Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

RCarr posted:

Yea it’s all the paranoid people burying gold and silver in their backyard so they can be the Mad Max overlord.

BigPaddy posted:

Because you can eat gold and silver right?

I was going to point this out. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You can of course. Should you? Now there's the question

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

$GOON up 2% today boys who wants a ride on my yacht

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

cr0y posted:

In other news wtf is driving everyone to be out of silver and gold coins? As a family tradition I always gift coins to my nieces and like....everyone is out of stock? Did everyone buy up all the coins pre-covid assuming a total economic meltdown?

Gold is a classic inflation hedge, between that and probable supply chain issues I'm not surprised they're scarce.

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

Thank you AAPL for coming back to life.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

There is a silver shortage. The mint has had to delay several highly anticipated new coins because they can't get enough. Not sure what is driving it exactly but gold/silver bugs is always a good bet.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Are we tracking Goon stock recommendations by chance? Given that we've got a good day trading community, it'd be fun to track our wins/losses?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Are we tracking Goon stock recommendations by chance? Given that we've got a good day trading community, it'd be fun to track our wins/losses?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

How do you guys manage the quarterly estimated tax payments to the IRS? I just realized I am probably in for an rear end-loving because I am way in the green so far in 2021 and haven't done poo poo with the IRS yet (but am basically setting 30% aside to square up at the end of the year). I am getting totally conflicting information as to whether or not I need to do this quarterly poo poo or just cut a fat check to uncle sam in April of 2022 for my fat-meme-gainzz from 2021.

If it matters I am not *technically* considered a day trader via FINRA rules and have a day job that is my main source of income.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

cr0y posted:

a day trader via FINRA rules and have a day job that is my main source of income.

How much capital do you need to day trade as your main source of income and not immediately gently caress yourself financially

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Hadlock posted:

How much capital do you need to day trade as your main source of income and not immediately gently caress yourself financially

I said *not* a day trader according to FINRA, and am not sure what you mean?

I made low 5 figures in 2021 so far (thanks memes!) And my day job salary is about 5x what I made trading the memes that we all know and love. Right now I am mostly cash and am trying to figure out if I need to act and pay the IRS asap or just sock it away and wait until I file in April

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

cr0y posted:

How do you guys manage the quarterly estimated tax payments to the IRS? I just realized I am probably in for an rear end-loving because I am way in the green so far in 2021 and haven't done poo poo with the IRS yet (but am basically setting 30% aside to square up at the end of the year). I am getting totally conflicting information as to whether or not I need to do this quarterly poo poo or just cut a fat check to uncle sam in April of 2022 for my fat-meme-gainzz from 2021.

If it matters I am not *technically* considered a day trader via FINRA rules and have a day job that is my main source of income.

Are you paying the same amount of taxes from your day job withholdings as your total taxes paid in 2020? 110% if you make over $150K? If so you likely are exempt from having to file quarterly this year.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/the-basics-of-estimated-taxes-for-individuals

So if your total fed tax bill in 2020 was $20K, and you are going to end up having >$20K withheld this year because you made a little more working you should be fine.

But you then have to pay close attention in 2022 because if you owe taxes at the end of this year because of gains that is the baseline you need to target for withholding (or pay quarterly if you have gains next year too).

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

cr0y posted:

I said *not* a day trader according to FINRA, and am not sure what you mean?

I made low 5 figures in 2021 so far (thanks memes!) And my day job salary is about 5x what I made trading the memes that we all know and love. Right now I am mostly cash and am trying to figure out if I need to act and pay the IRS asap or just sock it away and wait until I file in April

I'm not a tax auditor (probably) I'm just generally curious what the magic day trader number is. Obviously it's somewhere above $25,000

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Arzakon posted:

Are you paying the same amount of taxes from your day job withholdings as your total taxes paid in 2020? 110% if you make over $150K? If so you likely are exempt from having to file quarterly this year.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/the-basics-of-estimated-taxes-for-individuals

So if your total fed tax bill in 2020 was $20K, and you are going to end up having >$20K withheld this year because you made a little more working you should be fine.

But you then have to pay close attention in 2022 because if you owe taxes at the end of this year because of gains that is the baseline you need to target for withholding (or pay quarterly if you have gains next year too).

My yearly salary from my day job hasn't changed in several years (with the exception of small yearly raises and bonuses but it's pretty flat).

Basically my ballpark math is:
Day job paid the IRS about 35k last year and will be similar this year.

I figure I owe about 8k on cap gains so far in 2021 according to my eTrade reporting.

