Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Splicer posted:

How long ago was that?

I apologise in advance for making you check today's date and die like wile e coyote running off a cliff except instead of falling it's crumbling to dust and instead of a cliff it's being two hundred years old

About 7 years ago. But when I have visited branches checks are still a thing. Personal checks are on the way out maybe but businesses still use them a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

I work in B2B professional services and we still receive a nontrivial number of checks.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I have an admin person who regularly treks to a state office across town to pick up mid-six-figure checks paying for our services. She says she always comes back to our office because she hasn't had to pick up one big enough to run away on yet.

withak fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jul 7, 2021

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I had to do some check controls testing for a client once and my samples were hosed because the bulk of payments over the thresholds specified in the controls were payments for my firm’s testing services.

Speaking of checks and fraud, let’s reread this story again:
https://features.texasmonthly.com/editorial/just-desserts/

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

quote:

AITA for refusing to move in with my boyfriend even though he bought us a house?

Two months ago, I (25F) found out I was pregnant and I was DEVASTATED. I have always been a planner and had an idea of how my life was going to go - I wanted to get my PhD, be married and have a house before I had children. I decided to go through with the pregnancy, and with therapy and time have started releasing some of my control issues and warming up to the idea that life is spontaneous and unexpected, so I can better adjust to the other curveballs life (and children) are sure to throw at me.

My boyfriend of 3 years (28M) has been trying to put band-aids on these problems, instead. I explained to him that I've been trying to develop coping mechanisms for these unexpected moments so I can better handle them in the future, but he has been insistent that it's just harder for me and that I should just "check off my boxes" before the baby arrives. He has been trying to convince me to buy a house for two months (we already rent together) but I've been turning him down. We don't have the money to buy our "dream home" and that's what I want, not a fixer upper or a house we only kind of like.

A week ago, my boyfriend took me out for dinner and then to go see a "surprise." He lead me to a neighborhood that is notorious in our area for being generally not the best and showed me his surprise... A house. He bought a house that was being foreclosed on with a loan from his parents, a separate loan from his brother, and his entire savings. The house is in HORRIBLE condition and will need to be gutted before our baby comes. There's mold, the exterior is just awful, the landscaping has been neglected for years, all the carpets are stained and dirty, the hardwood is damaged, etc. etc. Even with all the fixes, I just don't like the house. It's not to my tastes, it's not in a good area, I just dislike it. I sat on the partially dilapidated porch and just cried. This is not the house I wanted to welcome my baby in. I just can't even pretend to like it. I can't pretend I think this was romantic. It was dumb. He wasted THOUSANDS of dollars on a house I don't even want to step foot in...

I told him I would not be moving in with him. I said I would not drain my savings or take out more loans to redo the house. I told him off for making this MASSIVE decision against my will and without my consent. I said if he liked the house, he could sleep there and have not let him back in to our place for the past week.

My parents think that he was an idiot for spending so much money on a house but think the idea is cute and that I should appreciate the effort. My sister thinks its cute, my brother thinks its dumb. They are split on being mad that I'm "ungrateful" and understanding where he was an idiot. Boyfriend's family has just been leaving hateful, hateful voicemails directed at me. My boyfriend has been alternating between furious and despondent.

AITA for refusing to move in with him after he bought me a house?

quote:

Zobrist: I'm suing the marriage counselor who cheated with my ex-wife

Ben Zobrist claimed that his wife, Julianna, had an affair with their former pastor. That’s according to a copy of a May lawsuit filed on behalf of the former MLB player. The court document also accuses the minister, who also worked at Ben’s non-profit, of defrauding the foundation.

A copy of the lawsuit was recently obtained by the Journal Star.

The claim is against Byron Yawn, who used to be a senior minister at the Community Bible Church in Nashville, where he met the Zobrists. The 2016 World Series MVP is seeking $6 million in damages from Yawn — whom the Zobrists have known for 16 years.

