not being in their systems I never bring them the whole car just the wheels but it works out really well.
As mentioned it helps a lot of you have an executive membership and it's also dependant on your specific Costco. Some people say theirs sucks, ours is good and the people there are great. Also if they have the tires you want but online it says they are out of stock, you can physically go into Costco and they can pull them from other Costcos nationwide. Online it's only from the manufacturer, in store it's from other stores so more than likely able to get the tires. I've yanked many a KO2s from around Florida already.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Speaking of KO2s, when do you replace them? Do they start sucking offroad even though they might have legal tread left? Mine aren't there yet, but I'm wondering what happens as they get older.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Deteriorata posted:

Word of mouth, trial and error. When you find a shop you like, stick with them.

How do I know whats actually good though?

Should I take my car to several mechanics for a diagnosis and then actually have the repairs at one that seems the most legit?