Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I always assume dwalves are some hideous combination of dwarf and elf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LukasR23
Nov 25, 2019

The Lone Badger posted:

I always assume dwalves are some hideous combination of dwarf and elf.

That's the impression I got during my testing. Got a bunch of 'Eldeves' from a hero that were supposedly their surface cousins. It was awful.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

AtomikKrab posted:

Is that a Troop?

Would 100% GoR it

I can't see a way to do it, because paths restrictions and foreign recruit banning. Only way to get N (I think) would be empowering, random event mage or throne mage bypassing the recruit ban.

LukasR23
Nov 25, 2019

Donkringel posted:

I can't see a way to do it, because paths restrictions and foreign recruit banning. Only way to get N (I think) would be empowering, random event mage or throne mage bypassing the recruit ban.

That’s from a different nation in the pack that allows foreign recruits. You can totally gift it. I think.

LukasR23
Nov 25, 2019
Turn 9 - Oversized Novelty Chairs
Throne battles are fun, and this one will take up most of the update.

Throne battle, scout battle, arms dealer, and Fio and Eri have returned! Without their gear. Oh well, at least I’ve got them on board.
Once again, battles last.

This one is just getting posted because I enjoy the flavour text. The carrot itself is a decent enough Construction 2 item, giving +10 HP, +1 Strength, and some minor regen. Note that it doesn’t actually work the turn you put it on, and they’ll enter the battle at their previous HP then slowly regen up to the new maximum.

Sometimes it’s hard to tell if events are normal or from people casting spells at you. This one.. Feels normal. Mostly. Nobody with nature would be casting things at me yet, so it’s probably just an unlucky event.

Some of them apparently moved right next door, and will boost that province’s income a little bit!
My income is still trash though.

The global event is an event everyone gets. Sometimes these are spawned by thrones.
This one is just a random one. It’ll last a few turns, and might be nice for people who aren’t me. As it is, I’m not researching thaumaturgy and nor do I care for thaumaturgy with this nation. ...At least not yet. I'll sitesearch at some point probably maybe.

Fio and Eri’s events have no text, so I won’t bother screenshotting them. Not when there are battles to get to!

This is about what I expected. Always funny to see an archer kill an ally.

It's.. Pretty boring. Just the dwarves slowly walking forward and killing literally everything in their path.
Except for this guy!

He’s lost an arm, and nobody felt like giving him a one-handed flail. I feel bad for him.

This is where the real meat lies. Zero kills on the truck is.. Interesting. Everything else looks about right! Note the 12 kills on the metal slugs.

We’re facing a right mess of monkey people. Well… vaguely indian god-figures.

Note all those gems. These things mean business. And that business is.. Elementals.

And a few buffs, I guess. But the elemental is far scarier. The army will probably just fall to the metal slugs, but one elemental can kill a lot of humans.

The opening barrage is a good one! Those two clusters at the top are the slugs, while everything is conventional bullets and arrows.

The flaming one being the shell, in this case. Guess it doesn’t get a unique graphic.They’re flying over the main line to hit the ball of archers, while the regular soldiers shoot whatever does the most damage.

It’s a very graceful arc. Less graceful is the log in the top left, that shows we’ll be getting a second elemental too.

Ooh, yeah. 24 damage is a very nice number to see on that mage. It’d have pulped any sort of human caster that was mixed in with the archers. Let that be a lesson to lazy scripters!

Sadly, it wasn’t enough to kill. Four hit points short. Bah! Would've splattered most things.

At least he's almost out of gems.
Over at the actual front…

Yeah, that’s about right. Looks like the slugs targeted this area instead for their second round.
They’re finished off in another round of blistering fire, and now all that’s left…

Is the elementals. The scariest part, honestly.

Especially the Earth Elemental, which can trample smaller units instead of having to just attack normally. Moving into their tile, displacing them, generally messing things up.. And when my troops shoot it they’ll hit each other.

In summary, not ideal. Wait…
Marco no what are you doing stop
Marco

The earth elemental gets shrunk down fairly badly by some point-blank shots from the metal slugs, but Marco is still right in front of that water elemental. And he has zero protection.
Although water elemental attacks technically aren’t magical...

It still turns him into goddamn mulch. But look up at the top left! He’s still alive, just without the shotgun I gave him. God drat it, Marco. Why did you have to do that?

This is officially getting a bit silly. We’ve got multiple elementals, swarms of oversized beetles (that do poison damage, the little bastards) and several.. Animals? On the way. Stupid spellcasters.