The couple was married in 2005 and received pre- and post-marital counseling from Yawn. Ben and Julianna Zobrist also have three children together.

According to the lawsuit, as early as 2007 and then again in 2016/17, Ben Zobrist entered into counseling with Yawn to discuss his anxiety and depression. The suit goes on to say that in the fall of 2018, while Zobrist was being counseled by his pastor, Yawn began “secretly pursuing an intimate relationship with Mr. Zobrist’s wife.” Yawn and Julianna Zobrist, a Christian-pop singer, maintained a romantic relationship from the spring of 2019 into 2020, communicating via “burner phones.” Those phones were found by Yawn’s wife in May 2019, who told Zobrist that she thought the relationship was emotional, but not sexual. But, in 2020, the ballplayer finally learned of the true nature of the relationship after his ex-wife admitted to it in writing.

In 2019, days after pausing his baseball career to work on his marriage, Ben Zobrist filed for legal separation from his wife. The complaint said Julianna had been “guilty of inappropriate marital conduct which renders further cohabitation impossible.”

Zobrist would miss most of the 2019 baseball season thereafter. He estimates the pause in his career resulted in $8 million in lost income.

While his marriage was falling apart, Zobrist turned to his pastor for life guidance. Yawn gave some, and also got an executive position with Zobrist’s foundation, Patriot Forward. The non-profit helps pro athletes with mental health struggles and gives career advice to those hanging up their cleats.

In 2018, the suit alleges, Yawn “us[ed] his role in Patriot Forward as an excuse to meet with [Zobrist’s] wife.” He did so while meeting with Ben “to develop the charity’s social media presence.”

Yawn, who “often capitalized on the Plaintiff’s celebrity,” was fired in March of 2019.

According to the lawsuit:

In March of 2019, Patriot Forward, the charitable organization founded by the Plaintiff, terminated Mr. Yawn as Executive Director, a position in which Mr. Yawn was paid a salary of $3,500 per month. Despite his termination in March of that year, Mr. Yawn somehow continued to fraudulently receive salary checks until May of 2019 and he cashed these checks with full knowledge that his position had been terminated.

Guy doesn't keep his eye on the ball for a professional second baseman. His marriage counselor/pastor was sleeping with his wife and his charity kept sending him checks for months after he was fired.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
floating large payments for a bunch of extra days by sending physical checks to your smaller vendors who can't do anything about it is gwm and standard practice based on how all of our clients pay the small company i work for

bonus points if you just never mail the check the first time and get a week or two of extra float time

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Alan Smithee posted:

is sears still around? I still remember hearing about how their tools lifetime warranty was also BWM

for them anyway

It worked out just fine for them before their tools turned into garbage.

The last time I brought a ratchet in for a warranty replacement (10-ish year ago?) the piece of poo poo they handed me was so bad I told them to give me the old one back and I'd buy a rebuild kit. The manager heard this and was like "just give him a rebuild kit as the warranty." So at least some people there got it.

OctaMurk posted:

Today most stocks are traded electronically. Basically when you log into Robinhood to bet your life on GameStop you are trading electronic tokens representing a non-fungible share of . . . Wait a minute!!!

Stock shares you buy in your brokerage account at 100% fungible. They are in no way accounted for as if they are serialized assets.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Volmarias posted:

At a job over a decade ago, at a 100-ish person sized company, there would periodically be company wide emails from AR asking if someone could tell them why XYZ Ltd has sent a $50k check, thanks

I am very glad that we have mostly moved away from checks.

yeah now it's just AR emailing and asking why XYZ Ltd has sent a $50k ACH payment :haw:

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Motronic posted:

It worked out just fine for them before their tools turned into garbage.

Except when idiots came by.

Knew a guy a few companies ago who would brag about buying non-impact Craftsman sockets, use them on his car in an impact gun, and then bring them in for warranty when they broke.

