Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

teagone posted:

I guess. I've really just had a bone to pick with the Russo Bros ever since they released a written statement with their signatures asking people to not spoil Endgame. That's admittedly more me just being weird though...probably.

They were inspired by Hitchcock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

RBA Starblade posted:

:golfclap:

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
In retrospect, how would you even spoil the Avengers’ game-end?

“Yeah they kill Thano in the first few minutes, and then it’s a time-travel comedy. A completely new villain just randomly zaps in from another universe and they kill him too.”

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

“Yeah they kill Thano in the first few minutes, and then it’s a time-travel comedy. A completely new villain just randomly zaps in from another universe and they kill him too.”

"Also Iron Man dies"

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
That’s not a spoiler; that’s a selling point. Shoulda put it in the trailer.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

That’s not a spoiler; that’s a selling point. Shoulda put it in the trailer.

lol

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

They definitely could have gone for the 'You can't afford to miss Tony's agonising death!' angle. A trailer for Star Trek III showed the original Enterprise blowing up to get nerds into the cinema.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
One of the things I most respect Marvel for is CGI-ing trailers and shooting scenes never intended to be in the movie to produce completely fake footage to throw people off and mess with nerds.

The trend of trailers showing all the best scenes and laying out the entire plot beat straightforwardly over 2 minutes is bad enough. But, combined with the fact that most major movies have 4-5 trailers nowadays, you will never be surprised in the theater.

Mission Impossible 5's entire premise is that it is supposed to be a shocking betrayal out of nowhere regarding Henry Cavil's character and they show him fist fighting Tom Cruise in every single trailer.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah but that scene was a misdirect because they work together after that. The twist comes later.

And dang I loved cavil in that film

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The trend of trailers showing all the best scenes and laying out the entire plot beat straightforwardly over 2 minutes is bad enough.
My favourite example of this (albeit in more than 3 minutes): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1x0GpEZnwa8

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

I saw someone spoil the entire plot and thought it was a joke. Then youtube guy Dan Olson did a video about it and said a lot of the exact same stuff and I thought, oh poo poo

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

One of the things I most respect Marvel for is CGI-ing trailers and shooting scenes never intended to be in the movie to produce completely fake footage to throw people off and mess with nerds.

I actually somehow didn't know or else entirely forgot about this. What are some examples?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Reminds me of how FYAD was renamed HAN DIES for most of the first month that TFA was in theatres and I thought someone was having a laugh, cuz FYAD, until I was sitting in the theatre thinking "oh...OH"

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Guy A. Person posted:

I actually somehow didn't know or else entirely forgot about this. What are some examples?

In Ragnarok's trailers:

- They edit out Thor's missing eye.
- They make it look like Loki is coming after Thor on the bridge in Asgard.
- They showed footage of Odin and Hela in New York that they never intended to use.

In the Infinity War trailers:

- They CGI all the shots of Hulkbuster Armor to be the Hulk.
- They edit the Gauntlet on Thanos' hand to show that he only has two gems during Wakanda, when he actually had them all.
- They have several dead people show up in group shots.
- They have several scenes that don't ever show up in the movie that include people who get dusted standing around in Wakanda.
- They edit a lot of dialogue from different parts of the movie together.
- They edit a lot of footage of Iron Man's nanomachine suit to look like regular clothes.
- There's footage of Heimdal fighting in a forest somewhere (despite him dying 5 minutes into the movie on a spaceship).
- Thanos has several voiceovers that were recorded for the trailer and don't appear in the movie.

In the Endgame trailers:

- They edit Cap's shield to not be broken during the fight with Thanos
- Professor Hulk is edited out of several shots to make it look like it is just Rocket Raccoon in a lab.
- They edited out backgrounds of New Asgard.
- They showed Iron Man stranded in Space in edited him out of scenes on Earth.
- Nebula's jackets and head plate are edited to different colors to make it look like the "evil" version is the normal one.
- They edit Captain America's costume to be his battered Infinity War costume when he time travels back to 2012.
- They edited Giant Man and Hulk out of shots that feature Rocket/War Machine/Giant Man/Hulk in the movie, Fat Thor is edited out of a lot of group shots and shown as normal Thor.
- They edit in Mjolnir and a cape to obscure Thor's new costume and weapon.
- They dyed RDJ's hair for scenes to obscure the time jump.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jul 8, 2021

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

The Cameo posted:

Marvel started releasing their movies first in Asia and Australia starting with Iron Man 2 because of how they figured the returns on Iron Man and Incredible Hulk being lower in those markets due to piracy, yeah. Other times, specifically after the Disney acquisition, they moved to as much of a simultaneous global release as possible, but I imagine thanks to COVID that sort of logistics is more complicated than ever, shipping and everything is all sorts of hosed up in a lot of places - so they just run the old staggered release since it’s an operable plan even in the current situation.

