Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Considering the situation research is probably not something we have many resources to spare for.

To counterbalance the good ideas in the thread: We could just decommission all of our ships, use the scraps to make crude but effective melee weapons to equip our entire population with before strapping the engines to our asteroid base and going full speed directly towards Achilles. I'm sure it will work flawlessly if the game allows it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Poil posted:

Considering the situation research is probably not something we have many resources to spare for.

To counterbalance the good ideas in the thread: We could just decommission all of our ships, use the scraps to make crude but effective melee weapons to equip our entire population with before strapping the engines to our asteroid base and going full speed directly towards Achilles. I'm sure it will work flawlessly if the game allows it.

the logical extension of that commissar in a tank meme

Boomboomf22
Oct 21, 2016

sebmojo posted:

speaking of, is research even a thing in this particular game? do we have any capability to improve our gear?

I'm pretty sure Frey is RPing how our tech progression works. ATM in terms of labs we have none and thus no tech progression.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
I definitely agree on making more fighters so long as it's feasible. They proved their worth so having more than a single flight can help. Particularly since Ashes will be getting an upgraded hangar.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Boomboomf22 posted:

I'm pretty sure Frey is RPing how our tech progression works. ATM in terms of labs we have none and thus no tech progression.

I don't think there's really anything to rp. We're basically using things we scavenged without knowing how to build more.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Volmarias posted:

I don't think there's really anything to rp. We're basically using things we scavenged without knowing how to build more.

theres that computer core we scavenged from the comet...

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

sebmojo posted:

theres that computer core we scavenged from the comet...

Watch it turn out that's just a PlayStation 9 for the Diluvians to play The You Testament HD or whatever.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
It has Skyrim on it

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

24 December, 2153

Hektor begins her preparations to unify the cluster against Achilles. Pyotr has just made his departure sunward, leaving behind the battered Miltiades. She enters the shipyards and will emerge in about three months as Paralos, a name chosen by her new Captain Hiho ChiRho and XO Ulysse de Tropconfiant (aka HabeasDorkus). The Diluvian ship, too, goes in for a reworking of her cargo spaces to become a splendid new freighter in about the same time. The fried Deep Space Tracking Station is being refurbished with array modules plucked from the one on Chiron, and should be operational very shortly.

Pyotr also sold you some resistance contacts to facilitate arms smuggling into Achillean space. The most important of these are prominent individuals on Menelaus. Pyotr has discretely put you in touch with them, and you are preparing to route the first shipments through Menelaean docks that they control.

With that business resolved, the time has come to actually begin the unification campaign. This will be an extended process which will require meeting with your neighbors, hearing their concerns, and demonstrating your suitability to lead them into a new era for the cluster. I'll explain the process now.

Establishing Presence
You have an envoy (anyone want to play a diplomat?), whom you’ll send to each of the independents in turn. At each location, the envoy will spend a month investigating the local situation, ingratiating with the leadership, and setting up a diplomatic presence there. When completed, you’ll get a report from the envoy to guide your approach in persuading that colony to join you. You can then send the envoy to another colony while still talking with the first one.

Persuasion
After establishing a presence on a colony, you can perform acts of Bribery or Inspiration to persuade them. Different colonies may require different tactics and offer different opportunities for persuasion, and actions at one colony may influence another colony, positively or negatively. You don't have to fully persuade a colony right away after establishing your presence, but don't leave them hanging too long!

You have a set of tools that you can use for your bribery. One act of bribery will rarely be enough by itself, and including acts of inspiration will be much more effective than bribery alone. Acts of inspiration will be more situation to the values and interests of the colony, and may strongly depend on how you dealt with other colonies.
Give aid from the bribe fund to fulfill specific needs identified by the envoy. Can be used four times.
Grant medical access to facilities on Hektor. Can be used twice, and on any colony.
Establish trade using the converted freighter, when it's ready. Can be used twice, and on any colony.

For the most part I’ll avoid formal votes unless it’s a big decision like invading or couping someone, making a big promise, etc. Otherwise I’ll just take the thread’s temperature for what to do next. For our first move, the most popular idea seems to be Approaching Ajax, so here we go. You'll get your envoy's report soon, and right now you can give the envoy instructions about what specifically you're interested in learning there.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Leaning towards Give Aid on Ajax as I think most of us have agreed once we have our presence setup there appropriately. Will defer to the rest of the group hwat it seems good to ask for/about. Not sure Ajax has a lot to offer us strategically so this could be more of just a general gift in the aid of 'helping our fellow downtrodden'?

