Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
lots of rumor talk re: Kill Team for a saturday announcement. People saying Orks and IG?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Randalor posted:

...how are squats in minigeddon? Please tell me they're still a thing in minigeddon (I'll run them with Tau if I have to use them as Demiurge, I just want my space dwarves drat it)

http://epic-uk.co.uk/lists/CodexSquats.pdf

This is the UK version of Epic, I'm in NA, we tend to use NetEA, but most people are fine with people using EpicUK lists. Both have been extensively playtested and balanced. I have zero experience with squats.

Minigeddon is just a set of deployment and army building rules to seamlessly adapt Epic to a smaller faster format.

Tiny Chalupa posted:

How are Dark Eldar or Tyranid in Minigeddon? I have such a large desire to get both of those armies as well. Especially after watching this video on a Printed Tyranid army
Need to find someone who can print those. My God.

I don't have experience with either in minigeddon, I imagine both would be fine. Genestealers would be particular potent, infiltrators with FS and 20cm move will really ruin someones day. Basically are upgradeable better rough riders at the same cost. Hmmmm, this might be my next build. I'm thinking 3 swarms and 2 upgraded genestealers would be pretty nasty. 5 activations and two very nasty fast closing CC units.

Virtual Russian fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jul 8, 2021

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Speaking of local gaming trends, if anyone is in the greater Philly area and wants to play these dumb dead games, let me know.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Virtual Russian posted:

Three activations in minigeddon with marines is really really going to be tough to capitalize on. You've got a solid base there though.
This point is pretty important for list building - really my only gripe with the rules is that upgrades to formations beyond a single character or so are almost always a trap option, since activations are king. (I sometimes toy with the idea of bolting on Dropzone Commander's rules about this and saying everyone gets, say, 2 activations per 1000 points and you clump formations together to get there, but it'd need playtesting and would probably break as much as it fixes, so I just grin and bear it.)

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Giant Ethicist posted:

This point is pretty important for list building - really my only gripe with the rules is that upgrades to formations beyond a single character or so are almost always a trap option, since activations are king. (I sometimes toy with the idea of bolting on Dropzone Commander's rules about this and saying everyone gets, say, 2 activations per 1000 points and you clump formations together to get there, but it'd need playtesting and would probably break as much as it fixes, so I just grin and bear it.)

Some armies allow more customization, orks, necrons, and tyranids jump to mind. Some play strictly with base formations, guard and marines being the foremost examples. It is true though that activations play a big role.

I have played some very friendly games where we argreed to a set number of activations.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Virtual Russian posted:

http://epic-uk.co.uk/lists/CodexSquats.pdf

This is the UK version of Epic, I'm in NA, we tend to use NetEA, but most people are fine with people using EpicUK lists. Both have been extensively playtested and balanced. I have zero experience with squats.

Minigeddon is just a set of deployment and army building rules to seamlessly adapt Epic to a smaller faster format.

I don't have experience with either in minigeddon, I imagine both would be fine. Genestealers would be particular potent, infiltrators with FS and 20cm move will really ruin someones day. Basically are upgradeable better rough riders at the same cost. Hmmmm, this might be my next build. I'm thinking 3 swarms and 2 upgraded genestealers would be pretty nasty. 5 activations and two very nasty fast closing CC units.

Does anyone play Epic HH? Do the army lists work with minigeddon?

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

Z the IVth posted:

Does anyone play Epic HH? Do the army lists work with minigeddon?

yeah we play epic HH as part of our multiscale HH campaign locally (brisbane aus)

these are the rules we use

http://epicau.com/mw/index.php/Main_Page

Here's my army list

Iron warriors siege army

Tactical Squad 275pts
With Centurion 50pts
Total: 325pts

Tactical Squad 275pts
With Centurion 50pts

Iron havoc Squad 250pts

Rhino transports for all INF bases free

Land Raider Phobos battle squadron (x6) 480pts
With Praetor 100pts

With Centurion 50pts

Legion artillery support detachment (Basilisks) 500pts

Total: 2990pts

Militia Auxiliaries

Grenadier Detachment 175pts

Militia Bike Detachment 175pts

Sentinel Detachment 100pts

Marine Rapier Detachment (x2) 100pts

Total: 1000pts

xutech fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Jul 8, 2021

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

Speaking of local gaming trends, if anyone is in the greater Philly area and wants to play these dumb dead games, let me know.

"Greater" is a stretch here, but a few of us in the Lehigh Valley area have been wading back into Epic lately.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

xutech posted:

yeah we play epic HH as part of our multiscale HH campaign locally (brisbane aus)

these are the rules we use

http://epicau.com/mw/index.php/Main_Page

Here's my army list

Iron warriors siege army

Tactical Squad 275pts
With Centurion 50pts

Tactical Squad 275pts
With Centurion 50pts

Iron havoc Squad 250pts

Rhino transports for all INF bases free

With Praetor 100pts

With Centurion 50pts

Legion artillery support detachment (Basilisks) 500pts

Total: 2990pts

Militia Auxiliaries

Militia Bike Detachment 175pts

Marine Rapier Detachment (x2) 100pts

Total: 1000pts

Nice! I want to try to get into it but while there are loads of models available, there's very little by way of battle reports to give an idea of how the armies should be built.