It's not "Australia getting it first" - it came out in most of the world before Australia, it's just that the USA gets most big films last now.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Aces High posted:

Reminds me of how FYAD was renamed HAN DIES for most of the first month that TFA was in theatres and I thought someone was having a laugh, cuz FYAD, until I was sitting in the theatre thinking "oh...OH"

My favorite is still how someone leaked the entire plot and ending of Portal 2 in the thread a week before launch and nobody believed them and thought it was a joke post

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

RBA Starblade posted:

Lol.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Recreating the Iron Man convoy ambush complete with zooming in on the missile only to have BFF Killmonger show up is hilarious

https://i.imgur.com/fqCPJh8.mp4

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jul 8, 2021

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

The United States posted:

Recreating the Iron Man convoy ambush complete with zooming in on the missile only to have BFF Killmonger show up is hilarious

"Killmonger" is explicitly written on his tag. The US military in the MCU is done pretending.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

The United States posted:

https://i.imgur.com/fqCPJh8.mp4

Lmao, holy poo poo.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

SuperTeeJay posted:

They definitely could have gone for the 'You can't afford to miss Tony's agonising death!' angle. A trailer for Star Trek III showed the original Enterprise blowing up to get nerds into the cinema.

They put the Enterprise's destruction in the trailer because Gene Roddenberry was furious with the original plan (destroy the Enterprise, move everyone over to the Excelsior) and leaked it to the fanzines, just as he leaked Spock's death in Star Trek II (which inspired Nick Meyer to have Spock "die" in the Kobayashi Maru test at the beginning of the film, to fake out the audience). Harve Bennett decided that the cat was already out of the bag, so, gently caress it, put the Enterprise's death in the trailer.

In Ragnarok's trailers:

- They showed footage of Odin and Hela in New York that they never intended to use.

I think this was an actual editorial change; as filmed, Hela confronts Odin, Thor and Loki in New York, but in post-production Waititi decided to re-shoot the scene and have it take place in Norway, as he felt it was more grounded.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Yeah, some of those things are definitely deleted or reshot sequences, and often VFX elements are just "not done yet" rather than "edited out". There's definitely some intentional fakeout stuff though, like changing Cap's 2012 costume or removing human actors from scenes.

Movies have been doing this for a while, too. I remember Wall-E leaving the plant out of all the shots aboard the spaceship, so it's been happening for over a decade at this point. I wonder what the earliest examples of "this is in the movie, but we changed part of the shot to hide spoilers" are.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I remember the trailer shot in Predators (2010) where Adrien Brody has a bunch of Predator laster sights pointed on him, but in the actual movie it's just one.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
So is the Black Widow "twist" people are talking about that Taskmasker is a lady?

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I just want to be spoiled on how Taskmaster ends up in the movie. He's like the perfect candidate for recurring minor antagonist in the MCU and I'll be so disappointed if they fumbled that.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Robot Style posted:

Movies have been doing this for a while, too. I remember Wall-E leaving the plant out of all the shots aboard the spaceship, so it's been happening for over a decade at this point. I wonder what the earliest examples of "this is in the movie, but we changed part of the shot to hide spoilers" are.

Infamously, Alien 3's first trailer said "on Earth, everyone can hear you scream," despite the movie not taking place anywhere near Earth. But if you really want to go far back, the Bambi trailer depicts it as a heartwarming story about Bambi's childhood. Nowhere even hinted is the death of Bambi's mother.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLvX-erABqY

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Ror posted:

I just want to be spoiled on how Taskmaster ends up in the movie. He's like the perfect candidate for recurring minor antagonist in the MCU and I'll be so disappointed if they fumbled that.

The movie takes place ~6 years ago and I haven't seen him in the last half decade, have you?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Ror posted:

From what I gather from looking at twitter....

Taskmaster is another lady assassin, and then she gets beaten and deprogramed at the end of the film.

Also the Black Widow post credit scene is:

Julia Louis-Dreyfus showing up as the Contessa and recruiting Natasha's friend to "avenge her fallen friend" by sending her after Hawkeye - thus setting up the Hawkeye Disney+ show

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Timby posted:

Infamously, Alien 3's first trailer said "on Earth, everyone can hear you scream," despite the movie not taking place anywhere near Earth. But if you really want to go far back, the Bambi trailer depicts it as a heartwarming story about Bambi's childhood. Nowhere even hinted is the death of Bambi's mother.

Trailers have always been slightly misleading about stuff, I'm talking about editing single elements within shots to hide stuff.

The trailers for Return of the Jedi might be an example, which featured Luke using a blue lightsaber instead of green. The story I've always heard was that they had to change it to green because it wasn't visible against the blue sky, but it could also have been done to obfuscate the fact he built a new one, similar to what happened with Thor's weapon.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

In Ragnarok's trailers:

- They edit out Thor's missing eye.
- They make it look like Loki is coming after Thor on the bridge in Asgard.

