Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

exquisite tea posted:

I've gotten refunds on a ton of Steam games for extremely specious reasons, and I've never received so much as a warning email. There's basically no reason not to use Steam to demo new games and I highly recommend it!

I never look at the email they send after the refund approves and not too long ago I noticed that like the last 15 refunds have had the "You refund too much and may be cut off" message that they put in the email but yeah I've never been denied one (yet 🤞)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

StrixNebulosa posted:

Simona's Requiem - 6$, haven't played yet but picked up on the strength of this curator rec: ""A lovely pixel art metroidvania with great graphics, cozy atmosphere, and a nice soundtrack. Focusing on mastering jumps and combos rather than avoiding traps, it's best suited for non-average players"

A very short but well-made little action platformer. Not nearly as difficult as this person makes out but I counted it a well-spent 4 or 5 hours and remember it fondly. Hope you like it!

exquisite tea posted:

I've gotten refunds on a ton of Steam games for extremely specious reasons, and I've never received so much as a warning email. There's basically no reason not to use Steam to demo new games and I highly recommend it!

I'm a pro at accidentally letting the game run for like 15 minutes above the limit on accident

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Begemot posted:

The historical stuff in Nioh is hilarious, it's the equivalent of "what if George Washington was a wizard and defeated the British with his magical powers". There are real, historical people in Nioh 2 that are portrayed as being half-yokai.

My favorite thing is that the protagonist of Nioh 2 is (an actual mid-game spoiler) ALSO a real, historical person, but only in combination with your merchant buddy. You are both conglomerated by history into Toyotomi Hideyoshi. I'm glad they didn't do the invasion of Korea as the DLC....

Yeah I love this way of doing alt-history. The shape of history and the names involved are mostly the same but the details of how things happen and why and motivations and exactly who these people are is completely bonkers.

I also love the sort of in joke they make about Japanese alt-history where Oda Nobunaga never really fucks with the supernatural. He sends you to deal with demons but never summons them himself. But his relentless ambition drives everyone else to desperately summon all the demons to try and stop him. Basically the opposite of most series that involve Nobunaga and the supernatural.

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

Buller posted:

There is more to a game than who the devs are :).

Also, you don’t have to don’t financially support assholes :3:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

Also got Blood, is it supposed to be super hard or am I just garbage?

A bit late to the party, but along with what everyone else already said an oft-forgotten mechanic in Blood is that ducking will actually throw off hitscan enemies (and if I remember right they sometimes do the same to you).

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
How is Cyberpunk nowadays? Would it have been a better received game if it just materialized into existence in November instead of like 10 years of dev time, or are there flaws making it a game not worth the time?

I already own it, but I got it near launch and there was some weirdness and my 3070 felt immediately old running it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

There's 20 hours of a really good story and interesting characters buried under 40 feet of one of the crappiest open worlds and unsatisfying RPG systems I've ever experienced in a video game. It would be easier if Cyberpunk 2077 was an entirely bad game, but it's not. Just an extremely frustrating one.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Mescal posted:

Ooh, I'm excited on your behalf. If you want a co-op buddy I'm always down for another run.

Yea I'm enjoying it so far. I don't know if its going to be easier to switch characters eventually, as I might want the crossbow guy or the crazy lady eventually, but I'm enjoying the elf, the skelly and the lizardman.

Rinkles posted:

Well I applied for two refunds cause they "weren't fun". Let's see how that works out.

I bought RUST early on, as Neebs Gaming has been doing a series on it and its pretty fun from their video. Figured even if there wasn't goons i could play solo, but nope, no solo mode. Refunded it and getting DOSII was the best idea.

Kingdom Come Deliverance was just so boring. I played it on Game Pass and when it showed me 4 pages of instructions on how to fight, i was gently caress this. I've seen some videos about how the game is obsessed with being realistic to a point that makes it incredibly unfun, like having to just wait around for the in game time to change so you can sneak out of your room.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
My haul during the actual sale was -

Splendor - Just getting a digital copy of the already excellent boardgame for cheap, and the AI delivers well enough. The puzzle variants are interesting, but in a "pick up and try this every so often" sort of way. Maybe i'm just bad at puzzles/video games though.

Phoning Home and Satisfactory are gift trades/freebies from Goons, which I haven't played yet. It's kind of a small amount, but my backlog's already a mile long because I buy a few good deals a month rather than wait for buying a ton at sales... and i'm too busy being distracted by clicker games anyway.