Had to think that the money he spent on gas would have long paid for an impact set.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

:yikes:

quote:

I (26) told my bf (31) that if I had to support my NEET brother in the future, I would be fine with it. He was not.

We've been dating for almost a year. This is the first time we've really disagreed on something that could potentially be a deal breaker in our relationship. I brought up how my parents were overprotective while growing up and eventually became enabling parents. Their parenting style resulted in either kids who couldn't wait to leave the country or kids who will never leave the very same room they grew up in.

I have one brother (30) who will probably be a NEET(Not in Education, Enployment, or Training) the rest of his life. He dropped out of college and can't hold onto jobs. He's not a bad guy. I could not have asked for a better older brother while growing up. I view him as innocent and naive of the real world. He's always been in his own little world and just sees things differently.

My question is this. Is it wrong of me to want to protect my brother from reality, as my parents have been doing for the past 30 years, especially if its within my means. He keeps to himself and just plays video games all day and causes no trouble.

I told my bf that if I ever had to support him in the future because my parents were gone or none of my other siblings wanted to (although I personally think the chances of that are pretty low) then I would be willing. My bf was absolutely against this. At the time, it just blew my mind that it would even be a problem. I realize now that I never considered how my partner would feel but maybe it's because it was so prevalent in the community I grew up in that I never questioned it. Also, my parents heavily conditioned my siblings and I to always love and care for each other no matter what.

Talking about this potential situation made me realize that I would just become my brother's enabler after my parents but I don't feel wrong or bad about it. My brother's happy. I'm happy but my partner definitely wouldn't be happy so how do I deal with this situation? Its a situation that could cause my relationship to end in the future.

I ended the conversation by saying we'll deal with it when it happens but knowing my bf is against it, I dont know how to feel about my bf and the potential situation with my brother because at the end of the day, without a doubt, I would never deny my siblings a place in my home.

TLDR: Told my bf I would be willing to support my NEET brother in the furure. Bf said not okay. Now, I dont know how to feel about my bf and the potential situation with my brother.

quote:

quote:

Especially for my partner and if I want to have kids but if its not a financial strain and my brother has no interested in standing on his own two legs then what then? Force him to? Kick him out?

Force him to? Kick him out?

Why do these options seem so unreasonable to you?

quote:

quote:

You need to face facts: Literally nobody will enter a committed relationship with you, far less marry you, if you take on this unnecessary burden.

I can't force him. I can not. I just cant. I may really end up single supporting my brother. I really don't feel sad thinking that though.

quote:

No. He just wants to play video games all day. There is no drama or trauma to speak of. I just want to support him in living a carefree life if its within my means.

quote:

quote:

Is it wrong of me to want to protect my brother from reality, as my parents have been doing for the past 30 years?

Yes. Very. You would be compounding the disservice your parents did to your brother.

quote:

He's tried the world and didn't like it. Most people's got to deal with it regardless but he was able to withdraw from it because he doesnt have to worry about the bills.

quote:

quote:

He’s 30, though. He shouldn’t be sheltered. Sheltering him is doing him an injustice. Video games aren’t going to make him feel fulfilled in life or happy.

People feel fulfilled differently. Video games are his life.

quote:

He wants to withdraw from the world and I support him. If someone would contently support me in being a NEET then I too would say bye 9-5 job and hello 24/7 reading

quote:

Why do I need therapy because I am willing to financially support my brother...I dont know what you guys are assuming but I think some of you guys are just too selfish.

quote:

I thought about your question and honestly, I would give up having children if I couldn't support my brother. If I can't financially support one NEET, I can not support a child.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jul 7, 2021

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Like 95% of autistics are unemployed and/or can't hold down jobs long term. A lot of these "my sibling is a great person, they just don't fit anywhere" stories are describing neurodivergent or otherwise disabled people who haven't been identified as such.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yeah, that’s…a hard one. And a problem I don’t know how to solve or give good advice for.