In the Infinity War trailers:

- They CGI all the shots of Hulkbuster Armor to be the Hulk.
- They edit the Gauntlet on Thanos' hand to show that he only has two gems during Wakanda, when he actually had them all.
- They have several dead people show up in group shots.
- They have several scenes that don't ever show up in the movie that include people who get dusted standing around in Wakanda.
- They edit a lot of dialogue from different parts of the movie together.
- They edit a lot of footage of Iron Man's nanomachine suit to look like regular clothes.
- There's footage of Heimdal fighting in a forest somewhere (despite him dying 5 minutes into the movie on a spaceship).
- Thanos has several voiceovers that were recorded for the trailer and don't appear in the movie.

In the Endgame trailers:

- They edit Cap's shield to not be broken during the fight with Thanos
- Professor Hulk is edited out of several shots to make it look like it is just Rocket Raccoon in a lab.
- They edited out backgrounds of New Asgard.
- They showed Iron Man stranded in Space in edited him out of scenes on Earth.
- Nebula's jackets and head plate are edited to different colors to make it look like the "evil" version is the normal one.
- They edit Captain America's costume to be his battered Infinity War costume when he time travels back to 2012.
- They edited Giant Man and Hulk out of shots that feature Rocket/War Machine/Giant Man/Hulk in the movie, Fat Thor is edited out of a lot of group shots and shown as normal Thor.
- They edit in Mjolnir and a cape to obscure Thor's new costume and weapon.
- They dyed RDJ's hair for scenes to obscure the time jump.

drat, this is an thorough list! Thanks a ton. Going to check these out later. I expected stuff like "they edit part of a Thanos speech and play it over a shot to make it seem like he's talking about something else" but not "they put the Hulk in place of the Hulkbuster armor" which is a cool swerve

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Guy A. Person posted:

drat, this is an thorough list! Thanks a ton. Going to check these out later. I expected stuff like "they edit part of a Thanos speech and play it over a shot to make it seem like he's talking about something else" but not "they put the Hulk in place of the Hulkbuster armor" which is a cool swerve

The latter is another case of the Russo’s changing their minds, rather than something mocked up just for the trailers; originally, Hulk would have gotten over his fear of Thanos in the last act and merged his personalities into Professor Hulk in Infinity War, rather than between movies, but the Russos felt that the timing of the transformation stepped on the emotional beats of the rest of the battle, taking away from Thor’s entrance and Thanos’s reversal, so they axed it

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

The latter is another case of the Russo’s changing their minds, rather than something mocked up just for the trailers; originally, Hulk would have gotten over his fear of Thanos in the last act and merged his personalities into Professor Hulk in Infinity War, rather than between movies, but the Russos felt that the timing of the transformation stepped on the emotional beats of the rest of the battle, taking away from Thor’s entrance and Thanos’s reversal, so they axed it

I remember the Russo brothers insisting that it wasn't that the Hulk was scared of Thanos, but that he wasn't coming out because he felt like Banner didn't respect him enough or something like that.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Dammerung posted:

I remember the Russo brothers insisting that it wasn't that the Hulk was scared of Thanos, but that he wasn't coming out because he felt like Banner didn't respect him enough or something like that.

I will say that the Thanos/Hulk sequence is incredibly lame even by the MCU's own standards.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I will say that the Thanos/Hulk sequence is incredibly lame even by the MCU's own standards.

All they had to do was a classic fight move of Thanos rolling and tossing hulk through the spaceship hull and into outer space to drift for a while, but why even put a tiny amount of effort into anything

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

Once again though, it goes with how big of a deal endgame was. Like it was the end of an era. Kids have grown up during the time the MCU started.

Like yeah it’s pompous but it’s like...huge. Star Wars did the same thing for TFA. Maybe not quite as elegant but ya know.

TFA was poo poo and that was ridiculous as well.

Timby posted:

There's a good chance that's simply because that was the script they were working on at that point. 'tortured' really understates how bad the production of that movie was.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

teagone posted:

I remember the trailer shot in Predators (2010) where Adrien Brody has a bunch of Predator laster sights pointed on him, but in the actual movie it's just one.

That was a great trailer and a pretty good B movie, honestly.

Completely stacked cast in retrospect too.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
So, watched the last of the movies I'd checked out from the library, Shazam. That was good, clean fun.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
I dunno if I would call it clean, it's framing of poor single moms ain't great

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Snowman_McK posted:

TFA was poo poo and that was ridiculous as well.

Fuckin whatever dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

ookiimarukochan posted:

It's not "Australia getting it first" - it came out in most of the world before Australia, it's just that the USA gets most big films last now.

And it works because I imagine most Americans can't even conceive of not getting everything first.