Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

tsob posted:

You're also forgetting that the entire point of the show is "can Loki be more than what all Loki's define themselves as?".

And you're also forgetting that if the entire point of the show is 'Lokis can be more than what they define themselves as' then what better way to stick a thumb in the eye of the universe and its 'Loki's are doomed to fail' narrative than by becoming Master of All Time. Always and deciding what the narrative of the universe should be for everyone in it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Argue posted:

The founder of the TVA is Deke, in an attempt to get back to the one true timeline

This would be the absolute best "never going to happen, but could be theoretically plausible if they wanted to be totally insane and alienating to viewers" scenario.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I just want to see a sitcom of all Lokis now.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Why does this thread have so many things that I didn't know I wanted, now desperately do, and will never have :smith:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It would make too much sense if the ‘man behind the curtain’ was Immortus, so they will probably chicken out and have it be another version of Ravonna or something. It does seem like they are setting up another Ravonna/Sylvie showdown.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

FlamingLiberal posted:

It would make too much sense if the ‘man behind the curtain’ was Immortus, so they will probably chicken out and have it be another version of Ravonna or something. It does seem like they are setting up another Ravonna/Sylvie showdown.

Whoever the Big Bad is, it will almost kill Loki and Sylvie, and then Ravonna will pop in to save the day.

The Big Bad is probably Howard the Duck.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I have a vague suspicion the series will end on a cliffhanger and ultimately things won’t get fully resolved.

Like, post final battle, Mobius suddenly appears and is all ‘It’s your kids, Loki! Something’s gotta be done about your kids!”

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Sentinel Red posted:

And you're also forgetting that if the entire point of the show is 'Lokis can be more than what they define themselves as' then what better way to stick a thumb in the eye of the universe and its 'Loki's are doomed to fail' narrative than by becoming Master of All Time. Always and deciding what the narrative of the universe should be for everyone in it?

I'm torn because I instinctively don't like the idea of 'it was Loki all along', but it would also be a decent wrap back around to 'Loki's unhappiness is caused by him self-sabotaging' if he was literally self-sabotaging.

But 'our' Loki has already had that character growth and doesn't need the lesson again. It also wouldn't make sense for a master Loki to enforce a timeline where Loki has to die to Thanos. They would want a single timeline which is just them coming to power.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Argue posted:

The founder of the TVA is Deke, in an attempt to get back to the one true timeline

Finally they can pay off the anti-Chronicom gate that is part of processing as well! Brilliant idea.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Okay, let me suggest a name no one's brought forward yet for who's behind it all - Sylvie.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Okay, let me suggest a name no one brought forward yet for who's behind it all - Sylvie.
I wouldn’t rule it out. There’s still a lot of mystery around her.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Mysteries that still need solving, and will most likely be part of the last episode:

- What was Sylvie's nexus event?
- How did Loki and Sylvie create a nexus event even though they were in an apocalypse?
- Who created the TVA, and why?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

It was Agatha all along.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Mike the TV posted:

- How did Loki and Sylvie create a nexus event even though they were in an apocalypse?

They smooched

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Mike the TV posted:

Mysteries that still need solving, and will most likely be part of the last episode:

My theory is the nexus event wasn't just "they were gonna kiss" but instead Loki/Sylvie genuinely trusting somebody, allowing themselves to finally stop being alone. Loki has spent his whole life as the outcast, which gets highlighted by all the variants in episode 5 betraying each other. If Loki would actually be able to stop his pattern of distrusting/betraying literally everybody, it would be such a fundamental change of character compared to literally every other Loki variant out there in the sacred timeline.

As for who is behind it all, it makes sense to me that it is a Loki variant who won. They finally got to rule over an entire timeline, and it has left them the same as it always goes for Loki—alone. They killed the Time Keepers, they gained absolute control over the world, they have their grand castle at the end of time, and they are bitter and resentful that even ruling over time itself doesn't give them family. This gets turned inward through the TVA as a means of eliminating any Loki variants, for one reason being that only a Loki could figure out how to reach and stop this Loki Prime, and also so that the One True Loki is this Loki Prime.

