Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I really enjoyed Destiny PvP and was disappointed as hell when Destiny 2 launched and they tried to be more serious by dropping the player count down to 4v4 and slowing the pace of gameplay,. It sucked and even though they brought back 6v6 it never recovered. After removing huge chunks of content from the game (including about a third of PvP maps) they still haven't added a single new PvP map in what feels like years.

Destiny multiplayer was best when Bungie embraced the chaos of it being a bunch of space wizards loving each other up for fun. A lot of stuff was broken and unbalanced but it was chaotic and enjoyable, it hit the same spot Modern Warfare 2's multiplayer hit - everything was broken and overpowered so it basically leveled out and worked.

The whole thing fell apart when they tried to tone everything down and be more competitive and serious. Twitch streamers loved it briefly because Bungie did what they said, until they realized their ideas sucked and abandoned the game to stream other stuff. Ever since all Bungie has done is change PvP back to 6v6 because the playerbase begged constantly and now acts like the mode doesn't exist. They had something great but they ruined it by listening to streamers and trying to chase eSports.

Destiny is at its best when everything is dialed to 11 and utterly chaotic, unfortunately Bungie does not realize this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

incorporeal posted:

Ive been out of the multiplayer loop for a few years now. What non BR game is popular these days?

There's also a top 40 list of the most played Xbox games for the week here: https://www.trueachievements.com/n46203/xbox-gameplay-chart and almost all of them have some form of multiplayer. ;)

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Destiny’s “you will be furnished one (1) grenade” approach to powers has always baffled me. Let me use the chaotic space magic, Bungie.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Destiny 2 is the least fun I’ve ever had playing a co-op shooter with friends. It blows my mind people play it non-stop and buy expansions for it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I was a hardcore Bungie homer from like 2001-2014 and I can’t even be bothered to play the new Destiny expansions. That game is pretty, but it’s just utterly soulless. I haven’t kept up with the internal goings-on since they sued Marty and left Activision, but it feels like everyone who made that studio great in the early 00s either took a position completely removed from actual development or left entirely.

It wouldn’t be so bad if 343 was a competent successor, but everything they’ve done has been average at best.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

When the stars align in Destiny it's stupidly fun, but that is a very rare occurrence to the point of never really happening any more. I'm glad 343 is taking the opposite approach to Halo Infinite multiplayer with what they showed, it looks awesome and they seem to have made some great additions to the sandbox and have a philosophy of "Give players all the toys and let them have fun" which is sadly not a very common design philosophy in video games nowadays.

Halo & Gears are still solid multiplayer games that have the right focus. I'd say the same of Overwatch but the sequel looks to be pulling a Bungie which I hope they change their minds about because all the new maps etc. look great.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I haven’t kept up with the internal goings-on since they sued Marty and left Activision, but it feels like everyone who made that studio great in the early 00s either took a position completely removed from actual development or left entirely.

Some key Bungie folk left and joined 343 as far as I know, and even back when Bungie went independent a chunk of the studio stayed with Microsoft to be part of 343. At least Bungie finally moved Luke Smith away from calling the shots for Destiny 2 but that guy really did some damage to the game when he took the reigns that they will never be able to recover from. That one-two punch of removing infusion to bring back stupid amounts of grinding and gutting the game of huge chunks of content to stuff into the 'Destiny Content Vault' really messed things up.

SUNKOS fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jul 7, 2021

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Fanatic posted:

There's also a top 40 list of the most played Xbox games for the week here: https://www.trueachievements.com/n46203/xbox-gameplay-chart and almost all of them have some form of multiplayer. ;)

Wow, Rainbow Six Siege in at #10, beating Roblox and FIFA 21. That game is like 30 years old.

Then again, GTAV is about a year older and still way up there. The longevity of that game (and how drat good it still looks today, for a 7 year old game) is starting to blow my mind.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Fanatic posted:

Some games on there more than once? Looks like Windows vs. Xbox versions?

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

FunOne posted:

Some games on there more than once? Looks like Windows vs. Xbox versions?

Yeah so seperate achievement lists have seperate entries. So the two Minecrafts are the Xbox vs Windows 10 versions, whereas the two FIFA 21's are the Xbone vs the Series X|S versions.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
fondly looking back on joining D1 clash games with the MIDA Multi-tool and fighting with 11 other people also all using the MIDA Multi-tool. what a poo poo game. still had fun at the time tho tbh

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Whattup thread I just bought a Series S to replace my Xbox SAD and I am enjoying how it doesn’t take several seconds to move between menus and doesn’t sound like it’s dying from fan noise.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I have been thinking about playing Destiny 2 again, but it would only be for the PvE matchmaking content. The PvP is really unbalanced and unfair. It feels like Bungie doesn't care that it is and has no intention of ever balancing that aspect of the game.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

I said come in! posted:

I have been thinking about playing Destiny 2 again, but it would only be for the PvE matchmaking content. The PvP is really unbalanced and unfair. It feels like Bungie doesn't care that it is and has no intention of ever balancing that aspect of the game.

? I play PvP exclusively and it’s pretty balanced. :shrug:

meta²
Sep 11, 2001

What the flip was Grandma doing at the dunes?

Curious if anyone has got the Xbox Series S controller to work with their iPad on xcloud?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

univbee posted:

Guilty Gear Strive is also on PS4 and PS5.