EDIT: I guess if I count all purchases over the last month, I can throw these in as well:

Risk of Rain 2 - Got my rear end kicked, lowered the difficulty to easy mode and had a few okay runs. Don't really see myself going back to it, but it was probably just on the borderline of being worth the price.

Terraria - Totally bounced off of it, just did not feel satisfying to me for some reason, despite enjoying a bunch of other survival games. Can't return due to 3rd party vendor, but it was only $5, so not the world's biggest loss.

Wildermyth - Enjoyed it a lot, should probably go back and finish at least the last two non-scripted campaigns. Not sure about long term staying power because Normal difficulty's too easy and the first Hard difficulty is a little too punishing early on, and I started seeing the proc-gen events looping in successive campaigns. But I love some of the narratives it created, like my lonely but sensitive Ranger born under a star fated for doom. Who formed a rivalry with the party's primary fighter, a couple with the party's primary mage, and got transformed into a werewolf except for one hand, which he used to deliver crossbow death from afar, when he didn't feel like just zooming in from halfway across the map to bite an enemy's head off.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jul 8, 2021

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
Is there one deckbuilding and/or strategy roguelike that stands above the others? I own Slay the Spire and Griftlands already, and right now I'm looking for a hybrid rather than a pure card game.

Some games on my wishlist:

Hadean Tactics
Trials of Fire
The Last Spell

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
I enjoy seeing lists of hauls, in past years I've looked up some games people post that I may never have heard about otherwise.

I bought Scourge of War: Waterloo, a much more complicated looking (by my first impression) Total War battle-like game but looks really interesting from videos and reviews I looked at. The instructions are pretty dense and I have not had the time to go through it yet. A chance I could end up refunding it, but I think it will be really rewarding in the long run if I put in the time to learn the game. The graphics look like rear end but that can be forgiven

That was the only game. I bought two pieces of DLC:

The Silence & The Fury, Total War Warhammer 2 DLC. Maybe this doesn't count as a sale haul since the discount is normal for TWW2 dlc preorder but I bought this stuff all together so I'm counting it. I am super looking forward to it. Every dlc for this game is like another 10-20 hour campaign x2, great value and tons of fun. I am so deep in this game I have purchased all the dlc (except total warhammer 1's wood elves, gently caress the wood elves) send help

Hercules ship DLC for Naval Action. Naval Action is a frustrating and mostly bad niche age of sail mmo that's dying and it's terribly, horrendously grindy and not at all newbie or casual friendly but the ship combat is really cool and fun and sadly there is no other game doing age of sail combat as good or at all so I am stuck with all the bad parts of the game just for the cool ship combat. You lose your ships for good when they sink but a DLC ship can be redeemed once a day (but FYI they dont even come with cannons and you have to be high enough rank to crew them :argh:) and so I can mess around in the combat and not care if my cheap DLC ship dies to deadlier player-crafted ships or the AI.

At release long ago I casually played with goons and some goon made this fine piece of art for our clan that I'll repost here so it's not lost to time forever:

Nonzero chance I panic buy something I don't have time for right before the sale ends :negative:

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Lt. Lizard posted:

What? No! You are either confusing the games, or whoever gave you that advice is. Like, it has an independent story so you could theoretically play it first, but even just the basic setting of Mooncrash indirectly spoils a lot about the events and even then ending of the main game. Mechanically, it's also an evolution of the base game in many respects, so going back to Prey after finishing Mooncrash will seem like a step backward. Mooncrash is absolutely something you should play after beating Prey first.

for those thinking I'm making this up :shrug:

Diephoon posted:

Mooncrash saved vanilla Prey for me. Mooncrash is a great way to try out the various ways to play Prey and find out what you like before you play the main campaign. Turns out it's fun to feel powerful with a gun build or a power build and not so much just sneaking and hacking.

I appreciate all the recco's for going through the main game first tho

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

buglord posted:

How is Cyberpunk nowadays? Would it have been a better received game if it just materialized into existence in November instead of like 10 years of dev time, or are there flaws making it a game not worth the time?

I already own it, but I got it near launch and there was some weirdness and my 3070 felt immediately old running it.

It's got a ton of great ideas covered in a spray of poo poo. Seems like it was much more Deus Ex originally then mashed into a GTA-esque clone at the last minute.

Everything with the driving is trash, like $5 meme games have better driving implementation.

Leveling your charactering is 10x more complicated then it needs to be yet by level 10 you'll probably be an unstoppable god no matter what. You raise 1 of 5 main states with body points. Each main stat has 2-3 skill trees, with like 25-30 perks which you have to buy with perk points. In order to unlock perks you have to level the skill trees through use, like Oblivion. Every time you level a skill you also get a bonus % increase or similar.

