Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://twitter.com/FinalFantasy/status/1412758730949677058

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
When the entire postal system fell apart because one moogle wouldn’t stop lubing up.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I mentioned this not too long ago but I will never forget my first run of FFIX. The ending was that perfect blend of bittersweet - sweet because I was totally satisfied and bitter because it was over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye7BGnlTZmQ

For me today, Melodies of Life has a nostalgic power like few other songs.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I don't have any real adoration or nostalgia for IX but the scenes where the summons are summoned will always stick with me when I think about it. Especially Alexander.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Still my favorite FF after all these years. Something about playing it just feels like coming home.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I played it once a thousand years ago, it was fine, more of a throwback. I recognize that many people think it’s one of the best and I won’t contest that or anything but it’s Just Fine to me!

Maybe I should give it another go!

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

After 7 and 8 it was kind of meant as a throw back and send off before they took things in a different direction. If you've enjoyed more modern FF games more I think thinking 9 is Just Fine is pretty on the mark. It's up there for me but largely because of it's art and all the little different bits of it's world, Zidane and Dagger and the overall story are less attractive to me than the art design of essentially everything else. Even the big fantastical cities and locations in 9 don't feel like the big fantastical cities and locations in 7, 8, 13, etc.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

jokes posted:

I played it once a thousand years ago, it was fine, more of a throwback. I recognize that many people think it’s one of the best and I won’t contest that or anything but it’s Just Fine to me!

Maybe I should give it another go!

There is absolutely nothing objective about my opinion of it, honestly. It's pretty heavily flawed in a lot of ways. But the things it does well endear it to me a lot, and it does those things amazingly. Vivi's arc is a big standout--I really think his arc is one of the best-written character arcs in the whole series--and I also absolutely love how colorful and alive the world feels. There's so much detail in every city and random NPCs have so much personality. I love it a lot.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I still can’t believe that IX, X, and XI were announced at the same time lol

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

FF9's lovely strategy guide was probably the only thing that kept me from becoming a full fledged final fantasy obsessed teen. Considering what I decided to be obsessed with instead I lost out big time

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

That strategy guide was hilariously bad. I'm pretty sure I still have my copy somewhere, too.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

No Mods No Masters posted:

FF9's lovely strategy guide was probably the only thing that kept me from becoming a full fledged final fantasy obsessed teen. Considering what I decided to be obsessed with instead I lost out big time

This is also one of the reasons I was put off of IX for a while. I had this garbage guide and I gave it to a friend for free because I hated it so much.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The only reason I bought the guide was because I didn’t have internet at the time. :negative:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I think the guide ironically locked myself in using Gamefaqs instead because we had internet but PlayOnline was a multimedia trainwreck that took 5 minutes to load a page on dialup.

I miss a good early 2000s Gamefaqs guide because there was a certain magic intersection of detail and brevity that let you log into dialup, get enough info to satisfy you for an afternoon, and remember it or take notes because you aren't allowed to print anything. Then log off before you're yelled at for tying up the phone.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I replayed it earlier this year and it remains my favorite. Not only is it charming as hell, the dialogue is actually well written and with clear intent, unlike some of the gibberish from VIII and earlier. Vivi is a standout as everyone knows, but Dagger is in my opinion extremely underrated. Her arc is fairly typical (sheltered princess to confident adventurer) but it’s played straight and it’s solid. She also plays off Zidane and doesn’t buy into his bullshit.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

Promyvion in Chains of Promathia. Some mobs were sight aggro, some sound aggro, nobody wanted to fight them and the (bad) gimmick of the place was getting 18 folks through there who would then split into groups of 6 to do the actual fight. That's the kind of exploring puzzle I enjoy, so I and others from my linkshell set ourselves up as guides and charged people to get their party to the end.

Edit: oops I read XI instead of IX.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Honestly? No one specific moment stands out, 9 is amazing because start-to-finish it's just solid as hell. Very little real downtime or padding, and the story flows perfectly.

I guess getting to Terra for the first time was pretty :aaaaa:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Bruceski posted:

Promyvion in Chains of Promathia. Some mobs were sight aggro, some sound aggro, nobody wanted to fight them and the (bad) gimmick of the place was getting 18 folks through there who would then split into groups of 6 to do the actual fight. That's the kind of exploring puzzle I enjoy, so I and others from my linkshell set ourselves up as guides and charged people to get their party to the end.

Edit: oops I read XI instead of IX.

I feel like charging people for essential things was a major part of what kept XI's economy going

Did they ever allow you to teleport between cities or are you still stuck paying a white mage to teleport you 1-2 zones away from the city you're trying to get to

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Every second in treno is the best memory of FFIX.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
FF9 is just okay in my book but I really like Steiner a lot. I feel like he would have been a little better if he was portrayed more professionally (I hate that him having rusty armor is actually real, and not just something Zidane says to annoy him, though maybe it's a matter of "Men in Alexandria are treated like they're incompetent so they're given the poo poo equipment"), but I still think he's a great character and it's interesting watching him go from exceptionally loyal to the queen to having his doubts to finally deciding to turn against her. He's basically a father figure to Garnet too, he clearly cares a great deal about her even beyond just guarding her life (saying things like that she shouldn't experience war like he has).

Also my favorite moment in FF9 is when Quina does anything.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I feel like charging people for essential things was a major part of what kept XI's economy going

Did they ever allow you to teleport between cities or are you still stuck paying a white mage to teleport you 1-2 zones away from the city you're trying to get to

do you have to actually, like, travel to get places in FFXI?

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Do you think Quina is the one raising Vivi's kids after he dies?

Since they're married and all

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I think my favorite part of IX was the very Shakespearean comedy setpiece at the start of Disc 2? 3? With Eiko's lost love letter, and all the convenient coincidences and misunderstandings it leads to.

