Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Scott Morrison loving sucks.

loving clown government.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
38/38 Ranked in OECD

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

:australia:

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

drat, that Crikey article was so bad that it killed the thread!

Edit: lol gottem vvv

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Jul 2, 2021

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Anidav is the Scott Morrison of this thread

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

wretched single ply might as well use my socks

starkebn posted:

38/38 Ranked in OECD
100% score onya Scomo!

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
We are now entering Phase 4 of WordCloud.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

starkebn posted:

38/38 Ranked in OECD

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...
I hate anidav!!!!

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Free muyb

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

The soft ride the Liberals get at the next election from the media will be even more infuriating than usual when they fail at phase 1 of their 4 phase "plan"

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
moice

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
i will vote for whoever will get the proper Ninja Warrior back on SBS

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Does that mean Newscorp will get priority pfizer deliveries over the vaccine hubs and GPs?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
I LUST FOR CLOT DEATH

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

thatbastardken posted:

I LUST FOR CLOT DEATH

no one calls it clot death anymore, it's Sudden Immunisation Death Sydrome.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

wtf

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Anidav posted:

loving clown government.
What if their plan all along was for us to die?

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

moice

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Begin Phase 2 is what the supervillain orders.

So, sounds like the delta variant is less deadly?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Homora Gaykemi posted:

i will vote for whoever will get the proper Ninja Warrior back on SBS

For a brief period, you could find the condensed version of the show on youbute. All the bullshit cut out, just the runs.

Reminded me of the old Mythbusters Streamlined you could find back in the day.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
I don't hold a needle mate.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Budzilla posted:

What if their plan all along was for us to die?

That's basically their Plan B. Also Plan A is usually just "do nothing"

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

i am calling a leadership spill

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

BBJoey posted:

I think you have to be a sex pest to do that.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
From the previous thread:

Aware posted:

evilbastard posted:

That flight last week from Indonesia to Adelaide of the family with Covid ?

Turns out it was a journalist from The Australian coming back to Australia by private jet, after approval was given by Border Patrol and the Federal government.

The family claims that they got approval to rush back independently of the fact they were employed by News Corp.

I see some entries of this in the gossip pages, but nothing else anywhere else.
Is there an actual problem here? Sounds like International SOS or similar service deemed it medically necessary and likely covered the costs and independently sought the appropriate approvals?

My answer to this is yes, absolutely, there is an actual problem here, and that problem is that in allowing this, the Australian government has clearly and obviously set a double standard.

Back in May, the Australian government refused to allow a bunch of people to return to Australia from India because they had returned a positive COVID-19 test (many of which were later shown to be false-positives), and refused to entertain the idea of allowing exemptions for medical evacuation flights for COVID-positive citizens trapped in India, which at the time was hitting world headlines for having to burn bodies in car parks and literal brawls breaking out in hospitals over oxygen cylinders because their crematoriums and hospitals were overwhelmed with demand.

At the time, the prime minister himself had said:

quote:

Morrison said the government was not considering allowing people who had tested positive to board flights.

“I have seen the suggestions from others who seem to think that we can put people who have tested Covid-positive on planes and bring them into Australia,” he said. “I mean that just doesn’t make any sense.

“We all want to support people as much as we can, but by importing Covid into the country, I don’t think it is a very sensible or sound thing to do.

It'd be one thing if the Australian government had said 'you know what, we realised we were being poo poo, we've set up medevac flights for people stuck around the world, and in addition to that we've also allowed this family back in to Australia from Indonesia for the same reason', but that's not the case. This is from the Australian Border Force website, I looked it up just then:

quote:

All people travelling to Australia on flights departing on or after 22 January 2021 (local time at departure point) must provide proof of a negative COVID-19 polymerase chain reaction (PCR) result at the time of check-in.

The rules are still pretty clear - you have to be shown as negative for COVID-19 before boarding a flight. I'd suggest most Australians understand the reasoning for this policy, and even if they don't like it - they can accept it for now.

So when our government provided this one family exemptions that allowed them to enter the country while sickened with COVID, despite the fact months earlier this same government refused to lift a finger to help our citizens who had tested positive to COVID in India (some of whom are still in India, and India is still struggling), they've demonstrated there's a set of rules for one group of Australians, and another for the rest of us.

This decision was neither reasonable, nor fair. This decision was made despite the rules, despite the publics general acceptance of only allowing citizens to return when they have tested negative for COVID, and despite our governments flagrant callousness to a larger group of people just weeks earlier.

It's reasonable to ask them: What has changed? What is it about this one family that has made this government decide to let them in despite our quarantine system being leakier than a sieve? What makes this journo and their family so special?

Is it because they're rich? Or because they're white? Or because one of them happens to work for one of the most influential media outlets in Australia? Or is it just that the government is corrupt as gently caress and some money or favours have been exchanged? :iiam:

So far they've said they 'weren't aware of it'. But... I do not understand how this could have happened unintentionally, given how clear the guidelines are and how presumably border farce has to be involved in this process at some point or other. So either they're weak or they're poo poo.

tl;dr - by allowing this family to return while covid-positive but not others, the government has set a double-standard.

froglet fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 2, 2021

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
I was reading about the car park grants and then going back to read about the sports grants that I mostly missed the first time around. Surely someone in the prime minister’s office has started a spreadsheet for hospitals and vaccine distribution centres in electorates they want to target.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

BBJoey posted:

Lmao look at this vic nationals looking nerd

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Anidav is actually more like the Ben roberts smith of this thread, abuses legal proceedings to silence dissent.