The game world is loving packed with junk and trash items. You'll be selling tons of it for cash and always looking like a clown as you swap for the newest clothing with the best armor.

Crafting is nice in theory, but requires a massive amount of perks before you really get access to the best stuff.

Open world exploration is a hassle UNLESS you get the double jump legs then it's amazing as you scale buildings to access vents/windows to break into enemy locations.

The map is nice, if cluttered, and the highlighted paths to objectives are pretty good at getting you to the right areas given the sheer verticality of the city.

Story is interesting, the world and lore are definitely a highlight. Keanu Reeves is just playing himself as an angry rage man and many of the VAs are atrocious, like they took the first take and moved on.

Worth $40 on a good PC for the pretty graphics and ability to mod in some fixes. It has some charm in general as a FPS-RPG in the vein of Deus Ex but suffers from being forced into a GTA style engine.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

DOS2

twistedmentat posted:

Yea I'm enjoying it so far. I don't know if its going to be easier to switch characters eventually, as I might want the crossbow guy or the crazy lady eventually, but I'm enjoying the elf, the skelly and the lizardman.

There is a point where you can't switch characters any more, but I wouldn't sweat it. You've got a good team. Ask me if you need build advice, nonspoiler hints, etc. I know that game... almost encyclopedically.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
By the way, since Skyrim SE is 60% off that means you can play Enderal Forgotton Stories SE for 60% off. It's the best Gothic game since Gothic 2 and also the best Bethesda-style game since Morrowind. Just a well told Adventure-RPG with lots of handcrafted places and no stupid filler caves, a slightly more guided open world progression through somewhat distinct areas divided by strategically placed mountain ranges, and a main plot and related side quests that make up the majority of the content. Immensively impressive work for a free mod.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

pentyne posted:

Leveling your charactering is 10x more complicated then it needs to be yet by level 10 you'll probably be an unstoppable god no matter what. You raise 1 of 5 main states with body points. Each main stat has 2-3 skill trees, with like 25-30 perks which you have to buy with perk points. In order to unlock perks you have to level the skill trees through use, like Oblivion. Every time you level a skill you also get a bonus % increase or similar.

Unless it has been fixed since I played it, the RPG scaling is all hosed up. The game starts with every enemy being a huge bullet sponge, taking a full 30-round assault rifle mag or more to kill, so the combat is a boring slog. At some point as you level up, you hit some kind of tipping point where now every enemy is dying in one hit, and the game is boring in the other direction.

Also the enemy variety is dire. There's basically Man With Gun and Man With Knife, with the most basic possible AI for each. They could've had enemies with all sorts of cybernetic abilities, but instead, an enemy having cybernetics means they play one canned "dodge side to side" animation while they run at you with their knife.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
funny, the game i asked for a refund second, got refunded first. i assumed it would be automatic and quicker.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Jossar posted:

Wildermyth - Enjoyed it a lot, should probably go back and finish at least the last two non-scripted campaigns. Not sure about long term staying power because Normal difficulty's too easy and the first Hard difficulty is a little too punishing early on, and I started seeing the proc-gen events looping in successive campaigns. But I love some of the narratives it created, like my lonely but sensitive Ranger born under a star fated for doom. Who formed a rivalry with the party's primary fighter, a couple with the party's primary mage, and got transformed into a werewolf except for one hand, which he used to deliver crossbow death from afar, when he didn't feel like just zooming in from halfway across the map to bite an enemy's head off.

The last two campaigns (Eluna and the Moth, All the Bones of Summer) are on a whole other level compared to the first three. Definitely go back to play them.

edit: make sure to bring your biggest badasses as the returning Legacy characters, because they ain't fooling around

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I feel I asked this an age ago, but I'm looking for a chill terraforming game. Load it, listen to a podcast, and go from "I'm going to make a hole with water and a cute plant" to "Ok well I guess there's a whole ecosystem here, now."

Hard to explain what I want, sorry.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

MisterBibs posted:

I feel I asked this an age ago, but I'm looking for a chill terraforming game. Load it, listen to a podcast, and go from "I'm going to make a hole with water and a cute plant" to "Ok well I guess there's a whole ecosystem here, now."

I think what you want is Terra Nil from your description, but I haven't played it myself to confirm how good it is.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

pentyne posted:

If we're posting hauls
Horizon Zero Dawn: Mocked on release because it was compared to Breath of the Wild but has insane staying power where people keep talking about it regularly on these forums

There aren't a lot of games now that pull me in and keep me in the way games did when I was a kid, but HZD is one of them. Great gameplay, great backstory, incredible acting. It's definitely in my top ten games of all time and maybe even top five. You'll love it.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Jossar posted:

I think what you want is Terra Nil from your description, but I haven't played it myself to confirm how good it is.