I did very little trading in 2020 and paid the IRS out of what would have been my return when I filed last April.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I usually pay estimated quarterly on my trading by looking at my balance and coming up with a % I expect to gain based on past performance, work out the tax on that amount and divide by four. If after Q1 I am ahead or behind I adjust the next estimates payments. Of course under payment penalties are bullshit and just a government grift for take more money from those who haven’t read the necronomicon that is the US tax code.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

thanks for coming to my ted finance talk

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Thanks thread for recommending thinkorswim, this desktop app is incredible.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Syrinxx posted:

l

The cruise industry stocks have been crushed. They are coming up on earnings season so bought some put calendars to balance my portfolio a bit to the downside and it worked out. Of course that is tempered by I went to call calendars for the airline stocks which are doing earnings around the same time and :hurr:

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

cr0y posted:

Basically my ballpark math is:
Day job paid the IRS about 35k last year and will be similar this year.

Did you owe or get a refund at the end of the year in 2020? Your final 2020 federal income tax number is what matters when comparing to your 2021 withholding to see if you owe.

I imagine you are >$150K with that tax bill, which means if your withholding stayed the same you are going to be under 110% of last years total tax and could owe a penalty unless you drop a check to the IRS.

(also blah blah blah Im just a dude on the internet who read the irs guidance not a tax lawyer)

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Arzakon posted:

Did you owe or get a refund at the end of the year in 2020? Your final 2020 federal income tax number is what matters when comparing to your 2021 withholding to see if you owe.

I imagine you are >$150K with that tax bill, which means if your withholding stayed the same you are going to be under 110% of last years total tax and could owe a penalty unless you drop a check to the IRS.

(also blah blah blah Im just a dude on the internet who read the irs guidance not a tax lawyer)

I got a paltry refund. My withholding is almost on the dot every year but I usually get like a grand back. All my income in 2021 will be under 150k if I had to guesstimate.

Christ US tax law is a load of nonsense.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

cr0y posted:

I got a paltry refund. My withholding is almost on the dot every year but I usually get like a grand back. All my income in 2021 will be under 150k if I had to guesstimate.

Christ US tax law is a load of nonsense.

Yes, it is. Last time I was in that situation I adjusted my withholdings to avoid the headache, but I very much get why you try to make it as tight as possible. drat gummit should cut the rate if they want my money in advance.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Goddamnit now I need to find a CPA

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french

Syrinxx posted:

I'm in the same boat with CUK. It's basically CCL but it has a funny name. I was expecting cruises to come back by now (or at least the stocks) but with Delta variant and Europe's slow roll out, not sure how long it will take.

Or if it will even affect the stock at all.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

dipwood posted:

I'm in the same boat with CUK. It's basically CCL but it has a funny name. I was expecting cruises to come back by now (or at least the stocks) but with Delta variant and Europe's slow roll out, not sure how long it will take.

Or if it will even affect the stock at all.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i can buy GAYMF for 69 cents? 🤔

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
69 GAYMF

A sign from God!

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
Speaking of signs, with the sudden rise in price for $GOON my paltry amount of shares now looks like this:

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
Tomorrow...NDRA.....be there!

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

69 GAYMF

A sign from God!

Ive been putting all this work into becoming a big boy trader who reads charts and poo poo. Now this happens? Absolutely not fair.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

DapperDraculaDeer posted:

Ive been putting all this work into becoming a big boy trader who reads charts and poo poo. Now this happens? Absolutely not fair.

I yeeted my fun bucks into weed, BBW, and AMC and bought a top of the line TV.

I read thoughtful analysis and lost my rear end, dick, and balls on AHT.

The lesson learned here is I should only gamble when blackout drunk or completely exhausted after being awake for 3 days and the deciding factor is "lol"

Or I should get rich so I can do calls.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

The lesson learned here is I should get rich so I can do calls.

hmmm

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Surprisingly Dope posted:

Tomorrow...NDRA.....be there!

Be there at 1.95!

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Going balls deep into $GAYMF tomorrow.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

cr0y posted:

Going balls deep into $GAYMF tomorrow.

:hmmyes:

bobz0r
Jul 8, 2008

I have faith in us, if we don't self-destruct

youve gone and done it now

Frequent Handies
Nov 26, 2006

:yum:

Or I should get rich so I can do calls.

You don't gotta be rich, just wildly enthusiastic and right. SPX 5000C Oct 29 21 gonna print.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Frequent Handies posted:

You don't gotta be rich, just wildly enthusiastic and right. SPX 5000C Oct 29 21 gonna print.

The thing is, I have $1600 in goofball money. I'm an EMT. They don't pay us poo poo.

If I'm wrong on a call/put bet I'm go-to-prison wrong.

I'm playing the nickel slots until I can get a seat at that baccarat table.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

On an absolute degenerate whim I loaded up on 7/21 SPY 433p's before close yesterday.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

:lol: today’s gonna be savage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
Gonna have a good lol when the job report is unexpectedly terrible and everything shoots into the green.