Doesn't help that the EpicAU forums seem dead/non-existent.

Any tips for doing Mechanicum?

thocan
Jan 18, 2014

moths posted:

"Greater" is a stretch here, but a few of us in the Lehigh Valley area have been wading back into Epic lately.

That's not far for me, good to know when this thread gives me the brain worms and I impulse buy an army, there's the chance to get a game in.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

moths posted:

Nice that's only like an hour from me (I'm about an hour west of Philly)

I'm getting started on my Guard Epic army this weekend so I'll probably join you guys sometime if you'll have me!

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

God dammit I don't need a Photon to play space mans with Philly area goons. I DON'T NEED ONE.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Lumbermouth posted:

God dammit I don't need a Photon to play space mans with Philly area goons. I DON'T NEED ONE.

Yeah you could probably just bribe one of them to print you an army so they have another opponent.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Eediot Jedi posted:

Yeah you could probably just bribe one of them to print you an army so they have another opponent.

Yeah this - buy me a bottle of resin and I'll print you an army

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

Where are you exactly? I am in Philadelphia. I built up a huge set of armies for Lord of the Rings Warmaster I have yet to get the table. Epic and other things sound interesting I just don't have any units for those games.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

Z the IVth posted:

Any tips for doing Mechanicum?

Here's a pic of my friends mechanicus army

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLA61A0HeIa/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CBpNZ6sHKNa/

I don't think there's much real advice other than to make sure you have some infantry to stomp and some sort of unifying theme.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
So there are actually Epic players not too far from me but they seem to play NetEpic Gold instead of Netepic EA and that just seems......awful.
Casual glance at the rules seems like it is based on 2nd edition Epic instead of Epic 40,000 rules or Epic Armageddon

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

nesbit37 posted:

Where are you exactly? I am in Philadelphia. I built up a huge set of armies for Lord of the Rings Warmaster I have yet to get the table. Epic and other things sound interesting I just don't have any units for those games.

I'm in the Downingtown/West Chester area - I'm also working on Warmaster (the fantasy version) armies, so maybe we can figure something out!

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

lots of rumor talk re: Kill Team for a saturday announcement. People saying Orks and IG?

So the preview is ork stuff. The title of the preview on the warcom site is KT font and orange. The background image has what looks like a DKOK helmet. So people are interpreting that as orks vs new plastic IG KT box.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Eediot Jedi posted:

Print them an they will come.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Would a Kill Team size board work for Minigeddon or is that too small? I think it's only a couple inches off from 2'x3' which I think is what Minigeddon uses.

I have a KT board that would work well for a barren urban setting and I'm trying to avoid buying new mats.

edit-- whoops Minigeddon is 3'x4', nevermind

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jul 8, 2021

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Casual glance at the rules seems like it is based on 2nd edition Epic instead of Epic 40,000 rules or Epic Armageddon

Yeah, you are correct.

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

jassi007 posted:

So the preview is ork stuff. The title of the preview on the warcom site is KT font and orange. The background image has what looks like a DKOK helmet. So people are interpreting that as orks vs new plastic IG KT box.

My hope is an IG/Ork KT 2.0 starter set but my heart is telling me it will just be like Pariah Nexus with Orks/IG instead of SM/Crons

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

So I don't know for the mini epic, but I can talk generally about E:A.

There is a tradeoff between formation size and number of formations. As others have already said: more formations is very beneficial. The game works by default as alternating activations, and generally, there's a benefit to getting to string multiple activations in a row before your opponent acts again. There are ways to do this regardless, via commander abilities that let you roll to try to "retain the initiative" and make a second activation in a row. But, regardless of abilities, if you have more formations than your opponent, they'll run out of activations while you still have 2+ left and you get to activate all of your remaining formations in a row. That's very good.

But

The game also has a suppression mechanic. Each time a new formation shoots at your formation, it takes a "blast marker" (even if it takes no casualties). It takes additional BMs when it takes casualties, fight in assaults, or fail initiative tests. Each BM suppresses a unit, so if you have 10 units in your formation and 4 BMs, only six of the units can shoot (you get to decide which of your units are suppressed). BMs also make it harder for the formation to carry out actions, win assaults, or rally (an activation used for recovering from being broken and suppressed etc.).

So, the more units there are in a formation, the more resilient the formation is to being shot at. And the more chaff units the formation has, the more useless dudes you can choose as your suppressed units, leaving the good units still able to fight when you activate the formation. (Note that you do this by keeping the poo poo units at the back, since you assign BMs from back to front - but this means your good units are more exposed to being killed, since you take casualties from front to back.)

