Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Boozie posted:

Anyone know if you can get some version of DOSBOX to work on iOS? Would it require jailbreak? I have an old iPad mini running 9.3.5 and was thinking that could be fun to get some more life out of it. I feel like a pissed off 80 year old whenever I try to do anything outside of install app/use app in iOS but I'm willing to try.

this works pretty well for me https://apps.apple.com/us/app/idos-2/id918131840

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I’m looking at different mail apps, and trying to move away from gmail to icloud but drat, it’s hard. Anyway are there any good 3rd party mail apps that won’t spy on your poo poo? I would like ones that have good auto sorting and can have rules to run to clean up mailboxes. Would be a pay app because I assume all the free ones are just big data harvesters. Even the pay ones, who knows.

I’m not quite at the level to go to protonmail yet..

occluded
Oct 31, 2012

Sandals: Become the means to create A JUST SOCIETY

Fun Shoe
Hey sorry if this is a dumb bad question but can anyone recommend a whatsapp for ipad app / solution that won't 1) take ages to load in safari and be a pain in the rear end 2) steal my messages and blackmail me with them?

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

priznat posted:

I’m looking at different mail apps, and trying to move away from gmail to icloud but drat, it’s hard. Anyway are there any good 3rd party mail apps that won’t spy on your poo poo? I would like ones that have good auto sorting and can have rules to run to clean up mailboxes. Would be a pay app because I assume all the free ones are just big data harvesters. Even the pay ones, who knows.

I’m not quite at the level to go to protonmail yet..

I’m looking for something like this as well. Ideally the app would be as close to FairEmail (Android) as possible, i.e. open source, with a sane privacy policy, and highly configurable. I’d settle for the first two as long as it ends up being better then Apple Mail. Unfortunately, it seems like a couple of otherwise interesting mail apps do weird poo poo like run your email over one of their servers as a relay or something.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Badly Jester posted:

I’m looking for something like this as well. Ideally the app would be as close to FairEmail (Android) as possible, i.e. open source, with a sane privacy policy, and highly configurable. I’d settle for the first two as long as it ends up being better then Apple Mail. Unfortunately, it seems like a couple of otherwise interesting mail apps do weird poo poo like run your email over one of their servers as a relay or something.

Yeah Spark was one but ai think their privacy is questionable.

Ironic I had been looking at Hey but then the whole basecamp thing.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I’ve had multiple phases where I’ve gone through pretty much every app on iOS to find the best iOS app and I keep coming to the conclusion that the answer is outlook.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

The Lord Bude posted:

I’ve had multiple phases where I’ve gone through pretty much every app on iOS to find the best iOS app and I keep coming to the conclusion that the answer is outlook.

Yeah I was trying to avoid that because I use outlook for my work, and having my personal accounts on there is just a potential recipe for disaster :haw:

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

priznat posted:

I was going to suggest Hey but that Basecamp thing is just no good tbh. I heard about this client called "Big Mail" but no idea if it could work for you, https://getbigmail.com

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Skeezy posted:

I was going to suggest Hey but that Basecamp thing is just no good tbh. I heard about this client called "Big Mail" but no idea if it could work for you, https://getbigmail.com

Oh Big Mail looks good! I will give the free trial a shot and see how I like it! Thanks!

I like how it does the organization stuff on the device. Although I hope there is a way to sync that between your devices like iphone/ipad etc.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I user Airmail on both iOS and MacOS and have no idea what their privacy policy looks like, buts it’s a paid yearly app.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

priznat posted:

I made the jump to Hey about a year ago and was happy with it until the whole basecamp thing. Now I've got a month left that was already paid for to find my exit strategy. Gonna take a long look at Big Mail

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

i'm on the ios 15 beta so ymmv but... i find big mail to be kind of a mess tbh. i like what it's going for, but i'm not the biggest fan of the implementation. feels really busy, a little cluttered.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

You know, I've been following apps and whatever's deemed "cool" for a long rear end time, but one thing I've never understood is why people seemingly desperately always need a new Mail app. The only single improvement I would need and want from the default Mail app is better searching.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

What I really want is a mail app that does sorting well and can set up automated stuff to clean up mailboxes by dumping advertising after a week or whatever.. Stuff you can do in the outlook desktop app with rules etc. I have it all sorted out so have different boxes for different priorities, colour coding etc.. sigh I really should just use Outlook I guess. I was reading about Big Mail and it doesn't really sound totally my thing especially for a subscription fee that high ($10/mo).