Looks like he’s been merrily summoning even after his buddy fled.
Summoning so hard he’s gone unconscious. Which is bad. Everyone else routs a second after I take this shot, but the unconscious mage remains on the field, so the elementals continue to hit my troops.

...I think.

Huh. I didn’t know that was an interaction.
Either way, that’s a win! And a lot of bullets wasted on a few unconscious elementals and mages.I for one am happy about this turn of events.
Except for Marco losing his gun.
Damnit, Marco.
Hero death count: 4

Tactically… this is a bit of a mess. I can see Ryugo-Jo has taken their first province from Oceania, and Cassia is otherwise doing their thing. But right now my priority is securing my new throne. Full of Hot Chicks, Honest the Prophet is going to claim it for me and keep her 50-odd troops around as a temporary guard and Rumi is coming in to set up a fort over the next couple of turns.

...What is my new throne?

This! It’s not fantastic for me, but that defence skill buff is honestly kind of nice. 3 water gems is mostly useless to me though. Maybe I can trade them to someone else. And I don’t think I even get the hydromancer.
It’s better than some of the recruit-only thrones, at the very least.

Future Lukas Note: This throne is FANTASTIC. Water 3 breaks me into the path straight up to water 5, and while I lack the ability to make any water-boosting artifacts just having easy access to water-only forges is great.

Marco will be returning to HQ to get a real weapon again (damnit, Marco) while Tarma and Watched too much Rambo head to White Peaks. I’ve got a plan, and it involves invading dwarves.

Because yes, the dwarves are definitely dying first at this point. Ramc is a better player than I am and has actual range capabilities worth a drat. ‘Cobald’ the Dwarf player is someone I don’t really know, and their nation seems very vulnerable to being shot a lot by big guns. It’s Ulm But Better, and would probably do really well if it was bordering anyone except me. Or the Jedi.

Back at home, Fio and John Steele in a Cheap Suit are also moving aggressively forward, to Bhamot.

Fio is outfitted with a decently tanky setup and the Chilli I confiscated, while Steele will have to rely on his machine gun. This has a chance of tipping my hand, but it should just look like I’m taking Baypond. Not that it matters much, if he’s not thinking about invading me he probably has attacking someone else on the brain. Baypond itself I’m probably going to ignore for a while, because I don’t see a reason to bother with the knights for now.

Bradley Bunch is forging a construction 4 weapon, the Laser.

Because armor negation is very good against a nation of very heavily armoured dwarves.
Recruitment this turn is once again pretty light, I’m just grabbing one extra FCV so I have more freespawn, and that should allow me to afford to begin fort construction next turn.

Next time: Hopefully nobody attacks me! I’m not sure how everyone else will respond to my throne conquest, but maybe I can shoot them a lot and make them piss off somewhere else.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
When something has two elements, like the Laser, what does the resistance check against?

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

PurpleXVI posted:

When something has two elements, like the Laser, what does the resistance check against?

It chooses randomly between an element each time it deals damage, like with different physical damage types on weapons.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Arcvasti posted:

It chooses randomly between an element each time it deals damage, like with different physical damage types on weapons.

Yes, this is the worst possible way they could have implemented it. Yes, it makes the poison/fire sulphur haze either incredibly deadly or easily resistible and nothing inbetween.

LukasR23
Nov 25, 2019

Arcvasti posted:

That's... kind of atrocious. Would you have to implement it as as a secondary weapon to have a dual-type weapon work properly? (I.E fire damage on top as a secondary affect instead of a fire/blunt weapon)

I'm kind of glad I know this now at least, because it does explain a few oddities I've seen.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
I'm gonna be generous and assume that Marco ran out of ammo before charging that elemental.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

LukasR23 posted:

That's... kind of atrocious. Would you have to implement it as as a secondary weapon to have a dual-type weapon work properly? (I.E fire damage on top as a secondary affect instead of a fire/blunt weapon)

More or less, though that might invite its own weirdness by being two separate damage instances.

LukasR23
Nov 25, 2019
Turn 10 - Bank Error in your favour
Most of the 'happening' this turn isn't in the turn itself, so I've folded in a bonus update.

Arms dealer was another grenade box, so I’m going to try dual-wielding them on Eri. We'll see if that kills her!

The Shambhalans are appointing a really late prophet. I don’t think they’ve had one yet. Maybe they were waiting on a summon or something? Doesn’t matter to me, they’re nowhere near me.

Future Lukas Note: Wow, I really should have checked the nation overview.