Also a really good fighting game with great rollback netcode. Only game I’ve been playing for weeks

For an actual Xbox game I’ve been playing PSO2. It’s not good

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I always wonder with GG strive and small JP fgs how much theyre getting paid for PS exclusivity... It's so niche it can't be much. I wish Xbox would try to compete there and also make a new KI but it doesnt seem to be a priority

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Seltzer posted:

I always wonder with GG strive and small JP fgs how much theyre getting paid for PS exclusivity... It's so niche it can't be much. I wish Xbox would try to compete there and also make a new KI but it doesnt seem to be a priority

I don’t think it’s about getting paid for exclusivity, but about limiting how many versions you have to maintain and support. Especially since fighting game competitions are heavily streamlined so every competitive fighting game is played on ps4 if it’s an in-person tournament. EVO is actually doing some ps4/ps5 cross-play and even PC for Tekken since it’s online.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

DoomTrainPhD posted:

? I play PvP exclusively and it’s pretty balanced. :shrug:

Please, no trolling in the xbox thread.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

meta² posted:

Curious if anyone has got the Xbox Series S controller to work with their iPad on xcloud?

The Series S controller is functionally identical to the Series X controller, right? I’ve done it with an X.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

For an actual Xbox game I’ve been playing PSO2. It’s not good

I was really addicted to PSO2 until New Genesis came out and ruined everything I liked about it, and then made the original game really unoptimized and broken.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

univbee posted:

I don’t think it’s about getting paid for exclusivity, but about limiting how many versions you have to maintain and support. Especially since fighting game competitions are heavily streamlined so every competitive fighting game is played on ps4 if it’s an in-person tournament. EVO is actually doing some ps4/ps5 cross-play and even PC for Tekken since it’s online.

Sony also owns Evo, which explains why they always use the Playstation versions.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

njsykora posted:

Sony also owns Evo, which explains why they always use the Playstation versions.

That’s so recent there hasn’t even been an EVO event since Sony’s ownership was finalized. And this is less PlayStation-oriented than past years, with Tekken being played on PC.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Does the Series S like work magic on 360 games? In addition to Splinter Cell Chaos Theory, I got Splinter Cell Conviction (one of my favorites) and this seriously looks way better than a 2010 game should.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rageaholic posted:

Does the Series S like work magic on 360 games? In addition to Splinter Cell Chaos Theory, I got Splinter Cell Conviction (one of my favorites) and this seriously looks way better than a 2010 game should.

Plays them at max 1440p

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Plays them at max 1440p
Hell yeah. I love this little box.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Fanatic posted:

This is a cool list, but it's not accurate.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/most-played/games/xbox is the most played list, officially.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
https://twitter.com/xbox/status/1412939492810321920?s=21

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
Oh man I thought this was Dark Souls one and it was actually going to be playable now

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

MJBuddy posted:

This is a cool list, but it's not accurate.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/most-played/games/xbox is the most played list, officially.

Seems like that list is region based though, as the US list seems different from my local AU list. The chart I posted is data from 2 million global Xbox/Win10 users so I think it's more accurate if you're after non-region based figures.

Either way the games are virtually the same, just ordered a bit differently. :shrug:

Edit: unlike the US, in my region the big US sports games like Madden, NHL and The Show are non-existent in the top 50 according to the Microsoft store list :v: we do like NBA 2K21 though apparently.

Fanatic fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jul 8, 2021

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Why isn’t Gears 5 more popular? I just picked up a Series X and am catching up on Xbox franchises I haven’t touched in a decade. Gears 5 seems very polished and well made, but it’s way at the bottom of the most played games list?

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Is there a certain headset that I should be suing with my Series X? My go to with my PS5 was the Gold headset but not sure if it works or if I would be missing out on "3D Audio."

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

There's a list of supported headphones in the DTS Sound Unbound app if you want to use software tuning (and the Xbox Wireless Headset isn't on it, lol), for 3D audio anything will work

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

loudog999 posted:

Is there a certain headset that I should be suing with my Series X? My go to with my PS5 was the Gold headset but not sure if it works or if I would be missing out on "3D Audio."

I am quite enjoying my official xbox series x headset.
I had to have a quite blunt conversation with my 8 year old that he is not allowed to touch it without direct supervision.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

MJBuddy posted:

Oh man I thought this was Dark Souls one and it was actually going to be playable now

???? Dark Souls is 60fps on Xbox

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Yeah, but it's still Dark Souls *rimshot*

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

loudog999 posted:

I'm using Astro A40s I bought for 360 about 10 years ago plugged into a plantronics Rig adapter on my controller.

Fake edit: this is to say anything good works.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

loudog999 posted:

I plug my Pulse 3Ds into the Xbox controller.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
I was looking for wireless headphones that would work on both consoles and it sounded like the Steelseries 7X was the best one to cover both, but I haven't pulled the trigger on it yet.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Knightmare posted:

I was looking for wireless headphones that would work on both consoles and it sounded like the Steelseries 7X was the best one to cover both, but I haven't pulled the trigger on it yet.

I think some of the Astros are the same way, you just need to buy the adapter for the other console. Personally, I doubt I'll buy another set of SteelSeries headphones after the Arctis 7's I currently have break. They feel exceptionally cheap for $150 headphones made mostly of metal.

The Diddler fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jul 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

The Remastered version on Xbox One, sure, but not the original 360 version that's backwards compatible!