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

The Fastmail app is good though you have to be paying for their service to use it.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
Thanks for the suggestions, goons.

LODGE NORTH posted:

You know, I've been following apps and whatever's deemed "cool" for a long rear end time, but one thing I've never understood is why people seemingly desperately always need a new Mail app. The only single improvement I would need and want from the default Mail app is better searching.

FairEmail allowed me to get push messages for both my personal and work account, but also to set up rules so that I only get notified of work email during my actual work hours. That’s huge for my sanity. Sorting is another thing where Mail is just lacking. For example, archiving doesn’t even use folders for years; it all has to be done manually.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

LODGE NORTH posted:

i mean i wanted hey, which had an extremely easy and intuitive way to do a few things: blanket prevent an address from landing in my inbox with a single click/tap, provide a space for newsletters that doesn’t clutter my inbox, provide a space for receipts/shipping/etc that doesn’t clutter my inbox.
without janitoring rules to what i think was an unreasonable amount, that wasn’t really readily available with an email app that i knew of?

e: and i think the sort of folks that were ready and willing to switch to hey are the people who’d be ready to switch away once all that basecamp drama unfolded. i’m part of that group, which is why i gave big mail a shot. i also gave edison’s new onmail a chance but that service seems pretty underdeveloped at least as of a few months ago. i guess anyone else here use it recently?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

People’s email needs are wildly different so there’s a ton of client that are all slightly different in small ways but those differences are make or break to a lot of people’s workflows.

Personally I just read my email like twice and day and delete stuff I don’t need manually, I don’t use any rules or filters at all. I get a small, manageable amount of mail though so my inbox management won’t work for many people.

The only reading I don’t use the built in Mail.app is because I want my emails to have an avatar next to the sender name and not having that is a dealbreaker for me. Very weird.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

My perfect email app was Inbox by Gmail, and every day its features don't make it to Gmail proper is another day i get angrier at Google.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I loved Mailbox by Dropbox and I do not like Spark’s privacy poo poo but I tolerate it.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I'm happily using hey email, it's fantastic. I don't hate email anymore, the screener is a wonderful tool. I forwarded my old Gmail account to catch anything I missed in the transition and haven't looked back. The iOS is good and they've made meaningful updates regularly.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I'd love to actually use Mail.app but I always find that it never notifies me of a new email or refresh in the background. So every couple of hours I have to load the app up and it'll refresh new mail.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I bounced between Airmail and Spark before finally just accepting my fate with Edison. I know they're selling my data, but it's the best combo of features I've found.

Hey was good. If the app had allowed me to add other non-Hey email accounts I probably would have kept it. Or if this was 2010 again, because in 2021 email seems to have devolved into something less 'productive' and more 'tolerable'.

Also Mail.app is the most aggressively disappointing application Apple has ever made.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

The podcast app would like a word.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I have my personal email accounts in mail.app which works perfectly well for what I need it to - notifying me of the incoming email so I can blindly delete it as it’s garbage.

Outlook I prefer to work well so I can react to things without being in the office, and it is very bad at that. Godforbid multiple people respond individually to an email I sent to a bunch of recipients as it manages to over complicate it, and the fact the badge number is unable to ever accurately reflect the true number of unread emails as soon as it’s above 0.

It’s been a bit better recently, I can only assume this in error and it’ll go back to its usual ways in a future update.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Warbird posted:

The podcast app would like a word.

That at least has improved. I could use Overcast or Spotify, but I kind of enjoy Apple's formally reprehensible podcast app.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

That at least has improved.