This is the Rje. It looks like a decent H1 Commander? Those stats are nice, but he's still a squishy-ish human. And he's 180 gold!

And this one is just my throne claim finally coming through. I get three water gems a turn, a minor defence skill buff, and mages! The last of which is most important. I can do a few nice things with water access, like shoot back if Oceania starts causing problems for me.
Which seems very likely. They're winning the hellwar.

The Dwarven army has actually vanished! Which means they went north. Messages in the discord claim they got bumped by Lemnos, so that’s funny for me and kind of profitable too. I’m going to start the invasion early, while they’re still trying to pick up the pieces from that little mess.

Full of Hot Chicks, Honest will be leaving Isurian for now, but leaving his garrison behind in case Ramc gets any ideas - while Rumi gets to work building a fort on her own. This’ll take four turns and all of my gold this turn, but it’s worth it!
Oh yes, it’s worth it. Because once I have a lab here I’ll get some very nice mages. The fort is technically optional, but frankly I don’t trust my neighbours enough to not fort this province up.

Water 3 means I can get up to W5 with them, and they can forge some nice items like Bottles of Living Water. You’ve seen water elementals cause me trouble more than once at this point, and having access to them on tap for myself feels like a fantastic idea.
Back at the capital, Marco and Eri are moving out with weapons while Furiosa Wannabe, my newest FCV, is going to swap out on the throne. I want one there every turn to command the infantry, and because having one there will ensure that the PD constantly ticks up to 19. Once the fort is finished I can recruit them there too, and that’s where things will really start to spiral.

Bradley Bunch is summoning the first extra hero I’ve unlocked - Perche. I’ll post her stats next turn, but she’s a fair bit more competent than the main four in exchange for her gem cost and lack of immortality.

And I’m kicking off the war. This is.. Risky. But I see a mage in the Rim Mountains, and scoring a cheap kill on a 150 gold mage feels worth it. My overall strategy in the conflict is basically just to piss him off enough that he goes AI, frankly. I don’t think I can siege down his capital with just my heroes, but I can definitely wipe out his armies in the field and then ruin his day.

Both are scripted to bless, cast some other lovely buff, and then charge at the enemy while shooting. We’ll see if this works out for me!

This is also the turn I learned that the Regular army is apparently very bugged.
I’m not supposed to have actual soldiers from the FCVs. Or in my starting army. Or at all. Too bad though, I’m going to abuse the poo poo out of this.

[13:36] Ramc: 'so on this turn of the lp i found out the modder made a bank error in my favor with my nation'
[13:36] JonJoe: lol
[13:37] gonadic ganymede: this is just further vindication that modders shouldn't play their own nations in realish games
[13:37] gonadic ganymede: because when this happens and it's not you, it's funny
[13:37] gonadic ganymede: when this happens and whoops it's your mod and you won congrats, it's less so

Next time: War. What is it good for? And Construction 5, which is definitely good for something.

And a bonus interlude!

Bonus post: Bump

This was initally it's own thing, but Turn 10 is short enough that I feel it's better to add in here.

This turn had a lot of combat for everyone else. Some of it was intended, some of it… wasn’t. What happens if we peer back the veil and look into other people's turns?

Credit to Ramc and JonJoe for being such good sports and sharing information for this. Most of it was either irrelevant to me or discussed with other parties, but I’m showing it here in all its glory.

This is star peaks, from Ramc’s perspective. You can see both dwarves and cats nearby.

Now Ramc is a perfectly nice and trustworthy man, and was talking to both players.

65 is star peaks. I think you can see where this is going.

Lemnos is relying on ghost tigers and attack rear to kill things, while the dwarves have lots and lots of magic weapons. Dedarag didn’t set any guards for their prophet.

Nature takes its course.
[05:23] j. (villain): the single worst loving luck with expansion I have ever had
05:24] JonJoe: do you keep bumping into other players
[05:24] JonJoe: while benny hill music plays
[05:24] j. (villain): yes
[05:24] j. (villain): this has been the second expansion force I have had wiped out by a bump with a nation i wanted to remain friendly with, AFTER i made a point of arranging not to bump with everyone whom I thought I might bump
[05:25] JonJoe: lol

And what’s the moral of the story?

Always talk to people you’re neighbouring.

All of them. Not just the one you’re friendly with, or they might try to sneak one over on you. If I'd talked to Ramc before saying 'yeah sure' to JonJoe I'd probably have been given advice roughly on par with that image people posted last time I did diplomacy.

