Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think they've admitted as much that they just got Star Wars and almost immediately decided to put like 6 movies in production.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Larryb posted:

You'd think they'd have made a rough outline of the general plot of the trilogy before TFA was even put into production but it seems to me like they didn't really have a plan at all and were basically making poo poo up as they went along. Is this more or less accurate?

Classic Abrams

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Larryb posted:

You'd think they'd have made a rough outline of the general plot of the trilogy before TFA was even put into production but it seems to me like they didn't really have a plan at all and were basically making poo poo up as they went along. Is this more or less accurate?

They were having a lot of problems on the script, which was being revised/re-written a bit and ultimately I think JJ ended up starting TFA without a solid treatment in place. Let alone for the story of the entire trilogy.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Larryb posted:

They started by developing the story for Episode 7 on its own, and then about a week after it started filming, a bunch of Lucasfilm execs (plus Dave Filoni and Pablo Hidalgo) got together to brainstorm where the other two movies could go. One thing they really wanted was for Leia to be the fulcrum for Kylo's redemption, which is why they were so adamant about not killing her off between 8 and 9. They also talked about what Rey's role in the story would be, and how she connected to the other characters. They were specifically latching onto the idea that she wouldn't be related to anyone by blood, but would be adopted by the Skywalker family over the course of the series.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Larryb posted:

It's been a while since I looked at the "Art of The Force Awakens" book, but if I recall the author made a big thing of how going into production without a fixed story was a great thing, since it allowed all the artists to spread their wings creatively.
I read it before Episode 8 came out, and even then it struck me as someone trying desperately to convince an audience of something the creators themselves knew to be a bad idea.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Cheesus posted:

Well, he is running the Crimson Dawn syndicate in Solo, so there's that.

Loved Maul destroying the ship from the inside and backstabbing (given who he is, can it even be called that?) Ahsoka at the end.

Like I said, absolutely nothing.

Sammus posted:

Are you really paranoid if you’re right?

Well, he's only sorta right. Something big was coming, but it wasn't coming for him.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Dave Syndrome posted:

It's been a while since I looked at the "Art of The Force Awakens" book, but if I recall the author made a big thing of how going into production without a fixed story was a great thing, since it allowed all the artists to spread their wings creatively.
I read it before Episode 8 came out, and even then it struck me as someone trying desperately to convince an audience of something the creators themselves knew to be a bad idea.

To be fair, it absolutely can be freeing. Think (to use another Marvel example) of Iron Man which famously didn’t have a full script. Or Thor Ragnarok which went off and did it’s own thing with the characters.

The Ragnarok example is actually perfect because, when you have that kind of freedom allowed in a franchise, you have to have people on board with “Yes and”-ing the further franchise entries. And they had to rewrite Thor’s scenes in Infinity War to match the tone set by Ragnarok.

For whatever reason, Abrams just wasn’t into that and undid all of Johnson’s development.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Robot Style posted:

It's also worth considering what Filoni's 2013 ideas would have looked like. He was a Star Wars fan, but he was also a Star Wars fan. Wiping the slate clean wasn't a guarantee at that point, and although Clone Wars toed the line on continuity sometimes, Filoni is the guy who's leading the charge on incorporating elements from the EU. There's a chance that his version of the sequels would have featured Bug Orgies, or BDSM aliens dropping a moon on Chewie.

Honestly, going full off of the EU might have been a good decision. If whoever had tried to just scrape whatever they could and duct tape it together, you might have ended up with some sort of Heir to the Empire-Dark Empire merger which isn't as fun as it sounds at first.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Yeah to be honest just straight up saying "no more EU, only the movies and Clone Wars TV show are canon now" was probably the smartest decision they made.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Moon Slayer posted:

Yeah to be honest just straight up saying "no more EU, only the movies and Clone Wars TV show are canon now" was probably the smartest decision they made.

Then they get to pick the good ideas and incorporate them into new cannon with better stories.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

The Disney Star Wars definitely has the opportunity to be the MCU (or going back futher, Ultimate) version of the Expanded Universe, but so far it's just the ancillary stuff that's doing it right.

The Episode 9 redo of Dark Empire is like kicking off the MCU Spider-Man with a Clone Saga adaptation.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

If they just kept telling side stories and new stories unrelated to the Skywalker's and never did a big sprawling epic again until enough time had passed to where Skywalker was a myth again, that'd be ok with me.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Thwomp posted:

For whatever reason, Abrams just wasn’t into that and undid all of Johnson’s development.