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

sebmojo posted:

speaking of, is research even a thing in this particular game? do we have any capability to improve our gear?

So we're not going to follow regular Aurora mechanics with research labs and scientists and such. The way it'll work is you'll rediscover technologies or expertise, like you did at Chiron. For major discoveries I may also require an expenditure of resources in a Project, to render yourselves able to digest and reproduce that tech or capability. In general just finding a pre-war component is not enough on its own, unless you can collect many samples to study. What you really want is for your data archaeologists to pull design and operating information from old caches, or refurbish an old plant, or gain it directly from someone who already has the technology.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Fray posted:

Pyotr also sold you some resistance contacts to facilitate arms smuggling into Achillean space. The most important of these are prominent individuals on Menelaus. Pyotr has discretely put you in touch with them, and you are preparing to route the first shipments through Menelaean docks that they control.

Well, this piques my interest in Menelaus suddenly. I knew they were a somewhat impoverished rock in worryingly close proximity to the League, but it never occured to me that this makes them a prime go-between for smuggling and covert interaction. Space Casablanca, I dig it.

But the tone of the thread seems to favor the low-hanging fruit first to get the hang of this "building a coalition" thing, so yeah, I advocate Send Envoy to Establish Presence on Ajax. Find out what they're in most desperate need of in terms of material resources. My guess would be giving aid of some sort, but we can probably target that a little more specifically than just giving them Cheetos and rain ponchos or whatever.

Boomboomf22
Oct 21, 2016
I volunteer to be spaced by angry locals as our envoy to the stars. Envoy Boomboom has pretentions to both a military and political career, and sees this as a stepping stone to one or the other.

Edit: I realized that I should probably outline my thoughts on what I should try and find out in this post rather than making a double post. SO I think we should focus finding out what the exact political situation on Ajax is. Is the strongman a thug, or just the only person holding things together? Additionally how bad exactly are things on this rock? We know they aren't far off being a failed colony, but we don't know by how much. Finding that out would allow us to target any aid we send, and determine how or if we need to involve ourselves in the distribution. Additionally I, sorry our envoy :), should maybe look into how easy it might be to influence them into alignment with us through inspiration.

Boomboomf22 fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jul 8, 2021

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
My only request is that whenever the Envoy enters a meeting, this plays, and they wait for it to finish before beginning discussions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B544fVj1v_s

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jul 8, 2021

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I would also be up for envoyery. But have no preferences for where we start looking.

MAybe go along with our first cargo shipment to start on our information gathering campaign

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

habeasdorkus posted:

My only request is that whenever the Envoy enters a meeting, this plays, and they wait for it to finish before beginning discussions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B544fVj1v_s

TNE arms in the Solar East
Odysseus attacking Meriones
Ajax is mad at Achilles
And Tecuer do whatever she please
Looks like another threat to cluster peace
For the Envoy

Things got hot in old Chiron
Ashes got caught with her lights on
He's got "diplomatic immunity"
He's got a lethal starship that everyone sees
For the Envoy
Send the Envoy
Send the Envoy

Whenever there's a crisis
The Hektorites send the Envoy
Guns on Telamon
Whooooa Agamemnon

TNE arms in the Solar East
Odysseus attacking Meriones
Ajax is mad at Achilles
And Tecuer do whatever she please
For the Envoy
Send the Envoy
Send the Envoy
Send the Envoy

-[REDACTED], as recorded drunkenly singing in Ashes' newly acquired engineering bay in an ill-advised attempt to test announcement systems in the area. Names have been redacted to protect the guilty.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

quote:

The fried Deep Space Tracking Station

Misread this for a moment, and now I'm petitioning the thread to name a listening station Deep Fried Space Tracking Station, thank you.

Innocent_Bystander
May 17, 2012

Wait, missile production is my responsibility?

Oh.
I'm up for envoying if/when the previous candidates find themselves staring blankly at the wrong side of an airlock.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Volmarias posted:

Misread this for a moment, and now I'm petitioning the thread to name a listening station Deep Fried Space Tracking Station, thank you.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

Volmarias posted:

:bandwagon:

BwenGun
Dec 1, 2013

Dr. Snark posted:

-[REDACTED], as recorded drunkenly singing in Ashes' newly acquired engineering bay in an ill-advised attempt to test announcement systems in the area. Names have been redacted to protect the guilty.

This is pretty brilliant!