I haven’t used the Apple podcast app since it looked like a tape deck, so I have no real opinion myself, but from everything I’ve seen, that seems to be very much a minority opinion.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Anyone know how to dispense with Shortcut notifications? I’ve got them turned off in Settings but I’m using a shortcut that changes my wallpaper on a schedule & I’m still getting a notification after each wallpaper switch.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Anyone know how to dispense with Shortcut notifications? I’ve got them turned off in Settings but I’m using a shortcut that changes my wallpaper on a schedule & I’m still getting a notification after each wallpaper switch.

I have never seen the ability to disable Shortcut notifications from its settings page, but you can if you poke around through Screen Time.

Settings -> Screen Time
Under the Daily Average graph tap See All Activity
Scroll down to the Notifications section
Expand the list of apps that send notifications until you see Shortcuts
If it doesn't allow you to tap into it, go to a previous day with the day selector at the top
Tap into Shortcuts and disable notifications from there

I have to reset this about once a week, but it silences all notifications that I am aware of

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

dc3k posted:

I have never seen the ability to disable Shortcut notifications from its settings page, but you can if you poke around through Screen Time.

Settings -> Screen Time
Under the Daily Average graph tap See All Activity
Scroll down to the Notifications section
Expand the list of apps that send notifications until you see Shortcuts
If it doesn't allow you to tap into it, go to a previous day with the day selector at the top
Tap into Shortcuts and disable notifications from there

I have to reset this about once a week, but it silences all notifications that I am aware of

Yeah, I found it after searching for a bit. Odd place to put it, but it works. Whoever wrote the article I came across suggested that if you can't tap on it after selecting "See All Activity", just switch from "Week" to "Day" at the top of the page, then back to "Week". That's what worked for me. Any type of phone restart/shutdown re-enables the notifications though, which, okay Apple, I guess turning them off was a mistake?

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

EL BROMANCE posted:

I have my personal email accounts in mail.app which works perfectly well for what I need it to - notifying me of the incoming email so I can blindly delete it as it’s garbage.

Outlook I prefer to work well so I can react to things without being in the office, and it is very bad at that. Godforbid multiple people respond individually to an email I sent to a bunch of recipients as it manages to over complicate it, and the fact the badge number is unable to ever accurately reflect the true number of unread emails as soon as it’s above 0.

It’s been a bit better recently, I can only assume this in error and it’ll go back to its usual ways in a future update.

the outlook app is indispensable for work e-mail because it contains the all-import "ignore conversation" feature

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Not sure of this is the right thread, but is there a way in the Steam Link iOS app to tell my PC to run games in a different aspect ratio but only when launched from the iPad? They’ll default to 16:9 like my actual monitor but since the iPad is 4:3 it’d be nice to fill that space if I could.

atomicpile
Nov 7, 2009

Question Mark Mound posted:

Not sure of this is the right thread, but is there a way in the Steam Link iOS app to tell my PC to run games in a different aspect ratio but only when launched from the iPad? They’ll default to 16:9 like my actual monitor but since the iPad is 4:3 it’d be nice to fill that space if I could.

You can force the resolution on the PC in steam advanced streaming settings.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

atomicpile posted:

You can force the resolution on the PC in steam advanced streaming settings.
Thanks!

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Uh, pocket casts got sold again?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Kerbtree posted:

Uh, pocket casts got sold again?

The Wordpress people bought them up. NPR has been trying to sell them since last year iirc.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

yeah npr took a bath on it. the problem is that the free version is good enough that there’s not much reason to shell out for the premium sub, and if they made the free version shittier most people would just stop using it in favor of overcast or something

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Weedle posted:

yeah npr took a bath on it. the problem is that the free version is good enough that there’s not much reason to shell out for the premium sub, and if they made the free version shittier most people would just stop using it in favor of overcast or something

I have a lifetime of the premium because of something they did in one of their updates.

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

Loads of users who bought the app + desktop player when it wasn't free got really angry when they were switched to a 3-year premium membership. Then Shiftyjelly overcorrected massively and switched them all to lifetime subs and basically guaranteed they'd never get any revenue from their pre-freemium users.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Has anyone managed to actually get notifications from the official Olympic app? Mine aren’t working.

If not, is there an app that can do this for me? I just want to select a country and some sports and be told when those things are starting.