Speaking of whom, JonJoe and Ryugo-Joe have been scrapping. Violently. BeardBeard’s sacreds that were supposedly custom-built to gently caress over Oceanian sacreds aren’t really performing up to spec.

13:38] Lukas: Christ
[13:39] Lukas: are the Nu Kuas the sacreds?
[13:39] JonJoe: yes
[13:39] Lukas:
beardbeard — Yesterday at 16:00
its time for the sacreds to dismantle him
[13:39] JonJoe: lol
[13:40] JonJoe: great content. love it.

Fun stuff. Really not looking forward to fighting him if push comes to shove…

On the war front, j (Lemnos) has also claimed to be interested in murdering the dwarves. He’s taking a few turns before joining in, but it’s always nice to have someone back me up. (As always, any emphasis is added in post)

[13:30] Lukas: How did the Dwarves do against your bump?
[15:34] Lukas: Related: do you want to shank some stunties in atrocitwee
[16:39] j.: annoyingly. we each killed the other guy's commander, my combat speed 20+ cats ran away much faster and died more on the retreat
[16:39] j.: because prot doesn't get ruined by fleeing, while attack skill does
[16:40] j.: but i think they would have won overall anyway
[16:40] j.: they're like MA ulm with magic weapons on every unit, and also their units are sacred
[16:40] Lukas: Yeaaah they seem dangerous to most things
But they forgot something important
[16:40] Lukas: air shield
[16:41] j.: true
[16:41] j.: well, not something i can myself exploit, ofc
[16:42] j.: but i think i can make a decent shot at it with: luck + mind burn
[16:42] j.: so uh
[16:42] j.: sure
[16:42] j.: i'd be down to kill dwarves
[16:43] Lukas: Sounds good
I've got stuff prepped to probably die against PD hit him this turn and we'll see how it turns out from there
Hopefully he goes AI after being double teamed post-bump
[16:43] j.: uh, having lost my expansion force in his area it will be a couple more turns before i can commit
[16:44] j.: i need to walk my all my other cats back via my cap
[16:44] j.: and pick up mages
[16:44] j.: but that should be just enough time for him to reorient his troops

He'll be helpful but unreliable, essentially. If he somehow snipes Dedarag's cap we might have to have words, but divvying up the spoils can be sorted after the Dwarves are dead or AI-ed.

Chat Bonus - Butterflies!

[05:16] Ramc: i border other cassia time for confusing borders
[05:16] Baudin: im very confused
[05:17] Baudin: i was actuallly about to move into you
[05:17] Baudin: out of confusion
[05:17] JonJoe: lmao
[05:17] Baudin: look the flags are almost completely the same
[05:17] Baudin: @Ramc WHO IS TO BLAME FOR THIS?!
[05:17] weedzmin: i am between the cassias imagine how confused i am
[05:18] Ramc: the edges are different
[05:18] Ramc: look i do not have topper art technology yet ok
05:19] Arcvasti: honestly a pro move on baudin's part to pick cassia though though
[05:19] Arcvasti: going full viceroy butterfly
[05:19] Baudin: ?!?!?!
[05:19] Baudin: what does that mean
[05:19] Baudin: i picked it for the BEES
[05:19] Baudin: so many connections come on guys BLITZ
[05:20] Arcvasti: monarch butterflies are butterflies that are super poisonous, but another type of butterfly figured out that if they looked like the monarch butterflies then they wouldn't get eaten
[05:20] Ramc: lmao
[05:20] Baudin: lol
[05:20] Arcvasti: in a brutal biology burn the second butterflies are called "viceroy" butterflies
[05:20] Baudin: oh yea thats actually me
[05:20] Baudin: DON'T ATTACK POWERFUL CASSIA (or MA cassia either tia)
[05:20] Ramc: someone invades me thinking it is baudin
[05:20] Ramc: gets an insanely rude surprise
[05:20] Baudin: lol
[05:21] Ramc: 'why is someone sending me mad max 2 gifs'
[05:21] Baudin: someone invades me expecting ramc
[05:21] Baudin: gets pleasant surprise
[05:21] Baudin: its more bees

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I just love Bank Error In Your Favor in these mod games

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

BaronOhgodivefuckeditagain

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
Out of curiosity, were there any bans on vanilla nations for the game? I’m asking since it’s entirely possible the higher power level of modded nations might be enough to handle something like MA Ermor or whatever broken mistakes illwinter made since the last time I paid attention to Dominions 5 seriously
On the other hand, gently caress domkill nations.