This is not inconsequential. Yes, having more, smaller formations is still, on balance, often "better" than having fewer, larger formations. In addition to getting more activations, you can attempt to control more objective markers, you have more ability to set up flanking attacks/crossfires, etc. But it does you little good to start a game with your five formations to your opponents' three, and then have two of your formations broken on turn 1 because they were too small to handle being shot at.

I loving love this, by the way. The suppression mechanic on the whole, the way it affects your in-game decisions, the way you have to balance many different considerations in the game, it's all such a wonderful system.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jul 8, 2021

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

So, the more units there are in a formation, the more resilient the formation is to being shot at. And the more chaff units the formation has, the more useless dudes you can choose as your suppressed units, leaving the good units still able to fight when you activate the formation. (Note that you do this by keeping the poo poo units at the back, since you assign BMs from back to front - but this means your good units are more exposed to being killed, since you take casualties from front to back.)

Is this why marines tend to come with rhinos and chimeras with guardsmen?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Z the IVth posted:

The main reason is that infantry originally came packaged with transports. The resistance to blast markers and the fact that footsloggers are kinda painfully slow at Epic scale both contribute.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah, Epic has rules for loading dudes in and out of transports as part of a move activation that work reasonably well. Given the full game likes to be played on at least a 6' x 4' table (and I generally go for 8x4), mobilized infantry actually functions the way mobilized infantry functions in real life armies, which is really cool.

But also yes you can arrange to arrive at the objective you want to hold, unload your dudes, and then shove their lovely transports at the back so they'll be the suppressed ones. But also two up front to take the first casualties. Or whatever. Arranging the units in your formation on the table actually matters in several ways, so it's another way to immerse yourself in the tactics of the game... but also you don't have to know a lot about it to get started playing, either.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
The way battlefield friction works in E:A is definitely what makes it shine. In addition to suppressing and eventually breaking formations with weight of fire, blast markers also make it harder to give the formation orders (if you fail, you can still do something, but not much). And different armies have different base rolls to activate, and various modifications to their roll depending on the order you want to do. So marines always activate automatically unless they have blast markers, guard are generally pretty reliable but may just decide to keep their heads down if they have blast markers, orks are bad at following orders unless you happen to want them to rush headlong at the enemy firing wildly, and so on.

I love this poo poo, and the complete lack of any such rules was one reason I was cool on, say, dropzone commander, where your dudes always just do exactly what you want them to all the time.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

All this applies to minigeddon, with the key exception that you cannot retain the initiative ever in minigeddon. This means that having more activations than your opponent is a very reliable advantage at the end of a turn. Most armies take four activations, some of the horde armies can get a solid five in though.

Also yeah, blast markers are not to be shrugged off. In my main guard list, posted above, I have a battery of three bombards. The have paper thin armour, if shot at they take a blast marker. In the event that one is knocked out by that fire, they unit takes another BM. This results in a 2 vehicle strong unit, with 2 BMs, breaking the unit and removing it from play for at least the turn, likely longer. Small units are very vulnerable to suppression.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Z the IVth posted:

Infantry also gain a cover save from armoured vehicles. Mechanized and foot infantry play very differently. Foot need to hug cover, usually hunkering down to garrison objectives or hold key point. Mechanized are always on the move, usually engageing other units and relying on armour to stay alive.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Mjolnerd posted:

My hope is an IG/Ork KT 2.0 starter set but my heart is telling me it will just be like Pariah Nexus with Orks/IG instead of SM/Crons

welp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XA3RmSKVnOw

I really really hope it's good! Give me warcry style KT boxes! And good terrain!

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

welp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XA3RmSKVnOw

I really really hope it's good! Give me warcry style KT boxes! And good terrain!

I'm the sniper watching half my team die before I react

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I mean, look what happened as soon as he gave his position away. A good sniper.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Wouldn't have needed the sniper if the trooper had done the right thing and fallen on the plunger when the Ork threw his crumpled body away.

Failure to follow orders. That's going in your permanent record, soldier.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Krieg in plastic...

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Krieg in plastic...

What is "how to sell tens of thousands of Kill Team boxes"

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Krieg in plastic...

I'm buying more GW shares.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I know current Kill Team isn't looked upon very favorably, but I don't know why. What's wrong with the game as it is now? I haven't played, so I don't know what people are hoping they fix.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Funzo posted:

I know current Kill Team isn't looked upon very favorably, but I don't know why. What's wrong with the game as it is now? I haven't played, so I don't know what people are hoping they fix.

pariah nexus was disappointing
updates not frequent enough (its dead its dead)*

*they did a massive KT hiring spree a few months ago but its dead dead dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Let Tzeentch show you The Way

(RAFM Leng Spider as Tzeentch Titan)