Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

pantslesswithwolves posted:

https://twitter.com/kyodo_english/status/1413122908667269121

What was the point of holding the Olympics again, other than to line the pockets of some officials?

Let me tell you about the IOC...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

https://twitter.com/jkass99/status/1412870574485823489?s=19

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

ElMaligno posted:

The more important question is:

is it a technical?

I forget the exact criteria that WTYP/WaHoaWtD came up with. I think the standard was that it needs at least two people, with the weapon mounted, doing a thing the vehicle wasn't intended to do. So mounting a rapid-fire crossbow to a tandem bicycle - technical. Mount a machine gun to a snowblower - not a technical.

And meanwhile, it turns out that the old, hyper-creepy, hyper-online Cat Person story from a few years ago also involved some weird, creepy borderline-stalking from the author too. Yiiiiiiikes.

Original "story": https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/12/11/cat-person

https://twitter.com/Slate/status/1413071752373186562?s=19

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Bored As gently caress posted:

This is 100% truth.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

W..what?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

orange juche posted:

Where do you carry a 1911 when you're cycling? not a lot of places to put it.

Did he use a 1911, or did the author just google "gun" and use one of the top photos?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

https://twitter.com/kyodo_english/status/1413122908667269121

What was the point of holding the Olympics again, other than to line the pockets of some officials?

Japan literally cannot cancel them. Only the IOC can.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Mr. Nice! posted:

Lol what?

Pretty sure Japan can pull the plug on them happening in Japan.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mr. Nice! posted:

Japan is a sovereign state and can tell them to gently caress off if they want to.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
I imagine the IOC has them sign a contract that says they can't cancel them or something stupid. Everyone knows a contract is stronger than law or sovereignty.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Easy for you to say, but the SDF has never been tested against the IOC’s PMC force.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Japan could tell them to gently caress off, but the IOC has some crazy contracts, how else do you think they get cities to upend themselves and go on massive works projects they would never do otherwise?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

We Vogons have the honor of informing you that your city/state/planet has been selected to host the Olympic Games. This is your only warning.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
They’re coming to LA in 2028 :getin:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Fallom posted:

We Vogons have the honor of informing you that your city/state/planet has been selected to host the Olympic Games. This is your only warning.

When you think about it, Trump is the real Zaphod. The Saudi Orb thing was his improbability drive button.

Or maybe it was his diet coke button.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

CommieGIR posted:

Japan could tell them to gently caress off, but the IOC has some crazy contracts, how else do you think they get cities to upend themselves and go on massive works projects they would never do otherwise?

Same way the NFL does.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Stultus Maximus posted:

Same way the NFL does.

Through bait and switch?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

CommieGIR posted:

Through bait and switch?

Civic leaders who either buy the "prestige and economic boom" line, or who just sell it to their constituents for the kickbacks.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

come and take it

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

PookBear posted:

come and take it

Can you imagine this thing popping up on a battlefield? Just the anime horseman, no biggy

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

PookBear posted:

come and take it

This must be the attack helicopter transphobic shitheads always self identify as

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

In fairness, it does mean a lot for the athletes themselves. One of my friends from high school did tryouts for both the 2016 and 2020 women's wrestling teams, and simply preparing for the tryouts was an extremely arduous, year-long process of training and preparation. So I'm glad that something resembling the Olympics is still going on for their sake if nothing else.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Acebuckeye13 posted:

In fairness, it does mean a lot for the athletes themselves. One of my friends from high school did tryouts for both the 2016 and 2020 women's wrestling teams, and simply preparing for the tryouts was an extremely arduous, year-long process of training and preparation. So I'm glad that something resembling the Olympics is still going on for their sake if nothing else.

Bit expensive for a jobs program though.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Bit expensive for a jobs program though.

Given that it provides almost no benefits to the Olympians, yeah it is.