Also the war crimes.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

froglet posted:

Big good post

I don't have enough info about this particular decision to really argue against this and you make great points - save to say that COVID positive and likely positive people have been and continue to be repratriated on medivac flights/gov approval, as I've seen in first hand from the recent PNG outbreak.

I definitely don't disagree that the India situation is loving awful for those stuck there and we should have spent a lot of pork barrelling and other money on repatriating Australian citizens on government charter flights for sure.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...
Why would you expect anything less than double standards from this muppet government? They're the most corrupt pack of numpties in living memory.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Comstar posted:

So, sounds like the delta variant is less deadly?

I don't think so? It's about the same, but more contagious, so indirectly more deadly because it will infect more people.

The reason e.g. the UK is seeing an uptick in cases but not deaths is because they're so vaccinated.

Anyway, exclusive in the Sat paper today has leaks from the national Cabinet meeting and apparently the AHPPC urged Morrison to drop AZ entirely but he didn't want the optics of GPs having to throw out vaccines the government had bought:

https://www.thesaturdaypaper.com.au/news/politics/2021/07/03/exclusive-morrison-ignored-chief-health-officers-advice/162523440011987

quote:

The Saturday Paper has spoken to several people with direct knowledge of how the emergency meeting late on Monday unfolded. There was a sense of panic and frustration from the prime minister, who also grilled the Australian Health Protection Principal Committee (AHPPC), the advisory body for chief health and medical officers, about making vaccines mandatory for aged-care workers.

“They wanted AstraZeneca abandoned,” one source says, “but Morrison wouldn’t do it.”

Now, with a Commonwealth indemnity scheme in place – which Health Minister Greg Hunt says covers both the GP and the patient in the event of serious complications or death – the federal government had a solution for an emerging problem.

Entire batches of the AZ vaccine are due to expire within weeks and months.

“They were worried about the optics of doctors having to throw out lots of AZ stock the feds had bought,” one source tells The Saturday Paper.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Aware posted:

I don't have enough info about this particular decision to really argue against this and you make great points - save to say that COVID positive and likely positive people have been and continue to be repratriated on medivac flights/gov approval, as I've seen in first hand from the recent PNG outbreak.

I definitely don't disagree that the India situation is loving awful for those stuck there and we should have spent a lot of pork barrelling and other money on repatriating Australian citizens on government charter flights for sure.

Yeah, agreed.

My problem isn't really with the idea of repatriating sick Australians (imho we absolutely should), it's more with the hypocrisy. Six weeks ago our government was saying given Australia has no real COVID problem, they were not desirous of importing one by
encouraging any scheme of medical repatriation, then go on to allow in a family who absolutely would not be allowed in normally.

freebooter posted:

I don't think so? It's about the same, but more contagious, so indirectly more deadly because it will infect more people.

The reason e.g. the UK is seeing an uptick in cases but not deaths is because they're so vaccinated.

Anyway, exclusive in the Sat paper today has leaks from the national Cabinet meeting and apparently the AHPPC urged Morrison to drop AZ entirely but he didn't want the optics of GPs having to throw out vaccines the government had bought:

https://www.thesaturdaypaper.com.au/news/politics/2021/07/03/exclusive-morrison-ignored-chief-health-officers-advice/162523440011987

The thing is, I thought there is no reason for us to drop AZ entirely. That's not to say jab everyone with it, but how many people over the age of 60 have received both their shots? (I looked it up, it's less than 40% for the older age brackets)

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
People in Indonesia are wanting their government to try and buy unwanted AZ from us, so there is a place we could send whatever we produce in the future to, in addition to the pacific island countries we already have agreements with. But I guess Morrison wouldn't love the optics of sending a large amount overseas while Australians remain unvaccinated either.

https://www.smh.com.au/world/asia/we-are-in-need-of-vaccines-indonesians-eye-australia-s-unwanted-astrazeneca-20210701-p58610.html

quote:

Dr Erlina Burhan, the spokeswoman for COVID-19 from the Indonesian Medical Association, said Indonesia’s health ministry and state-owned vaccine producer PT Bio Farma should procure any unwanted doses from the 50 million being produced by Australian biotech company CSL.

“The health ministry should buy them,” she told The Sydney Morning Herald and The Age. “They should want it because we are in need of vaccines.”

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Centusin posted:

People in Indonesia are wanting their government to try and buy unwanted AZ from us, so there is a place we could send whatever we produce in the future to, in addition to the pacific island countries we already have agreements with. But I guess Morrison wouldn't love the optics of sending a large amount overseas while Australians remain unvaccinated either.

https://www.smh.com.au/world/asia/we-are-in-need-of-vaccines-indonesians-eye-australia-s-unwanted-astrazeneca-20210701-p58610.html

I completely believe that Morrison would prefer to see people die overseas rather than look bad.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Centusin posted:

and help the people smugglers?! Are you mad?!

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

froglet posted:

The thing is, I thought there is no reason for us to drop AZ entirely. That's not to say jab everyone with it, but how many people over the age of 60 have received both their shots? (I looked it up, it's less than 40% for the older age brackets)

It's less effective against Delta, which is basically the same as saying it's less effective against COVID, because that's going to become the dominant strain globally by the of the year. (Unless an even worse one crops up!)

But I'd assume the reason the AHPPC wants to drop it is because its name is mud. Jeanette Young basically gave it a coup de grace the other day. It doesn't matter how good your vaccine may or may not be if nobody wants to take it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

NPR Journalizard posted:

I completely believe that Morrison would prefer to see people die overseas rather than look bad.

Replace "Morrison" with "any politician".