Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Strife posted:

"The Russians used a pencil."

This is what I use as well. Works fine, but I don't keep it on my keys because 3 bikes, two of which use keyless fobs, and I can never find it in my pocket with gloves on.

I hooked a "smart wireless home controller" up to the opener on the garage I keep my bikes in that lets me open the door with my phone, but something with the way my Cardo comms unit works with the Google assistant breaks using voice commands to open or shut the garage door so the fob opener thing ends up being less hassle. Also, the CCP knows when I leave the house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Jazzzzz posted:

This is what I use as well. Works fine, but I don't keep it on my keys because 3 bikes, two of which use keyless fobs, and I can never find it in my pocket with gloves on.

I hooked a "smart wireless home controller" up to the opener on the garage I keep my bikes in that lets me open the door with my phone, but something with the way my Cardo comms unit works with the Google assistant breaks using voice commands to open or shut the garage door so the fob opener thing ends up being less hassle. Also, the CCP knows when I leave the house.

Well that's not the only threat:

https://www.cnet.com/news/garadget-bricks-smart-garage-door-opener-after-bad-review-iot/

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I just took a regular keyfob garage door opener, spliced a wire into its button and velcroed it to the back of my dash cluster, attached the wires toa flushmount discrete button that I drilled into my plastic cockpit.

I would have left it on my keychain except it was bouncing around and leaving annoying little scratches on the plastic ignition slot surround. No big deal.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

I'm less concerned about someone bricking my $20 IoT garage door opener trigger - which wouldn't keep the opener itself from working - than I am with them using it to piggy-back into everything else that connects to my wireless network. Welcome to the internet of things, indeed

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I cut mine down to a one step process, imagine I posted a pic of my garage door remote unceremoniously chucked into my fairing pocket

Also, the 83 is a 6 speed?? My 86 is a 5 speed, although weirdly, even though it displays each gear number on the digital dash, 5th isn’t just “5” like the rest of the gears are represented, it’s “OD”

What a strange time in transmission land where every vehicle was “actual gears-1, plus overdrive”

My first car was an automatic “two speed with overdrive” lmao

OD in an automatic is a specific thing, it's adding gears on top of the three available through the planetary set every auto has by means of an extra gear set or even a whole additional transmission housing. So yeah it's functionally a 3 speed but in reality is a 2sp + 1 supplementary gear. Like how the hi-lo box on a 4wd doesn't make it a 10 speed even though that's the number of ratios available.

In manuals and bikes yeah, it's just another gear, but I think the OD light is more a Harley-adjacent thing of the time, in that big crude air cooled bikes usually have 1:1 top gear (in Harleys this is fourth still), so fifth or sixth will be overdriven ie longer than 1:1 ratio. This only becomes possible when engine performance gets above a certain level so it's kind of like a little brag - my motor is so grunty and cool-running I can afford to under-spin it on the motorway for comfort and convenience.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Man Ryan making me want a Harley. I do love how he made his look

https://youtu.be/XeuXShFIgyc

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
If anyone could sell me on a Harley it’s him.

Guess I know for certain now that I’ll never want one.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

So I did about 500 miles on the weekend in the Highlands of Scotland.

Here are some random points about the ride:

1. I had the heated grips on 100% of the time.
2. I had my proper first loss of traction on the back wheel on Fat Bob; there was a bit where the speed limit was changing from 30 to 60, and at the point where it was changing I opened up the throttle, not realising I was on some wet, white paint and all I heard was "vrooooom" and the backwheel sort of fishtailing and then it got traction again and I was fine. A bit scary. Glad I didn't bin it.
3. The roads are lovely for riding up there, particularly the A95 along the single malt whisky trail.
4. Waved at least 50 other bikers over 2 days, i.e. lots of people out and about riding, even if it was a bit wet this weekend.
5. When the sun came out, the riding was absolutely glorious; epic scenery and just perfect roads.
6. 500 miles on Bob results in my right wrist hurting a bit; vibrations possibly. Cruise control really helps for long stretches.
7. I really want to do those roads on the LiveWire.
8. I've spent £200 on petrol for Bob in the last 30 days. WTF. I did the math, electricity would work out to a fifth or a tenth of the price per mile travelled compared to petrol, depending on what time of day I was charging an electric bike up.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Rolo posted:

I had this exact thought.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Steakandchips posted:

2. I had my proper first loss of traction on the back wheel on Fat Bob; there was a bit where the speed limit was changing from 30 to 60, and at the point where it was changing I opened up the throttle, not realising I was on some wet, white paint and all I heard was "vrooooom" and the backwheel sort of fishtailing and then it got traction again and I was fine. A bit scary. Glad I didn't bin it.

