Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Elephant Ambush posted:

I found a musician who is probably a Freeper:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdwuSEwgrAM

Those lyrics holy moly

Ah, Prepaid Legal! One of the multitude of Multi-Level Marketing pyramid schemes my lovely fundamentalist mother fell for in my childhood.

God, how I could rant about those loving things.

Captain Log fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jul 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Captain Log posted:

Ah, Prepaid Legal! One of the multitude of Multi-Level Marketing pyramid schemes my lovely fundamentalist mother fell for in my childhood.

JONES GOT ME THIS BIG rear end CHECK

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.
Question for the old timers. Were there freaks in the old days?

quote:

I was just sitting in a Cub's parking lot waiting for my wife. It seemed there was an endless parade of what I would call freaks-- girls with blue hair and pierced noses, men with dreadlocks and huge inserts into big holes in their ears, women covered with nasty tattoos. You know what I mean.

I realize there has always been unusual people, but if you were alive before the 1960's, do you remember if there was a concept of trying to make one look as idiotic as possible?

quote:

To: MNDude
Now i think of it, this body mutilation thing seems to have really taken of sometime during Gen-X and really going now with the useless millennials.

Tattoos used to be mostly hidden other than some arm stuff on old sailor types.

7 posted on 07/05/2021 9:10:41 PM PDT by doorgunner69 ("Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything.." -Joseph Stalin)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies ]

quote:

No. Reputable people didn’t get tattoos except for military veterans. Nobody mutilated their bodies with weird piercings and such. What you describe is a historical sign of the decline of a culture. I think it was Spengler who said you know a culture is on the rise when the lower classes emulate the upper classes, but a culture is in decline when the upper classes mimic the lower classes.

9 posted on 07/05/2021 9:11:22 PM PDT by hinckley buzzard (resist the narrative. .)

quote:

Personally not dating back that far lolz, but I would guess this kind of counterculture stuff was tolerated earlier in France and some parts of Germany than in the US. Then analogous groups became established in US and brought in and tried to normalize pot (the real reason it was banned, not “racism”) worked to cleave youths away into the first generational gap in the US with beatnik culture carefully designed for that purpose. The leaders of this were primarily homosexuals and pedophiles.

20 posted on 7/5/2021, 9:17:15 PM by Right Wing Vegan
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

quote:

We’ve always had the flamboyantly bizarre among us.

Institutions (and involuntary commitments), selective and aggressive enforcement of loitering and nuisance laws, and frequent applications of rough street justice used to reduce their visibility as well as curb the more extreme behaviors among them.

We are more tolerant and accepting now. YMMV as to how much of an improvement that is.

31 posted on 7/5/2021, 9:23:54 PM by Natty Bumppo@frontier.net (We are the dangerous ones, who stand between all we love and a more dangerous world.)

quote:

I am appalled and sickened by the idiots with piercings, tattoos and clown-colored hair. I didn’t realize how many Generation Whatever Dolts there were until I took a part time job (post-retirement) and found that half the workers are “tattooed circus freaks”.

Sad to say I spent part of Independence Day with a tattooed cousin of mine.....and his tattooed second wife. They are half my age, thus the disconnect in what we find to be acceptable behavior. My husband and I discussed our dismay at the stupidity of it all on our drive home last night. That level of tattoo coverage is ridiculous, and career-limiting. Just creepy and gross.

51 posted on 7/5/2021, 9:41:53 PM by TheConservativeParty (MAGA FOREVER 🇺🇸)

quote:

I think its gotten a lot worse in the last 10, especially the last 5 years.
10 years ago people got A tattoo. A young slut would get a tramp stamp on her lower back. Now, the're like some sort of vine that grows all over the body. People don't get A tattoo. They get tattooed - whole body sections done at a time. Can't do one on one leg without doing one on the other, etc, etc, etc

And that's just the parts of the body that show in public.

