Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Tree Goat posted:

a slav is a featherless biped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

my slavic experience is everyone chain smokes and slams vodka shots at dinner, but somehow have iron livers and steel lungs.

Well, there IS a clear evolutionary pressure to withstand those poisons.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

rofl

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

Falukorv posted:

I think you can make the case that genuine Jämtlandic is different enough to merit some mention, being closer related to the neighbouring old norwegian dialects up there. But it is in a similar situation as elfdalinan as in not that many speak it and all of them speak standard swedish just fine. Still, jämtlandic is imo more intelligible than elfdalian for a middle swede. Compare some of Allan Edwalls songs that he sang in that dialect.

But yeah, Scanian at this point is a east danish influenced regional varation of standard swedish nowadays like most Swedish dialects.

And true, very inconsistent. Another glaring issue is the omission of the genuine Swedish "bondska" dialects around Piteå and Skellefteå in coastal northern Sweden with significanlty less intelligibility with "standard" Swedish than Scanian who get their own inguistic region. Same goes for the true Dalecarlian dialects above and west of Siljan in Dalarna. Elfdalian is not the only one, and some that are rather considered dialects of standard swedish are still at the very least as different to middle swedish as Scanian is.

Regarding Sami lagnuages i cant speak to their similarity other than pite and lule sami at least being closely related, but Pitesami has a much smaller number of speakers (less than 50) compared to Lule sami (at least 1000 and up to a couple of thousand speakers) and the largest northern sami (around 15 000 speakers).

Yeah, I poked around a bit on the wikipedia page for Jämtska, and it does seem quite different from standard Swedish, but by just knowing modern Norwegian and Swedish I could still understand just about everything when it was written down, which I certainly can't with Elfdalian. So while I would rather call it a dialect from the borderlands than its own language I guess an argument could at least be made that it can call itself a language.

Scanian is super ridiculous though. I guess a couple of linguists at the University of Lund might come up with a list of some words and grammatical quirks that differentiate it from regular Swedish, but that does not make it a language. Also, which Scanian dialect gets to decide how this supposed language is written? If they go with the stereotypical MFF-Skånska, the simple word "ja" could end up being spelled "jaoeåh" if they're not careful!

Here in Värmland I can instantly think of at least two dialects that would look very different from standard Swedish if anyone were to write down how people speak and call it a language. Those are the dialects in Sunne and Ekshärad, or Su-un and Ekshär as the locals call them respectively. People in Ekshärad might as well speak French with how many letters in some words they don't pronounce.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Scanian is just Swedish with wonky Rs.

It's about as much of a language as a Cockney accent is. Probably a lot less of a language than Cockney since at least the rhyming slang has lead to a lot of words and phrases that are entirely incomprehensible to outsiders.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
You're all being remarkably cavalier about how Scania came to be what it is today, but I guess cultural genocide is fine if you can look down on the descendants as backwards southerners.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Scandinavian languages all being very much mutually intelligible casts some doubt on whether or not they should all be counted as separate languages anyway.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

A Buttery Pastry posted:

You're all being remarkably cavalier about how Scania came to be what it is today, but I guess cultural genocide is fine if you can look down on the descendants as backwards southerners.

I'm still hunting for it, but there's an article about Danish Skåne in Språktidningen consisting mainly of letters from parish priests complaining to their colleagues back in Copenhagen about how bad the locals were at learning Danish.

Randarkman posted:

Scandinavian languages all being very much mutually intelligible casts some doubt on whether or not they should all be counted as separate languages anyway.

I learned Swedish as an adult, and until I actually took a university course in the Norwegian language, I couldn't tell the difference between it and some of the western dialects of Swedish. I just saw that they started putting subtitles under it.

Groda fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jul 8, 2021

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Groda posted:

I'm still hunting for it, but there's an article about Danish Skåne in Språktidningen consisting mainly of letters from parish priests complaining to their colleagues back in Copenhagen about how bad the locals were at learning Danish.

I'd like to read it, if you can find it! I found this article, which seems to say the opposite:
https://spraktidningen.se/2010/02/skaningarna-bytte-aldrig-sprak/

Priests who used Danish after 1680 were forced to use Swedish, and the common people were educated in Swedish via the catechism (in my own genealogy, I've used katekismilängder that sometimes list whether each person was "Danish" or "Swedish").

Some quotes about commoners (in my translation):

- "Annoyed parishioners complained that they were forced a new language, despite being 'neither German nor heathen', as the populace of Gässie expressed."
- "No matter how much the Scanians exerted themselves, they 'could not remember or understand' [Swedish], as a church inspector reported in 1686."

The article goes on to argue that the efforts were largely ineffective, and that the major changes to Scanian happened with industrialization in the 1800s, and that it began in the towns (to be expected, what with more traffic from other parts of the country — merchants, tradesmen, etc).

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

The top one looks like a bad fantasy map, especially if you rotate it so east is on the top.

"In land seas, really?"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Konec Hry
Jul 13, 2005

too much love will kill you

Grimey Drawer

FreudianSlippers posted:

incomprehensible to outsiders.