But that’s almost certainly enough for disability. Not that it helps much in the states.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
I think the BWM part is that OP appears to be claiming this is all by choice. As in, her brother is NEET because he just doesn't want to work, and who wouldn't want that lifestyle if it were a choice? Not that he is unable to support himself due to an undiagnosed condition.

Not that this is a correct assessment, but the thought doesn't even cross OP's mind that there could be something more to it.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Sounds pretty GWL from the brother's standpoint, why bother working if you have family fully willing and able to pay for everything?

More seriously though, if the sister wants to support her brother and has the income to do so without impacting her life / future, who cares? Even if her brother has no kind of undiagnosed conditions at all and just wants to sit and play video games all day, if she's willing and able then fuckin go for it. If it starts negatively impacting her life then yeah then it's time to reevaluate but otherwise gently caress it.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Man I have been living life all wrong.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I guess if nobody wants a relationship with her that could count as impacting her life

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Residency Evil posted:

Man I have been living life all wrong.

This is exactly what I was thinking.

Hey, Residency Evil, you're doing pretty well for yourself... Want to adopt a NEET brother?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I have an uncle like that. I solved the problem by buying him an old computer. He reconnected with an old high school flame and they got married. It was like tag team wrestling except the moment I tapped out I exited the ring, flew down the aisle, and out into the parking lot.

Shortly after they married his wife called me up and asked when I thought he was going to get a job since he no longer had to care for his mother 24/7. I'm not even sure he's worked enough to qualify for Social Security.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

BonerGhost posted:

Like 95% of autistics are unemployed and/or can't hold down jobs long term. A lot of these "my sibling is a great person, they just don't fit anywhere" stories are describing neurodivergent or otherwise disabled people who haven't been identified as such.

Agreed, but from the posts it sounds like there were some serious family problems going on.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

CodfishCartographer posted:

Sounds pretty GWL from the brother's standpoint, why bother working if you have family fully willing and able to pay for everything?

More seriously though, if the sister wants to support her brother and has the income to do so without impacting her life / future, who cares? Even if her brother has no kind of undiagnosed conditions at all and just wants to sit and play video games all day, if she's willing and able then fuckin go for it. If it starts negatively impacting her life then yeah then it's time to reevaluate but otherwise gently caress it.

She's allowed to prioritize her brother's care even if it does impact her life. It might make it harder to find a partner, but probably not as hard as we think, and she probably wouldn't be happy with anyone who made her choose anyway.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Thanatosian posted:

This is exactly what I was thinking.

Yeah thanks for agreeing I

quote:

Hey, Residency Evil, you're doing pretty well for yourself... Want to adopt a NEET brother?

oh no. Not like that.

Besides, we are a few weeks away from being confident that we're opening a 529 plan.

BWM thread: it knows before your family does.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I will wash the 993 every week if you will support my basement dwelling lifestyle

this is like the most pathetic sugar daddy arrangement of all time, on both sides

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

BonerGhost posted:

Many disabled people can work part/full time jobs with a support network. Tons of these cases are a result of the family coddling their special boy (it's almost always the son) never pushing for improvement or growth of any kind. Whether the support network exists is going to be a big part of the equation but quite often its a matter of the 'sensitive' child being enabled heavily by the parents.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

FrozenVent posted:

I had a client send us a 500k check once to pay a freight invoice. Somehow mailroom routed it to the traffic desk, we thought it was hilarious and walked around showing it to everyone before accounting freaked out.

Edit: to clarify, we had no process to deal with a physical check, I think the CFO and the comptroller ended up going to the bank to deposit it or some poo poo.

5 years ago I was on a project that we got physical checks as payments. Every month I’d walk to the office of the general contractor and get the check, then walk down the street to deposit the check at the local bank branch. I was routinely walking around downtown Cleveland with $1 - $2 million dollar checks.