80 posted on 7/5/2021, 10:14:19 PM by mcenedo (lying liberal media, our most dangerous and powerful enemy)

Gee I wonder what was going down in '64 that would have got freepers so angry :thunk:

quote:

To: frnewsjunkie
There was an expectation of people to conform to societal norms. That really started breaking down around 1964 or 1965 as the “counter-culture” ramped up concurrently with the massive Vietnam war.

A couple decades later and “tolerance” became the new mantra and norm. Now we tolerate everything including public squares filled with drug-addled bums, graffiti covered cities, rampant and blatant theft, families without fathers, unfathomable murder rates, multiple “genders,” and every perversion under the sun.

The “respectability rating” of old institutions like the military is rapidly crumbling. This will not turn out well.

86 posted on 07/05/2021 10:30:06 PM PDT by ProtectOurFreedom (“I’m not a conspiracy theorist....but, I don’t believe in coincidences, either.” ~ Steve Bannon)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 62 | View Replies ]

quote:

To: ProtectOurFreedom
The 60s is where law and order broke down.
But parenting broke down.
Young parents were told not to discipline
Bible: withhold the rod, spoil the child.
That doesn’t mean a rod or stick.. it is the rod of teaching discipline

Before the 60s, during WWII, women went to work to replace the men who were in the war. Many stayed working for the extra income.

During the 1960 change, the gov said you could not pick who you wanted to sell your house to.. so they built 3 bedroom houses that cost 2 to 3 times as much.. trying to control neighborhoods.. and an extra income was almost needed.

I still wonder why do women have children for someone else to raise.
I stayed home.. yes, I was one of those housewives. My kids never came home to an empty house. They came home to fresh baked cookies..and we did without all the extras.
We ate around the table every evening.. we ate home cooked meals.. we bowed our head in a THANK YOU.

Losing all that makes me just SAD... and yes.. respect and honor was lost also

I know this is long but I have so much I wish you younguns knew.. experienced.. used to make your life good.

163 posted on 07/06/2021 4:35:26 AM PDT by frnewsjunkie
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 86 | View Replies ]

quote:

Back in the early 1960s, I went to the Detroit Metro Airport to pick up my brother coming home from the service. It was a hot summer day, and I was sitting alone in an empty waiting area, with my head down reading a magazine, when I notice the fat nyloned calves of two blacks females in high heals. But I heard two men talking, which I thought was strange. Looking up I saw the two women, were big fat sweating black guys with mustaches in tight black dresses, wigs, and pillbox hats like Jackie Kennedy used to wear sitting across from me fanning themselves with magazines and complaining to each other about the heat in a feminine manner. First time I had ever seen anything like that, and was in a state of shock. I remember saying top myself, “Oh my God, they’re men in woman’s clothes!”

133 posted on 7/6/2021, 1:48:22 AM by Main Street (Stuck in traffic.)

quote:

When I was in Jr HS, I wanted to belong to the counterculture for all of it’s “free love”, rock and roll, far out freedom in the Space Age, groovy girls looking for a groovy guy, etc., but it never really happened because all of those people were at least 10 years older than me and some were Vietnam vets who were still in their early 20’s. Some of those vets were teachers in our school district and most of them were good teachers. The “freakiest” of them was one of the Geography teachers who was also the JV football and basketball coach. On the first day of 7th Grade, he came to school long-haired, wearing a headband with a long feather in the back and a Fu Manchu mustache like Joe Namath’s. The football team went undefeated and I made the basketball team, but that team was not so great. Was he a really a “freak”? Nope, he was just daring to be different. We also had a WWII vet who had two prosthetic legs and he was not unlike the Coach. Was he a “freak” too?...Nope! The (hippie) freaks who called themselves “freaks” were the real freaks. As it turned out, I was just a good rock and roll fan and that’s about it. I latched onto the scene and went along for the wild and reckless ride until people my age started dying like the rock stars of the ‘60’s, or landing in rehab and some were close friends in the neighborhood and from school. Now I find that I’m part of a new pro-American counterculture and it seems to make more sense this time around and rightly so! Yes, I’m a Baby Boomer and I can’t change that but I can ignore it if I choose to. I can’t divorce myself from my youthful indiscretions but I understand better than ever how it was mistake to try to align myself with that first counterculture, especially at such an impressionable age. Don’t let the smooth taste fool you. You don’t want to find out the hard way that “Love” had almost nothing to do with it.