Most of them have to sacrifice massive amounts of personal income, or often go into debt to compete. Including sleeping/living in their cars. And they rarely, if ever, recoup those costs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVozkB33xK0

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jul 8, 2021

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
You really don't enjoy watching the Olympics? It's one of the most entertaining sports spectacles ever conceived. It's also a shared experience for people from all walks of life from all over the planet.

People like the Olympics. Having it during a pandemic seems pretty stupid, bit the games themselves are pretty well loved.

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jul 8, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

PookBear posted:

come and take it

I was linked this earlier today and I wasn’t going to post it, but you’ve forced my hand.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Grip it and rip it posted:

You really don't enjoy watching the Olympics? It's one of the most entertaining sports spectacles ever conceived. It's also a shared experience for people from all walks of life from all over the planet.

Watching sports usually boring.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

People like the Olympics. Having it during a pandemic seems pretty stupid, bit the games themselves are pretty well loved.

There are things which in isolation I would enjoy but are rooted in such evil, greed, and corruption it ruins the experience. Most sports, for example.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Stultus Maximus posted:

There are things which in isolation I would enjoy but are rooted in such evil, greed, and corruption it ruins the experience. Most sports, for example.

Are you making this post from a Gilligan's island style coconut transmitter?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Are you making this post from a Gilligan's island style coconut transmitter?

I do participate in society! You are very intelligent!

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I like seeing the Olympics, but never go out of my way to.

I agree with the meme that says they should have 1 normal dude competing in every event to show the level these guys compete at.

And, the Grateful Dead once paid to send a team to the Olympics.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

the vast majority of olympic events are boring as absolute gently caress

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Curling is legitimately the only Olympic sport I look forward to. I don’t pay attention to who is winning though, I just tune in to watch the epic broomsmanship.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I like sports and the Olympics are a blast to watch. I do think that the experience could be improved by throwing a completely average Joe or Jane into the competitions so we’d have a better idea of how great Olympians are at their chosen sport.

Just like snag someone from off the street and ask if they wanna swim 200 meters or whatever. That way everyone at home can stop pretending they’d have any chance of coming close to what the worst actual competitor does.

Also I stole this idea from other people on the internet so this isn’t an original thought of mine.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

bulletsponge13 posted:

I like seeing the Olympics, but never go out of my way to.

I agree with the meme that says they should have 1 normal dude competing in every event to show the level these guys compete at.

And, the Grateful Dead once paid to send a team to the Olympics.

I want the "normal dude" to have little to no knowledge of the event.

Here comes Phil Bobsworth, this will be his third lifetime attempt at the Biathlon. Do you think that he even knows how to put skis on, you know, with him living in Egypt and all?

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

even the shooting is boring as its done at 10 meters with an airgun.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

US Berder Patrol posted:

This must be the attack helicopter transphobic shitheads always self identify as

Related note: one year anniversary of the trans lady who wrote the I Sexually Identify As An Attack Helicopter who got canceled by erstwhile allies who didn't even read the short before calling her phobic to the point where she quit writing

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Hekk posted:

I like sports and the Olympics are a blast to watch. I do think that the experience could be improved by throwing a completely average Joe or Jane into the competitions so we’d have a better idea of how great Olympians are at their chosen sport.

Just like snag someone from off the street and ask if they wanna swim 200 meters or whatever. That way everyone at home can stop pretending they’d have any chance of coming close to what the worst actual competitor does.

Also I stole this idea from other people on the internet so this isn’t an original thought of mine.

Wouldn't throwing in a rando off the street make the people who think they'd do as well as the worst competitor correct?

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

ASAPI posted:

I want the "normal dude" to have little to no knowledge of the event.

Here comes Phil Bobsworth, this will be his third lifetime attempt at the Biathlon. Do you think that he even knows how to put skis on, you know, with him living in Egypt and all?

Isn't this basically Eddie the Eagle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008

PookBear posted:

even the shooting is boring as its done at 10 meters with an airgun.

Double trap buddy.