Bonnagilled posted:

På bored står där en spiddekaga
å mad så borbenen bårjar knaga
i hela hused där e en os
å sölta, brunkål å rabbemos.
I början snackar di mest om väret
te di får smort litta på mongläred.
Te fåsste sypen di tar nåd salt
sin går de nör både varmt å kallt.

Jins Pärsen bredbent går ront på gåled
mä högra tommen i västahåled
han snackar höjt om sin fine går
å rögar skarpt når han tar en tår.
Ve väggen kvingorna lyss så tösta
me sina stickor å garnanösta.
I kammaren spelar nånna knack
å slår i bored så de sir smack.

Jins Pärsens slips sidder bag i nacken
å mitt får ännen där släpper fracken
den vänstra böjsan har kröbet opp
å hängt se fast på hans pjäxestropp.
Di grinar opp se kring alla boren
som goa barn å den skånske joren
så hållt de gille, ja lad me se
ja tror de va nittanhonratre.

Konec Hry
Jul 13, 2005

too much love will kill you

Grimey Drawer
As a Scanian myself, it's clear that what I speak is basically a regional variation of Swedish. However, as I read that the late and great Peps Persson said, no one in these days is speaking "true" Scanian anymore, just Swedish with a Scanian accent.

I mean I still had relatives living late in the 20th century who said "alligevel" instead of "ändå".

For example, the example I posted above and this is, I think, more equal to "real" Scanian. I would still classify that as Swedish though.

Konec Hry fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Jul 8, 2021

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Pacific basin getting some top-tier dome from the south Atlantic.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Konec Hry posted:

As a Scanian myself, it's clear that what I speak is basically a regional variation of Swedish. However, as I read that the late and great Peps Persson said, no one in these days is speaking "true" Scanian anymore, just Swedish with a Scanian accent.

I mean I still had relatives living late in the 20th century who said "alligevel" instead of "ändå".

For example, the example I posted above and this is, I think, more equal to "real" Scanian. I would still classify that as Swedish though.

Those examples are neat! Here's an example of the East-Danish Bornholm dialect from 1869, with a contemporary translation to Standard Danish (rigsdansk):

But yeah, to be sure, I agree that Scanian isn't a Danish dialect anymore & was never a separate language.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Vasukhani posted:

The top one looks like a bad fantasy map, especially if you rotate it so east is on the top.

"In land seas, really?"

It just messes with my head seeing a different projection of the northeast like that, although it totally makes sense to arrange everything at like a 45 degree angle so that the coastline and the St. Lawrence river either go totally vertical or horizontal.

Oswego! to New York.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Konec Hry posted:

Carthag Tuek posted:

Those examples are neat! Here's an example of the East-Danish Bornholm dialect from 1869, with a contemporary translation to Standard Danish (rigsdansk):

But yeah, to be sure, I agree that Scanian isn't a Danish dialect anymore & was never a separate language.

This is very cool, there's lots of interesting parallels between the different non-standard dialects of all the Scandinavian languages that I've noticed. Some sort of parallel evolution going on here and there maybe.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Scandigoons talking about scandinavian languages in english, the most scandinavian thing in the world

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

SlothfulCobra posted:

It just messes with my head seeing a different projection of the northeast like that, although it totally makes sense to arrange everything at like a 45 degree angle so that the coastline and the St. Lawrence river either go totally vertical or horizontal.

This gives me a headache.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Scandigoons talking about scandinavian languages in english, the most scandinavian thing in the world

That's just for politeness, we all speak our own languages in Skanditråden :)

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

A hosed up Mercator. I know people intellectually understand that projections are hosed but i particularly like this as an example of that because you can say "where's India?" and watch people's heads melt.

Muscle Tracer fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jul 8, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

:pwn: what is that, madrid to christchurch?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Carthag Tuek posted:

:pwn: what is that, madrid to christchurch?

Alaejos to Wellington

http://rwoodley.org/?p=1654

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Grevling posted:

This is very cool, there's lots of interesting parallels between the different non-standard dialects of all the Scandinavian languages that I've noticed. Some sort of parallel evolution going on here and there maybe.

Speaking of parallel evolutions in Germanic languages, here's another nifty one: the rhotic shift. English used to have a clear alveolar r (which is stereotypically associated with Scots these days) but it began to turn into the approximant r before consonants and at the end of words before taking over all instances, and the r disappearing altogether at word ends and in pre-consonant positions over the course of the 19th century (which is why US English retained the approximant in all positions except in Southern US English and the closely related AAVE).

Now, Norwegian, Swedish and (Northern) Dutch are going through the same cycle, where the previously clear alveolar r is turning into approximants in pre-consonant positions and/or in word endings. The only thing that's throwing a spanner in the works is the steady spread of the uvular r, which is now co-standard in Dutch and standard in both German and Danish.