135 posted on 7/6/2021, 2:51:16 AM by equaviator (There's nothing like the universe to bring you down to earth.)

quote:

Our country was put together by men who used biblical principles.

I’ve said running this country shouldn’t be impossible if the leadership did the right thing. Problem has been the special interest and crooked leadership

Doing the right thing is foreign to politicians ...too many to payback to be honest.

Christianity used to be revered...even if not understood. We went to church.. we were not crazy

My opinion:
TV came alive in the 50s. And with a TV audience, came all kinds of opportunities and temptations.

There were church goers and non church goers. The nons knew little to nothing about Christianity...gave it no notice.
Televangelist came on TV offering miracles and asking for money. Their ways on TV were not believed by many on both sides.
The elitism and the fakery got under the skin of so many.
The reverence was gone.

Jane fonda was in the news.. Viet Nam was in the news. And TV Evangelists were on the news.
It takes only a drop to start the dripping.

Without the reverence and tolerence of our churches, that hindrance to partaking of all the rest the world offered ..that curtain was taken down

218 posted on 7/7/2021, 6:34:41 AM by frnewsjunkie

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Actually, being a big ol’ square is the new counter culture cried the Freeper!

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Freep: The Freaks who called themselves Freaks were the real freaks

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

kik2dagroin posted:

Question for the old timers. Were there freaks in the old days?
quote:

No. Reputable people didn’t get tattoos except for military veterans. Nobody mutilated their bodies with weird piercings and such. What you describe is a historical sign of the decline of a culture. I think it was Spengler who said you know a culture is on the rise when the lower classes emulate the upper classes, but a culture is in decline when the upper classes mimic the lower classes.

9 posted on 07/05/2021 9:11:22 PM PDT by hinckley buzzard (resist the narrative. .)

Spengler uh... Backed the losing side. I wouldn't trust him to tell me if a civilization was in decline or not

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

quote:

During the 1960 change, the gov said you could not pick who you wanted to sell your house to.. so they built 3 bedroom houses that cost 2 to 3 times as much.. trying to control neighborhoods.. and an extra income was almost needed.

Yes not being allowed to be a total blatant racist is the same as you don’t get to choose who you sell your house to.

Like what loving universe do these non-freaks reside in.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tattoos became something of a fashionable thing in the 1800s, the view of them in the 20th century is actually a swing backwards from the victorian period.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Do we do trigger warnings? Because this poo poo needs it.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/times-square-suspect-16-in-custody-after-marine-injured-in-shooting

Some Marine got shot by a kid in Times Square.

I took screenshots of the first page of comments. I don't know how it sorts them, but it was a combination of most recent and most popular, with little chains. These are almost certainly out of order, but it doesn't matter. You can see how rapidly new comments were coming in by the "XX New Comments!" message.

This passes as not only OK, but cool and encouraged on Fox message boards.

Also, DIMWITCRATS!!!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

DarklyDreaming posted:

Spengler uh... Backed the losing side. I wouldn't trust him to tell me if a civilization was in decline or not

Also, even a marginal knowledge of the history of 'gourmet food' will show you that 'high class emulating low class' happens so goddamn much in culture. The difference is that when the high class does it, the thing becomes high class.

Also love the guy saying that weed wasn't outlawed because of racism, it was outlawed because of the corrupting influence of people from other countries.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

some rear end in a top hat freeper posted:

To: ProtectOurFreedom
The 60s is where law and order broke down.
But parenting broke down.
Young parents were told not to discipline
Bible: withhold the rod, spoil the child.
That doesn’t mean a rod or stick.. it is the rod of teaching discipline

I'm sure it will come as absolutely no surprise to anyone that "spare the rod, spoil the child" is not, in fact, in the bible.

Neither is "teach a man to fish".

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008
"The rod" doesn't mean a rod you fool, it means a rod!