It also lines up with how Sylvie and Loki figured out how to hide in apocalypses. Loki Prime would have figured out if you can hide in a timeline with an apocalypse, why not hide at the one, true, inevitable capital-A Apocalypse?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Mike the TV posted:

Whoever the Big Bad is, it will almost kill Loki and Sylvie, and then Ravonna will pop in to save the day.

Nah, I think Ravonna already had her moment of "will she help or not" this episode, and she came down on trying to ice Sylvie even if they're ultimately looking for the same thing. I think it's more likely Kid Loki and Alligator Loki jump in to save them at some point.

The_Doctor posted:

I have a vague suspicion the series will end on a cliffhanger and ultimately things won’t get fully resolved.

Like, post final battle, Mobius suddenly appears and is all ‘It’s your kids, Loki! Something’s gotta be done about your kids!”

I imagine with the way this episode ended that the second season is about helping Mobius burn the TVA to the ground and put all the drones filling it that are left back where they belong (or where they're happy, I guess, since that might be different). I do think the final episode will do some setup for that, with Mobius freeing Hunter B-15 before facing off with Ravonna or something, but I don't think it'll be the focus of the episode, and it seems like dismantling such a huge organization is way too big a story to just tack away in a "and then it all happened offscreen" way as a neat epilogue. So I think we'll mostly focus on Loki and Sylvie finding the man behind the curtain, with a bit of setup about events in the TVA but next season will be them trying to undermine or dismantle it while the TVA tries it's best to put some kind of lid on the new multiverse.

thecluckmeme posted:

As for who is behind it all, it makes sense to me that it is a Loki variant who won. They finally got to rule over an entire timeline, and it has left them the same as it always goes for Loki—alone. They killed the Time Keepers, they gained absolute control over the world, they have their grand castle at the end of time, and they are bitter and resentful that even ruling over time itself doesn't give them family.

I think Loki already kind of faced all that this episode honestly, since Kid Loki did the thing Loki was kind of trying all along, and gained nothing from it. Not even just that he got pruned, but he doesn't seem any happier regardless in having done that at some point. Old Loki talking about missing his brother kind of rubbed in the difference in what Loki used to be like and what even a win would eventually entail; if he did kill Thor, eventually he'd just miss him.

tsob fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jul 8, 2021

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Mike the TV posted:

I'm also curious about what happened to C20. We never saw what happened to her and our only source is a proven liar.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

FlamingLiberal posted:

I wouldn’t rule it out. There’s still a lot of mystery around her.

I guarantee Sylvie is going to turn on Loki, because she's the Lokiest one of them all

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

live with fruit posted:

I'm also curious about what happened to C20. We never saw what happened to her and our only source is a proven liar.

I imagine she & B-15 will be helping Mobius

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

CornHolio posted:

I guarantee Sylvie is going to turn on Loki, because she's the Lokiest one of them all

One of them will have to prove they can change to the other. Stop the betrayal cycle. That's the only way this ends.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Based on the source material, I hope we get an army of Mobiuses and at least one of them say "wow."

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

tsob posted:

I imagine with the way this episode ended that the second season is about helping Mobius burn the TVA to the ground and put all the drones filling it that are left back where they belong (or where they're happy, I guess, since that might be different). I do think the final episode will do some setup for that, with Mobius freeing Hunter B-15 before facing off with Ravonna or something, but I don't think it'll be the focus of the episode, and it seems like dismantling such a huge organization is way too big a story to just tack away in a "and then it all happened offscreen" way as a neat epilogue. So I think we'll mostly focus on Loki and Sylvie finding the man behind the curtain, with a bit of setup about events in the TVA but next season will be them trying to undermine or dismantle it while the TVA tries it's best to put some kind of lid on the new multiverse.

If I was a betting man I would say this season will end with the multiverse reestablished and the TVA's role inverted into protecting the multiverse rather than pruning it. This allows for a setup like Agents Of SHIELD where Loki can continue to do MCU-adjacent stuff without having to undo an important death in the "prime" universe. There's also no way to "burn down" the TVA without hurting a lot of people who were ripped from their lives unfairly.