Slightly amusing sidenote: I took two years of Norwegian as an optional course at uni, and some drunk college kid in Norway thought I was a Dane when I was trying to speak Norwegian with him, then felt despondent when I switched to English, stating that he was "such a rural bumpkin from Nor-Norge that even that Dane couldn't understand my Norwegian". Truth was I had simply run out of words and I am very obviously not Danish, but I do speak Norwegian with a uvular r because switching between an alveolar r and an approximant fucks me up (I use neither in my native language).

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

heh, not too far off!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

All the ladies and mens know it's better.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Pope Hilarius II posted:

Speaking of parallel evolutions in Germanic languages, here's another nifty one: the rhotic shift. English used to have a clear alveolar r (which is stereotypically associated with Scots these days) but it began to turn into the approximant r before consonants and at the end of words before taking over all instances, and the r disappearing altogether at word ends and in pre-consonant positions over the course of the 19th century (which is why US English retained the approximant in all positions except in Southern US English and the closely related AAVE).

Now, Norwegian, Swedish and (Northern) Dutch are going through the same cycle, where the previously clear alveolar r is turning into approximants in pre-consonant positions and/or in word endings. The only thing that's throwing a spanner in the works is the steady spread of the uvular r, which is now co-standard in Dutch and standard in both German and Danish.

Slightly amusing sidenote: I took two years of Norwegian as an optional course at uni, and some drunk college kid in Norway thought I was a Dane when I was trying to speak Norwegian with him, then felt despondent when I switched to English, stating that he was "such a rural bumpkin from Nor-Norge that even that Dane couldn't understand my Norwegian". Truth was I had simply run out of words and I am very obviously not Danish, but I do speak Norwegian with a uvular r because switching between an alveolar r and an approximant fucks me up (I use neither in my native language).

Meanwhile in Australia, they are just moving the Rs around. Norrrrrr, I live in Austaliar, we don't say the aaaah

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Meanwhile in Australia, they are just moving the Rs around. Norrrrrr, I live in Austaliar, we don't say the aaaah

that's an intrusive r

which is probably rather on-brand for, you know, Australia

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Carthag Tuek posted:

Is there a reason why Rigsdank is printed in Antiqua and Bornholm dialect in Fraktur? In German of that time you’d see Antiqua normally only for non-German texts and vocabulary, but in this case both texts are at least nominally Danish

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

System Metternich posted:

Is there a reason why Rigsdank is printed in Antiqua and Bornholm dialect in Fraktur? In German of that time you’d see Antiqua normally only for non-German texts and vocabulary, but in this case both texts are at least nominally Danish

Other way around, the Rigsdansk text is the one printed in fraktur, which was still the standard at the time (though progressives were starting to shift to antiqua by then). Antiqua was similarly used for foreign texts here, and its use for the Bornholm dialect is probably an intentional commentary.

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jul 8, 2021

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Muscle Tracer posted:

A hosed up Mercator. I know people intellectually understand that projections are hosed but i particularly like this as an example of that because you can say "where's India?" and watch people's heads melt.

I mean, India's easy, its right there! A harder one would be say South Sudan, or other countries in the middle of Africa.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

I wonder what kind of bizarre climate there would be around the Atlantic+Indian ocean if Africa was on the north pole like that.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Kennel posted:

I wonder what kind of bizarre climate there would be around the Atlantic+Indian ocean if Africa was on the north pole like that.

Well, we currently have one land pole and one ocean pole, so it might not be as different as you'd think if they were just flipped N-S. The big differences that we see in paleoclimate tend to be warmer climates associated with having two ocean poles (I can't think of a time when there were two continental poles, but I suspect that'd be much colder) and no continents in the way of an equatorial ocean current, also warmer. There's a lot of continents there on what would be the equatorial line, but the Great Southern Ocean is wide open to a degree we don't have. That would have a bigger impact but I'm not enough of a climatologist to predict what it would be after just one undergrad course years ago.

EDIT: Oh, specifically in the Atlantic-Indian? Not sure there either, that's almost an enclosed basin as regards to the sort of E-W currents that drive climate. Interesting thought.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Muscle Tracer posted:

This would be a cool rear end alt-history world. Something like a second Mediterranean in the Canadian Arctic Archipelago, with all the continents relatively accessible to each other.

E: I guess the Med, CAA, Caribbean and Indonesia et. al. all form their own little communities.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jul 9, 2021

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Kennel posted:

PittTheElder posted:

This would be a cool rear end alt-history world. Something like a second Mediterranean in the Canadian Arctic Archipelago, with all the continents relatively accessible to each other.

E: I guess the Med, CAA, Caribbean and Indonesia et. al. all form their own little communities.

There's an old website I've always liked that explores some of these what-if worlds by means of repainted globes. One of them is, by chance, very close to the map in question, with the north pole in Africa.

The climate and geography stuff the author discusses is really interesting; I just wish he'd stopped short of drawing the various kinds of furries that might have evolved on these worlds. :sigh: Oh, which reminds me, a few of those furry drawings might be slightly :nws:, so be warned.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Kennel posted:

This gives me a headache.

reminds me of the tabula peutingeriana

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

https://twitter.com/cnut_real/status/1412984159287451651?s=21

Forza azzurri

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU