Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Amoeba102 posted:

It's sarcasm that doesn't work.

Whoosh. Straight over my head that sailed.

That said, after some of the more recent posts in this thread, you can see how I missed that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...

Launchpad McQuack posted:

"2 weeks to flatten the curve and give our hospitals a chance to get ready."

Remember that. Then I couldnt work for months and almost lost my house.

I don't know how we got here but we have gotten to the point where anyone getting sick in a pandemic is totally unacceptable from a political point of view.

This is going to go on for years over here while the rest of the world.has moved on isn't it?

Actually getting covid is bad

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Tommunist posted:

Actually getting covid is bad

Won't someone think of the numbers????????

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Centusin posted:

I can't believe that telephoto lens photos of people outside was still enough to convince people that it's a nothing lockdown, it's just permanently April 2020 in Auspol I guess. If you look at the recent google mobility data you'll see -33% for retail and recreation spaces, -18% for parks, -62% for public transport and -35% for workplaces, that's for all of NSW and many places aren't in lockdown. There's been so many photos of people outside at Bondi floating around, but the Waverley council area is -50% in all areas except supermarkets which are -30%. This sort of lockdown seems to have restricted mobility and didn't involve human rights violations by locking people in public housing towers on short notice and never apologising for it.

Hrrmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

https://twitter.com/juliette_io/status/1412604628584206342?s=20

Here we can compare two recent lock downs. I ask the thread to come to its own conclusion s based on the evidence.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Tommunist posted:

Hrrmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Here we can compare two recent lock downs. I ask the thread to come to its own conclusion s based on the evidence.

it appears (from my, heh, brief glance) that NSW isn't really locking down at all.

Why do these ghouls lust for the blood of the vulnerable???

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

Tommunist posted:

Hrrmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Isn't the conclusion what I posted? Considering I was never comparing which lockdown was the most lockdown, I was just stating that it's disingenuous to refer to it as a 'mockdown' when there has clearly been a decrease in all areas. Grocery shopping was well above baseline pre-lockdown, and is now at baseline levels. For example, pre lockdown Bankstown was +40% compared to Baseline and is now +15%. The drop would be even bigger if the lockdown was state wide, but it isn't and hopefully won't need to be.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Centusin posted:

Isn't the conclusion what I posted? Considering I was never comparing which lockdown was the most lockdown, I was just stating that it's disingenuous to refer to it as a 'mockdown' when there has clearly been a decrease in all areas. Grocery shopping was well above baseline pre-lockdown, and is now at baseline levels. For example, pre lockdown Bankstown was +40% compared to Baseline and is now +15%. The drop would be even bigger if the lockdown was state wide, but it isn't and hopefully won't need to be.

We can clearly see the difference between an effective lockdown and what ever Sydney is doing

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Tommunist posted:

We can clearly see the difference between an effective lockdown and what ever Sydney is doing

In Sydney’s defence (:barf:) case numbers remaining relatively flat support that the lockdown has been relatively effective at flattening the curve. How long they’d need to keep this style of lockdown to achieve elimination of community transmission given delta strain though, who the gently caress knows but it doesn’t look great.

I also think there’s a big chance given comments by the Premier and Health Minister that they’ll do something incredibly loving stupid like say we’ve stabilised at 20 cases a day so we can loosen restrictions and get some real exponential growth going

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Solemn Sloth posted:

In Sydney’s defence (:barf:) case numbers remaining relatively flat support that the lockdown has been relatively effective at flattening the curve. How long they’d need to keep this style of lockdown to achieve elimination of community transmission given delta strain though, who the gently caress knows but it doesn’t look great

While true that there hasn't been massive spikes in cases there seems to still be a non insignificant ammount of community non house hold transmission and cases out in the community while infectious. I'd posit that stricter restrictions on movement/allowed work would be more effective in seeing cases go down.

I dont really think that people on Bondi Beach is really the issue but is probably more being spread by parties/work/orgies by NRL players.

https://twitter.com/juliette_io/status/1412578113712640001?s=20

Solemn Sloth posted:

I also think there’s a big chance given comments by the Premier and Health Minister that they’ll do something incredibly loving stupid like say we’ve stabilised at 20 cases a day so we can loosen restrictions and get some real exponential growth going

The NSW government has a massive collection of incredibly dumb humans who will 100% open em up leading to the big lockie D in a month

TammyHEH fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jul 7, 2021

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Also hosed up you'd defend Sydney muyb wtf

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Sydney will have one hundred cases this week.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Tommunist posted:

While true that there hasn't been massive spikes in cases there seems to still be a non insignificant ammount of community non house hold transmission and cases out in the community while infectious. I'd posit that stricter restrictions on movement/allowed work would be more effective in seeing cases go down.

I dont really think that people on Bondi Beach is really the issue but is probably more being spread by parties/work/orgies by NRL players.

https://twitter.com/juliette_io/status/1412578113712640001?s=20

The NSW government has a massive collection of incredibly dumb humans who will 100% open em up leading to the big lockie D in a month

I think those numbers indicate that NSWs previous approach of trusting contact tracing to get on top of an outbreak in the community just can’t work for delta strain.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Tommunist posted:

Also hosed up you'd defend Sydney muyb wtf

I’m sorry I’m sorry I’m trying to delete it

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Muyb has fallen.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

He is now a Swans supporter.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

At least Tim Smith isn’t a member.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Tim Smith is definitely a member.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

hambeet posted:

He is now a Swans supporter.