I had this happen a couple of times on my Sportster when I started riding. I was surprised to find how not really out of control it felt to have the back end sliding like that. Maybe it's just me hitting that chaos clarity where I know panicking won't help, so my mind just goes clear on how to handle the situation. The touring bikes have (optional) traction control to help with that; maybe they'll eventually port it down to the other bikes.

Steakandchips posted:

8. I've spent £200 on petrol for Bob in the last 30 days. WTF. I did the math, electricity would work out to a fifth or a tenth of the price per mile travelled compared to petrol, depending on what time of day I was charging an electric bike up.

Now that the Livewire is 10k cheaper it makes more sense, but I always worry about the amount of time it takes to fill up a gas tank versus charge a motorcycle. Once manufacturers can get their poo poo together and come up with swappable batteries the electric motorcycle revolution will be upon us.

Those photos of Scotland you posted in the riding thread are gorgeous. We should have like a riding journal megathread where folks just post pics of bikes in great scenery. I guess that's the pics thread though.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Strife posted:

Now that the Livewire is 10k cheaper it makes more sense

the "new" Livewire is about 7k cheaper in the US before tax credit, but it also won't be sold or serviced by Harley dealers. There are Livewire dealers in 3 states in the US right now, and they won't ship you a bike:

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/harleys-livewire-spinoff-reveals-first-product-the-21999-livewire-one posted:

LiveWire currently has stores in California, Texas and New York. They will not ship motorcycles beyond 50 miles from a store and their store locator won't show any results at all if you are more than 150 miles away.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Wow sounds like a recipe for success.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I'll likely get a Harley branded LiveWire shortly, in orange. Barely touched 2020 demo models going for £24,000.

£2k more than a LiveWire branded LiveWire I'd imagine, which is fine by me if it means no pains in the rear end servicing the sodding thing.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Strife posted:

I had this happen a couple of times on my Sportster when I started riding. I was surprised to find how not really out of control it felt to have the back end sliding like that. Maybe it's just me hitting that chaos clarity where I know panicking won't help, so my mind just goes clear on how to handle the situation. The touring bikes have (optional) traction control to help with that; maybe they'll eventually port it down to the other bikes.

Now that the Livewire is 10k cheaper it makes more sense, but I always worry about the amount of time it takes to fill up a gas tank versus charge a motorcycle. Once manufacturers can get their poo poo together and come up with swappable batteries the electric motorcycle revolution will be upon us.

Those photos of Scotland you posted in the riding thread are gorgeous. We should have like a riding journal megathread where folks just post pics of bikes in great scenery. I guess that's the pics thread though.

If TC was an option I could purchase for Bob, I would...

Filling up the LiveWire is either slow as balls (AC, overnight) or quick enough (DC, 40 minutes 0 to 80%, 1 hour 0 to 100%) which is totally fine in my book.

Mate, the scenery up in the Highlands is excellent. I have so much GoPro footage... I should see if I can find some good stills from it.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Strife posted:

I don’t think battery swaps will ever be a thing but fast charging times should come down fast enough to moot them anyway.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jazzzzz posted:

the "new" Livewire is about 7k cheaper in the US before tax credit, but it also won't be sold or serviced by Harley dealers. There are Livewire dealers in 3 states in the US right now, and they won't ship you a bike:

Cool yes this is definitely a thing you do with a bike and a brand you plan to keep around for a long time.

Harley what the gently caress. Just loving build and sell the drat things and quit loving around with all this extraneous poo poo.

Ughhhh

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Jazzzzz posted:

The digital equivalent of putting them under the stairs at the back of the showroom. Also the sides of the stairs are boarded up so you can't see under them.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I wanted to swap the fixed footpegs on my new rearsets for a folding pair and fell into the "it's C&C'd aluminum, how bad could a generic Chinese part be?" trap.

Nice to see they positioned the hole so there's like 1mm of metal holding back like a 100lb spring. Next time remind me to just throw $30 directly into the trash and save myself the shipping time.

I don't know what the spring is rated but it's very strong

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Strife posted:

Being able to controllably slide a big bike with relatively basic suspension is part of the Harley magic I keep banging on about, it's nowhere near as easy or fun on a normal bike. I have never attempted it on a bagger but I have no doubt it works just like a dyna or sporty in that regard.

Martytoof posted:

I wanted to swap the fixed footpegs on my new rearsets for a folding pair and fell into the "it's C&C'd aluminum, how bad could a generic Chinese part be?" trap.

Nice to see they positioned the hole so there's like 1mm of metal holding back like a 100lb spring. Next time remind me to just throw $30 directly into the trash and save myself the shipping time.

I don't know what the spring is rated but it's very strong

The finest grade chinesium. My rule of thumb is not to ali express anything that holds fuel, critical electricity, weight or power.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Didn't know about the origins of the Fat Boy name. Jfc wtf

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Slavvy posted:

The finest grade chinesium. My rule of thumb is not to ali express anything that holds fuel, critical electricity, weight or power.

I was mentally prepared for this being garbage but held out hope that maybe I found the one cheap importer that didn't make garbage. What's funny is that if they had drilled the hole like half a cm inwards I think it would probably have been fine? It's not even skimping here, just no thought put into the part.

Who am I kidding, the aluminum is probably lowest grade soda-can aluminum.

This was an Amazon special but your point still stands.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

busalover posted:

No poo poo. :stare: What a bizarre name for them to keep.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Cool yes this is definitely a thing you do with a bike and a brand you plan to keep around for a long time.

Harley what the gently caress. Just loving build and sell the drat things and quit loving around with all this extraneous poo poo.

Ughhhh

When the Pan America was first announced, I asked a couple of dealerships if they were going to get them, and the response was basically "lol, no, but we'll order them if anyone asks." Those same places now have a constant demo unit because so many goddamn people asked them about it. Happy to see the Pan America is apparently doing well, even if dealerships don't know how to deal with anything that's not a black Street Glide.

Edit: Pan America, not Panamerica. My buddy drives a Panamera so I always get the names hosed up.

Strife fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jul 12, 2021

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

busalover posted:

Snopes claims that's false, fwiw: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/fat-boy/

Some quick googling brought up some supporting claims, like this one quoting Harley's official historian during the 90s and 2000s, that the name was meant to be descriptive of the bike's girthiness"massive presence".

That sounds remarkably corporate to me, in the vein of other winkingly applied names with officially non-humorous explanations behind them. I suspect that "Fat Boy" might have been brainstormed, behind closed doors, for exactly the purported reasoning, but it worked well enough on its own that anyone present was told to shut the gently caress up forever about atomic bombs.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

busalover posted:

Wikipedia posted:

The name is said to come from the bike's "massive presence.”

What am I missing?

E- I guess it could be a nudge nudge wink wink like KTM still selling WP suspension, but even still. It's a loving fatass of a bike. Fat like a particularly fat bomb? I guess if you're into that kind of thing.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jul 12, 2021

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Finger Prince posted:

What am I missing?

E- I guess it could be a nudge nudge wink wink like KTM still selling WP suspension, but even still. It's a loving fatass of a bike. Fat like a particularly fat bomb? I guess if you're into that kind of thing.

Fat Man and Little Boy were the code names for the nukes dropped on Japan. Thus the name Fat Boy is a bit on the nose if that's where the name came from.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Ryan's story is a bit off timing wise, as the heyday of protectionism was a bit earlier than 1990. But I guess that doesn't exclude gung-ho executives dreaming that up later, perhaps that would be more likely actually. Another possible counter argument: Harley's entire naming convention makes as much sense as partially decrypted British special operations.

GJSDTHE¤Y GOLD RHUBARB GLIDE
FXZXVCZD DYNA EEL FOX
GNSOGTNSTIWT HUBBA BUBBA GLIDE SPECIAL GLIDE CUSTOM GLIDE DID I MENTION GLIDE SCREAMING PIGEON

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Phy posted:

Snopes claims that's false, fwiw: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/fat-boy/

Some quick googling brought up some supporting claims, like this one quoting Harley's official historian during the 90s and 2000s, that the name was meant to be descriptive of the bike's girthiness"massive presence".

That sounds remarkably corporate to me, in the vein of other winkingly applied names with officially non-humorous explanations behind them. I suspect that "Fat Boy" might have been brainstormed, behind closed doors, for exactly the purported reasoning, but it worked well enough on its own that anyone present was told to shut the gently caress up forever about atomic bombs.

Yeah it certainly feels a little apocryphal, but I can imagine some fragile marketing men chuckling how their latest new bike will destroy their Japanese competition and coming up with that one.

This is what came up when I searched for pictures of B29 bomber wheels

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Carth Dookie posted:

Fat Man and Little Boy were the code names for the nukes dropped on Japan. Thus the name Fat Boy is a bit on the nose if that's where the name came from.

It just seems like a retcon. You're telling me that some guy in Wisconsin in the late 80s drew up the design for the Fat Boy and instead of the boss seeing it and saying "cripes dat dere sumuvabeehive is one fat boy, I tells ya what!", it was actually a secret cabal of marketing wizards who said "what if we named it after the nukes we dropped on the japs, but not make it really obvious, like, combine the names somehow", in a country, at a time, when they literally could have named it the Fat Man and made a companion dirt bike called the Tall Boy and nobody would have even blinked an eye?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I mean it's not unheard-of for motorcycle companies to come up with names that directly reference their competitors. When Suzuki built a motorcycle to outperform Honda's CBR1100XX Super Blackbird, then the fastest motorcycle on the planet (and itself named after the SR-71), they called it Hayabusa, the Japanese word for the peregrine falcon -- which preys on blackbirds.