LukasR23
Nov 25, 2019

the Orb of Zot posted:

Out of curiosity, were there any bans on vanilla nations for the game? I’m asking since it’s entirely possible the higher power level of modded nations might be enough to handle something like MA Ermor or whatever broken mistakes illwinter made since the last time I paid attention to Dominions 5 seriously
On the other hand, gently caress domkill nations.

The Game Description posted:

Twee. Site density 75. Scoregraphs on. T69 cataclysm timer. Mod nations only. Final Destination.

BeardBeard forgot to set Site Density, Scoregraphs, or T69 Cataclysm. But it's still a modnation only game! No restrictions on the type or power of mods either.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
On one hand, hey, free end game stuff. On the other, if I read that right, the endgame spell that would freespawn them... doesn't. Which might be kinda bad.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

double lol if the big endgame spell starts freespawning the lovely recruits that the FCV is supposed to give you. all that work and you get trash!

(actually, that seems pretty on-brand for Dominions sometimes)

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
I believe by this point I've also had a few fun bumps. Deleting one Mediolania force and one Lemnos force, both bumps entirely accidental.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Ashsaber posted:

On one hand, hey, free end game stuff. On the other, if I read that right, the endgame spell that would freespawn them... doesn't. Which might be kinda bad.

From what I'm reading into what BaronOhShi said? That particular spell either does nothing or isn't even there (it sounds like a scripted spell for which the script is completely absent, not merely a mis-programmed script). Suppose that saves some gems if Lukas found out about that issue early enough!

LukasR23
Nov 25, 2019

CptWedgie posted:

From what I'm reading into what BaronOhShi said? That particular spell either does nothing or isn't even there (it sounds like a scripted spell for which the script is completely absent, not merely a mis-programmed script). Suppose that saves some gems if Lukas found out about that issue early enough!

Unlike some of the unfortunate individuals in this game, I tested my nation to make sure all the key spells worked. Declare Hostilities does have an effect, but I assumed at the time that it only gave gems and Commanders/Mages. The issue is that he forgot to put Dominion summoning on the commanders, and instead left it on the FCV. Declare Hostilities is a scripted that spell that triggers an event flag (and a global) which is... Hacky but works.

That's not to say I didn't have to deal with a few bits of interesting weirdness, but any and all bugs will be discussed when they show up.

PurpleXVI posted:

I believe by this point I've also had a few fun bumps. Deleting one Mediolania force and one Lemnos force, both bumps entirely accidental.

Oh yeah, you did bump Medio this turn! I'd forgotten about that one. Most of what I kept track of was in my diplomatic awareness zone and what JonJoe and Ramc sent me for their own amusement - and now everyone else's.

[09:36] nurpleDCLXVI: Sorry about your prophet and your expansion force, Mediolanum. Because I am a player of virtue I will forgive you for the six Ichor Blessed who will now never see the Distant Prison broken open. RIB(rest in buzz).

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

LukasR23 posted:

BeardBeard forgot to set Site Density, Scoregraphs, or T69 Cataclysm. But it's still a modnation only game! No restrictions on the type or power of mods either.

Then how the hell is Oceania in this game?

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

the Orb of Zot posted:

The base game does not include an LA Oceania.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

LukasR23 posted:

Speaking of whom, JonJoe and Ryugo-Joe have been scrapping. Violently. BeardBeard’s sacreds that were supposedly custom-built to gently caress over Oceanian sacreds aren’t really performing up to spec.

not so much the sacreds aren't performing to spec as jonjoe is Very Good At Dominions and you should assume will script effectively to counter any strategy he can see coming

a very important step on the path to a crown is to get used to who the handful of crazy people who actually understand the game enough to play it well are and to make sure you never ever give them a fair fight

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
JonJoe is vulnerable to morale damage however. A single critical hit can cause uncontrollable AI-ing, even if it's still a winnable war.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

atelier morgan posted:

not so much the sacreds aren't performing to spec as jonjoe is Very Good At Dominions and you should assume will script effectively to counter any strategy he can see coming

lol

No I just bless a big number on my sacreds and push them into the enemy.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Jon Joe posted:

lol

No I just bless a big number on my sacreds and push them into the enemy.

You are basically oceangoing pan, that is an appropriate strategy for your nation

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

AtomikKrab posted:

You are basically oceangoing pan, that is an appropriate strategy for your nation

I do this with every nation.

LukasR23
Nov 25, 2019

the Orb of Zot posted:

LA Oceania is a mod nation that takes inspiration from EA and MA Oceania. It’s not a core nation.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Oh, that makes sense.