I clung to that check like my life depended on it. It may actually have. The bank teller always gave me a funny look when depositing it.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Residency Evil posted:

Besides, we are a few weeks away from being confident that we're opening a 529 plan.

Oh poo poo, burying the lede, figuratively and literally. Good luck man.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Residency Evil posted:

oh no. Not like that.

As a father, all I can say is, “And the Bad With Money was coming from INSIDE THE THREAD!!!!!”

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Mazel!

Also,

therobit posted:

As a father, all I can say is, “And the Bad With Money was coming from INSIDE THE THREAD!!!!!”

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Residency Evil posted:

oh no. Not like that.

:toot:

also :ssh: you can open a 529 with yourself as the beneficiary and change the beneficiary later

therobit posted:

not an empty quote

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

DaveSauce posted:

:toot:

also :ssh: you can open a 529 with yourself as the beneficiary and change the beneficiary later

not an empty quote

Yeah I've thought about this (as all good BFC posters obviously would), but things are still very early and I don't want to jinx anything. :ohdear:

But thanks everyone.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Does this mean you’re getting a child seat for the peloton?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

please knock Mom! posted:

Does this mean you’re getting a child seat for the peloton?

LMFAO

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Someone at my office quit today after working there for 9 years.

They would have qualified for a pension (it would have been a greatly reduced one, but still...) if they stayed another year.

The reason they quit?

Unvaccinated people are required to wear masks in the office. This person was going mask-less and also telling people about how they heard about all these side-effects of the vaccine and that mRNA can potentially alter your genes.

Another employee reported them to HR to make them wear a mask because they assumed they weren't vaccinated. The person claimed they were vaccinated, HR asked them to bring in proof or wear a mask until you do, and then they quit.

That was a very expensive solution to avoiding a 10 cent mask or a free vaccine.

bergeoisie
Aug 29, 2004
Horse content: best content

quote:

Burner Account

I (25F) and my BF (25M) are in medical school and law school respectively. We lived together for 2 years in one apartment and this year moved to our new city where the cost of living is higher than before.

In the old apartment, I was in undergrad and he was working as a mechanic. We agreed that I would move in and pay him what my parents gave me for housing and that seemed like a good situation. This ended up in about a 60/40 split in the apartment. He had already been living there and this was more of a windfall than a detriment to him. When I graduated and was accepted to medical school and he to law school in the same city we were thrilled that we would be able to continue to live together so we could build a life. When he asked about my living arrangements and how we would split the new place and I told him that I would have significant debt from med school and didnt want to take out anymore. He seemed upset but his scholarship and military status meant he wouldn't have a lot of debt coming out and we would sacrificed in the apartment and where we lived but he agreed.

When I started med school and took out my loans, I took additional money out as a nest egg in case I needed it. I did not tell him about the loans. The arrangement ended up that my parents paid my rent the same as before and he paid the rest. Now more along the lines of 70/30 split with the increase in costs. Now that the school year is over I still have my nest egg, I want to use it buy my first horse as I am a professional horse rider for others. This horse is about $10,000 and I have arrangements for low stable fees. The horses lineage could mean that this would be a great investment long term as well as achieving a life long goal. I told this to my BF and offered him to buy in to the investment and now he's very upset with me and wants to talk later.

TLDR: My BF paid the majority of the bills over 3 years so I wouldn't take out loans for room and board for graduate school. I took out loans without him knowing and want to buy a horse with them since the school year is over.

AITA?

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Congrats RE, I assume you're going with the traditional middle name zaurg regardless of gender?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

moana posted:

Congrats RE, I assume you're going with the traditional middle name zaurg regardless of gender?

Bluestory Zaurg Evil does have a nice ring to it.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
It has to be Pnurtis

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Sexcopter

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Chin Strap posted:

It has to be Pnurtis

Wrong thread’s lore.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

bergeoisie posted:

Stable fees? No, stable fees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

bergeoisie posted:

Something tells me his parents aren't paying his rent...