Volmarias posted:

Also this.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Cool thread! Put me in as pilot of Red 2 please!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Dr. Snark posted:

Hell yes.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

thatbastardken posted:

Cool thread! Put me in as pilot of Red 2 please!

Boomboomf22 posted:

I volunteer to be spaced by angry locals as our envoy to the stars. Envoy Boomboom has pretentions to both a military and political career, and sees this as a stepping stone to one or the other.

Edit: I realized that I should probably outline my thoughts on what I should try and find out in this post rather than making a double post. SO I think we should focus finding out what the exact political situation on Ajax is. Is the strongman a thug, or just the only person holding things together? Additionally how bad exactly are things on this rock? We know they aren't far off being a failed colony, but we don't know by how much. Finding that out would allow us to target any aid we send, and determine how or if we need to involve ourselves in the distribution. Additionally I, sorry our envoy :), should maybe look into how easy it might be to influence them into alignment with us through inspiration.

Y'all are hired.

Volmarias posted:

It shall be done, following the discovery of a secret fried food stand in a ruined section of the tracking station on Hektor. How do you use a deep fryer in microgravity? Very carefully.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Do the other rocks have anything remotely comparable to the Deep Space Tracking System? Might want to build some for allies - a mutual defence agreement is a lot more appealing if the allied fleet has enough notice to show up in time.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

mossyfisk posted:

Do the other rocks have anything remotely comparable to the Deep Space Tracking System? Might want to build some for allies - a mutual defence agreement is a lot more appealing if the allied fleet has enough notice to show up in time.

I'm honestly not sure on this. I'd wager Akhilles does simply because they were a military installation. Discord seems to think Teucer would have definitely one, but as a refinery/mining station I'm not sure they'd have come equipped with one and it's the type of thing that would be nigh impossible to trade for since the Fall. And even if they have one it might not be working due to either a lack of parts or a lack

An interesting read for this game in particular, given that there's possibly fewer than 50m people across our neighborhood, is Charlie Stross back in 2010 trying to figure out how many people you'd need to keep modern technological society from backsliding. Apologies for the big chunk of text, but I think it's worth considering in our context:

"Charlie Stross posted:

There's a deceptively simple question that's been bugging me this week, and it is this:

What is the minimum number of people you need in order to maintain (not necessarily to extend) our current level of technological civilization?
Let's take a look at the superficial structures around us. How many people does it take to design a new automobile? Back in Henry Ford's day, it needed an office full of draughtsmen, a handle of senior engineers to sort out each major mechanical subsystem (gear train, engine, electrics, brakes, suspension, bodywork), and experts on coachbuilding to dictate the shape of the bodywork. There would be time and motion men to dictate the speed and sequence of assembly line activities, and more drafting work to design the tools the production line workers would use ... it took the effort of a few hundred men.

But modern cars are different. A typical 2010 automobile may contain roughly 20-30 electric motors and actuators (for everything from the central locking system to the air conditioning and the motorized seats and windows). There's a similar number of microprocessors involved in everything from the engine and gearbox management systems to the entertainment, navigation, communication, and accident mitigation systems (for example, the sensors and microprocessors that control the sequence of pyrotechnic detonators that inflate air bags, tension seat belts, and collapse the steering column in event of a collision). The in-car electronics alone require on the order of 10-20 million lines of code to run all these services — which implies the combined efforts of thousands of software developers, never mind the small army who design not only the body panels but the handling tools the production line robots use to install them. Cars are no longer user-serviceable because they're nearly as complex as 1960s airliners.
I'd put an upper bound of about one billion on the range, because that encompasses basically the entire population of NAFTA and the EU, with Japan, Taiwan, and the industrial enterprise zones of China thrown in for good measure. (While China is significant, more than half of its population is still agrarian, hence not providing inputs to this system).

I'd put a lower bound of 100 million on the range, too. The specialities required for a civil aviation sector alone may well run to half a million people; let's not underestimate the needs of raw material extraction and processing (from crude oil to yttrium and lanthanum), of a higher education/research sector to keep training the people we need in order to replenish small pools of working expertise, and so on.

