Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Bug Squash posted:

You get your "you better have learned the mechanics" boss only a couple of hours into SMT4, and to be honest Minotaur is pretty good at his job. You might need to back track a little bit and collect demons with the right buffs and heals, but that only adds about half an hour to the playtime.
You might also want to reload if Walter joins in on the Minotaur fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Matador is not hard. Ame no uzumi, nozuchi, and nekomata counter him easily.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Also for Matador you don't have Compendium access yet so making whatever demon you need might take a while.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Matador jumps you and the trick to him is not immediately obvious (and is slightly? unintuitive.)

You should get Fog Breath no matter what though because it's a ridiculously broken skill.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Brandfarlig posted:

I guess I'm just surprised the game is that hateful to the player for how many fans the game seems to have.

games that hate the player are the best games op

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
I threw two pokeballs at diglett and he broke out of both of them. I guess I’m just surprised how hatefull the game is towards the player for how many fans it seems to have.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Snake Maze posted:

I threw two pokeballs at diglett and he broke out of both of them. I guess I’m just surprised how hatefull the game is towards the player for how many fans it seems to have.

Except you get one chance per battle and you fail more often than not. Wasting my time with a low success rate just makes the game worse, not harder. It just makes me not want to recruit which isn't really an option.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

yeah it owns

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

The trouble with demon conversation is that it's not properly explained to the player. It's fine for SMT veterans, but for anyone who's coming in for the first time it a lot of vagueness of it is just needlessly obtuse.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Negotiation in Nocturne is entirely bullshit (the questions don't matter, the RNG decides beforehand whether or not you answer right) and there's nothing the player can do that makes it not bullshit, P5 has the only good negotiation system.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

nocturnes negotiation ftw

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
When you talk to humans you never know the correct thing to say to get the result you want, either.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Light Gun Man posted:

When you talk to humans you never know the correct thing to say to get the result you want, either.

It’s also based entirely on RNG as well

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Funky Valentine posted:

Negotiation in Nocturne is entirely bullshit (the questions don't matter, the RNG decides beforehand whether or not you answer right) and there's nothing the player can do that makes it not bullshit, P5 has the only good negotiation system.

I didn't want to come into the smt thread talking about how much better persona is but 4 and 5 are infinitely better in that aspect. Hopefully smt v has a better system than just making you fail more than half the time.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Brandfarlig posted:

I didn't want to come into the smt thread talking about how much better persona is but 4 and 5 are infinitely better in that aspect. Hopefully smt v has a better system than just making you fail more than half the time.

Nah don't worry its not you, its just whenever anyone criticizes Nocturne in any way the SMT fanbase isn't generally very good at taking it.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The real kick in the balls with Nocturne's system is that the ones you do manage to catch don't even have the decency to give back the Macca and/or healing stuff.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Brandfarlig posted:

i hope it makes you fail 66% of the time

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
We keep having the negotiation is bad / negotiation is good discussion and somehow it mostly also doesn't end how we wanted it to, really makes ya thonk

Give me a life stone.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Light Gun Man posted:

We keep having the negotiation is bad / negotiation is good discussion and somehow it mostly also doesn't end how we wanted it to, really makes ya thonk

Give me a life stone.

I mean the discussion doesn’t seem to be is the concept bad but that it’s not well implemented. Which is a different argument

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

At bare minimum players shouldn't have go through a negotiation the whole way only for the demon to go "I have to go".

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

why not

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Golden Goat posted:

At bare minimum players shouldn't have go through a negotiation the whole way only for the demon to go "I have to go".

Its pretty funny at least

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

hatty posted:

Its pretty funny at least

Like first time and then any time after it's just wasting your time while you go hunt for that same demon again to finish the negotiation.

There should be more stuff like status effects helping negotiation rates or something.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

there are skills that help

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

They should add more to help with the Q&A section

In apocalypse the scout skills that help primarily either add gifts or macca on recruting or reduce the demon's demands in the barter part of recruiting.

The only other really good one is scout+ that lets the demon bring another demon with them which is a huge help.

Which games had some demons that let you smooth over mistakes?

E: I'm forgetting I have Demon Charmer to "increase chances of friendly conversation".

Golden Goat fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jul 8, 2021

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Uh, I guess it's possible to kill Baal Avatar before she can summon the 2 helper demons. Certainly never knew that before

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Golden Goat posted:

Which games had some demons that let you smooth over mistakes?

Nocturne has a bunch of skills but they are usually bad anyways. I think I have only had those actually lead to a successful negotiation literally once. Money is easy to come by in Nocturne though so demon negotiation is kind of pointless after Matador.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I think the great shame is that talking to the demons could be used to add a lot more character to them, but instead it's just so bland and interchangeable between them.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Funky Valentine posted:

I wouldn't say 'only good system', because while it definitely has the BEST system there's still some decent ones.

I remember that Strange Journey had a really smart approach to negotiation where the amount of 'right answers' to negotiation questions changed based on your alignments relative to the demon's. So if you're Law you're going to have a much easier time recruiting Law demons (which is good because SJ's team-up attacks rewarded like-aligned demons), while it also doesn't take away your ability to recruit Chaos demons if needed. There was also actual logic beyond RNG to which choices were right, but I don't remember exactly what.

Also SJ's questions were BEFORE the item handover stage, so if you answered wrong you wouldn't already be out some items.

Basically, the pieces of the negotiation system are fine, Nocturne just implemented every single piece wrong.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I remember reading at some point that people were convinced Nocturne's conversation system was bugged instead of trained wrong, as a joke

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I did not have any issue with Matador or Hell Biker. Daisoujou wiped my party a couple of times as soon as he started phase 2 though

Funky Valentine posted:

wait what

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The only fiends that gave me serious trouble were Matador and Mother Harlot

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Daishoujou I beat first try because he's got no way to clear buffs or debuffs but Hell Biker I got walled on for like six attempts until he decided not to clear my defense buffs one run

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Yeah, P5 has a great negotiation system.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

SMT4's system is good once you realize that you can just refuse, refuse, end conversation, and a lot of the time they just join you anyway.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Negotiation would be better if there were less shared dialogue between demons and they got more individuality about it, agreed. It is important, however, that they remain capricious dicks who will sometimes take your lifestone and then tell you to gently caress off.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Bug Squash posted:

You get your "you better have learned the mechanics" boss only a couple of hours into SMT4, and to be honest Minotaur is pretty good at his job. You might need to back track a little bit and collect demons with the right buffs and heals, but that only adds about half an hour to the playtime.

By contrast, loving Matador in SMT3N slams at the 6 to 8 hour mark, and if you didn't know to collect fog breath or solid buffs then gently caress you. None of the demons you can catch know it innately, and they're level up skills are hidden from you except the very next one. On top of all that, he's blocking you from getting to any decent leveling up locations, so even if you do know to fuse and level up dog snake, it takes an hour or two to actually get it high enough.

Early SMT4 was hard, but at least it never pulls a Matador on you.

If you have access to fog breath by the matador fight you're extremely overleveled. Sukukaja and/or sukunda are the big things you want in that fight, along with rakukaja to survive the focus andalucia if it comes to that, all of which is fairly accessible at the level range for Matador

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Just having wind resistance and wind resistant demons plus media will also basically you get there as well. Once he does his big physical attacks, you just need to go all in to finish him.