The reason is chuds on Twitter sending death threats

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Waffleman_ posted:

The reason is chuds on Twitter sending death threats

It’s certainly part of it.

There was also Carrie Fisher’s passing, the departure of Trevorrow early in the project, and Disney’s desire “preserve” the franchise after 8’s reception by the fans as well as the desire to make 9 a finale to the entire saga.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I still think it was silly to make a big deal out of scuppering the EU, because the movies have always had the freedom to contradict and overwrite the EU, and I think even Filoni's show felt free to step on plenty of toes before Disney came along, and it was fine. And the thing is, there's actually a distinct lack of difference from the grand decanonizing of the EU because before the EU was decanonized, there was always a bit of assumption that of course if there were real sequel movies, most of that would be overwritten. Now, there's a lot of oblique references to the EU lying around that tacitly canonizes bits and pieces of it and a lot of people sorta shrug and assume a lot of EU things are still valid with regard to Star Wars as a whole, even if obviously if some kind of higher-ranking work with a bigger budget wanted to overwrite it, it'd be free to do so.

What I like least is that a lot of Disney's crop of licensed works have a sort of lack of boldness because they don't wanna retread the zaniness of the old EU.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

SlothfulCobra posted:

What I like least is that a lot of Disney's crop of licensed works have a sort of lack of boldness because they don't wanna retread the zaniness of the old EU.

It probably has more to do with them not being able to explore whole eras and characters in the books and comics because they want them left available for the various film and tv projects. All the print media creatives are kinda hamstrung into writing what is essentially only filler because of it.

High Republic has more freedom and has been more ambitious with its characters, but it’s just not that interesting because it’s not far enough removed from the Episode I-IX timeline.

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It probably has more to do with them not being able to explore whole eras and characters in the books and comics because they want them left available for the various film and tv projects. All the print media creatives are kinda hamstrung into writing what is essentially only filler because of it.

High Republic has more freedom and has been more ambitious with its characters, but it’s just not that interesting because it’s not far enough removed from the Episode I-IX timeline.

Almost like they should have just made a Knights of the Old Republic trilogy instead. Give me Darth Revan drat it! :argh:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Revan’s been namedropped tons of times in new canon, so they likely have something planned down the line and he’s off-limits as well.

I do agree that they should have just set it thousands of years prior though. 200 years before Episode 1 is still way too close to established canon to give you any real freedom or let you resist the temptation to allude to or give origins for OT events.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Isn't Aspyr supposed to be working on a KOTOR reboot?

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Revan’s been namedropped tons of times in new canon, so they likely have something planned down the line and he’s off-limits as well.

I do agree that they should have just set it thousands of years prior though. 200 years before Episode 1 is still way too close to established canon to give you any real freedom or let you resist the temptation to allude to or give origins for OT events.

Tbf I think the closer timeframe is such for the sake of illustrating the decline of the High Republic into the Republic we know from the PT. You can already see in Rising Storm (the just-released book) how it's all starting to go off the rails.

I also think Headland's Acolyte series is placed where it is (during "the final days of the High Republic era") for more-or-less the same reason.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Given the way they write the Drengir and Nihil, they'd be perfect for another Resistance-style animated series, what with the Nihil dropping Spaceballs references (This ship is huge!/Then I guess you better start running!) and the Drengir being a few plant cells short of Audrey in terms of personality (Wow! Meats with an audacious and ferocious desire to remain uneaten! It is interesting)

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Cross-Section posted:

I also think Headland's Acolyte series is placed where it is (during "the final days of the High Republic era") for more-or-less the same reason.

And Palpatine was born 2 years before the High Republic era officially ends, so what are the odds they'll do Baby Sheev as a counterpoint to baby Yoda?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Robot Style posted:

And Palpatine was born 2 years before the High Republic era officially ends, so what are the odds they'll do Baby Sheev as a counterpoint to baby Yoda?

CGI baby palpatine walking out from around the corner in the final episode to scream unlimited power and start flipping around like yoda in AOTC as the crowd goes wild

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm just imagining a baby with Ian McDirmids face cgi'd on top of it.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

twistedmentat posted:

I'm just imagining a baby with Ian McDirmids face cgi'd on top of it.

As long as the voice remains the same as Ian McDiarmid’s, I’m down with this version of Muppet Baby Star Wars (Again).