Even accepting for game purposes that TNEs make things much simpler, we're talking about ten or so local polities ranging from maybe 300,000 to 10 million trying to keep what was originally highly complex and technologically sophisticated life support, manufacturing, mining, engineering, etc. systems working. There's probably high tech equipment on Hektor that are too valuable to cannibalize for parts because if we can just get this one precision engineered part in a trade it'll be orders of magnitude more productive/efficient/safe than doing things the lower tech hard way.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

That's one huge advantage if we can open up relations with our neighbors. Sharing expertize and knowledge would make our technology leap forward. Not having everyone trying to do the same thing independently. Medicine, art, sciences, shitposts, agriculture, the list goes on.

sebmojo posted:

the logical extension of that commissar in a tank meme
Not what I was going for but I'll take it. As punishment you can look at this:

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Fray posted:

Y'all are hired.

It shall be done, following the discovery of a secret fried food stand in a ruined section of the tracking station on Hektor. How do you use a deep fryer in microgravity? Very carefully.

Can I be hired as a warship pilot/captain of some kind? I'm not fussy and I'll be happy to pilot the HSS Rustbucket of Warcrimes.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

habeasdorkus posted:

I'm honestly not sure on this. I'd wager Akhilles does simply because they were a military installation. Discord seems to think Teucer would have definitely one, but as a refinery/mining station I'm not sure they'd have come equipped with one and it's the type of thing that would be nigh impossible to trade for since the Fall. And even if they have one it might not be working due to either a lack of parts or a lack

An interesting read for this game in particular, given that there's possibly fewer than 50m people across our neighborhood, is Charlie Stross back in 2010 trying to figure out how many people you'd need to keep modern technological society from backsliding. Apologies for the big chunk of text, but I think it's worth considering in our context:

Even accepting for game purposes that TNEs make things much simpler, we're talking about ten or so local polities ranging from maybe 300,000 to 10 million trying to keep what was originally highly complex and technologically sophisticated life support, manufacturing, mining, engineering, etc. systems working. There's probably high tech equipment on Hektor that are too valuable to cannibalize for parts because if we can just get this one precision engineered part in a trade it'll be orders of magnitude more productive/efficient/safe than doing things the lower tech hard way.

Worth noting is that this is an attempt to determine what it would require to continue producing things at the same level. We're not really producing things, though; we're maintaining, and at most making replacement parts as well as we can, which isn't very. I can't design and build a new car, but I can change my oil, and can probably figure out how to replace a part if I knew it was broken, so long as there are some spares. A mechanical engineer could probably spec a replacement part to a "good enough" level and a machine shop could probably make it to a "good enough" level as long as it's not going to be especially fiddly.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

habeasdorkus posted:

I mean, we had a DSTS. We didn't build a new one, we just fixed the old one that was broken by a virus. So it seems clear you don't need to be some military base to have had one pre-war, the only question is who could keep theirs running, and Teucer seems to be an obvious candidate because of all their sorium bucks.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

*taps the dorfing jobs sheet*

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Same

BwenGun
Dec 1, 2013

120% chance there's a moon or 'roid somewhere in the system where someone was funking about with the gravity settings in the floor, cranked it up to 2g and then thought they might as well genetically engineer the poo poo out of their population to ensure full beards and short muscular frames are had by all. Hopefully by the time we reach them in game they've established a proper data storage medium for all the grudges and slights visited upon them.

DrinkingBird
Sep 26, 2017
I don't really expect this to be much more than a one-sided charitable overture but I would like the envoy to find out what assets Ajax could contribute in the short or long term. Helping a struggling population and engendering goodwill is its own reward but it would also be nice to get material rewards. Maybe they have some resource they haven't been able to properly utilize or something.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Trade in general is good because even if all they have to offer is grape vine grafts that's a huge get if we don't have any of our own. They're gonna have stuff that we want even if it's just the recipe for vat grown dark poultry meat or something. Plus, each rock might be good at different things/have different mission modules on site based upon their intended function pre-Catastrophe.

Bremen posted:

I mean, we had a DSTS. We didn't build a new one, we just fixed the old one that was broken by a virus. So it seems clear you don't need to be some military base to have had one pre-war, the only question is who could keep theirs running, and Teucer seems to be an obvious candidate because of all their sorium bucks.

Sure, but Hektor was intended to be "a spaceport hub" that would be "the planned center of operations in the L4 cluster" and "built to serve the logistical needs of deep space operations," and the place was "state-of-the-art at the time of the Catastrophe." Which is why it makes sense that we'd have a DSTS in the first place. All of the other rocks, except Akhilles (as a naval installation) and maybe Agamemnon (since they're so far out that they don't get coverage from our DSTS), would have likely been linked into our systems and using our DSTS.