I think season 2 will jump off of some plot point from the next round of MCU films, particularly Dr. Strange.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Doesn't our Loki say something about Sylvie being the only Loki who wants to bring down the TVA instead of take it over? That could imply that there's a Loki at the end of things. Plus, there's a clip from the trailer of (a) Loki in a throne room that we haven't seen yet.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

live with fruit posted:

Doesn't our Loki say something about Sylvie being the only Loki who wants to bring down the TVA instead of take it over? That could imply that there's a Loki at the end of things. Plus, there's a clip from the trailer of (a) Loki in a throne room that we haven't seen yet.

There's also the scene of TVA Loki going through some weird purplish hallway and doorway. And the Loki in the throne seems to be welcoming someone. I guess he is located in that shiny dome the castle has

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It most certainly is going to be the most boring ending cause every show they’ve aired has had mostly anti-climatic endings. So whatever you think is the most boring safe thing to do is what they will do.

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew

Mike the TV posted:

-maybe she was happy, as the daughter of odin life might have been easier
-you are probably not suppose to meet your own variant let alone fall in love with one
-probably Immortus, only to find him dead killed by Kang

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Invalid Validation posted:

It most certainly is going to be the most boring ending cause every show they’ve aired has had mostly anti-climatic endings. So whatever you think is the most boring safe thing to do is what they will do.

Old Loki was pretending to be the hat.
Sylvie flies off to her home planet.
They give mean lady McGreatActress a chance to be nice and she rejects it and dies (the former part may have already happened, but these shows can't resist jumping on these points).

UhhhWunmi Masako gets nothing to do, but survives and promises to help make the Time Agency good!

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

We got a date for What If...:
https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1413165993753411589?s=19

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Alchenar posted:

That's not my interpretation - my interpretation is that he survived because after hiding from Thanos he made sure he had literally no impact on anything, so there was no way for the TVA to trace him. He got pruned for not dying to Thanos, he survived for lso long because he was undetectable..

e: Ps. half the spoiler tags on this page aren't actually spoilers.

Yea it's entirely this. He fits what we've been told perfectly. He lived his life, then he hid like sylvie hid in Apocalypses.
It's alligator, sylvie and boastful that don't.

Either there's one timeline and any variation from it means pruning OR there's loads that all lead to the same place. And it's fine with either but the second isn't really how they've pitched it and the second could still lead to a multiverse war surely?

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

If this were the comics the real Renslayer would be in the castle and ours would find her way there and somehow the "real" Renslayer would get killed and ours would take her place.

Also somehow kid Loki would end up on the regular timeline.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Darth Brooks posted:

Also somehow kid Loki would end up on the regular timeline.

Pretty sure that's going to happen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young_Avengers

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Not so hot on the animation style still, and I'm getting the feel of "screen actors not being comfortable with voice acting" from some of the performances in the trailer. Stark sounds off to me, assuming that is RDJ, which I think it is. Isn't part of the deal with this that they got all or most the actual actors for this?

Still, looking forward to it.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Lum_ posted:

Pretty sure that's going to happen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young_Avengers

Well I hope he conjours up a few acting lessons before that happens.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Veotax posted:

Not so hot on the animation style still, and I'm getting the feel of "screen actors not being comfortable with voice acting" from some of the performances in the trailer. Stark sounds off to me, assuming that is RDJ, which I think it is. Isn't part of the deal with this that they got all or most the actual actors for this?

Yeah, the style looks good in stills or FX shots, but in motion it's pretty stilted, especially in the acting. Very similar to the Dragon Prince. Looking forward to the fun stories and possibly whatever wrapper they're putting over the whole thing.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Once again, I’m going to cry for Chadwick Boseman‘s final performance as T’Challa. :smith:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
lmao best friends forever

https://i.imgur.com/fqCPJh8.mp4

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Once again, I’m going to cry for Chadwick Boseman‘s final performance as T’Challa. :smith:

big same

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Veotax posted:

They got a lot of the original actors but a couple big names like RDJ, ScarJo, and Chris Evans are missing

https://collider.com/marvels-what-if-announces-massive-voice-cast-of-mcu-stars-jeffrey-wright-as-the-watcher/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm pretty sure they made another announcement after that where they mentioned they did have them, though? Or am I just losing my mind?