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Tattoos are literally tens of thousands of years old

What the gently caress are these people talking about

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Beatnik culture is corrupting our youth, quick someone alert President Coolidge!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

DarkCrawler posted:

they are sad old fucks who think the world was Leave it to beaver perfection until the 60s happened or some poo poo.

Captain Monkey posted:

Actually, being a big ol’ square is the new counter culture cried the Freeper!

that being said. i have seen zoomers wanting to go back to more "traditional type family units" but this time with LGBT included.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

OwlFancier posted:

Tattoos became something of a fashionable thing in the 1800s, the view of them in the 20th century is actually a swing backwards from the victorian period.

The most hilarious example is Jean-Baptiste Bernadotte, progenitor of the current royal house of Sweden and former napoleonic marshal, who had DEATH TO MONARCHS or some such tattooed across his chest.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The most hilarious example is Jean-Baptiste Bernadotte, progenitor of the current royal house of Sweden and former napoleonic marshal, who had DEATH TO MONARCHS or some such tattooed across his chest.

Well, that must have been awkward.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Captain Log posted:

Travis Alexander and his murderer Jodi Arias were a part of that nonsense to give you an idea of the types of people it attracts.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

"Spare the rod, spoil the child" isn't exactly a bible verse but Proverbs 13:24 basically says the same thing.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

“Oh my God, they’re men in woman’s clothes!”

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.

DarkCrawler posted:

Otzi had a bunch of tattoos.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

And Jesus raiseth his garment, and He did show to His disciples His arm
And He saith unto them, Verily I say unto you, see ye not this bitchin' skull?
And His disciples did see the skull, and the skull was bitchin'.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

they are sad old fucks who think the world was Leave it to beaver perfection until the 60s happened or some poo poo.

Yeah reactionaries are totally incurious and think that the way things were when they were children is how the world always was forever, the past was a static golden age until corrupting elements changed and ruined everything the instant their youth faded.

They all complain about metrosexuals and how effeminate men look these days, but then they worship the founding fathers who were mostly all fancy pants dandies who wore tights and lace and flamboyant coats and wigs and cosmetics and poo poo

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jul 8, 2021

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?
My favorite is when people act, either implicitly or explicitly, like homosexuality is a relatively recent phenomenon. I remember seeing a guy on Freep years ago claiming that gay activity just flat-out didn't exist, at least in America, until the 1950's.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

My favorite is when people act, either implicitly or explicitly, like homosexuality is a relatively recent phenomenon. I remember seeing a guy on Freep years ago claiming that gay activity just flat-out didn't exist, at least in America, until the 1950's.

Things didn't exist until I was forced to acknowledge them.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

“Individuality is the greatest freedom and the government can’t tell me how to be. Also anyone expressing their individuality how they see fit should be severely beaten in the streets until they conform to what society tells them to be” - Freepers

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

My favorite freep this week is them wanting to give up every political freedom they say they care about if they can live under a dictatorship that's lovely enough to gay people.

Even a communist dictatorship.

It's funny to think about how only an accident of birth kept them from being Stalinist or Maoist. The only thing they care about is conformity.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

“Individuality is the greatest freedom and the government can’t tell me how to be. Also anyone expressing their individuality how they see fit should be severely beaten in the streets until they conform to what society tells them to be” - Freepers

"Everyone should be free to think exactly what I think" - Freep.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Scratch Monkey posted:

Travis Alexander and his murderer Jodi Arias were a part of that nonsense to give you an idea of the types of people it attracts.

:stare:

Jesus Christ, you're right. I knew they were Pyramid Schemers, but didn't know it was that pyramid scheme.

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.

kik2dagroin posted:

freepers: I had the urge to use the N word there

The freepers opining on the above article are obviously racist shits but another function of their bigotry is what is generating the discourse.

Here is some updated data:

Breitbart hasn't moved from its #1 spot as the most cited domain. I even lost a bit during this month's data collection because of some power outages!
Here is a subset of freepers that post the most breitbart articles:
code:
breitbart.com          MtnClimber                 1
                       SeekAndFind                9
                       RandFan                    6
                       Red Badger                11
                       ChicagoConservative27    250
                       Onthebrink                 3
                       knighthawk               135
That's... some dedication right there.