Fray, do we have any idea what the other asteroids were intended to be way back before the fall? Akhilles is the former Kosmicheskie Voyska Rossii patrol base, we were the operations & logistical hub, Teucer was and still is a sorium mining and refining joint, but I don't think we know what the rest were originally. It'd make sense that they had some level of specialization since the colonization plan seems to have been intended for the L4 cluster to work as one cohesive group, it'd also make sense if we have little to no idea what those specializations are due to someone accidentally erasing the spreadsheet with that information when reformatting a hard drive in the administrative offices.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jul 8, 2021

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

e: accidental double post.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

BwenGun posted:

120% chance there's a moon or 'roid somewhere in the system where someone was funking about with the gravity settings in the floor, cranked it up to 2g and then thought they might as well genetically engineer the poo poo out of their population to ensure full beards and short muscular frames are had by all. Hopefully by the time we reach them in game they've established a proper data storage medium for all the grudges and slights visited upon them.

Squats being retconned out was actually a pretty good decision though.

SLAM SECTOR

BwenGun
Dec 1, 2013

Volmarias posted:

Squats being retconned out was actually a pretty good decision though.

SLAM SECTOR

Angrily scribbles in space dorf book.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Situation Report - Ajax
27 January, 2154

After a period of investigation and acclimation, I have completed my assessment of local conditions on the colony of Ajax. Please see the enclosed report of my key findings.

General Population
Our time on Ajax does not disabuse us of the colony’s reputation as the most miserable in the L4 cluster. Standard of living is barely above minimally survivable conditions, and health and nutrition are visibly poor among the general populace. Environment, agriculture, and other key systems are in disrepair, with no replacement parts on hand or means of producing them. An air recycling failure has already been observed in the month since arrival. The nature of these deficiencies is quite ordinary, however, and Hektor enviro technicians could remedy them using available resources (Bribe?).

Politics and Government
Political power is centralized in the person of one Velentin Dukil, who rules the colony as an authoritarian. His position is maintained by providing luxurious conditions for select lieutenants and privileged treatment of the colony militia. Dukil’s residence, or rather palace, offers living conditions unknown to any person on Hektor, despite the squalor of the general populace. This lavish hospitality was extended to the diplomatic team.

Governance appears to be chiefly concerned with maintaining the regime’s authority. The courts, such as they are, punish perceived sedition harshly and publicly. We perceive little love by the populace for the regime; active methods to effect a liberatory change in leadership are not out of the question (Inspire?).

Economic Capacities
Ajax contains minor TNE deposits, owing to the rock’s small size. A few mining facilities were built before the war to harvest these veins, but it appears a lack of technical ability has caused them to fall into disrepair, with productivity being well below theoretical capacity. Technical investment to re-establish productivity is a possibility (Bribe?).

Military Capacities
The Ajax military barely deserves to be called such. The colony possesses a single ship, an armed rockhopper, which does nothing more than patrol the immediate surroundings of the asteroid. Ground forces consist only of a few militia companies, who are poorly armed and whose primary duties are to discipline the population. The general population, accustomed to hardship and strict discipline, could perhaps produce superior soldiers if allowed the opportunity.

Attitude Towards Achillean League
The diplomatic team was sure to bring up previously observed harassment by League Navy patrols. Dukil and his lieutenants expressed irritation at Miltiades’ captain’s actions near Ajax. It has been discussed whether to privately reveal Hektor’s role in defeating that very ship, as this could curry favor (Inspire?). The discretion of Ajax’s regime is questionable, however.

Attitude Towards Alliance with Hektor
Dukil himself shows little interest in issues beyond his fiefdom. Material aid to ameliorate the poor conditions in the colony was proffered, but such proposals met with lukewarm reception. Diplomatic gifts to Dukil and high ranking officers received much greater enthusiasm; it seems possible that cooperation could instead be secured, with little expense, through continued personal gifts to the regime (Free Bribe?).

----

A diplomatic presence has been established to facilitate continued communications, and I await further assignment.

Jeffrey “Boomboom” Boomhauer
Lead Diplomat and Representative on Mission

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Innocent_Bystander
May 17, 2012

Wait, missile production is my responsibility?

Oh.
So there's quite a few long-hanging fruits here, I'd say the question isn't so much how we're going to get Ajax into our sphere as whether we do it with or without the existing regime. Going around toppling governments we don't like might not endear us much to our other neighbours, but I can't imagine there'll be many tears shed over this particular one.

How feasible would it be to get them on our sides with gifts for a bit and then stab them in the back with a sudden palace coup?