Literally Warwick Capper, Mr Speakah.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

thatbastardken posted:

or get bitten by a dog! doesn't need to be a stitch-worthy injury even.

I moved a ladder with my cordless drill with a huge sharp drillbit on it then tried to catch the drill with my arms when it toppled while my partner watched, knowing what was about to happen but saying nothing because they didn't think I was that stupid (They were wrong, I was that stupid).

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Sounds like they might expand the business grants to under $75k. Thank gently caress, because I'm sitting here at home watching case numbers go up in the busiest time of my year, making absolutely zero income.

I don't understand why they can't just turn JobKeeper into "Lockdowm Payment" (they should have done for Melbourne, but, you know, now it's affecting me) but I knew that the comprehensive covid rescue back in 2020 was directly a result of their own pants-making GBS threads fear and not out of actual concern for living humans.

It's super short sighted because it doesn't take an economist with 6 months of data to tell you there is a direct link between how much they are willing to support people and how seriously they will take lockdown measures.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Chadzok posted:

Sounds like they might expand the business grants to under $75k. Thank gently caress, because I'm sitting here at home watching case numbers go up in the busiest time of my year, making absolutely zero income.

I don't understand why they can't just turn JobKeeper into "Lockdowm Payment" (they should have done for Melbourne, but, you know, now it's affecting me) but I knew that the comprehensive covid rescue back in 2020 was directly a result of their own pants-making GBS threads fear and not out of actual concern for living humans.

It's super short sighted because it doesn't take an economist with 6 months of data to tell you there is a direct link between how much they are willing to support people and how seriously they will take lockdown measures.

yeah, but Bootstraps Berejiklian and Scrooge Morrison don't want you to get fat off welfare. Lifters and leaners, mate.

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010
Yeah I think this one's gotten away from us. We're going to be plague city and we will spread it to everyone. Gladys and the Prime Minister of Cronulla will embrace Nurgle-thought.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Chadzok posted:

They didn't keep JobKeeper because Morrison really doesn't want states to lock down. Simple as that.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Recoome posted:

yeah, but Bootstraps Berejiklian and Scrooge Morrison don't want you to get fat off welfare. Lifters and leaners, mate.

I hold a noose mate

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Senor Tron posted:

They didn't keep JobKeeper because Morrison really doesn't want states to lock down. Simple as that.

Part of me suspects he regrets closing the borders in the first place now that he's seen governments in other parts of the world face zero (political) consequences for their "have some hand sanitiser and get back to work" strategies

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Christ Almighty, just reading this run of "rent stress" stories on the ABC, and this country has no intention of unfucking itself.

go_banana
Oct 13, 2010
Numbers look... worsening for NSW. I reckon Federal LNP will announce some form of assistance to NSW and we will be in a proper lockdown by Monday, if not earlier. If they let it out of the bag like Hazzard suggests, they'll lose both Federal and State elections. Edit: This is on top of face masks being mandatory for those attending school next week, could be a big wake up call to the community when they get whiff their little loved ones are being affected.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Christ Gladys grow a spine and lock it down. None of this "Please don't spread the virus" poo poo works. It's so obvious they're just passing the blame to the population.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

they bet the fuckin farm on 'lets just hold off lockdown until school holidays because that might make ppl compliant and then open 'er up' and it has failed catastrophically.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Infected number goes up, number of those in iso goes down.
Gold standard.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Thank gently caress for this, though:

https://twitter.com/matttburke/status/1412946624674897920

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Gladys marginally less of an idiot than previously thought

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

There is an alternate universe out there where Gladys resigned for one of her numerous scandals and Perrottet is the premier and runs with a let-her-rip strategy and half the media goes along with it because Sydney of course is too big to fail

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

its absolutely incredible that the NSW opposition is given zero coverage at all.

not that anyone knows who the loving leader is or who they are or why they exist.

this could absolutely undo gladys' election chances if there was any reasonable attempt and unbiased coverage in the media but lol

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Kinda weird that Victoria has exactly the same unhinged pro-Lib media but Andrews still managed to not only win, but win in a landslide. What was the deal with that? I was living overseas at the time.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

https://twitter.com/sunriseon7/status/1407811572328660992?s=20

https://twitter.com/ScottMorrisonMP/status/1408685774795513857?s=20

https://twitter.com/NSWHealth/status/1412939556286963713?s=20

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i hate seeing number go up, but seeing morrison eat a poo poo sandwich for his awful messaging is almost worth it

Destrado
Feb 9, 2001

I thought, What a nice little city, it suits me fine. It suited me fine so I started to change it.

Laserface posted:

its absolutely incredible that the NSW opposition is given zero coverage at all.

not that anyone knows who the loving leader is or who they are or why they exist.

this could absolutely undo gladys' election chances if there was any reasonable attempt and unbiased coverage in the media but lol

While yes, the media is feral, NSW Labor is still a wasteland. Minns is going with the classic "hide at the back of the class and hope no-one calls on you" opposition strategy that Labor have perfected over ten years now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Destrado posted:

While yes, the media is feral, NSW Labor is still a wasteland. Minns is going with the classic "hide at the back of the class and hope no-one calls on you" opposition strategy that Labor have perfected over ten years now.

Also even with the media going full mask off right wing nut job in Victoria the opposition hasn’t even been a consideration since the pandemic except when they failed a spill