I am now imagining how strong MA Ermor would be against something like clowns, feet, rocks, or glitches

Ramc
May 4, 2008

the Orb of Zot posted:

Oh, that makes sense.

I am now imagining how strong MA Ermor would be against something like clowns, feet, rocks, or glitches

with the exception of rocks i feel 'still pretty strong'

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Against specifically rocks: not very. Rocks don't care about the pop loss and can spam earthquake, banish communions, the anti-undead astral spells etc.

It's worth noting that we attempt to keep these mod games as relatively lowish power levels and for example the hellenika community absolutely allow ermor-style popkill nations (although hellenika is specifically EA). Dominions Enhanced allow them too but has events to bring back population when you take their provinces which brings me to my next point:

IMO it's not even about power level, it's that it's incredibly unfun and unrewarding to fight over 0 pop provinces when your troops are constantly starving and costing gold.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

LukasR23 posted:

[09:36] nurpleDCLXVI: Sorry about your prophet and your expansion force, Mediolanum. Because I am a player of virtue I will forgive you for the six Ichor Blessed who will now never see the Distant Prison broken open. RIB(rest in buzz).

I am known for my good gamesmanship and how I would never gloat over a win, as can be seen here.

gonadic io posted:

Dominions Enhanced allow them too but has events to bring back population when you take their provinces which brings me to my next point:

How do those work? Do they just trigger on non-popkill nations owning provinces with very low pop? Because if JBBM adopted something like that, it might be possible to bring the popkills back into the normal rotation more often, without ruining anyone's fun.

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

PurpleXVI posted:

Because if JBBM adopted something like that, it might be possible to bring the popkills back into the normal rotation more often, without ruining anyone's fun.

JBBM does actually do this, at least on a smaller scale. If you have growth >= 1, neutral or positive dominion and you're not a popkill nation then 0 pop provinces will become 100 pop provinces, allowing you to at least put some PD in to resist scout captures.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Arcvasti posted:

JBBM does actually do this, at least on a smaller scale. If you have growth >= 1, neutral or positive dominion and you're not a popkill nation then 0 pop provinces will become 100 pop provinces, allowing you to at least put some PD in to resist scout captures.

Still doesn't make MA Ermor any more fun to fight against.

LukasR23
Nov 25, 2019

atelier morgan posted:

a very important step on the path to a crown is to get used to who the handful of crazy people who actually understand the game enough to play it well are and to make sure you never ever give them a fair fight

Ah yes, the legendary scripts of "Divine Blessing -> Hold Hold Hold Hold -> Spells" and "Attack".

In all seriousness JonJoe is someone I would class as Very Good At Dominions but not out of any scripting wizardry (not that I doubt he has said skills). He's just very good at doing very scary blesses in a fairly scary way that a lot of people aren't prepared for. At one point on the discord he set up a meme game that was just people being forced to play with his builds and.. as far as I can tell it's going fairly messily for everyone involved.

I was in that game but went AI when I got my rear end kicked by J and Baudin. I'm not holding a grudge... as far as they know, anyway.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

JonJoe is pretty good. We had a pretty memorable long running dustup where his LA Pan fought my jojo bizzare adventure themed LA Ulm (vampire queen specced to cast time stop eventually) and it was good times. v brutal all around

BaronOhShi
Jun 30, 2019
I at least have a half decent explanation for this mix-up. Originally the Regular Army did not have the spell Declare Hostilities, you were simply supposed to build up endless amounts of commandos and metal slugs and probably die horribly. It was not really meant to be played. A while after I had somewhat moved on, I found out to my horror that someone was actually playing the nation and rushed to try give them Some means of fighting back in the endgame.

Now, I actually had/have to variants of the mod file, One I actively worked on, and then the one in the game folder. Sometimes while testing I would chuck a quick fix in the game folder file because im lazy. Unfortunately this meant I could sometimes get kinda mixed up on what file was open in the editor because, of course, they were named the same.

In my haste to save a soul I started adding the spell, new units for it to spawn, new heroes, I changed the soldiers to recruits and added professional soldiers over the course of a couple of day. And then Unfortunately I realised Id made a mistake and done separate work on each individual mod file. Obviously since I didnt notice the totality of my gently caress up till now, I probably did not unify the mod files in a way that ensured it had the most up-to-date info. I wonder if I just assumed that one file was more up-to-date and used that. I do most of my work at 1am onwards in my defense.

IT firms please hire me

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Name/post combo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Mods are text files, right? Why not just keep them in git?