My data mining project continues. Here is Q2 2021's data for most-linked-to-domains:

Obviously take it with a grain of salt: the dataset is not 100% accurate since the scraper went offline throughout the quarter because it's running on my home network which breaks for various reasons. Despite all that it looks like freepers love to discuss racist trash from breitbart! Looking at last time I posted a chart they are still predominantly pulling from the same sources, maybe in a slightly rearranged order.

The data rolls over every quarter (so if you look at it now you'll only be viewing the q3 2021 data) and perusable on github whenever my lovely automation bothers to work.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

I think I encountered a Freeper in the wild yesterday. I work in a hotel and this old fart comes storming up to the desk wearing an old Marine garrison cap, a t-shirt reading "HERE'S MY GUN PERMIT: THE 2ND AMENDMENT!!!", a tragic pair of old man shorts, and open-carrying a ludicrous Deagle-sized handgun. "I PAID FOR TWO NIGHTS AND YOU PEOPLE KICK ME OUT, THIS IS THE BIGGEST SCAM GOING". "uh, no one is kicking you out, the keys either expired or demagnetized. Here." He then takes those keys, turns around, and stomps off shouting "I DON'T KNOW WHAT ANY OF THAT MEANS" before angrily coming back to check out 10 minutes later.

Thanks to this thread brain-poisoning me over the years all I could think was "holy poo poo this must be what dalereed was like IRL"

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I think I encountered a Freeper in the wild yesterday. I work in a hotel and this old fart comes storming up to the desk wearing an old Marine garrison cap, a t-shirt reading "HERE'S MY GUN PERMIT: THE 2ND AMENDMENT!!!", a tragic pair of old man shorts, and open-carrying a ludicrous Deagle-sized handgun. "I PAID FOR TWO NIGHTS AND YOU PEOPLE KICK ME OUT, THIS IS THE BIGGEST SCAM GOING". "uh, no one is kicking you out, the keys either expired or demagnetized. Here." He then takes those keys, turns around, and stomps off shouting "I DON'T KNOW WHAT ANY OF THAT MEANS" before angrily coming back to check out 10 minutes later.

Thanks to this thread brain-poisoning me over the years all I could think was "holy poo poo this must be what dalereed was like IRL"

I say this as a gun guy - Anyone open carrying outside of the wilderness is a loving colossal idiot

Freep Thread - I DON'T KNOW WHAT ANY OF THIS MEANS!!!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Captain Log posted:

I say this as a gun guy - Anyone open carrying outside of the wilderness is a loving colossal idiot

Freep Thread - I DON'T KNOW WHAT ANY OF THIS MEANS!!!

Yeah I own two guns but they're generally locked up and my gf has half the keys. What even is the freep version of gun safety because I picture old men accidentally shooting themselves in the dick 24/7.

fake e: rip the one freep-adjacent dude who tazed himself in the balls on January 6

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

What even is the freep version of gun safety because I picture old men accidentally shooting themselves in the dick 24/7.

Making sure the safety's off so you can shoot immigrants faster.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I don't think this guy was on Freep but he did share all the same memes so checks out.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
If BLM and Antifa manage to actually eliminate police they'd still have fewer people attacking/murdering them and at least the people still doing it wouldn't be able to hide behind the law as well.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Oh no, the people so terrified of everything that they carry an ar-15 to Walmart are going to come attack us!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Captain Monkey posted:

Oh no, the people so terrified of everything that they carry an ar-15 to Walmart are going to come attack us!

You, a dumbass lib commie: picks up a fake gun still in the box at walmart

Me, a hero cop: guns you down in front of an elementary school class

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Technically CPAC, not Freep, but still...

https://twitter.com/AndrewSolender/status/1413612849952395265

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009

drat that card is great, its really got layers to its idiocy. Also that is just a wonderful URL. Someone who isn't me should visit and report back.