But yeah, IX was just super charming and endearing throughout for me.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
In this house we

Love Bobby Corwin

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

grieving for Gandalf posted:

do you have to actually, like, travel to get places in FFXI?

I stopped playing when the Abyssea stuff came out, so before the last full-fledged expansion Seekers of Adoulin, but yeah, your options for travelling long-distance, IIRC, were:
-on foot with a wing and a prayer
-chocobo
-airships that ran 4 times a day between each destination, if you missed it you had to hang out and wait for the next one
-Teleport-_____ spells, only learned by white mages, which would teleport you to one of the Crags, big story-important landmarks that existed a zone or 2 away from the major hubs

You'd walk into Jueno (the 4th "neutral" nation aside from the 3 major starter nations you chose from) and just get a wall of /shouts "Tele-Dem <do you need it?> 3000 <gil>

the zones were big, too - I remember hoofing it from my starter city Bastok to Jueno and it took something like 30+ minutes? all the while dodging enemies 30-40 levels higher than me most of the way :v:

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I stopped playing when the Abyssea stuff came out, so before the last full-fledged expansion Seekers of Adoulin, but yeah, your options for travelling long-distance, IIRC, were:
-on foot with a wing and a prayer
-chocobo
-airships that ran 4 times a day between each destination, if you missed it you had to hang out and wait for the next one
-Teleport-_____ spells, only learned by white mages, which would teleport you to one of the Crags, big story-important landmarks that existed a zone or 2 away from the major hubs

You'd walk into Jueno (the 4th "neutral" nation aside from the 3 major starter nations you chose from) and just get a wall of /shouts "Tele-Dem <do you need it?> 3000 <gil>

the zones were big, too - I remember hoofing it from my starter city Bastok to Jueno and it took something like 30+ minutes? all the while dodging enemies 30-40 levels higher than me most of the way :v:

I know that'd be a big pain but it almost sounds neat

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I remember getting FFX on ps2 and my console was in my basement whereas the family computer was on the 2nd floor, so after realizing running up to the computer constantly to check gamefaqs, I finally started strategically printing guides I needed. A very early 2000s statement.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

It was and it was

The difficulty of travel definitely made ffxi's world feel much bigger than it truly was and made getting chocobo/airship access very rewarding

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

It was both. Traveling had a sense of danger and blind exploration that no other game has captured for me (I didn’t play Everquest or other contemporary MMOs) and the impossibility of doing any content that was level appropriate solo actually fostered a decent sense of community and cooperation in the player base.

It was also an ungodly time sink that required an hour to do anything of worth outside of smithing/trading, and that is if you had a preset group that was ready to go right away. Otherwise you would want at least two plus hours to try to do anything besides goof around.

I have a lot of fond memories of FFXI, but I’m under no delusion that it wasn’t an incredible time sink with a ton of barriers to enjoying it that could only be overcome by people with huge chunks of time to devote to it.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
That era of MMOs generally had the goal of giving you a second life in every possible sense. A lot of time the equation closed in on itself and your second life was worse than your first life.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Chesterton once remarked that an adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered, and an inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered.

Pretty much every video game is a balancing act between adventure and inconvenience.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

IX isn't my favorite but it's the one I get the urge to replay the most. It's just very well done.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

It was a pain but that first walk from Bastok to Jueno was one of the most memorable experiences in an MMO I've had, the scenery was gorgeous, there was a ton of lore-relevant architecture and natural features that were that much more impressive because I had no idea what their relevance was.

For example, there's a loving gigantic spine just chilling across half the map in one zone

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Yeah XI now lets you pay a very small amount of gil to freely teleport between home points and survival guide books you've accessed before and there's a ring that will cast Warp with a ten minute recast. Also mounts. But you do have to go to those places to begin with which means boats, airship pass etc

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
IX was my first “real” JRPG, like I played games with RPG mechanics through my childhood/adolescence like the Mega Man Battle Network series, a bunch of Pokémon, and Mario and Luigi, but IX was the first that was a sprawling fantasy adventure that was like a full 30 hour game with a game-spanning side quest on top of that that took full advantage of the world map. The battle system (or rather, it’s speed) has aged poorly, some of the characters are underutilized, but poo poo, having IX be your first FF title is retroactively a hell of a trip cause there’s references to every prior game from stuff like Trance to the real subtle stuff like Bobby Corwen.

So umm, I guess every moment in 9 is memorable, I can still recite the exact order stuff happens and even minutiae like a lot of the random encounters.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
It's kind of weird that in general Final Fantasy hasn't introduced something like the Zoom spell from Dragon Quest that lets you easily revisit earlier towns. It can't even be because "You get an airship in FF" because you get some sort of flight vehicle in most DQ games too.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Twelve by Pies posted:

It's kind of weird that in general Final Fantasy hasn't introduced something like the Zoom spell from Dragon Quest that lets you easily revisit earlier towns. It can't even be because "You get an airship in FF" because you get some sort of flight vehicle in most DQ games too.

the world maps of various FFs feel much more iconic to me than other games. I couldn't tell you the general shape of BoF2's map if I tried

BoF3 doesn't have a warp that I can remember, and I'm way more nostalgic for that too

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Do we think FFXVI will be in tomorrow's State of Play

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Travelling was honestly one of the best experiences of WoW. Especially dodging through higher levelled areas and having to stay out of range of like a giant T-Rex or something. Even flying between cities was chill where you can just enjoy the scenery.

I don't know if they've sped up the travelling process since I left (like 3-4 expansions ago), but even if it took up a lot of time, it was just kinda nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Do we think FFXVI will be in tomorrow's State of Play

hell I didn't even know State of Play was tomorrow