Yep it's good but it's not out yet, the less pretty but more than one level alpha/demo is free on itch

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
How are the KB+M controls in Halo Master Chief Collection?

Can you disable acceleration?
All keys bindable?
Good FoV adjustment?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Play posted:

I feel like you're the only one on these forums who could list a bunch of games they bought and I don't fully recognize any of them. Some sound vaguely familiar, but still
no joke, half the games I bought didn't even get added to steamcompletionist because it's not in their database lol

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

MisterBibs posted:

Birthdays the Beginning? Creatura?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Crossposting borderlands question:

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

interested in some current goon takes on BL3 as a singleplayer game before the sale is over. I was a big fan of BL2 years back, must have made 4 different mechromancers to run through TVHM since I couldn't get enough of anarchy. However, I felt like the level scaling was out of control to the point of being horrible when they added the levels over 50 with UVHM, and the drop rates were extremely bad. How is BL3 about these things?

I heard complaints about the story and writing being painful and unfunny; I actually enjoyed plenty of BL2's humor but from what I've seen of BL3, it's either legitimately worse or I've just grown up since then. is it mostly something you can grit your teeth and ignore during the gameplay or are there a lot of unskippable cutscenes?

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I can't comment on TVHM/extended game for any of the BL games since I always usually just one and done through the campaign+DLC then start fresh. For the story, it's about the same level of funny as BL2 (AKA monkey cheese with the occasional landed joke). There's a couple forced cutscenes like 2 as well where you just have to watch the awful plot progress, but otherwise you can just ignore the blathering and keep killing things.

Edit: They also hosed up writing a couple characters from Tales from the Borderlands when shoehorning them in.

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jul 8, 2021

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The humor sucks but its borderlands so it's expected and yeah you can get through it. I thoroughly enjoyed playing BL3 with a friend of mine. The loot felt more varied and interesting and all of the classes had some cool poo poo you could do with them. I say go for it, especially if you can convince a friend or friends to take the dive too.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

If you were a big BL2 fan I think you'd like BL3. Yes the story and jokes are a bit dated, but it's pretty much the exact same kind of writing that was in BL2. It just suffers a bit because it doesn't have an antagonist as good as Handsome Jack. For the most part you can ignore it but I'm pretty sure there are still plenty of unskippable 'listen to NPC blah blah before they open a door or whatever' type of cutscenes.

Honestly though I feel like if you have patience for that stuff in BL2 it is basically just more of the same in BL3. I can't really comment on the high level stuff since I get bored of post-game grinding really fast and didn't really bother.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1455840/Dorfromantik/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1372320/Cloud_Gardens/

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Floodkiller posted:

There's a couple forced cutscenes like 2 as well where you just have to watch the awful plot progress, but otherwise you can just ignore the blathering and keep killing things.
Standing around watching awful plot progress is like 70% of my memories of the game. It was almost as bad as Rage.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

the important thing is that tiny tina only shows up 2 times in the entire game

which is still two times too many of course

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Tiny Tina is in BL3 a bunch I think?? It certainly felt like an eternity at least

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
It's just Tina now though since she's all grown up.

Also she owns.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Nordick posted:

It's just Tina now though since she's all grown up.

Also she owns.

:stare:

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Will I like Borderlands 3? Here's what I didn't like about Borderlands 2:

1. No "modern" full auto assault rifles with good iron sights. You had to choose between gun brand A: decent aim but limited to 3-round burst, or gun brand B: full auto but dogshit accuracy
2. Have to play through the 50 hour campaign 3 times to complete a single character build
3. The end game had the worst bullet sponge enemies in any game ever made. Empty 3 full clips into a single no-name mob that does not react to taking damage, but can 2-shot you.

Actually, remembering all that stuff... gently caress Borderlands. The bullet sponge enemies and Randy Pitchford can suck my balls. I wouldn't buy Borderlands 3 if they gave it away.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I feel like I’d have to be in a pretty dark place to play borderlands

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Now that the "Switch Pro" was really just "Switch with OLED screen", I think that the "SteamBoy" may have a chance to actually gain some traction. Provided it actually releases.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I feel like I’d have to be in a pretty dark place to play borderlands

was on the same page as you hear but this poster just said tiny tina owns so. perhaps it sgood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Bonerlands