Lomarf @ Harley ever building anything that could be interpreted as "dropping a bomb on Japan," though. Kicking Japan in the shins is more like it

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

I mean it's not unheard-of for motorcycle companies to come up with names that directly reference their competitors. When Suzuki built a motorcycle to outperform Honda's CBR1100XX Super Blackbird, then the fastest motorcycle on the planet (and itself named after the SR-71), they called it Hayabusa, the Japanese word for the peregrine falcon -- which preys on blackbirds.

Lomarf @ Harley ever building anything that could be interpreted as "dropping a bomb on Japan," though. Kicking Japan in the shins is more like it

It makes for a good story, sure. It's just far more likely that Suzuki built the world's fastest motorbike and named it after the world's fastest animal without getting into bird wars. Like, did Kawasaki name their bike the Ninja because ninjas sneak into the castles of katana welding samurai to assassinate them, and therefore the name was a secret dig at Suzuki?

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Rolo posted:

I really want to ~try~ a Harley even if I'm pretty certain I'll never want to buy one.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The busa is 100% called that because they eat blackbirds, it is the type of subtle corporate pettiness japanese executives loving live for. Honda resisted two strokes for like a decade because the man himself thought they were inelegant and unclean and went to great lengths (oval pistons! 23000rpm!) to avoid just building a 2t because then it would look like they were copying the lesser brands and no longer a technical leader.

That being said, afaik the fat boy is called that because it's a big chonky boi, and the fat bob is that but also somewhat bobber-styled.

Strife posted:

No poo poo. :stare: What a bizarre name for them to keep.

When the Pan America was first announced, I asked a couple of dealerships if they were going to get them, and the response was basically "lol, no, but we'll order them if anyone asks." Those same places now have a constant demo unit because so many goddamn people asked them about it. Happy to see the Pan America is apparently doing well, even if dealerships don't know how to deal with anything that's not a black Street Glide.

Edit: Pan America, not Panamerica. My buddy drives a Panamera so I always get the names hosed up.

Harley dealers transforming into rows of corn cobs, many such cases.

Watch the process of the old guard being sloughed off accelerate as the beloved sportster is replaced by a water cooled dohc abomination.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

The busa is 100% called that because they eat blackbirds, it is the type of subtle corporate pettiness japanese executives loving live for. Honda resisted two strokes for like a decade because the man himself thought they were inelegant and unclean and went to great lengths (oval pistons! 23000rpm!) to avoid just building a 2t because then it would look like they were copying the lesser brands and no longer a technical leader.

That being said, afaik the fat boy is called that because it's a big chonky boi, and the fat bob is that but also somewhat bobber-styled.

Harley dealers transforming into rows of corn cobs, many such cases.

Watch the process of the old guard being sloughed off accelerate as the beloved sportster is replaced by a water cooled dohc abomination.

Not to get all bird nerd, but peregrines eat every fuckin bird. Mainly shorebirds and ducks and pigeons. You might as well say Yamaha called it the Thundercat because cats eat blackbirds too.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

my GF used to call any bike with a fairing "a ninja bike."

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

You guys sure have a lot of weird names for crotch rockets

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I don't 100% percent buy the Fat Boy story, but Harley for sure had a Confederate Edition paint scheme in the 70s that they really wish we'd forget.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

numberoneposter posted:

my GF used to call any bike with a fairing "a ninja bike."

Did she enjoy her time working for Kawasaki US then?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Finger Prince posted:

Not to get all bird nerd, but peregrines eat every fuckin bird. Mainly shorebirds and ducks and pigeons. You might as well say Yamaha called it the Thundercat because cats eat blackbirds too.

The thunder cat/ace was a fighter jet thing I think?

I think naming a bike after a bird that eats all other birds and is also the fastest bird, which took the crown from the previous bike which is called a blackbird, and is made by a company that normally names things with alphanumeric designations, is not a coincidence.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Slavvy posted:

When my drivechain came off of the rear sprocket a few times (it was hosed), it really beat up the sprocket-holding nuts and bolts, such that the ends were bent or stripped. When I redid the stuff back there and went to order new sprocket-retaining bolts, which are these bolts with a cut-off head that jams against the hub housing to keep them from turning as you wrench on the sprocket nuts on the other end, I was surprised to find that they're NLA in the United States. Had to order them from Aliexpress...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

:ohdear: hopefully they heat treated them properly