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

fartknocker posted:

As long as the voice remains the same as Ian McDiarmid’s, I’m down with this version of Muppet Baby Star Wars (Again).

Does someone need a space diaper change?
DO IT

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
The sequel trilogy was a mistake they should have done all the side shows and one shot movies first, THEN done a sequel trilogy and taken their time with it.

Bonus: if it took them long enough they could make a clean break from all the old cast.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

fartknocker posted:

Caleb Dume's cameo in Bad Batch but on purpose this time

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Spookydonut posted:

The sequel trilogy was a mistake they should have done all the side shows and one shot movies first, THEN done a sequel trilogy and taken their time with it.

Bonus: if it took them long enough they could make a clean break from all the old cast.

I understand why you wanted this, and I'm not saying it wouldn't have been a good idea, but you know their goal was to absolutely NOT do this, right? The entire reason they went with a sequel trilogy first was because a clean break from the old cast was the LAST thing they wanted.

Their goal is to make money, and Luke, Leia, and Han was, understandably, seen as the most sure fire way to do that.

I like JJ Abrams way more than almost everyone else in the forums. And even I'll admit that I wish they had planned out the trilogy from the start. That was their biggest issue. I really love TFA (though the space battle at the end is a mess). I mostly love TLJ. But I have to admit TROS, while having some fun moments, mostly doesn't know what the hell it's doing, and made it clear they were in, "Let's wrap this poo poo up however possible" mode. (How they missed the mark on focusing on Finn's Stormtrooper rebellion arc they had setup is beyond me. That should have been an easy layup by the third movie.)

But having the old cast in the movies wasn't the problem. Especially since the focus is usually on the new cast.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The old guard had 40 years of content behind them, so anything you put them in would have them overshadow the new guard so hard you'd have people wondering who any of them were

Han, Luke, and Leia should've gotten their own movie for their last hurrah before the ST opens with a new cast without that shadow hanging over it

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

How they missed the mark on focusing on Finn's Stormtrooper rebellion arc they had setup is beyond me. That should have been an easy layup by the third movie.

The Abrams and Terrio version of the movie was never going to include Finn rallying active-duty stormtroopers into a rebellion, since they wanted him to discover people who had turned against the First Order voluntarily. They didn't want him to be some aberration within the 100% evil ranks of the Stormtroopers, and instead wanted him to find kinship with other people who were like him.

Even so, there was originally more to the version of the story that ended up in the movie. Jannah and her group were originally sentenced to work in a First Order labor camp after their rebellion, and made to tear apart damaged Star Destroyers. Since they could connect the dots and figure out a common component failure among all the ships, they started to put together a device that, once installed in the fleet's command ship, could shut all the First Order's ships down.

The horseback charge on the Star Destroyer originally had the objective of getting Finn to the bridge to install the device and bring the fleet down from the inside. Later changes turned this into the navigation beacon that ended up in the movie.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
CHOPPER!

Veotax
May 16, 2006

In this week's Bad Batch the titular group appears for one scene!

Can't say I was expecting an entire episode acting a origin story to Hera and sequel to a Clone Wars season 1 storyline, but I loved it.

Going to assume that next week is going to have the Batch get involved in helping Hera and freeing her family

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Me at the start of the episode: Hera! :neckbeard:

Me at the end of the episode: Hera… :ohdear:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I'm impressed Orn survived that headshot since they called it an attempted assassination

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
It’s Star Wars, he’ll show up with some metal plate on his skull and a loyalty chip in his brain.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
*looks it up* Oh woah I guess I just somehow managed to miss this one major EU character so far oops

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
I wasn't expecting a Hera origin story, but having just finished a rewatch of Rebels that was a very welcome deviation from the norm! Kid Hera's accent was a little jarring but it makes sense she'd still have it at this age.

I love how even though his VA is no longer a secret, Chopper is still credited 'As Himself' 🤣

I never got around to checking out the Hera/Kanan novel, but now I'm really tempted to do so, to fill in some of the gaps in their backstories.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Veotax posted:

In this week's Bad Batch the titular group appears for one scene!

Can't say I was expecting an entire episode acting a origin story to Hera and sequel to a Clone Wars season 1 storyline, but I loved it.

Going to assume that next week is going to have the Batch get involved in helping Hera and freeing her family

This was great, in my opinion. Just focused on a planet dealing with the new empire and that’s what I really wanted from this show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Just seeing Hera and Chopper again was great, but Chopper needs to start adding to his body count in the next episode :getin: